PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article about the Sochi Winter Olympics

MattTuck
05-24-2013, 08:35 AM
http://qz.com/87482/next-years-winter-olympics-are-being-held-in-just-about-the-most-unsafe-place-they-could-be/

Seems like a dubious decision by the IOC to select Sochi. I sense heavy back room involvement by Russian monied interests during the bidding process.

BumbleBeeDave
05-24-2013, 08:44 AM
Olympic selections and the committee members have a long history of favoritism, bribery, kickbacks, and just general corruption and miscellaneous skullduggery.

I have also seen stories about corruption, huge cost overruns, shoddy construction, etc., at the Olympic facilities being built.

I think it's a pretty sure bet that even if there are no major attacks, the security issues and measures in general will overshadow the sporting aspects. Will they run the Super G with armed soldiers every 10 feet along the whole course? How about 4 man bobsleds with tail gunners?

BBD

christian
05-24-2013, 08:47 AM
You're proposing the IOC isn't about the sanctity of amateur sport? Shocking.

sg8357
05-24-2013, 08:52 AM
Just added to Sochi Olympics, SWAT team competition.

The Nepalese Gurkha Team is the early favorite for gold.

BumbleBeeDave

Oh, and BTW, "professional" wrestling isn't real either. It's all staged. :eek:

BBD

MattTuck

I'm proposing that if the IOC is going to take bribes, that they atleast balance the security of the games against the kickbacks.

christian
05-24-2013, 08:58 AM
I am certain that Jacques Rogge will have all the FSB protection he could possibly require.

zennmotion
05-24-2013, 11:10 AM
The article is not without some elements of truth and legitimate concern, but as someone who's spent time in the region it reads as hyperbolic and alarmist. Dragging the Tsarnaev brothers and centuries old conflicts into the article as "evidence" is gratuitous. A big target? Maybe. But for better or worse, the bad guys also know what it means to F with Russian security.

sg8357
05-24-2013, 01:37 PM
Oh, and BTW, "professional" wrestling isn't real either. It's all staged. :eek:

BBD

Pro wrasslin' is on a much higher moral plane than the IOC or the UCI.

InspectorGadget
05-24-2013, 02:07 PM
I have several friends trying to make the Olympic team next year and that article does not give me warm and fuzzy feelings. :eek:

djg
05-24-2013, 05:28 PM
I have several friends trying to make the Olympic team next year and that article does not give me warm and fuzzy feelings. :eek:

This isn't the same kind of worrisome, but still . . .

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/26/sports/olympics/with-weather-concerns-organizers-are-storing-snow-for-winter-olympics-in-sochi-russia.html?pagewanted=all

How are your pals on roller skis?

Louis
05-24-2013, 05:56 PM
Seems like a dubious decision by the IOC to select Sochi. I sense heavy back room involvement by Russian monied interests during the bidding process.

Not nearly as dubious as awarding the 2022 Football World Cup to Qatar. :eek: