PDA

View Full Version : SRAM XX1 vs 2x10

jerome
05-25-2013, 04:34 AM
Hi,

I am in the process to get a few new bikes (FireFly MTB)

Should I suppress the cable tags for the front and move to a XX1 system ?
or should I stay with my Shimano 2x10 and Carbon Ti rings (22/34)

Will XX1 the new standard ?

thank you

buddybikes
05-25-2013, 05:58 AM
How can people answer this?
1. What type of riding do you do
2. Where is that riding
3. Do you mind slightly larger steps between gears
4. Do you just want to make you bike look different

oldpotatoe
05-25-2013, 07:10 AM
Hi,

I am in the process to get a few new bikes (FireFly MTB)

Should I suppress the cable tags for the front and move to a XX1 system ?
or should I stay with my Shimano 2x10 and Carbon Ti rings (22/34)

Will XX1 the new standard ?

thank you

Considering the hub requirement and HUGE cost of a cogset for XX, doubt it will be any standard. Just built a Moots with XT 2by10 and gotta say, it works VERY well.

jerome
05-25-2013, 01:07 PM
How can people answer this?
1. What type of riding do you do

Fire roads - trails - adventure cycling in the hills - usually long rides always with some elevation 1000m or +3000 feet average
not a downhiller at all

2. Where is that riding

South of France Alpilles Lubéron Ventoux where I live - Alps where I spend the rest of my time weekend and vacation French Italian or Swiss

3. Do you mind slightly larger steps between gears
May be yes because I always looking for the best adequation

4. Do you just want to make you bike look different
Not at all don't care - I am selfish ;-)

jerome
05-25-2013, 01:08 PM
Considering the hub requirement and HUGE cost of a cogset for XX, doubt it will be any standard. Just built a Moots with XT 2by10 and gotta say, it works VERY well.

I ride XTR 2x10 and I love it on my Moots MX RSL

if you ride 29er check for some Carbon Ti chainrings very very nice and the gearing ratio is much better.

fjaws
05-25-2013, 07:29 PM
Carbon, Ti, Steel, Aluminum....I always thought it was the number of teeth that made the difference not the material or the price tag! :rolleyes:

vqdriver
05-26-2013, 12:46 AM
Try the xx1 if if floats your boat. I don't know your terrain or gear requirements but the cockpit with the single twist shifter is CLEEEAAAAAN. Xx1 or 2x10, I'd get the front der cable guides in when making the frame just for future consideration. You'll have the rear cabling regardless so you won't notice the unused stops for the front.

jerome
05-30-2013, 01:15 AM
Carbon, Ti, Steel, Aluminum....I always thought it was the number of teeth that made the difference not the material or the price tag! :rolleyes:

You have lot of imagination !

yes Ti make a difference even on chainrings and you will save money if it was you are interesting about.

Does America getting each day a bit more like France :hello::)

jerome
05-30-2013, 01:19 AM
Try the xx1 if if floats your boat. I don't know your terrain or gear requirements but the cockpit with the single twist shifter is CLEEEAAAAAN. Xx1 or 2x10, I'd get the front der cable guides in when making the frame just for future consideration. You'll have the rear cabling regardless so you won't notice the unused stops for the front.

yes you might be right

it is what I like simplicity but on another hand I am scared that it will be too minimalist for a confortable riding experience.
I am riding all kind of terrain in the South of France where it is rocky to the Alps where you have long strenuous climbs.
I am not a competitor more an adventure rider that need to have something done.

CK is not making hubs for XX1 too yet.

mod6
05-30-2013, 08:50 AM
I would build the bike with the cable tags for the front to allow for option to run a 2x or 3x set up. That said I think a 24/34 combo with a 36 rear cass covers about the same gear rang as the 32t front xx1 set up. So it really depends as other have said. Riding style and how deep your pockets are when the rear cassette or derailleur needs replacing. I am running a 1x10 setup on a Niner RDO and find it works great for endurance racing in North East in the US. I find 2 or 3x setups become use less on a muddy course.

Jack Brunk
05-30-2013, 09:28 AM
I would wait until the bugs are worked out with the XX1. My LBS is having a boatload of warranty issues with chains, shifters and RD. So much so that Sram is way behind on getting warranty replacement parts to the shop. Hopefully they will get worked out for 2014.

snowcrash19
05-30-2013, 09:45 AM
2x10 for sure, less hassle, cheaper, and really its not an insane weight savings.

bluesea
05-30-2013, 10:21 AM
Whats wrong with 1x10?

jh_on_the_cape
05-30-2013, 12:50 PM

I was shocked by the $500 price tag of the cassette. That is a wear item.
Then you need a special hub, and if you like nice wheels, that's $$$.

I would go 2x10. When that gruppo gets a bit long in the tooth, see what they have done with XX1.

Or you can toss your money as an early adopter and work out the bugs for the rest of us!

John H.
05-30-2013, 03:11 PM
If XX1 can meet your gearing requirements in terms of low gear I say go for it.
I was a happy 2x10 guy- thought I had no reason to change.
Then I started riding with other guys who were on XX1 and I realized how dynamic one could be in reacting to grade changes with a single ring. Plus the XX1 is so quiet- like a road bike.
True story, yesterday I was doing this climb called blythedale ridge- has some crazy steep pitches in it. I was following a buddy up. At the top of the steep stuff he let up on the pedals- I also hit his back wheel. He was super surprised that I was still on his wheel because he could not hear anything.
Anyway, consider me an XX1 convert. I am riding a 26" Full sus bike with a 120mm fork and it weighs less than 21.5 lb. And that is with aluminum wheels.
I run a 30 tooth chainring because we have lots of climbing. My 29er buddies train with a 28 tooth.