PDA

View Full Version : "The Best of the BEST!!" custom carbon

Nags&Ducs
05-24-2013, 04:32 PM
So who would you rate as the BOTB for lightweight, custom carbon? I love Colnago, but since they are not particularly lightweight, I didn't include it in my list of contestants.

My thoughts are between the Parlee Z1/Z0, Crumpton SL/Special Project, Sarto Cima Coppi, Storck, Serotta (I added Because I do lie them- just didn't think they hit the 700-800 gm scale so that's why I originally left them off), Guru Photon ( I fooked the pooch when editing and left off the Guru Photon in the poll. Argh!!) and Fondriest TF0.

Basis is weight, stiffness, smoothness, build quality, and aesthetics.

My vote? I couldn't really say, but if you held a gun to my melon...
1) Sarto
2) Parlee
3) Crumpton
4) Fondriest
5) Serotta
6) Storck
7) Guru

I want all of them, but will settle for just one for my 50th birthday (not for 4 more years!)

mktng
05-24-2013, 04:36 PM
HengFu FM066 SL :)

Think of all the money you'll save too !!

bicycletricycle
05-24-2013, 04:37 PM
Serotta too heavy for the list? I vote serotta anyways

AngryScientist
05-24-2013, 04:39 PM
Serotta too heavy for the list? I vote serotta anyways

agree!

raygunner
05-24-2013, 05:02 PM
What about Argonaut?

Fishbike
05-24-2013, 05:03 PM
All are great. The Sarto and Fondriest are flashy Italian. You get panache and heritage. Parlee and Crumpton are among the best of the American small builders. You get quality, customization, subtle beauty.

Me? I would vote Crumpton with one his matte paint jobs -- maybe in blue or bright green.

I am also intrigued by Landshark's carbon frames. But I like unusual paint.

Black Dog
05-24-2013, 05:09 PM
Serrota should very much be in this list. They do make truly custom carbon that they tune to the rider.

MattTuck
05-24-2013, 05:17 PM
Serrota should very much be in this list. They do make truly custom carbon that they tune to the rider.

Word. I've been to their carbon shop in California. I know they do a ton of testing on their stuff, if you're trying to go 'light', I'd have confidence in the quality of Serotta. I can't speak to the others, but trying to go really light raises its own risks.

Uncle Jam's Army
05-24-2013, 05:18 PM
Crumpton

Vientomas
05-24-2013, 05:36 PM
Calfee Dragonfly?

Pete Mckeon
05-24-2013, 05:57 PM
The one that puts SMILE on your face! My #1 is a Serotta full carbon or carbom Ti.:bike: yep i bet that shocked you..............The Parlee and Calfee also in the top tier but Serotta and Parlee z5. Are my favotites pete

Pete Mckeon
05-24-2013, 06:07 PM
I have listed my top three for smoothness, build, and quality in my view (Parlee, Calfee any my favorite 'serotta':)

So who would you rate as the BOTB for lightweight, custom carbon? I love Colnago, but since they are not particularly lightweight, I didn't include it in my list of contestants.

My thoughts are between the Parlee Z1/Z0, Crumpton SL/Special Project, Sarto Cima Coppi, Storck, Serotta (I added Because I do lie them- just didn't think they hit the 700-800 gm scale so that's why I originally left them off), Guru Photon ( I fooked the pooch when editing and left off the Guru Photon in the poll. Argh!!) and Fondriest TF0.

1) Sarto
2) Parlee
3) Crumpton
4) Fondriest
5) Serotta
6) Storck
7) Guru

I want all of them, but will settle for just one for my 50th birthday (not for 4 more years!)

slidey
05-24-2013, 06:10 PM
Custom Carbon, and no Cyfac??

Watt the cuck!

mhespenheide
05-24-2013, 06:20 PM
I've never ridden carbon at all, much less high-end, so I'm not qualified to judge. But if I had a giant chunk of cash that needed to get spent, I'd look at Calfee and Alchemy in addition to your list.

joosttx
05-24-2013, 06:37 PM
What about Argonaut?

Second this

firerescuefin
05-24-2013, 06:44 PM
What about Argonaut?

I've been very impressed by what they've done / are doing with regard to pushing design/production of their frames....has anyone here actually ridden one?

RedRider
05-24-2013, 07:31 PM
Not sure of the top 5 Custom Carbon Builders but these three should be on the list...
- Serotta; MeiVici SE
- Alchemy; Arion, Xanthus or Helios
- Crumpton; Any and all

Johnnyg
05-24-2013, 07:58 PM

1) Sarto
2) Parlee
3) Crumpton
4) Fondriest
5) Serotta
6) Storck
7) Guru

Storck out innovates them all. Testing is second to none. A great machine.

Louis
05-24-2013, 08:06 PM
I've thought that David Lee's Crumpton was very impressive. Link here (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=53917)

(16 lbs as shown)

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h118/nortonmanx/IMG_2590.jpg

vqdriver
05-24-2013, 08:16 PM
Best of the Best?

eric roberts. every time

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/06/Best_of_the_Best_Poster.jpg

mike p
05-24-2013, 08:49 PM
Where's Landshark?

Mike

ludedude
05-24-2013, 09:17 PM
Calfee Dragonfly?
+1 Simple, elegant, and made to go fast!

d_douglas
05-24-2013, 10:30 PM
All are great. The Sarto and Fondriest are flashy Italian. You get panache and heritage. Parlee and Crumpton are among the best of the American small builders. You get quality, customization, subtle beauty.

Me? I would vote Crumpton with one his matte paint jobs -- maybe in blue or bright green.

I am also intrigued by Landshark's carbon frames. But I like unusual paint.

Seconded : I feel like Crumpton is da master. I owned one that did not fit perfectly so sold it, but te perfection of that bike was well noted. I would buy a custom one next time round, pending a lottery win!

I too love the Landsharks. They're a favorite for me.....

sante pollastri
05-24-2013, 11:16 PM
this http://www.bike-science.com/our-bikes-and-frames/legend-bikes/legend-carbon-frames/legend-by-marco-bertoletti-ht-105-bespoke-built-carbon-bicycle-frame-and-fork-p-1719.html

Nags&Ducs
05-24-2013, 11:45 PM
Best of the Best?

eric roberts. every time

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/06/Best_of_the_Best_Poster.jpg

Top Gun. Top Gun!

skouri1
05-25-2013, 02:26 AM
It depends what experience you're looking for--most of these are small manufacturers. Crumpton is a custom builder, though.
I like the meivici a lot, can't get on with the calfee buttresses...
I would go with whoever you trust to deliver the best fit. It obviously has to be emotional too, because really, they all just make bikes.

Marburg
05-25-2013, 02:35 AM
I'd normally gravitate to the domestic options, but would have a hard time choosing between them. Any of them local - or local enough for a road trip?

soulspinner
05-25-2013, 06:24 AM
this http://www.bike-science.com/our-bikes-and-frames/legend-bikes/legend-carbon-frames/legend-by-marco-bertoletti-ht-105-bespoke-built-carbon-bicycle-frame-and-fork-p-1719.html

Wow. Didn't know this builder existed.:hello:

rockdude
05-25-2013, 08:23 AM
I haven't ridden all the listed bikes but My Parlee Z1 is the best riding bike I have ever been on. By-the-way, I am putting her on the selling block.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f236/roc-dude/P6141019.jpg (http://s48.photobucket.com/user/roc-dude/media/P6141019.jpg.html)

As show it weights a dash over 14 pounds for a size 56.5cm. What sets the Z1 apart for all the others bikes I have had is the ride smoothness. Its like riding a flying carpet over fields of liquid velvet.

akmonkey
05-25-2013, 08:55 AM
Crumpton for light and stiff. Serotta if you added comfort to the list. That said, I own both and have never ridden any of the others, so ......

Lovetoclimb
05-25-2013, 09:26 AM
I've thought that David Lee's Crumpton was very impressive. Link here (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=53917)

(16 lbs as shown)

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h118/nortonmanx/IMG_2590.jpg

I was the second owner of that frameset. I can confirm it was a beast, 15 lbs outfitted with Campy Boras, 11s mix of Super Record, Chorus, NEgative G brakes, nothing "absurd" for weight savings. Nick told me a lot about that bike at NAHBS and the engineering he put into it as a prototype model. Unless my memory is foggy he uses ENVE tubing from Utah making it even more American (if that is of particular important to you).

Nags&Ducs
05-25-2013, 10:09 AM
I haven't ridden all the listed bikes but My Parlee Z1 is the best riding bike I have ever been on. By-the-way, I am putting her on the selling block.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f236/roc-dude/P6141019.jpg (http://s48.photobucket.com/user/roc-dude/media/P6141019.jpg.html)

As show it weights a dash over 14 pounds for a size 56.5cm. What sets the Z1 apart for all the others bikes I have had is the ride smoothness. Its like riding a flying carpet over fields of liquid velvet.

What are you getting next? A Crumpton??? :)

But seriously, why sell the best riding bike you've ever been on? Too bad it's a touch too long for me. I dig the looks.

rockdude
05-25-2013, 10:28 AM
What are you getting next? A Crumpton??? :)

But seriously, why sell the best riding bike you've ever been on? Too bad it's a touch too long for me. I dig the looks.

Two reasons:
A) Its so beautiful and nice I always want to save it for only special rides, so it doesn't ever get ridden.
B) Since I bought the bike I have got into racing doing over 50 races a year so I spend all my time racing or training. I race and train on bikes I don't mind if they get trashed. No way would I ever risk trashing the Z1.

I always have 10-15 bikes hanging around but most now are just tools for racing. Until I quit racing, I really don't see myself buying any ultra highend rigs. But ya never know, I like the bling as much as the next guy.

biker72
05-25-2013, 10:37 AM
All 3 of my current bikes are metal.
If I ever decided to go carbon I'd give Crumpton a try.

soulspinner
05-25-2013, 11:02 AM
Having a bike from him (its amazing) Id give Carl Strong a shot. He learned from Mr Crumpton.

TPetsch
05-26-2013, 01:09 PM
Um, I really need to give this some long & serious thou... Serotta!

FlashUNC
05-26-2013, 01:13 PM
Not custom, but Time makes outstanding stuff.

beeatnik
05-26-2013, 02:11 PM
Having owned a sub-700g CF frame that failed after one ride, I would never trust my life to a CF bike which wasn't developed, tested and made by an established company. To me CF frames are rocket science unlike steel or even Ti. So even though someone like Crumpton may have the skill, artistry and even research to build a solid frame, for the insane money of custom, I need the piece of mind and backing that only an organization can really provide, whether it's 4 guys backed by venture capital or a mid-sized brand with a history in the sport. When it comes to critical stuff like this the more brains the better.

1. Parlee
2. Serotta
3. Alchemy

macaroon
05-26-2013, 04:26 PM
What about a wyndymilla? http://www.wyndymilla.com/

firerescuefin
05-26-2013, 05:16 PM
Having owned a sub-700g CF frame that failed after one ride, I would never trust my life to a CF bike which wasn't developed, tested and made by an established company. To me CF frames are rocket science unlike steel or even Ti. So even though someone like Crumpton may have the skill, artistry and even research to build a solid frame, for the insane money of custom, I need the piece of mind and backing that only an organization can really provide, whether it's 4 guys backed by venture capital or a mid-sized brand with a history in the sport. When it comes to critical stuff like this the more brains the better.

1. Parlee
2. Serotta
3. Alchemy

Your post surprised me...big difference between an under engineered one-off 700 gram frame..and a bike put together like one of the artisan/craftsman in this thread. Can't ever remember a Crumpton/Strong/Calfee/Cyfac/land shark/ etc. owner say it failed as they were JRA.....and it isn't rocket science. I own a Parlee, but I don't worry more or less than if I was riding one of the above, and Big box manufacturers have had plenty of their own issues.

akelman
05-26-2013, 05:53 PM
That white Crumpton above is the hotness, though it's tumescent stem is sort of grossing me out.

beeatnik
05-26-2013, 05:54 PM
Your post surprised me...big difference between an under engineered one-off 700 gram frame..and a bike put together like one of the artisan/craftsman in this thread. Can't ever remember a Crumpton/Strong/Calfee/Cyfac/land shark/ etc. owner say it failed as they were JRA.....and it isn't rocket science. I own a Parlee, but I don't worry more or less than if I was riding one of the above, and Big box manufacturers have had plenty of their own issues.

True. I was under the impression the OP was interested in super light cf frames. As for failure rates, I think the sample sizes are too small to come to any supportable conclusion. Wouldn't surprise me if Calfee, Parlee and Serotta made more Tetras/Zs/Meivici's in a boom year than the total historic production of the one man, custom CF builders combined.

akelman
05-26-2013, 05:56 PM
Somebody should send me a Parlee, Crumpton, and Meivici, so I can do a comprehensive write-up of their relative merits. Actually, it would probably only be fair if I included a Time and a Look as well.

William
05-26-2013, 06:19 PM
Somebody should send me a Parlee, Crumpton, and Meivici, so I can do a comprehensive write-up of their relative merits. Actually, it would probably only be fair if I included a Time and a Look as well.

You better round it out with Alchemy and Argonaut just to be fair.;)

William

slidey
05-26-2013, 06:27 PM
My word...that stem! :eek:

That white Crumpton above is the hotness, though it's tumescent stem is sort of grossing me out.

akelman
05-26-2013, 06:30 PM
You better round it out with Alchemy and Argonaut just to be fair.

Hmm, I guess you're right. I wouldn't want to be accused of bias. Okay, send 'em along, boys!

akelman
05-26-2013, 06:31 PM
My word...that stem! :eek:

Yeah, it's...what? Happy to see us?

happycampyer
05-26-2013, 06:55 PM
That white Crumpton above is the hotness, though it's tumescent stem is sort of grossing me out.I think it's Timescent.

To beeatnik, while I agree with the general thesis that independent testing is critical, Nick mentioned in his Smoked Out across the hall that he uses two labs for CEN testing. I have a Crumpton that I bought used, and it is as solid and quiet as any carbon bike I have owned or ridden, despite being one of the lightest frames I've owned.

Don't have time now, but perhaps later I will explain my preferences, having owned three MeiVicis (two used and one custom), two Parlees (both used) and the Crumpton. All three make a world-class product.

Nags&Ducs
07-27-2013, 03:07 AM
I think it's Timescent.

To beeatnik, while I agree with the general thesis that independent testing is critical, Nick mentioned in his Smoked Out across the hall that he uses two labs for CEN testing. I have a Crumpton that I bought used, and it is as solid and quiet as any carbon bike I have owned or ridden, despite being one of the lightest frames I've owned.

Don't have time now, but perhaps later I will explain my preferences, having owned three MeiVicis (two used and one custom), two Parlees (both used) and the Crumpton. All three make a world-class product.

Hey Hap, how about an esplnation of your prefs? Been dying to read about it and been patiently waiting! All of the your frames are on my list for my next carbon offset purchase!! :D

witcombusa
07-27-2013, 07:03 AM
BOTB Carbon?

Isn't that an oxymoron?

oldpotatoe
07-27-2013, 07:16 AM

1) Sarto
2) Parlee
3) Crumpton
4) Fondriest
5) Serotta
6) Storck
7) Guru

Funny--might as well include price too...as in 'more expensive=better'.

Nags&Ducs
07-27-2013, 09:09 AM
Funny--might as well include price too...as in 'more expensive=better'.

Kind of goes with the territory doesn't it? If there was a lightweight custom carbon frame maker that priced their frames at $2k, I'd be all over that!! In actuality, the Fondy TF0 is not uber expensive at $4700 retail. And the Sarto is actually pretty cheap here in Europe. IIRC, it's less than €2500 for the frame only without paint. So, if you want a matte finish Cima Coppi with a Enve 2.0, it comes in under $3500 after VAT free and conversion.

And IMHO, more expensive doesn't equal better. For some folks, more expensive may equal more desirable, but not for me. The Parlee and Serotta are crazy expensive. Personally, the Serotta is not at the top of my Lust-list. Parlee, Crumpton, Sarto, Fondy- they tend to switch positions on my list depending on my mood. :)

wgp
07-27-2013, 12:38 PM
My vote Parlee, but as everyone acknowledges they are ALL superb frames at that level. This is my "lowly" Z3 bought as a demo (my original typo said "demon!") bike about 5 years ago. I couldn't even touch the current cost of a top o'line Parlee nowadays - but then I don't have to!

Wilkinson4
07-27-2013, 12:53 PM
If we are talking custom, don't forget an Kirk Lee and Applebaum

http://www.kirkleebicycles.com
http://applemanbicycles.com

I would say 1-5

Crumpton
Parlee
Crumpton
KirkLee
Alchemy

But, I really dig the applebaum gravel grinder:)

mIKE

Nags&Ducs
07-27-2013, 01:21 PM
If we are talking custom, don't forget an Kirk Lee and Applebaum

http://www.kirkleebicycles.com
http://applemanbicycles.com

I would say 1-5

Crumpton
Parlee
Crumpton
KirkLee
Alchemy

But, I really dig the applebaum gravel grinder:)

mIKE

Did Appleman merge with Baum? :)

Lots custom carbon builders these days. Landshark does only carbon now. Strong is coming on strong in carbon (PI). Argonaut too. Javelin (uses Sarto to build their frames), and lots more that I'm forgetting. And that's just US guys. A lot of Italians building custom, made in Italy carbon too such as Pelizzoli, Tommasini, Viner, Cipollini, ...

Wilkinson4
07-27-2013, 01:44 PM
Did Appleman merge with Baum? :)

Lots custom carbon builders these days. Landshark does only carbon now. Strong is coming on strong in carbon (PI). Argonaut too. Javelin (uses Sarto to build their frames), and lots more that I'm forgetting. And that's just US guys. A lot of Italians building custom, made in Italy carbon too such as Pelizzoli, Tommasini, Viner, Cipollini, ...

That's funny, I did it twice!!! Applebaum would be aussome!

mIKE

gemship
07-27-2013, 01:56 PM
The problem with this question is that asking what is the best amongst custom carbon is so so very subjective.

Eliminate enough variables and the question can be answered much better but really at this point is there a wrong answer?

Nags&Ducs
07-27-2013, 03:19 PM
The problem with this question is that asking what is the best amongst custom carbon is so so very subjective.

Eliminate enough variables and the question can be answered much better but really at this point is there a wrong answer?

Absolutely no wrong answer!!! All are great...and very subjective of course. :)

Nags&Ducs
07-27-2013, 03:23 PM
My vote Parlee, but as everyone acknowledges they are ALL superb frames at that level. This is my "lowly" Z3 bought as a demo (my original typo said "demon!") bike about 5 years ago. I couldn't even touch the current cost of a top o'line Parlee nowadays - but then I don't have to!

I'd hit that all day long!!!! ;)

Thats a beauty of a Z3! I was very tempted by a couple I saw on CL. Was also tempted by the Z2 Old Potato had in his shop a few years back before he swore off plastic bikes. But it was 1 cm longer than my preference.

SBash
07-27-2013, 03:50 PM
LOOK
Time
Parlee
Serotta
Calfee
NOTE: Have not tried a Crumpton

wgp
07-27-2013, 08:42 PM
I'd hit that all day long!!!! ;)

Thats a beauty of a Z3! I was very tempted by a couple I saw on CL. Was also tempted by the Z2 Old Potato had in his shop a few years back before he swore off plastic bikes. But it was 1 cm longer than my preference.

Thanks Nags & Ducs! I'm mighty partial to it, though love my Moots Vamoots too. Was just in Boulder on vacation and stopped in Vecchios to see Peter and we shared our mutual Moots bliss!

weisan
07-28-2013, 06:48 AM
I knew Nick back in the days before he became famous, but to my shame I have not had the chance to try out his bikes although he did offer it to me.

So with that said, I wonder how many of my pals who voted for Crumpton have actually ridden one?

Or is it just a perception based mainly on the opinions of others who have?

When enough people said it, it must be true...or is it?

Again, Nick and I are pals, if that helps. And my query would apply to any other brands mentioned here as well.

oldpotatoe
07-28-2013, 07:19 AM
Kind of goes with the territory doesn't it? If there was a lightweight custom carbon frame maker that priced their frames at $2k, I'd be all over that!! In actuality, the Fondy TF0 is not uber expensive at $4700 retail. And the Sarto is actually pretty cheap here in Europe. IIRC, it's less than €2500 for the frame only without paint. So, if you want a matte finish Cima Coppi with a Enve 2.0, it comes in under $3500 after VAT free and conversion.

And IMHO, more expensive doesn't equal better. For some folks, more expensive may equal more desirable, but not for me. The Parlee and Serotta are crazy expensive. Personally, the Serotta is not at the top of my Lust-list. Parlee, Crumpton, Sarto, Fondy- they tend to switch positions on my list depending on my mood. :)

Guess my point is that smoothness/stiffness is subjective and unfortunately at LBS.com, the only thing one can 'measure' and what the sales people point at is 'weight, and price'.

$4700..I guess altho using many custom steel and some ti frames, the complete bike would be in that range, ride wonderfully and weigh maybe a pound more is all.

I have sold a lot of carbon frames, and have owned a Calfee...I donno, they don't do it for me.

Nags&Ducs
07-28-2013, 02:56 PM
Guess my point is that smoothness/stiffness is subjective and unfortunately at LBS.com, the only thing one can 'measure' and what the sales people point at is 'weight, and price'.

$4700..I guess altho using many custom steel and some ti frames, the complete bike would be in that range, ride wonderfully and weigh maybe a pound more is all.

I have sold a lot of carbon frames, and have owned a Calfee...I donno, they don't do it for me.

You're just an old curmudgeon. ;).

$4700- isn't that close to the price of a Moots RSL? Baum, Crisp, Passoni, Firefly, DeRosa Titanio, Tommaini Titanio, Gios Titan, ... are all around that price too iirc. I guess if you want the BOTB, regardless of material, you got pay in that upper stratosphere.

Have you ridden a Crumton or Parlee? I haven't, but I know I want one. But I love the ride of my carbon frames, so I'm sure I'd like those too.

Lionel
07-29-2013, 02:16 AM
I was in your shoes a couple of years ago. I talked or interacted with most of the builders on your list. Ended up with a Crumpton SL as I liked the one man shop operation and the interaction with Nick. The bike is fantastic. After 4000 miles on it, it is not going anywhere. It became my go to bike with the Sachs. Had me sell the C50, etc... 6.7kg as pictured for a 62cm frame.

http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u459/Lionel_B/Crumpton/photo_zpsfa83c73e.jpg

soulspinner
07-29-2013, 05:13 AM
Lionel just ended the thread for me. Great bike, new wallpaper, ultimate compliment.

oldpotatoe
07-29-2013, 08:22 AM
You're just an old curmudgeon. ;).

$4700- isn't that close to the price of a Moots RSL? Baum, Crisp, Passoni, Firefly, DeRosa Titanio, Tommaini Titanio, Gios Titan, ... are all around that price too iirc. I guess if you want the BOTB, regardless of material, you got pay in that upper stratosphere.

Have you ridden a Crumton or Parlee? I haven't, but I know I want one. But I love the ride of my carbon frames, so I'm sure I'd like those too.

$4500 frame and fork for the RSL. Sold Parlee for a while until his prices went up like 45%. Rode more than a few..stiff, IMHO, not a day long ride, IMHO.

Saying that $4700 isn't 'uber expensive' caught my eye tho.

Pretty(VERY) happy with my MXLeader, that cost about $500(small ding on the top tube)..and my Ciocc, still have it, that cost $850 new in 1985. Great ride still.

Lots of pretty whizbang carbon frames now, LOTS..none blow my skirt up tho-yep, curmudgeon, retro-grouch, luddite, take your pick.

I'm lucky that I work on and hence test ride many carbon frames..and none so far makes me want to go buy one. Some are pretty nice and some easy to lift up to the hook on the scale..and some ride like ass-hatchets.

Nags&Ducs
07-29-2013, 03:01 PM
$4500 frame and fork for the RSL. Sold Parlee for a while until his prices went up like 45%. Rode more than a few..stiff, IMHO, not a day long ride, IMHO.

Saying that $4700 isn't 'uber expensive' caught my eye tho.

Pretty(VERY) happy with my MXLeader, that cost about $500(small ding on the top tube)..and my Ciocc, still have it, that cost $850 new in 1985. Great ride still.

Lots of pretty whizbang carbon frames now, LOTS..none blow my skirt up tho-yep, curmudgeon, retro-grouch, luddite, take your pick.

I'm lucky that I work on and hence test ride many carbon frames..and none so far makes me want to go buy one. Some are pretty nice and some easy to lift up to the hook on the scale..and some ride like ass-hatchets.

Don't get me wrong Peter, I think $4700 is pretty dang expensive- but somewhat reasonable when we are talking about stratosphere level frames. I've never paid that much for any of my frames. Parlee at $7K for the kit, and $10K for the Meivici, and $11K for the Javelin Cortina hexacarbon honeycomb doo-dad. Those are well above my means and threshold of what I would be willing to pay to play. So, as much as I like Parlees, I probably won't get one. Now Crumptons at a tad over $5K is more palatable. Still A LOT of money for a frameset, but for my big 5-0, I would be willing to spend that.

I also hear ya on steel. I absolutely love my Mondonico and Tommasini. If I had to give up my bikes, one by one, my Mondonico is the last bike standing. Before I get my 5-0 bike, I will get at least one more bike, and that will be a De Rosa Neo Primato. Always wanted one. Must make it so.

Nags&Ducs
07-29-2013, 03:11 PM
I was in your shoes a couple of years ago. I talked or interacted with most of the builders on your list. Ended up with a Crumpton SL as I liked the one man shop operation and the interaction with Nick. The bike is fantastic. After 4000 miles on it, it is not going anywhere. It became my go to bike with the Sachs. Had me sell the C50, etc... 6.7kg as pictured for a 62cm frame.

Lionel, yours is the best looking example of a Crumpy that Ive ever seen. Period.

I'm assuming you are a one-bike-at-a-time kind of guy. Otherwise, I figure you would have kept the C50. The C50 is the grail bike for a lot of guys. I would guess that both are more alike than different in many respects, so maybe that's why you sold it??

Lionel
07-29-2013, 03:14 PM
I'm assuming you are a one-bike-at-a-time kind of guy. Otherwise, I figure you would have kept the C50. The C50 is the grail bike for a lot of guys. I would guess that both are more alike than different in many respects, so maybe that's why you sold it??

:) I wish. Right now I have 5 main road bikes and one on order.... I sold the C50 because the Crumpton made it obsolete. It's head and shoulder better for me.

rnhood
07-29-2013, 03:15 PM
I agree, that's a very good looking Crumpton. All it needs now is a set of Lightweights :).

Lionel
07-29-2013, 03:21 PM
I agree, that's a very good looking Crumpton. All it needs now is a set of Lightweights :).

Lightweight are not in the cards but here are a couple of pics with the Boras:)

http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u459/Lionel_B/Crumpton/DSC_0144.jpg
http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u459/Lionel_B/Crumpton/Built1full.jpg

jr59
07-29-2013, 03:35 PM
Lightweight are not in the cards but here are a couple of pics with the Boras:)

http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u459/Lionel_B/Crumpton/DSC_0144.jpg
http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u459/Lionel_B/Crumpton/Built1full.jpg

Oh My!!!!:eek::eek:

That's one good looking ride!

fuzzalow
07-29-2013, 04:03 PM
I dunno, in the reality of how my journey with bikes has progressed, I have so lost the bug for carbon fiber bikes.

The only carbon bike I'd like to own is a custom DeRosa Protos. Due almost completely to a hopeless infatuation for Italian bikes and for DeRosas in particular as my archtype of the genre. Because I am not in the market for a Protos, I haven't kept up but I recently looked up the bike on a web retailer for DeRosa. It gave me a moment of pause.

There is no "best". Merely the momentary bliss between acquiring one iteration of "best" while the inescapeable rationalization and reordering of attributes to re-envisage "best" as yet still one bike away.

Waldo
07-29-2013, 05:11 PM
Calfee Dragonfly?

+many^^^^