PDA

View Full Version : Di Luca

jpw
05-24-2013, 05:07 AM
We've all be entertained by the cyclist in fluorescent yellow during the Giro, one Danilo Di Luca, seen surging out of the peloton on numerous occasions and attacking for stage victories.

He's just tested positive for EPO.

P.S. today's stage has been cancelled due to bad weather.

mike p
05-24-2013, 05:33 AM
That's not possible, they're all clean now.

Mike

BumbleBeeDave
05-24-2013, 05:39 AM
"Vini Fantini directeur sportif Luca Scinto confirmed the news of Di Luca's positive for EPO to Cyclingnews.

"It's true," Scinto said in a quiet, sad voice. "He's mad, he's a cretino, he needs treatment. There's nothing else to say. We gave him a second chance and the sponsors put their faith in him and this is how he pays us back. It's crazy that a rider thinks they can get away with it like that.""

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/danilo-di-luca-positive-for-epo

BBD

jpw
05-24-2013, 05:46 AM
That's not possible, they're all clean now.

Mike

Swiss labs are crap at EPO tests.

Tandem Rider
05-24-2013, 05:48 AM
Unless I miscounted it's his 3rd violation.

Coming in 2014 to the Gran Fondoper circuit the Danilo DiLuca Gran Fondoper somewhere in Italy.

PQJ
05-24-2013, 06:36 AM
I hope someone does the right thing and offers him a spot as a team DS. He certainly has earned it. And with his doping palmares, he deserves no less than a well funded pro tour team.

Black Dog
05-24-2013, 06:37 AM
Old dopers can not learn new tricks. :butt:

Thanks goodness the UCI has been leading the effort to clean up cycling and come to terms with it's past...:rolleyes:

cfox
05-24-2013, 06:44 AM
He's Riccardo Ricco with a slightly better haircut. pathetic

shovelhd
05-24-2013, 06:52 AM
I had the same thought. Ricco revived.

bostondrunk
05-24-2013, 06:58 AM
Further proof that the sanctions imposed on Armstrong, lifetime ban, are ridiculous. Doping is alive and well in cycling, despite LA being out of the sport.
Every rider testing positive, including LA's former teammates, should receive lifetime bans. Otherwise LA should only get 2 years like the rest of them.

paulh
05-24-2013, 07:18 AM
Cretino?!? That's a good word. Can I use that?

"Vini Fantini directeur sportif Luca Scinto confirmed the news of Di Luca's positive for EPO to Cyclingnews.

"It's true," Scinto said in a quiet, sad voice. "He's mad, he's a cretino, he needs treatment. There's nothing else to say. We gave him a second chance and the sponsors put their faith in him and this is how he pays us back. It's crazy that a rider thinks they can get away with it like that.""

BBD

MattTuck
05-24-2013, 07:30 AM
We've all be entertained by the cyclist in fluorescent yellow during the Giro, one Danilo Di Luca, seen surging out of the peloton on numerous occasions and attacking for stage victories.

I'm more bummed that today's stage has been cancelled. I guess that makes me a cynic.:help:

jpw
05-24-2013, 07:32 AM
I'm waiting for the inevitable absurd Pat McQuaid quote.

oldpotatoe
05-24-2013, 08:12 AM

Slow learner or he needs a better doctor, or both. Too bad the lifetime ban doesn't include returning all the $ received whilst racing, while doping. A person's conscience won't be effected but hit his wallet and they 'may' take note.

laupsi
05-24-2013, 08:28 AM
interesting tid-bit; had a friend attend a lecture given by well known truth commissioner Tyler Hamilton. not knowing how TH would know first hand but he told his audience the pro peloton is STILL riddled w/drugs.

Perhaps I'm naïve; I found this disturbing.

Lovetoclimb
05-24-2013, 08:32 AM
Tyler Hamilton is apparently coaching now**, which seems a little questionable.

**via Twitter, no official journo source to provide

chengher87
05-24-2013, 08:34 AM
Catching dopers doesn't seem to be the problem. It's what the UCI and other governing bodies do once there is a positive test. The Spanish courts first clearing Contador without any due diligence, the repeated delays to allow him to ride the Tour and then the Operacion Puerto debacle that has dragged on for years with the accused receiving little to no punishment and now the Spanish courts orders the rest of the "unknown" blood bags to be destroyed. Levi and Menchov have both had "suspect" blood levels, but their director sportifs were only warned and given a choice to suspend them, not an enforcement by the UCI and Race sponsors....a choice.

Cyclists tell how easy it is to miss tests (pulling out of races with injury, shutting off all communications and not opening the door) and all the UCI does is "when are you available for another test?".

Elefantino
05-24-2013, 08:37 AM
And no Michael Ball to bail him out. Too bad.

Die, Killer. You're pond scum.

FlashUNC
05-24-2013, 08:44 AM
Tyler Hamilton is apparently coaching now**, which seems a little questionable.

**via Twitter, no official journo source to provide

Don't need to look too far for that:

http://www.tylerhamilton.com/

He seems more targeted to the weekend warrior set.

crownjewelwl
05-24-2013, 08:44 AM
learned some new italian today

CRETINO...brilliant!!

CunegoFan
05-24-2013, 08:54 AM
interesting tid-bit; had a friend attend a lecture given by well known truth commissioner Tyler Hamilton. not knowing how TH would know first hand but he told his audience the pro peloton is STILL riddled w/drugs.

Perhaps I'm naïve; I found this disturbing.

Anyone who could watch Sky last year and think things have changed is naive.

Armstrong on DiLuca: I still can't help but think, "really Di Luca? Are you that ****ing stupid??"

That is not surprise that DiLuca is doping. It is surprise he was dumb enough to get caught for EPO.

crownjewelwl
05-24-2013, 08:55 AM

Armstrong on DiLuca: I still can't help but think, "really Di Luca? Are you that ****ing stupid??"

That is not surprise that DiLuca is doping. It is surprise he was dumb enough to get caught for EPO.

luv LA's preface to his tweet...

is he implying that he was too smart to get caught? just sayin...

bobswire
05-24-2013, 09:07 AM
I was rooting for him a few times this Grio when he animated some of the stages. I was hoping he was clean since he wasn't able to maintain his challenges as he did in the past. Makes wonder about those who dropped him like a rock.

laupsi
05-24-2013, 09:18 AM
I was rooting for him a few times this Grio when he animated some of the stages. I was hoping he was clean since he wasn't able to maintain his challenges as he did in the past. Makes wonder about those who dropped him like a rock.

yea, my mind was busy watching Nibo kill that TT!

CunegoFan
05-24-2013, 09:22 AM
luv LA's preface to his tweet...

is he implying that he was too smart to get caught? just sayin...

I think he is saying he has a lot of experience getting around the testing. He knows how dumb or sloppy you have to be to get caught by a test.

Side topic, but word on the street is that Menchov's recent and sudden retirement is due to passport issues.

Lewis Moon
05-24-2013, 10:00 AM
This makes me sad. I WANT to believe that pro cycling is clean. I don't want to watch cheaters.

There needs to be random and mandatory testing. Manditory as in, they show up with ten or so phlebotomists to the starting line, pull 40 race numbers out of a hat and those guys give blood or they don't start. Then the race is neutralized for the first 15 or so kilometers.

Vientomas
05-24-2013, 10:01 AM
Di Luca: UCI's sacrificial lamb for this year's Giro.

slidey
05-24-2013, 10:18 AM
I'm not sure about Sky, but I'm certainly very wary after their performance. Seemed 'clinical' in more ways than one!

On a related note, here's an interesting article: http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/05/news/road/armstrong-vaughters-talking-about-moving-cycling-forward_287358

Paves the way for Lance's entry (as team owner/DS) into the sport in a few years I think.

jpw
05-24-2013, 10:39 AM
Di Luca is "surprised" by the test result;

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/di-luca-surprised-by-positive-test-for-epo

krismac23
05-24-2013, 10:39 AM
I miss the days of ignorance and ridiculous performances. What happen to the paolo bettini's of the world.... Oh yea doping regulations. Dam u UCI! (I do love warching me some Bettini tho)

MattTuck
05-24-2013, 10:45 AM
Di Luca is "surprised" by the test result;

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/di-luca-surprised-by-positive-test-for-epo

"As he entered a car and left the scene Di Luca was finally asked if he as surprised by the news. "Yes. Arrivederci," he said."

Awesome. Even doping denials sound better in Italian.

MattTuck
05-24-2013, 11:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQhHyHkCeBo

slidey
05-24-2013, 11:36 AM
The rest of it is available in PPV!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQhHyHkCeBo

jeduardo
05-24-2013, 02:05 PM
Speaking to Cyclingnews earlier in the Giro, Di Luca insisted that his strong performances were explicable by “training well all winter” and said that he hoped to continue racing for two more years.

QUOTE=BumbleBeeDave;1356084]"Vini Fantini directeur sportif Luca Scinto confirmed the news of Di Luca's positive for EPO to Cyclingnews.

BBD[/QUOTE]

oldpotatoe
05-25-2013, 07:53 AM
This makes me sad. I WANT to believe that ________ is clean. I don't want to watch cheaters.

There needs to be random and mandatory testing. Manditory as in, they show up with ten or so phlebotomists to the starting line, pull 40 race numbers out of a hat and those guys give blood or they don't start. Then the race is neutralized for the first 15 or so kilometers.

Put name of pro(and some amateur sports) in the blank...from Golf to F1 racing and all in between..

Take a look at Nadal now and compare about 4 years ago. All are 'not clean'.

93legendti
05-25-2013, 08:21 AM
And no Michael Ball to bail him out. Too bad.

Really?

binxnyrwarrsoul
05-25-2013, 09:00 AM
He needs to just go away.

slidey
05-25-2013, 12:36 PM
Are you implying that Nadal doped? If you're implying this, then please do so only with evidence.

Its simply too easy to point a finger from an armchair.

Take a look at Nadal now and compare about 4 years ago. All are 'not clean'.

jpw
05-25-2013, 12:56 PM
Are you implying that Nadal doped? If you're implying this, then please do so only with evidence.

there's a rumor that some of the blood bags in the Fuentes case relate to a Spanish tennis player, and Federer has said that drug testing in tennis is a joke.

binxnyrwarrsoul
05-25-2013, 12:59 PM

The pictures are a bit of evidence. Floats along for years at a certain weight/body type, then suddenly, buff. Hmmm...

Plus 1 on the Fuentes "link."

slidey
05-25-2013, 01:26 PM
That is no evidence of any sort, that is just plain insinuation.

Case in point: My former roommate used to have the typical physique of a lab-rat i.e. beer-belly, overweight in general. This was his general physical condition for at least 6 or 7 years (by his own admission). In less than a year, he went from that to becoming an absolute hunk, 6-pack, veins popping, every muscle displayed clearly, etc. And I know how he did it...obsessive discipline on his diet, and workout schedules. Come rain or shine he'd ride his bike to the gym every single day, and the results were there to be seen. It was so remarkable that he became the go-to guy for weight-loss/bodybuilding advice for many of our friends, friends' friends, etc...but of course, very few took his advice for obvious reasons. In other words, if you think those two pictures above are any proof of doping at work, then you and everyone else are wrong. There can be much more drastic physical transformations brought about in as short a time, by strictly organic ways, and I've seen them first hand. Hence, those pics are nothing but a figment of pointless insinuation to me.

The pictures are a bit of evidence. Floats along for years at a certain weight/body type, then suddenly, buff.

I'm squarely opposed to doping in sports, but am much more opposed to pointless insinuation.

binxnyrwarrsoul
05-25-2013, 04:19 PM
Cool your jets, wasn't said he doped, said he looks suspicious.

"...obsessive discipline on his diet, and workout schedules."

That didn't change that brow on Nadal. Much like Barry Bonds needed a larger size batting helmet. Yeah, the skull keeps growing.

You are correct, though. No real evidence. Just humble opinion, from some bike freak on a forum. But there was no real evidence againt all the doping cyclists.

Well documented that testing in tennis is a joke. And the elite are untouchable.

"I know that if nandrolone were found on Agassi, they would not disclose it. He is a very prominent, very popular player and if he were to fall, the world of tennis would fall with him." The Chilean remembered a case in Australia 2002 "where there was a control and Agassi disappeared, saying that they were going to kidnap his son..." Marcelo Rios

T.J.
05-25-2013, 05:12 PM

Wow, for real?

oldpotatoe
05-25-2013, 07:47 PM
That is no evidence of any sort, that is just plain insinuation.

Case in point: My former roommate used to have the typical physique of a lab-rat i.e. beer-belly, overweight in general. This was his general physical condition for at least 6 or 7 years (by his own admission). In less than a year, he went from that to becoming an absolute hunk, 6-pack, veins popping, every muscle displayed clearly, etc. And I know how he did it...obsessive discipline on his diet, and workout schedules. Come rain or shine he'd ride his bike to the gym every single day, and the results were there to be seen. It was so remarkable that he became the go-to guy for weight-loss/bodybuilding advice for many of our friends, friends' friends, etc...but of course, very few took his advice for obvious reasons. In other words, if you think those two pictures above are any proof of doping at work, then you and everyone else are wrong. There can be much more drastic physical transformations brought about in as short a time, by strictly organic ways, and I've seen them first hand. Hence, those pics are nothing but a figment of pointless insinuation to me.

I'm squarely opposed to doping in sports, but am much more opposed to pointless insinuation.

Righto-enjoy your trip to disneyland.......and LA didn't dope either, he never tested postitive!!

course his helmet didn't fit anymore..I'm sure Barry Bonds didn't dope either.

You believe whatever you wish..and ya know, I will too.

chengher87
05-25-2013, 08:39 PM
Righto-enjoy your trip to disneyland.......and LA didn't dope either, he never tested postitive!!

course his helmet didn't fit anymore..I'm sure Barry Bonds didn't dope either.

You believe whatever you wish..and ya know, I will too.

As if all that "whey" protein wasn't spiked with something else right?

Tandem Rider
05-25-2013, 10:04 PM
Spiked every few days...

Reality check, it's the entertainment business.

The $ he paid for "training plans" isn't even on the radar with these folks, neither is his salary. It's the same with any "sport" in the business.

Does anyone actually think a kid who comes out of high school weighing 225 4.8 40 yard time, division 1 material, and 4 years later is 290, 4.3 40 yard time does it on milk shakes and cheeseburgers? Wanna buy a bridge?? Ever hear of P.T. Barnum???

slidey
05-26-2013, 12:12 AM
There's truth, and then there's BS. Oldpotatoe's post which insinuated a connection of doping via a Before/After pic is just sensationalist and isn't in the same area code as the truth.

Now if y'all choose to, we can continue arguing about a hypothetical case where there is no proof or we can focus on a proven dirty rider! Either ways, suit yourselves.

jpw
05-26-2013, 03:49 AM
My feeling is that if Nibali tested positive during this Giro it would be covered up.
I'm not saying i suspect that he is doping, but i suspect that economic interests in the background would move to protect themselves. The riders, the races, they're proxies for economic battles between commercial interests (e.g. ASO v RCS).

PQJ
05-26-2013, 06:27 AM
I really like Nadal, both as a player and a person. There's also no doubt in my mind that he's been on a program. Djokovic too, though I can't say I'm particularly fond of him, either as a person or a player (but his impersonations are a hoot).

If, in 2013, you think pro athletes should be given the benefit of the doubt (especially, but not exclusively, those at the top), well that's cute and naive and all, and I'm sorry to say the joke is on you.

oldpotatoe
05-26-2013, 06:41 AM
I really like Nadal, both as a player and a person. There's also no doubt in my mind that he's been on a program. Djokovic too, though I can't say I'm particularly fond of him, either as a person or a player (but his impersonations are a hoot).

If, in 2013, you think pro athletes should be given the benefit of the doubt (especially, but not exclusively, those at the top), well that's cute and naive and all, and I'm sorry to say the joke is on you.

But, but, but........oh never mind. I'm gonna watch Ryan Braun play some baseball.

PQJ
05-26-2013, 07:03 AM
I know, oldp. How dare I, an anonymous peanut on an Internet message board, speculate about the drug taking habits of one of the most physical tennis players ever who also happens to have had a number of possibly miraculous recoveries from injuries, and who is/was at his prime in what's probably the most drug infested era in the history of professional sports?

oldpotatoe
05-26-2013, 07:18 AM
I know, oldp. How dare I, an anonymous peanut on an Internet message board, speculate about the drug taking habits of one of the most physical tennis players ever who also happens to have had a number of possibly miraculous recoveries from injuries, and who is/was at his prime in what's probably the most drug infested era in the history of professional sports?

Tee-hee, yep...still watch a lot of baseball..."they took Joe into the club house in the third inning for an injection so he could finish the game"...

"That's entertainment"..sing it with feeling!!

slidey
05-26-2013, 11:40 AM
You assume too little of me.

I agree with the general assessment that almost all professional sports is tainted, but that's it. In such a setting, pin-pointing one or two athletes without proof is poor form, and is akin to TSA's racial profiling.

Doberman
05-26-2013, 01:42 PM
Where there is smoke there is fire. If it smells like crap, it is crap.

You know all the idioms. If Nadal looks like he is doping, more than likely he is. The naive attitude that no hero could possibly dope is what allowed the guilty to dupe the public for so long.

TSA, Racial profiling? Don't get me started. Men aged 18-30 more likely to commit terrorist acts. Fact. *** is the TSA doing making grandmas, babies and families that clearly don't fit the profile go through extensive checks? Total waste of resources. Instead of doing a great job on the ones that matter, they do a mediocre job on everyone. They be much better off doing what El Al does.

false_Aest
05-26-2013, 02:02 PM
Hrm.

This is like going to cnn.com
They say its news but everyone really knows its not.

Where's FOX when you need em?

Liv2RideHard
06-03-2013, 11:29 AM
Mauro Santambrogio...Di Luca teammate...positive for EPO opening day of the Giro. Shouldn't be a surprise I guess. What a twit.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/santambrogio-suspended-by-uci-for-epo-positive

MattTuck
06-03-2013, 11:31 AM
Mauro Santambrogio...Di Luca teammate...positive for EPO opening day of the Giro. Shouldn't be a surprise I guess. What a twit.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/santambrogio-suspended-by-uci-for-epo-positive

Was just about to post this as a new thread.