PDA

View Full Version : I need help with my Phil Wood hub

jberenyi
05-24-2013, 07:43 AM
I just bought a used Burley Duet tandem and in the deal the guy gave me another rear wheel with a Phil Wood hub. I went to put the wheel on last night and noticed it had Allen bolts with shouldered spacers and no quick release. The axle is hollow but the thru hole is larger than the skewer wheel it was replacing. What can this total noob do to get back a quick release capability?:confused:

oldpotatoe
05-24-2013, 07:46 AM
I just bought a used Burley Duet tandem and in the deal the guy gave me another rear wheel with a Phil Wood hub. I went to put the wheel on last night and noticed it had Allen bolts with shouldered spacers and no quick release. The axle is hollow but the thru hole is larger than the skewer wheel it was replacing. What can this total noob do to get back a quick release capability?:confused:

Call Phil, have them send you QR axle ends of the correct length. They just unscrew from the hub. Hole one, 6mm allen, unscrew-hold other end, unscrew. Use an axle vice so you don't goober up the threads.

bicycletricycle
05-24-2013, 08:03 AM
Just use the bolts, the new axle ends are going to b like $100 dollars

05-24-2013, 10:52 AM
The point of bolts on the ends of a rear tandem wheel is that it's too easy to pull a wheel with a quick release. All you need with the bolts is an allen key, and it only takes seconds. It's a more solid approach. I would switch any tandem rear wheels to bolt attachment anyway.

ColonelJLloyd
05-24-2013, 11:06 AM
I agree with the suggestion to not convert the hub. It's a good system, leave it be.

jberenyi
05-24-2013, 11:07 AM
Well Phil said to get new caps would be $130. Choke...choke. I'll stick with the bolts and in the mean time I'm having a guy in the shop CNC me a stainless steel sleeve to insert in the hub. My other friends have done this effort with their mountain bikes. See no reaon why a sleeve wouldn't work for this effort as well. I just want to see if this will work but I will probably end up just sticking with bolts. Thanks for the replies everyone :)

oldpotatoe
05-25-2013, 07:55 AM
Well Phil said to get new caps would be $130. Choke...choke. I'll stick with the bolts and in the mean time I'm having a guy in the shop CNC me a stainless steel sleeve to insert in the hub. My other friends have done this effort with their mountain bikes. See no reaon why a sleeve wouldn't work for this effort as well. I just want to see if this will work but I will probably end up just sticking with bolts. Thanks for the replies everyone :)

Well, just gotta be sure there is an 'axle end', a 10mm section that goes into the dropouts..what the bolt with shouldered washer on the bolt ons...do.

05-25-2013, 12:37 PM
I've seen BMXers convert Phil Wood hubs for their use, but honestly, their conversions are pretty sketchy. The few who've done MTB conversions that I've seen weren't too hot either. You're riding a tandem and putting a lot of weight on that rear wheel so I still think you should use bolts.

However, if you want the rear quick release, call Phil Wood directly. You are only getting two thread-on end caps. Their retail price sheet didn't add up to anything like $130.

jerome
05-25-2013, 01:12 PM
It is good
I have switch to DT Swiss skewers for this

keep the bolt - and never forget your keys

have a good one