PDA

View Full Version : Need help w/ repaint color

mktng
05-27-2013, 07:24 AM
So I picked up a 2000 Marinoni Squadra (SLX New) for my girlfriend.
Super nice bike. But I know the color is sort of bland. Im planning on having them repaint it since the Marinoni HQ is only 2 hrs away from me.

I want some ideas for colors. Inspiration :) !

The plan is to have it painted w/ full chromed rear and chromed fork.
So the color will have to work well with that.
It will most likely sport Dura Ace 7800. So the color will also have to work well with those colors.

She doesn't want another white bike. It'll be her third.
She doesn't like my Saronni red nago..

Any idea's w/ pictures !! or even color codes would be amazing.

oldpotatoe
05-27-2013, 07:29 AM
So I picked up a 2000 Marinoni Squadra (SLX New) for my girlfriend.
Super nice bike. But I know the color is sort of bland. Im planning on having them repaint it since the Marinoni HQ is only 2 hrs away from me.

I want some ideas for colors. Inspiration :) !

The plan is to have it painted w/ full chromed rear and chromed fork.
So the color will have to work well with that.
It will most likely sport Dura Ace 7800. So the color will also have to work well with those colors.

She doesn't want another white bike. It'll be her third.
She doesn't like my Saronni red nago..

Any idea's w/ pictures !! or even color codes would be amazing.

Err..have you asked her?

mktng
05-27-2013, 07:34 AM
Err..have you asked her?

Yes we spoke about it and we both cant think of anything that would be nice + we're trying to avoid simple basic colors. Guess we both lack the imagination hah

oldpotatoe
05-27-2013, 07:38 AM
Yes we spoke about it and we both cant think of anything that would be nice + we're trying to avoid simple basic colors. Guess we both lack the imagination hah

Pastel?
Metallic?
Dark/Light?

mktng
05-27-2013, 07:41 AM
Pastel?
Metallic?
Dark/Light?

Dark
Metallic.
I ran some pictures by her of NJS frames/ paint w/ flakes. Shes not big on the flash aspect of that.

I personally like the Gios Blue. Its simple yes. But super classy.
But thats just my personal taste.
Im currently going through the Steel Part thread for some idea's.

oldpotatoe
05-27-2013, 07:46 AM
Dark
Metallic.
I ran some pictures by her of NJS frames/ paint w/ flakes. Shes not big on the flash aspect of that.

I personally like the Gios Blue. Its simple yes. But super classy.
But thats just my personal taste.
Im currently going through the Steel Part thread for some idea's.

Some ideas

http://www.waterfordbikes.com

go under 'ordering' and 'finish'

DRZRM
05-27-2013, 07:49 AM
Blue
Orange
Blue and orange (gulf scheme)

phcollard
05-27-2013, 07:56 AM
Marinoni paint is not expensive but it very fragile. I speak from experience with several bikes.

If I was you I would give it a bit more budget and go with Noah Rosen in Toronto. He has a special price for a basic paint job drop-in only. Check his website or give him a call. Very nice guy! And his paint jobs are outstanding, even the very basic ones.

MattTuck
05-27-2013, 09:01 AM
You may want to check out the color ideas thread (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=123502&highlight=color+ideas+thread) for inspiration.

ckamp
05-27-2013, 10:16 AM
Marinoni paint is not expensive but it very fragile. I speak from experience with several bikes.

If I was you I would give it a bit more budget and go with Noah Rosen in Toronto. He has a special price for a basic paint job drop-in only. Check his website or give him a call. Very nice guy! And his paint jobs are outstanding, even the very basic ones.

I agree with the paint comment. I am wanting to do the same with my marinoni, several people have mentioned that the paint is a bit weaker these days (since carbon became popular, different paint type for bonding?). Perhaps a clear afterwards may help out. Its hard to beat his repaint price and go somewhere else to pay double+.

mktng
05-27-2013, 10:19 AM
I agree with the paint comment. I am wanting to do the same with my marinoni, several people have mentioned that the paint is a bit weaker these days (since carbon became popular, different paint type for bonding?). Perhaps a clear afterwards may help out. Its hard to beat his repaint price and go somewhere else to pay double+.

Thats the thing. Price + having it painted by the original builder is always a bonus. They are always happy to see their steel frames come back to get repainted.

I'll shop around. but I think i'll stick with going back to Marinoni

zennmotion
05-27-2013, 10:24 AM

Ecoutez, il a de raison
+1 for velocolour. You really like this woman right? You came here for ideas you didn't already have, right? Trust me, your girlfriend has better taste than you, so point her to Noah, and then back away from the process until it comes time to pay. You are paying, right?

http://velocolour.com/portfolio/olmo/
This is how to make a restoration better than the original
http://velocolour.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/vc_proj_OLMO01.jpg

phcollard
05-27-2013, 10:32 AM
Thats the thing. Price + having it painted by the original builder is always a bonus. They are always happy to see their steel frames come back to get repainted.

I'll shop around. but I think i'll stick with going back to Marinoni

Your call but you cannot say I didn't warn you :)

mktng
05-27-2013, 10:37 AM
arrrrggg.

Its the chroming that's nice at Marinoni.
+ the chroming that's the present for this repaint is the pricey part of the process.

The paint is amazing at velocolour though.

Let me contact them :P

phcollard
05-27-2013, 10:43 AM
arrrrggg.

Its the chroming that's nice at Marinoni.
+ the chroming that's the present for this repaint is the pricey part of the process.

The paint is amazing at velocolour though.

Let me contact them :P

Tell Noah that Philippe from Montreal sent you. He refinished a Hampsten for me and the paint job was sublime. You won't regret the upgrade to Velocolour!

PS Note that if the original chrome is still nice it can be masked before anything is done on the frame.

mktng
05-27-2013, 10:45 AM
Tell Noah that Philippe from Montreal sent you. He refinished a Hampsten for me and the paint job was sublime. You won't regret the upgrade to Velocolour!

PS Note that if the original chrome is still nice it can be masked before anything is done on the frame.

We spoke about what she would like. Told her chroming whole rear and fork would be too pricey. But i lied. That was my gift on top of the repaint.
The frame right now only has the drive side chainstay chromed.

mktng
05-27-2013, 10:48 AM
just emailed VeloColour.
we shall see what $$$ im looking at.

zennmotion
05-27-2013, 10:55 AM
just emailed VeloColour.
we shall see what $$$ im looking at.

Noah is likely traveling back from the VS Ballers Ride today- where that Olmo made an appearance on an epic gravel adventure over the weekend. Definitely not wall art.