PDA

View Full Version : WooHoo!! Cool New Tool!!

Bill Bove
12-05-2005, 06:17 PM
I just bought a new tool for installing the new style Shimano outboard bottom bracket bearings. It's a cup like tool that fits over the whole bearing and fits onto a 3/8 ratchet. Makes installing/removing the BB a snap :banana: It's called the Monkey Grip and it's made by Aggro Monkey Tools. They don't have a website but their e-mail is aggromonkeytools@abecycling.com abecycling is Arizona Bicycle Experts in Tucson, a cool shop in a bike cool town. I just used it to install the BB in Bruce K's sons new Ridley and I didn't chip the paint :banana: :banana: WooHoo :banana: :banana:

hypnos
12-05-2005, 08:40 PM
Will this tool also work with an FSA Mega-exo bottom bracket? What is the price?

Idris Icabod
12-05-2005, 10:14 PM
Interesting. I bought my Moots from the guys at Arizona Bicycle Experts. A very cool shop and a great group of guys. Didn't know that they machined tools. Their web site is:
http://abecycling.com/site/intro.cfm

Too Tall
12-06-2005, 06:37 AM
Hypnos - yep. Infact I used the Shimano tool to install znfndl's FSA crank bearings...good tool BUT ol' Bill has the stuff. I love tools Bill sounds great. The name: Aggro Monkey Tools is hilarious because I've said all along a blind mentally challenged ape could install these bearings on a bad day. Oh the humanity of it all!

PS - No offense odof and none of your cousins were hurt as a result of this message ;)

BdaGhisallo
12-06-2005, 06:56 AM
I hope it works better than the same tool made by Shimano, the TL-FC33. Same idea, socket tool that slips over the whole outboard cup. The problem with it though is that the fit of the tool on the bearing shell is not tight enough so that when you torque it, it moves around and can slip if you don't pay attention. You have to resort to using one hand on the ratchet handle and the other to hold the tool onto the bb. This is compounded by the relative shallowness of the grooves. They aren't deep enough - as in depth inboard of the bike. I don't mean the depth of the groove, about 1-2mm, but the length of each individual groove, about 5-6mm. Have I explained it clearly enough?

Without seeing the new tool you speak of, I would think the ultimate tool would be a nice deep socket that would fit over the whole of the cup so it has a real purchase on it, with male grooves only on the deepest part of the socket to engage the female grooves on the bb cup. That way it would be far less likely to slip off.

I have too much time to think about inane things like this!!!!

ergott
12-06-2005, 07:03 AM
... the ultimate tool ... nice deep ... with male grooves ... to engage the female

I thought this was a family forum!

JAMES!!!

Too Tall
12-06-2005, 07:11 AM
Ergott - hilarious SNL skit...cow bell OMG funny.

BDG... If you put a piece of threaded rod thru the tool and bb, use fender washers and nuts you'd have an awesome tool. That is how I deal with Ultegra and DA BBs which shred pretty easily if you rock the tool.

BdaGhisallo
12-06-2005, 07:19 AM
The tool I am speaking of uses a ratchet handle to turn it so I don't think there would be anyway to get a threaded rod through there and fix it on the side you were removing/tightening. Now I can't remember if it has wrench flats on it. If so then your idea would work, but that would kind of defeat the purpose of having a ratchet drive on the tool.

I'd be interested to see a pic of that new tool if anyone could post one.

And without starting a war over this, bb installation was always the thing that really annoyed me about campy bb's. I never found the bb tool tightly engaged a campy bb leading to a lot of stripped bb cups. In my mind, the ultimate bb cup for installation and removal solidity and ease, was the shimano octalink. All those deep radial grooves with a tool that engaged them with no play!! Wow, now that was a good setup!!!

ergott
12-06-2005, 08:35 AM
And without starting a war over this, bb installation was always the thing that really annoyed me about campy bb's. I never found the bb tool tightly engaged a campy bb leading to a lot of stripped bb cups. In my mind, the ultimate bb cup for installation and removal solidity and ease, was the shimano octalink. All those deep radial grooves with a tool that engaged them with no play!! Wow, now that was a good setup!!!

Use a bolt and bolt the Park tool onto the BB (not too tight). Use a wrench on the wrench flats of the BB tool. Works every time.

ergott
12-06-2005, 08:38 AM
I just bought a new tool for installing the new style Shimano outboard bottom bracket bearings. It's a cup like tool that fits over the whole bearing and fits onto a 3/8 ratchet. Makes installing/removing the BB a snap :banana: It's called the Monkey Grip and it's made by Aggro Monkey Tools. They don't have a website but their e-mail is aggromonkeytools@abecycling.com abecycling is Arizona Bicycle Experts in Tucson, a cool shop in a bike cool town. I just used it to install the BB in Bruce K's sons new Ridley and I didn't chip the paint :banana: :banana: WooHoo :banana: :banana:

I must admit that I've only done one Dura Ace BB, but the tool it came with worked just fine for me. I know that if I was doing the work on a routine basis at a shop I would be more interested in this tool you speek of. If you have a camera take a pic. A lot of guys here want to see this thing!