PDA

View Full Version : 9speed vs. 10 speed chain life

Ken Robb
05-24-2013, 09:39 AM
The post about converting a 9 speed mtn. bike to 10 speed reminded me of the debate about whether 10 speed chains were as durable as 9 speed chains. How do the entire drive trains compare for overall durability?

rice rocket
05-24-2013, 10:26 AM
http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/02/19/bikerumor-shimano-chainwear-challenge-the-results/

Dave
05-24-2013, 03:35 PM
The digital chain wear gage is just as stupid as most. It combines roller wear and true elongation into a worthless mixture.

My experience with Campy 11 indicates that the thinner the chain, the faster it will wear.

I've seen more scientific tests that suggest Shimano has improved their pin/inner plate bushing longevity, like Campy chains have been for a very long time, but there's still roller wear to consider. A chain with very little elongation (properly measured with a precision rule) can still cause cassette wear that results in new-chain skip, if the roller wear is too great, before the chain is replaced. You can have a chain with .15% elongation that causes new chain skip, when a second new chain is installed.

oldpotatoe
05-25-2013, 07:28 AM
The post about converting a 9 speed mtn. bike to 10 speed reminded me of the debate about whether 10 speed chains were as durable as 9 speed chains. How do the entire drive trains compare for overall durability?

Pretty much the same durability, when taken care of...BUT 10s components, like chains and cogsets and chainrings, are more expensive.

Pete Mckeon
05-25-2013, 11:18 AM
DAVE AND OLD POTATO ARE ZINs on bike related knowledge and experience.

I owe them some red wine and a big thanks. PETE

The digital chain wear gage is just as stupid as most. It combines roller wear and true elongation into a worthless mixture.

My experience with Campy 11 indicates that the thinner the chain, the faster it will wear.

I've seen more scientific tests that suggest Shimano has improved their pin/inner plate bushing longevity, like Campy chains have been for a very long time, but there's still roller wear to consider. A chain with very little elongation (properly measured with a precision rule) can still cause cassette wear that results in new-chain skip, if the roller wear is too great, before the chain is replaced. You can have a chain with .15% elongation that causes new chain skip, when a second new chain is installed.