PDA

View Full Version : Why I often don't DIY

Bikerist
05-23-2013, 10:56 AM
Think of the money I saved by replacing the derailleur cables myself.

NOT!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8402/8792899657_6ed5fd5f4f_b.jpg

I guess I'll be ebaying a replacement. If anyone has a 105/ultegra/D-ace 9 speed derailleur they want to unload cheap, send me a PM. Apparently I'm too new to post a WTB in the classifieds.

Black Dog
05-23-2013, 11:07 AM
Assuming that broke when you were loosening the bolt, it would have happened no matter what. Bolts seize and stuff breaks. Grease threads in the future to avoid this.

oliver1850
05-23-2013, 11:09 AM
You can pick up a new Sora 3400 for around $20 shipped on ebay. Only weighs 40g more than a 6500 and is better looking.

thwart
05-23-2013, 11:24 AM
I'm all for using stuff up, but that RD had likely outlasted it's useful life anyway.

That's exactly why you do your own wrenching, actually...

jds108
05-23-2013, 11:35 AM
As said earlier, it probably already was on the path to failure. Better that it happens at home than out on the road.

IMO - better that it happens at home than a bike shop as well. If I dropped off my bike at a shop and they later called and said the derailleur fell apart my first reaction would be to question their competence or lack thereof, not that the part was just about to fail regardless...

If you get in the habit of looking over the bike once in a while and making adjustments/repairs on your own, you'll definitely be minimizing the number of issues that you'll encounter out on the road due to your own preventive maintenance.

Bikerist
05-23-2013, 10:09 PM
IMO - better that it happens at home than a bike shop as well. If I dropped off my bike at a shop and they later called and said the derailleur fell apart my first reaction would be to question their competence or lack thereof, not that the part was just about to fail regardless.....

Very true. Makes you feel for the BS they have to put up with some times.

I did get a couple of great offers here but since I had a $50 credit on Amazon I ordered a Sora (as suggested) for $30.98 shipped.

dogdriver
05-23-2013, 10:21 PM
Don't sweat it. Its all part of the journey.

I've screwed up more bike bits, guitar components, plumbing fixtures, and car parts than I can count. The key is to stop before you destroy something that can't be undone or easily replaced (ie-- NEVER clamp a bike frame tube, try to remove a glued neck from a guitar, cut a water pipe flush with the floor, or mess with anything on a car that's held on by anything more permanent than a bolt). An old rear derr is no big deal.

Louis
05-23-2013, 10:36 PM
If it happened when you were tightening it maybe you need a torque wrench.

If it happened when you were loosening did you have to apply excessive force, or did it fail at a reasonable force? If it was the latter, then it would probably have failed for the LBS wrench if they were doing the work instead.

Usually the fastener goes first, which is almost as bad as what happened to you, because depending on where it fails and how much is left protruding it can be a pita to remove (and often not worth the hassle).

fjaws
05-24-2013, 06:00 AM
Are those teeth marks in it from Vice-Grips or Channel-Locks or something??

Looks like you got your money out of it either way.

mktng
05-24-2013, 07:24 AM
sure a handful of us will go home and grease every nut and bolt on our bikes now. :P

oldpotatoe
05-24-2013, 07:31 AM
Think of the money I saved by replacing the derailleur cables myself.

NOT!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8402/8792899657_6ed5fd5f4f_b.jpg

I guess I'll be ebaying a replacement. If anyone has a 105/ultegra/D-ace 9 speed derailleur they want to unload cheap, send me a PM. Apparently I'm too new to post a WTB in the classifieds.

You can use a shimano 10s RD w/o problem...for info