PDA

View Full Version : OT - Best Garmin for Car?

bostondrunk
05-24-2013, 07:52 AM
Looking to buy one, and the choices seem overwhelming.
I am going with Garmin brand, but there seem to be so many Nuvi models.
Not too concerned with locating attractions, but want to be able to navigate from point A to point B throughout North America as easily as possible.
Help!

Ralph
05-24-2013, 08:02 AM
I would go up the line high enough to get at least a 5" screen, free map upgrades, voice street name turn by turn and lane guidance, and then use an optional bean bag mount on dash (can put Garmin in floor out of sight quickly when I stop)....if your dash has a flat spot to use it. They work great!

We currently have two cars in family with Factory NAV's, but I would just as soon have the above.

rice rocket
05-24-2013, 08:24 AM
Just drive that money you'd use to buy a Garmin into a smartphone.

Live traffic, maps always up to date, it's pretty nice.

gone
05-24-2013, 09:23 AM
Just drive that money you'd use to buy a Garmin into a smartphone.

Live traffic, maps always up to date, it's pretty nice.

Fully agree with one very notable exception. The Garmins have navigation options that smartphones don't have (yet). When searching for something (hotel, restaurant, hospital, etc) you have the option for where to search. When traveling, I find "near my current route" to be incredibly useful. If e.g., I'm ready to stop for the night in a couple of hours I do a find->near my current route->lodging->hotels and see what pops up that's 90-120 miles away. Ditto for restaurants.

I love this. If smartphones had this capability (and I'd love to learn that they do) I'd dump my Garmin (Nuvi with lifetime maps) in a heartbeat.

roguedog
05-24-2013, 09:30 AM
:) http://betalabs.nokia.com/trials/nokia-city-lens-for-windows-phone

I remember another similar app on my LG phone (android) a few years back. Can't remember the app name though. Was great when I was traveling in Munich.

rice rocket
05-24-2013, 09:41 AM
Fully agree with one very notable exception. The Garmins have navigation options that smartphones don't have (yet). When searching for something (hotel, restaurant, hospital, etc) you have the option for where to search. When traveling, I find "near my current route" to be incredibly useful. If e.g., I'm ready to stop for the night in a couple of hours I do a find->near my current route->lodging->hotels and see what pops up that's 90-120 miles away. Ditto for restaurants.

I love this. If smartphones had this capability (and I'd love to learn that they do) I'd dump my Garmin (Nuvi with lifetime maps) in a heartbeat.

Hmm, have you tried Garmin's software? I don't know if it specifically has that functionality, but it would make sense that it did. They're pretty lowly rated in their respective app stores though, not sure why.

Ken Robb
05-24-2013, 09:42 AM
If we use our smart phones continuously while we drive what can we expect for battery life?

gone
05-24-2013, 09:47 AM
Hmm, have you tried Garmin's software? I don't know if it specifically has that functionality, but it would make sense that it did. They're pretty lowly rated in their respective app stores though, not sure why.
No, I've not tried it but I might. I don't think there's a "perfect" intersection of desirable features though. The big plus for a smartphone is essentially continuously updated information (maps). The big plus for a Garmin (at least the devices) is richer navigation options.

Given their history, I wouldn't be surprised if the Garmin smartphone app did have that functionality but that they charged for map and/or software updates.

gone
05-24-2013, 09:49 AM
If we use our smart phones continuously while we drive what can we expect for battery life?
Not much, you'd either better have it on a charger or have a big honkin after market battery. Even on a charger I think the rate of charge isn't sufficient to keep up with the drain for all day use when navigating though I could be wrong about this. I know for sure it wasn't on a Droid V1.

jh_on_the_cape
05-24-2013, 09:52 AM

Short, you have to keep it plugged in.

A smartphone only works for nav if you have data coverage. If you drive someplace remote without data coverage, it will not work, at least mine does not work with the google nav app. So you would have to get one that works on internal memory.

We have an older Garmin that works well. We opted for the bigger screen and the ability to say street names rather than 'right' and 'left'.
It's a few years old but works great. I bought the European maps for trips to Italy. It's a pain to remove the North America map and then load the Euro map, it takes almost an hour for some reason. I wish it had the SD card slot.

rice rocket
05-24-2013, 09:57 AM

This topic gets complex. Yes and no, depending on what cable you use.

There's two specs for USB, data + charge, and charge only. Data + charge is limited to 250 mA of current, charge only is 1A+ (or whatever your phone will take, really, the charging circuitry will limit power as determined by the manufacturer).

So, in order to be able to take advantage of the 1A+ charging, you need to have a CHARGE ONLY USB cable. This shorts the data pins at the phone, which will put it into charge only mode.

You can verify this by going into your settings and seeing if it shows up at "USB charging" or A/C charging. A/C is what you want.

As for iPhones, I have no idea, you dudes are at the mercy of what Apple is willing to sell you.

A smartphone only works for nav if you have data coverage. If you drive someplace remote without data coverage, it will not work, at least mine does not work with the google nav app. So you would have to get one that works on internal memory.

Yes and no, Google nav will pre-cache the whole route if you're in data coverage when you start the route. If you detour off the path too far where there's no data, then yes, you're screwed, but they usually catch a couple miles around your route in case that happens.

Elefantino
05-24-2013, 10:02 AM
Looking to buy one, and the choices seem overwhelming.
I am going with Garmin brand, but there seem to be so many Nuvi models.
Not too concerned with locating attractions, but want to be able to navigate from point A to point B throughout North America as easily as possible.
Help!
The cheap Nüvi works great. We got from point A (Florida) to point B (California) without issue.

My smartphone, on the other hand, mistook El Paso for Cuidad Juarez and switched me over to international calling.

MattTuck
05-24-2013, 10:07 AM
I'm no expert, but I've noticed when I upload my rides to strava, that if I used my phone (instead of garmin), the GPS is much less accurate. I've used my phone sometimes for navigating in the car, but really prefer a dedicated mounted GPS. There's no good place to put the phone and if you get a call, you're in a (in my opinion) very bad distracted driving situation.

Basic Garmin is probably all you need. I have a nuvi from 5 years ago with no updates and it handles most things ok, assuming the road isn't new since I bought it.

Ralph
05-24-2013, 11:00 AM
I know most people think of GPS devices as gadgets to give directions when you don't know where you are going. But I use mine, both factory units and a Nuvi, for a lot more than that. And to me....the bigger the screen the better. Wife's Edge has a 10" screen.

I keep mine on all the time when driving. Like to see the roads I'm on, and alternate route. Road construction, wrecks, like to get altrnate route or detour advice. Not sure you can do this with a smart phone......yet! Or screen lare enough, or battery life enough.....yet. Galaxy has a big screen.....but nothing like a 5 or 7" Garmin portable I would think. The Garmin portables are nice.....and cheap. BTW....I think it's nice to be able to put in your destination phone number (hotel for example) and have it set the route with that, and always have that hotel name, address, and phone number in front of you on screen....for road trips.

deechee
05-24-2013, 12:03 PM

For Android I use OSMand. (Open street maps). You can download maps by state/country and as long as your phone has a dedicated GPS chipset, you can use the mapping without data. I use it frequently when I'm roaming.

I haven't tried downloading maps, but I know Nokia Here offers the option on iOS. Nokia maps on Symbian and Win7/8 should allow you to download as well.

Back to the OP, I would also look for multi-touch support. I HATE pushing the + or - button to zoom in and out of maps on the car garmin. Being able to do the two finger zoom in/out is what I want for my next GPS. Lifetime maps is nice but the process is reallllllly slooow. (uploading to the device.) My device is maybe 2 years old?

jh_on_the_cape
05-24-2013, 12:56 PM
I will try that one. The thing I meant on google nav is that you have to start with coverage. If you change anything or start your route without coverage... no luck.

I normally use my phone for around town local stuff like taking kids to some birthday party.

For a long road trip, I bring the Garmin XL or whatever it is.

For Android I use OSMand. (Open street maps). You can download maps by state/country and as long as your phone has a dedicated GPS chipset, you can use the mapping without data. I use it frequently when I'm roaming.

I haven't tried downloading maps, but I know Nokia Here offers the option on iOS. Nokia maps on Symbian and Win7/8 should allow you to download as well.

Back to the OP, I would also look for multi-touch support. I HATE pushing the + or - button to zoom in and out of maps on the car garmin. Being able to do the two finger zoom in/out is what I want for my next GPS. Lifetime maps is nice but the process is reallllllly slooow. (uploading to the device.) My device is maybe 2 years old?

1centaur
05-24-2013, 06:12 PM
Assuming you go with a Garmin, I agree on the sandbag - much better than suction cups.

My particular key feature: the ability to enter long and lat ("coordinates," in Garmin speak) so that a cyclist who needs a pick-up can call with coordinates and you can enter those coordinates to find him/her. Last I checked many Garmins lacked this and most non-Garmins lacked it.

As for screen size, depends on your eyesight and your car size (how far from the mid-dash area are you?). Bigger really is nicer most of the time.

dogdriver
05-24-2013, 07:51 PM
FWIW, we have a Tom Tom that works great, but I don't think we've turned it on since my wife got an iPhone...

SoCalSteve
05-24-2013, 08:47 PM
FWIW, we have a Tom Tom that works great, but I don't think we've turned it on since my wife got an iPhone...

Of all the GPS 's I have used ( many ) I find that the Tom Tom has the very best routing options. If you are using it mostly for getting from point A to point B the quickest and best route, buy a Tom Tom.

Good luck!

djg21
05-24-2013, 09:52 PM
I have a NUVI 3490 that I really like. I have an iPhone too, and while commuting to work or driving distance, I keep the phone plugged into a charger with Waze running. (Highly recommend Waze as a means of avoiding speedtraps; don't use the navigation features too often. It is free). The NUVI is far easier use and see than my iPhone.

The NUVI's 3D display is really nice, and the routing is good. I've never found the voice activation very helpful and keep it turned off. The lifetime map updates are worth the extra dollars.

I have an OCD issue with wires dangling from my dash, so I use a ProClip mount, and did a semi-permanent installation in my car. I ran the power cord through an AC vent and back behind the dash, where I tapped into a switched power supply and installed an additional 120v adapter from RadioShack. I can remove the GPS from the car, but leave the mount installed. The traffic receiver still works fine even though it is buried behind the dash.

http://www.proclipusa.com/gps-holders/device/garmin.cmsv?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=devicemounts&utm_term=garmin-garmin%20mounts&gclid=CIPb1ayYsLcCFcU7MgodXTcAfQp

OldCrank
05-29-2013, 06:37 PM
hard to beat the bang-for-buck of Nuvi.
I like the 'lifetime maps update'.

DfCas
05-29-2013, 07:07 PM
Does a smartphone eat your data plan if you navigate with it for hours? I have a 4 year old Garmin with text to speech that works well, and I find it easier to use than my iphone. The feature I want on my next Garmin is voice programming, no typing in the address.

bikinchris
05-29-2013, 09:39 PM
Do you have a laptop? Get a Delorme:

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=10091