PDA

View Full Version : Open Pro wear

flydhest
05-26-2013, 07:19 PM
So, I know this has been discussed some, but my search wasn't successful. I was just out in Colorado riding. The bike I keep there has Open Pros. Down a long descent with some rain (got rained on on Rist Canyon----eek) I started worrying about the grit I could hear. Get to the bottom and there is some slight grooves you can feel and a bit of a feeling of concavity on the front, but not the back. (I use the front brake a lot more than the rear.) how do you know when an Open Pro is cooked? These are 10 years old, but with fewer than 15k miles. The last three years, they have got about 300 miles per year, as I am out in CO only twice a year.

I could take them to a shop, but it seems like asking a barber of you need a haircut.

akelman
05-26-2013, 07:25 PM
I don't think anyone will be able to offer a useful diagnosis over the internet. Given that, were it me, I'd bring them to Vecchio's (http://www.vecchios.com/). Peter will be honest with you, and seeing the shop is worth the trip.

eddief
05-26-2013, 07:26 PM
the last time in any significant rain i was ascending to about half way up Mt Tam when it started to pour. on the way back down the mountain there was traffic and rain and lots of braking to keep all under some control. all i heard was a sandpaper sound coming from the rims. not sure if it was grit from the road or more likely the brake pads not liking being wet. when done there was brake gook all offer the brake holder and dripping mascara all over the rims. this was not on my open pros but rather my A23 set. my recollection is pros have machined surfaces and those are sort of groovey even when new. not sure how you measure wear on them though.

Louis
05-26-2013, 07:33 PM
As much as I dislike the concept of disc brakes on a road bike (for aesthetic and technical reasons) one could argue that this is one situation where disc might be better - at least the wear surfaces can be replaced without having to trash an entire wheel.

cash05458
05-26-2013, 07:34 PM
if you can stop on the things and they are in decent shape...you only ride them twice a year...maybe they are fine...twice a year should last you forever and I wouldn't worry about it...akelman is right tho, great shop near you so ask Peter...he could tell you in a sec...

Peter P.
05-26-2013, 09:48 PM
I've cracked a lot of rims and none of the failures have been catastrophic.

Some rims have a wear indicator on the sidewall such as a groove or a pair of dots. When the indicator disappears, replace the rim.

From the Mavic web site, it doesn't appear the Open Pro has this feature.

The way I can usually tell the rim is nearing toast is, I'll apply the brake and it will feel like there's a flat spot on the rim-you'll feel a pulsing or a little "tick" as the affected section passes the brake pads. You might be inclined to think the rim splice is the problem. But, if you run your thumb and forefinger along the sidewall as you rotate the wheel you might actually feel the defect. Do this with the tire fully inflated as tire pressure will help flare out the thinning sidewall.

If you can't detect anything this way, don't worry about it.

Ken Robb
05-26-2013, 11:42 PM
If you lay a straight edge across the braking area you should be able to detect how much concavity there is. If you have a set of calipers you could measure for variations in thickness of the rim in different parts of the rim.

oldpotatoe
05-27-2013, 07:00 AM
So, I know this has been discussed some, but my search wasn't successful. I was just out in Colorado riding. The bike I keep there has Open Pros. Down a long descent with some rain (got rained on on Rist Canyon----eek) I started worrying about the grit I could hear. Get to the bottom and there is some slight grooves you can feel and a bit of a feeling of concavity on the front, but not the back. (I use the front brake a lot more than the rear.) how do you know when an Open Pro is cooked? These are 10 years old, but with fewer than 15k miles. The last three years, they have got about 300 miles per year, as I am out in CO only twice a year.

I could take them to a shop, but it seems like asking a barber of you need a haircut.

Concave means the rim sidewall is wearing and eventually, and probably soon, the pressure in the tire will make the rim sidewalls bow-out, time for new a new rim.

coylifut
05-27-2013, 09:48 AM
if it is concave and you are worrying about it, it is time to replace the rim. I've ridden a couple to catastrophic failure. Both of them rears. One while riding leaving me stranded, one in the garage un attended. I wouldn't chance it on the front.

Hindmost
05-27-2013, 11:45 AM
Yeah, replace if there are signs of significant wear.

My experience with Open Pros and Reflex before them was that they would last several seasons including wet weather and a lot of descending without approaching sidewall failure. Usually had to replace due to cracking at the ferrules and ferrule failure.

Rode a damp three-week tour of the Dolomites and Italian Alps where we had to replace brake pads due to wear. Never saw concerning signs of sidewall wear.

bshell
05-27-2013, 11:52 AM
You don't want to be worried about the safety of your equipment while riding.

A good friend had a catastrophic failure of his front rim this way while he was commuting home and got launched from his bike and knocked unconscious/severely rashed up.

He knew both rims were ancient but he assumed there would be early signs like brake rub from a gradually widening rim...instead of failure and the tire peeling off in a corner.

Lewis Moon
05-27-2013, 12:10 PM
got rained on on Rist Canyon----eek

Eek indeed. One of my favorite all time rides. I still can envision (aka dream) topping out past the firehouse and the small alpine fields. It broke my heart when the area burned. People in the canyon used to take pity and invite me onto their porches for lemonade. Gawd I miss that ride.