PDA

View Full Version : Cycles Bikyle feedback...

Ryun
05-25-2013, 08:05 AM
Any feedback on their service is appreciated...

I am looking to order a couple special frame sets that will take a while to get and would like to hookup with a solid Peg dealer...
They seem to have a solid relationship with Dario so it seems like the simple choice.

Any red flags with them?
Thanks
Ryun

johnniecakes
05-25-2013, 08:55 AM
I have had some simple retail transactions with them that were fine. I have not had a fitting or ordered a complete bike so I cannot speak to those services but based on my retail experience I would have no hesistations. Staff was efficient with out being over bearing.

mvrider
05-25-2013, 10:34 AM
Where do you live? There are other dealers besides Bikyle that might be closer to you.

In the Bay Area, we are lucky to have two excellent ones: Velotech in Palo Alto, and Above Category in Marin County. Both are in contact with Dario directly, but still have to go through Gita for distribution.

Fishbike
05-25-2013, 10:49 AM
I bought a Peg Responsorium there after picking it out in their website. I called and emailed them a few times and then happened to be in Philly and visited the shop in Bryn Mawr. I bought the frame and headset, had it shipped to me and built it myself. No issues. The shop is small and rather unremarkable except for the number of Pegorettis. The owner -- Kyle -- seems like a knowledgable guy.

pdmtong
05-25-2013, 11:17 AM
A friend of mine received his respo from bikyle - the rd hanger was bent

His regular lbs did not carry peg so he ended up taking it to Velotech to have Tom straighten it rather than the hassle of shipping it back to Kyle

Kyle still has to pick stock from Gita warehouse He doesn't carry inventory. If you want special order I'd go with jerk or call chad at AC or Tom/mark at Velotech. Velotech has Dario's trophy from nahbs 2 in the shop and had/has the Venetian respo and pista from interbike last fall

Both Velotech and AC sell nationally. It's actually likely that your custom would build faster than a stock since Dario holds some spaces in the queue for that. I assume you want custom geo or at least cut the headtube since i run my stock 55 slammed and you are at last 3cm lower than my 7-8cm drop

Also as for paint - Dario can be given some basic guidelines and perhaps a few specific nuances but there really isn't telling him exactly how you want it to come out. That's the perspective I got when I asked awhile ago

WickedWheels
05-25-2013, 05:45 PM
PM Sent

merlincustom1
05-25-2013, 07:43 PM
I've known Kyle since '84 when his bike shop was in the basement of his rental home in Bryn Mawr. He did the fit on a Basso Gap then. Good fitter, no issues. In '99 he measured me up for a Merlin Extralight. Again a good fit, no issues. In '10, I went with a Peg Duende fixed gear. The frame was quoted at 24 months lead time but came in around 14 months. Another great fit. I'm 6'6, 185. Kyle is a good guy and knows his stuff.

jmeloy
05-25-2013, 10:33 PM
Got my peg there and when I visited the shop there were at least a dozen pegs in stock. Also, worked with Dario on a custom version of his CTS and he was very accommodating.

jmeloy
05-25-2013, 10:34 PM
By custom, I mean paint :)

chuckred
05-25-2013, 11:13 PM
Any feedback on their service is appreciated...

I am looking to order a couple special frame sets that will take a while to get and would like to hookup with a solid Peg dealer...
They seem to have a solid relationship with Dario so it seems like the simple choice.

Any red flags with them?
Thanks
Ryun

It's been 12 or more years, but I had great experience with the shop...bought my Torellii there and still love it and the fit.

maldav
01-23-2020, 01:12 PM
I ordered a bike (custom Peg) through this shop. The process should have been special, but instead it was anything but. This shop is deceptive, disingenuous and disinterested in providing anything in the way of customer service that runs counter to its established business practices (the final price was 9% over because of an undocumented fee the shop slipped in; an offer to split the difference of the disputed amount was rejected out of hand by Kyle Schmeer, the shop owner). An awful shop in every way. Shop here at peril to your sensibilities and savings. If decide to buy a bike from this shop after reading this, just make sure you get *everything* in writing. You might get the bike you want, but the process will rob you of the joy.

If you'd like more info, you're welcome to PM me.

rallizes
01-23-2020, 01:28 PM
Welcome to the forum...

maldav
01-23-2020, 01:41 PM
Thanks

fignon's barber
01-24-2020, 05:43 AM
Bought my first real race bike (Atala Columbus SL w/ chorus index shifting) from Kyle back in 1988. There was no internet back then, nor any good English language magazines, so my intro to racing was through his shop. He'd hire guys who raced in Europe to work in the shop, and they'd do talks on training/riding/maint and tell stories of their adventures on Saturday mornings (for free). Good, honest shop that's been a fixture for almost 40 years, owned by a guy who's made cycling his life.

tiretrax
01-24-2020, 04:36 PM
The OP had a recent transaction in which he's reporting how he was taken advantage for a recently deceased framemaker's custom work, not a bike off the rack. Sounds like the limited ability of staff to work with him made this possible. Kyle should have been completely transparent. It's now wonder people buy off the web rather than an LBS. Bike shops were clubhouses that people wanted to patronize before the internet made it possible to get a 25% discount from virtual UK bike shops. Sounds like Kyle has had to find a way to make up the lost revenue.

Bought my first real race bike (Atala Columbus SL w/ chorus index shifting) from Kyle back in 1988. There was no internet back then, nor any good English language magazines, so my intro to racing was through his shop. He'd hire guys who raced in Europe to work in the shop, and they'd do talks on training/riding/maint and tell stories of their adventures on Saturday mornings (for free). Good, honest shop that's been a fixture for almost 40 years, owned by a guy who's made cycling his life.

Kirk007
01-24-2020, 05:46 PM
The OP had a recent transaction

Not the OP rather a new poster on the forum who dug up a 7 year old thread to post about a bad transaction whereas all the older posts were positive. Maybe things have gone south, and buying a Peg should certainly be a joyous one not what this poster described.

There was a lot going on with the existing inventory of Peg's after Dario's death though - would be interested in knowing if this was a frame caught up in all of that or a new frame out of the Pegoretti workshop. In any event it would be good to know if others have had good/bad experiences recently as Kyle has been a consistent presence on the internet re Peg frames and forks.

OtayBW
01-25-2020, 09:41 AM
I bought a Falz 2 from them for my Respo. Nice shop, very accomodating, no issues. I believe they've been affiliated with Peg for some time...

tv_vt
01-25-2020, 10:44 AM
I bought a Falz 2 from them for my Respo. Nice shop, very accomodating, no issues. I believe they've been affiliated with Peg for some time...

Exact same purchase and experience for me. Zero complaints.

Why is this thread even going right now? The fact that the original post was seven years ago and the shop is still there doing business tells me they're doing something right.

fignon's barber
01-25-2020, 10:53 AM
Why is this thread even going right now? The fact that the original post was seven years ago and the shop is still there doing business tells me they're doing something right.

Because some dude had an argument with a shop owner and tried to weaponize an internet forum to seek revenge. That's the way some do business in the woke/cancel culture of 2020.

rallizes
01-25-2020, 11:02 AM
I sent a PM for more details but eh whatever

the 'review' is posted here too

i guess the poster joined just to post it

https://forums.roadbikereview.com/hot-deals/has-anyone-purchase-cycle-bikyle-before-145756.html

54ny77
01-25-2020, 11:08 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umj0gu5nEGs

XXtwindad
01-25-2020, 11:14 AM
Because some dude had an argument with a shop owner and tried to weaponize an internet forum to seek revenge. That's the way some do business in the woke/cancel culture of 2020.

That's a really interesting response. I had to mull it over a bit. I think you're on to something. I know quite a view business owners who can't stand "Yelp." Whatever good PR results from their listing, they live in constant fear from the (potentially) unwarranted bad PR that a disgruntled reviewer can leave.

But, for the sake of playing Devil's Advocate, assuming you had a really bad experience with a bike shop/parts manufacturer/bike builder, etc..., and assuming you went through the proper channels to remedy the situation, would you not be justified in posting about your experiences on a bike forum? I don't have the answer to that.

I've never left a bad review on any type of public forum. Mostly, because I don't think any of my experiences warranted it, but also because I'm a small business owner, so I have a lot of empathy for people in similar situations.

nobuseri
01-25-2020, 11:23 AM
Necro thread, so I will add my $0.02.

Bought my Peg Responsorium through them. Other than getting a silver D11 headset when I asked for black, the experience was great. Fast shipping (GITA to them in PA, then to me in VA), and the chased and faced the usual spots before it got to my hands.

OtayBW
01-25-2020, 11:24 AM
But, for the sake of playing Devil's Advocate, assuming you had a really bad experience with a bike shop/parts manufacturer/bike builder, etc..., and assuming you went through the proper channels to remedy the situation, would you not be justified in posting about your experiences on a bike forum? I don't have the answer to that.Slightly OT: I bought a fairly expensive uke a while ago that came to me from the builder defective (the top developed a split within a week after I took possession). The builder went dark, and when I POLITELY inquired within the appropriate section on the principal uke forum - with no names mentioned - the response was very noncommittal, bordering to implicit support for the builder. I would have been justified in outting this bozo, but I went in with the spirit of inquiring to 'the experts' and left with with no useful information coming of that.

This really does stick in my craw, though....:mad:

pjbaz
01-25-2020, 11:28 AM

I chose not to post when it occurred but I had a less than perfect experience trying to get a Falz2 from them. I won't say it was awful and I'm not going to consider them in the future, but it wasn't how I expect to be treated.

Long story, poor communication was the issue, the product was exactly as described and the shipping was secure - so secure it's still in the shipping box.

XXtwindad
01-25-2020, 11:32 AM
Slightly OT: I bought a fairly expensive uke a while ago that came to me from the builder defective (the top developed a split within a week after I took possession). The builder went dark, and when I POLITELY inquired within the appropriate section on the principal uke forum - with no names mentioned - the response was very noncommittal, bordering to implicit support for the builder. I would have been justified in outting this bozo, but I went in with the spirit of inquiring to 'the experts' and left with with no useful information coming of that.

This really does stick in my craw, though....:mad:

Well, I think this illustrates my point. There's a really stark line between vindictive and educational. We don't know enough about the recently posted transaction to know the difference. It sounds like you exhausted all the remedies available to you, so you might have been justified in doing a social media "rant" ….

OtayBW
01-25-2020, 11:34 AM
Well, I think this illustrates my point. There's a really stark line between vindictive and educational. We don't know enough about the recently posted transaction to know the difference. It sounds like you exhausted all the remedies available to you, so you might have been justified in doing a social media "rant" ….That still may happen, but if it does, I can tell you that it will happen out of what I might call 'tempered righteous indignation' rather than short-term emotional venting....

XXtwindad
01-25-2020, 11:36 AM
That still may happen, but if it does, I can tell you that it will happen out of what I might call 'tempered righteous indignation' rather than short-term emotional venting....

There's a term for this. It's called "tweeting."

DaveS
01-25-2020, 11:36 AM
Well, I think this illustrates my point. There's a really stark line between vindictive and educational. We don't know enough about the recently posted transaction to know the difference. It sounds like you exhausted all the remedies available to you, so you might have been justified in doing a social media "rant" ….

I'm not sure where to draw the line either, but I do tend to view these type of complaints differently if A- it's a longtime user of the forum vs. B- it's a new user who has signed up for the purpose of complaining about a transaction.

I'm honestly not sure if that's justified or not, just my own 2 cents...

OtayBW
01-25-2020, 11:38 AM
There's a term for this. It's called "tweeting."Nah - I do not equate the two at all....:rolleyes:

XXtwindad
01-25-2020, 11:47 AM
I'm not sure where to draw the line either, but I do tend to view these type of complaints differently if A- it's a longtime user of the forum vs. B- it's a new user who has signed up for the purpose of complaining about a transaction.

Good point.

OtayBW
01-25-2020, 11:49 AM

Fair point. That was actually some of the feedback that I got on that uke forum. Too new and I got dinged for that. I'm not new any longer......

fignon's barber
01-25-2020, 01:18 PM
There's a really stark line between vindictive and educational..

Yeah, I think as the internet has evolved (or devolved), I've developed my own personal way I view this kind of stuff. I disregard nonspecific attacks like the one in this thread. To me, looks like the guy went on some kind of revenge campaign. There's no useful info there.
An example of a useful review: I read a review of a popular local pizza place where the customer posted about a pizza he received at the restaurant. The pizza arrived at the table with a used band aid baked into it (cell phone photo attached!) and described the confrontational back and forth with the owner. Useful review, as it alerted those not into that sort of thing to avoid.

Ryun
01-25-2020, 01:20 PM
As I was the OP back in 2013...
I have since bought 3 pegs from them with another on order.
A few forks and posts.
They are all custom and a couple were difficult to get.
Each time they under promised and over delivered.
Even my BLE and Day is done which were seemingly impossible to order came in a timely fashion with good communication. Pricing was fair and they do a fair amount of frame prep before shipping which is rare compared to even small custom builders these days.
I do think sometimes the communication in the past from Pegoretti was a bit vague and inconsistent in terms of promise times and availability. Not sure if this has improved lately but tough to hang that on Kyle.
If anything I found his ability to get a custom order through to Dario better than others
Just my 2 cents to close the 7 yr loop

sonicCows
01-25-2020, 01:20 PM
I ordered a bike (custom Peg) through this shop. The process should have been special, but instead it was anything but. This shop is deceptive, disingenuous and disinterested in providing anything in the way of customer service that runs counter to its established business practices (the final price was 9% over because of an undocumented fee the shop slipped in; an offer to split the difference of the disputed amount was rejected out of hand by Kyle Schmeer, the shop owner). An awful shop in every way. Shop here at peril to your sensibilities and savings. If decide to buy a bike from this shop after reading this, just make sure you get *everything* in writing. You might get the bike you want, but the process will rob you of the joy.

If you'd like more info, you're welcome to PM me.

9% doesn't sound like much but even for a Duende that's $300–that wasn't a tax/shipping/importation fee was it?