PDA

View Full Version : Whoa - Cycling is now officially mainstream

Louis
05-23-2013, 10:29 PM
Earlier this evening after getting back from my ride I was puttering around the kitchen. I had the radio on to FM 101 ESPN and some national show (ie not local) guys were talking about misc stuff. First RG3 then NBA, etc. They went to a commercial break and it was an ad for PerformanceBike.com, "the biggest cycling store chain in the country" (or something like that).

I couldn't believe it - an ad for Performance on sports-talk radio!!!

What's next - coverage of the local crits preempts NCAA football?

rice rocket
05-23-2013, 10:47 PM
Ads were probably cheap enough. Because do people actually listen to sports talk radio?

:fight:

Louis
05-23-2013, 10:59 PM
do people actually listen to sports talk radio?

NPR had something on the federal Farm Bill, which I wasn't quite in the mood for, and the Cardinals have the day off.

oldpotatoe
05-24-2013, 07:45 AM
Earlier this evening after getting back from my ride I was puttering around the kitchen. I had the radio on to FM 101 ESPN and some national show (ie not local) guys were talking about misc stuff. First RG3 then NBA, etc. They went to a commercial break and it was an ad for PerformanceBike.com, "the biggest cycling store chain in the country" (or something like that).

I couldn't believe it - an ad for Performance on sports-talk radio!!!

What's next - coverage of the local crits preempts NCAA football?

If ya got enough $ you could advertise a school that teaches healing drumming on E$PN radio.

William
05-24-2013, 09:10 AM
I also heard that on a local news talk station.

The more people hear about bikes, the more people will think about bikes.....hopefully.:rolleyes:

William

firerescuefin
05-24-2013, 09:18 AM
It was on Mike and Mike in the Morning yesterday....which is about as widely listened to as Sports Radio is.

Fishbike
05-24-2013, 09:55 AM
I hear the ad on a big Boston news station -- WBZ -- yesterday as well. It certainly cought my attention since there are no stores around here. The ad said "everything" was on sale.

crownjewelwl
05-24-2013, 10:07 AM
dude...jake gyllenhal rides a trek with a pie plate wearing rapha

and mamils everywhere

cycling has jumped the shark