PDA

View Full Version : OT: thoughts on NCAA football Bowl games

sevencyclist
12-05-2005, 02:22 PM
I was surprised to see Penn State (1 loss) paired up with Florida State (4 losses) for Orange Bowl. A 4 losses team should not play a 1 loss team. I would have thought Penn State pairing up with Notre Dame at Fiesta Bowl would have been a worthy match.

Georgia (2 losses) with Florida State at the Orange Bowl would have been my choice. Leaving Sugar for Ohio State (2 losses) with West Virginia (1 loss).

Well, at least we can claim for the first time that Rose Bowl winner will be indeed the true champion for this year.

Sandy
12-05-2005, 02:36 PM
I believe Reggie Bush is a remarkably gifted runner that is rarely seen. I think that he will have a major impact in the NFL, if he stays healthy. He is extraordinarily gifted, in my opinion.

Scout Sandy

Ken Robb
12-05-2005, 02:46 PM
I can't get used to the Rose Bowl not being on New Year's Day--I get up early because of the dogs, groan, watch the parade, eat, doze through the game. The other games aren't the same. OK, it's the Song Girls that make te difference.

Climb01742
12-05-2005, 02:47 PM
USC could beat at least 3 NFL teams. for us old geezers, it's nice that reggie bush has gotten networks to replay footage of gale sayers--the most amazing running back i've ever seen play. when sayers had two good knees he was from another planet.

kgrooney
12-05-2005, 02:48 PM
Institute a playoff system. Who cares who's number 2 and below.

To believe that the concern of the NCAA is lost class time by the athletes is a farse. 99% of these guys never see the inside of a classroom as long as they are at these Universities.

Been there, done that.

Tom
12-05-2005, 02:58 PM
I can't remember the name of the kid or the school this year, I think it starts with "M" but I can't be sure. Memphis? Not Marshall. Anyway, there's this other kid I'd draft before Reggie Bush because this kid is running like him only he hasn't got an offensive line and he's doing it on his own. Bush is really good but we'll know how good when he lines up behind the Seven Blocks Of Marshmallow.

Penn State and Fla State are playing each other because they want to set a record for aggregate age of the head coaches.

Sandy
12-05-2005, 04:49 PM
USC could beat at least 3 NFL teams. for us old geezers, it's nice that reggie bush has gotten networks to replay footage of gale sayers--the most amazing running back i've ever seen play. when sayers had two good knees he was from another planet.

I have to agree with you. Gale Sayers was an incredible running back. You sometimes couldn't tackle him because you couldn't even get close enough to touch him. He was the most electrifying back that I ever saw.

Sizzling Sandy

KevinK
12-05-2005, 04:57 PM
Sheesh!! Seven posts and no one even mentioned the University of Oregon Ducks, who are 10-1 with USC being their only loss. The Pac 10 gets shafted once again in the BCS. Fergitabout the argument that there is no slot for an at large team this year. Oregon should have been ranked 4th ahead of Ohio State and received the automatic BCS bid. Instead they play a 7-4 Oklahoma team. Believe it or not, there is some good football being played west of the continental divide!

Kevin Ko
Eugene, OR

Ken Robb
12-05-2005, 05:29 PM
yeah but the west coast games are played after half of te voters have gone to bed. I think it isn't fair to say NONE of the footballers ever go to class. I KNOW they do at Northwestern. The athletic department provides tutors but that's it. Chargers got a good lineman from NU this year and he was on the Dean's List.

I know some famous football "schools" have appallingly low graduaation rates for athletes.

Dr. Doofus
12-05-2005, 05:57 PM
I know some famous football "schools" have appallingly low graduaation rates for athletes.

how about the entire SEC*?

an entire region of the country where the "tech prep" HS classes (that most FB athletes are in) are 3-4 grades below level, and the universities routinely have FB team GPAs that hover between 1.9 and 2.0....

* that egghead school in Nashville doesn't count

bcm119
12-05-2005, 06:04 PM
Go Penn State!

I would have liked to see the Fiesta bowl be Oregon and Penn State. The only thing more fun than walking into a Ducks bar with blue and white on would be leaving after the Ducks got crushed by JoePa. :) Kidding aside, I also think they deserve to go to a bcs bowl.

Chief
12-05-2005, 06:46 PM
Only in the BCS can a four-loss team, who was beaten by teams who didn't make the BCS, supplant a one-loss team who was only beaten by an undefeated team. :crap: Clearly the BCS has not got it right yet. GO HORNS!!!

gasman
12-05-2005, 07:19 PM
Yea- Oregon ranked No. 5 in the country with a 10-1 record, the only loss being to USC is shut out of the BCS and plays Oklahoma a 7-4 team. Gimme a friggin break. It's all about money.
We should institute a playoff of the top 4 teams in the country.

Bauch
12-05-2005, 07:51 PM
is to match #1 with #2 in a championship game. Conference relationships with certain bowl games (such as the Pac-10 and Big-10 with the RB during the other 3 years when the RB does not host the BCS title game) supersede the BCS rankings after the top-2.

That is how Oregon could get hosed out of the BCS. I agree that a matchup of Oregon and Penn State would have been something. In fact, the last time Joe Pa played in the RB, his Nittany Lions beat Rich Brooks' Oregon Ducks.

As long as #1 plays #2 and we don't have a 3rd unbeaten on the outside looking in, there will be no playoff system, however beneficial it would be.

Them's just my $0.02.

sevencyclist
12-05-2005, 08:20 PM
I agree that Oregon deserves to be in the bowl more than Notre Dame or Ohio State.

The reason that I did not metion Oregon in my original post was because 6 of the spots are taken by the winner of various conference, and the least deserving of them was Florida State. That was why I was shocked that Penn State, being the best outside of Texas and USC, was lined up with Fla St.

Apparently Notre Dame, being independent, has some automatic bid with being ranked #6 in the BCS and Ohio has automatic in with ranking #4. How was that determined was not clear to me.

I think they should just take the highest ranked 8 teams and have 3 weeks of play offs to determine champions.

As for athlete and classroom, I root for Penn State so much because Joe Paterno always made sure the players are students first and then athlete. Many programs around the country do not do that. Other notable coaches such as Tyrone Willingham and Bill Walsh always made sure the players are students.

JohnS
12-05-2005, 08:35 PM
The Lions and who else?? :)

pale scotsman
12-05-2005, 09:36 PM
The Lions and who else?? :)

The Saints...

vaxn8r
12-05-2005, 11:08 PM
I can't remember the name of the kid or the school this year, I think it starts with "M" but I can't be sure. Memphis? Not Marshall. Anyway, there's this other kid I'd draft before Reggie Bush because this kid is running like him only he hasn't got an offensive line and he's doing it on his own. Bush is really good but we'll know how good when he lines up behind the Seven Blocks Of Marshmallow.

Penn State and Fla State are playing each other because they want to set a record for aggregate age of the head coaches.
Tom, I've seen a lot of college football and I've lived east to west. But I've never seen anything the likes of Reggie Bush. You need to see him in person to believe it. He is a scoring threat each and every time he touched the ball. In this case believe the hype.

sevencyclist
12-05-2005, 11:41 PM
The Saints...

According the record from this season, neither of Lions nor Saints would have the honor.

The three teams would be Packers, Jets, and 49ers. Oh yeh, the Texans, would play back up to Texas (college). :rolleyes:

Sandy
12-06-2005, 04:52 AM
Tom, I've seen a lot of college football and I've lived east to west. But I've never seen anything the likes of Reggie Bush. You need to see him in person to believe it. He is a scoring threat each and every time he touched the ball. In this case believe the hype..

Agreed! I never saw him in person, but seeing him on tv is enough. He absolutely is a scoring threat each and every time he gets the ball.

Scoring Sandy

kgrooney
12-06-2005, 07:24 AM
Maybe not fair to say NONE, but I went to school in the big 12 and perhaps a handfull of football players were in class and I was one of them. I would believe all big time programs are the same way. These guys bring big bucks into those Universities.

JohnS
12-06-2005, 07:30 AM
According the record from this season, neither of Lions nor Saints would have the honor.

The three teams would be Packers, Jets, and 49ers. Oh yeh, the Texans, would play back up to Texas (college). :rolleyes:
The Lions are falling fast. Besides, those other teams have won championships in the last 10 years. The Lions have never won anything. Thank goodness that Willie Clay Ford runs the football team and not Grandpa's car company or there'd be a lot more unemployed people around here. He's the family idiot, like Fredo(sp) in The Godfather.

bob the nailer
12-06-2005, 09:03 PM
1. usc or any other college team could be exactly 0 pro teams
2. oregon got jobbed, neither notre dame nor free shoes u belongs in a bcs bowl, but that is the screwed up structure we are stuck with- look at where some people voted teams, just to try to bring them down, rather than where they actually thought they should be ranked.
3. having said that- oregon ain't gonna beat the sooners. book it. that "7-4" oklahoma team you malign includes losses to texas, texas tech(actually a win they stole from us) tcu and ucla, between them a total of 5 losses: all of ou's losses except tcu without a healthy adrian peterson-guess what- he's baaaaaack!!! :banana:

gasman
12-06-2005, 09:38 PM
1. usc or any other college team could be exactly 0 pro teams

I agree- it's a huge step up to the NFL .

2. oregon got jobbed, neither notre dame nor free shoes u belongs in a bcs bowl, but that is the screwed up structure we are stuck with- look at where some people voted teams, just to try to bring them down, rather than where they actually thought they should be ranked.

Of course I agree.

3. having said that- oregon ain't gonna beat the sooners. book it. that "7-4" oklahoma team you malign includes losses to texas, texas tech(actually a win they stole from us) tcu and ucla, between them a total of 5 losses: all of ou's losses except tcu without a healthy adrian peterson-guess what- he's baaaaaack!!! :banana:

I think Oregon is going to have a hard time containing Peterson and beating Oklahoma. I do think they are a good team in spite of their record. I gotta believe in Oregon since I live in Eugene. Go Ducks !!!

vaxn8r
12-06-2005, 11:35 PM
I agree with your line of thinking bob, and a month ago I would have agreed, but I think Dennis Dixon (Clemen's replacement) is the real deal and will likely be better than Clemens ever thought of being. I think the Ducks win this one. Too much offensive firepower for a young Sooner team and the Oregon D is better than many think. They faced a ton of diverse and high powered offenses every week. Plus, if The Ducks pull it off it'll make the rubber match in Eugene next year a BIG deal.

I'll be in San Diego for this one. IMO Sooner fans are some of the best fans in college football. Oregon fans are famous for their rabid support. Should be a fun game.

vaxn8r
12-06-2005, 11:37 PM

Agreed! I never saw him in person, but seeing him on tv is enough. He absolutely is a scoring threat each and every time he gets the ball.

Scoring Sandy
Reggie Bush. Here's some stats I recall.

Average yds gained per TD: 31!
Average yards per touch 8.5!

Wow!

bulliedawg
12-07-2005, 07:19 AM

DeAngelo Williams at Memphis is who you're talking about. He's a great back, but we haven't seen the likes of Reggie Bush since the Barry Sanders days.

As for Florida State playing Penn State, those bowl match ups are already set. The ACC champ goes to the Orange Bowl this season. That's the way the rules are written. The Noles had the ACC Atlantic Division wrapped up with three weeks left in the season. It was up to Va Tech to beat them in the championship and the Hokies couldn't get it done. Doesn't make it fair, but football, like life, ain't fair.