PDA

View Full Version : What a 37 Percent Hill Looks Like

CalfeeFly
12-05-2005, 12:10 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/images3/20051127smbike01_HP580.jpg

http://www.post-gazette.com/popup.asp?img=http://www.post-gazette.c
om/images3/20050130mr_here_steepPJ01_580.jpg

If you want more information on the ride this hill is part of see page 5 of How Steep is Steep.

CalfeeFly
12-05-2005, 12:14 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/images3/20050130mr_here_steepPJ01_450.jpg

Best part of it all...the street is cobbles. :bike:

Kevan
12-05-2005, 12:18 PM
about guys pulling their bike's fork right out through the head tube climbing that thing!

CalfeeFly
12-05-2005, 12:31 PM
This year the person who won 2nd place up the hill went up it in his big ring.

The following quote is from Danny Chew who helped organize the ride this is part of...he has won RAAM twice. Can you even imagine 66 times up any hill like this much less in a 42x28?

"I reminded Steevo about my 66 consecutive, crash-free times up Canton Avenue, he suggested that he and team-mate Peter Culley may just go for that record. It took me just two hours to do using a 42x28 low gear back in the 1980's when I ruled the DD. I found it more terrifying to go down that hill so many times rather than up it. Back in the era of of toe clips & straps, I had to make the straps so tight (to keep from pulling my feet out) that my feet got bloody!"

davids
12-05-2005, 01:27 PM
All I can say is, "Yow!"

I think a lot of people don't realize how hilly Pittsburgh is. I visited there a lot as a kid, and it's my chief memory! We had family friends in Mt. Lebanon, and I used to get winded walking uphill from their backyard to the street!

This was my favorite photo:Race time (http://www.moneyforhouses.net/cycling/dd/picture2.php?pic=Canton.jpg)

CalfeeFly
12-05-2005, 01:37 PM
That is a good shot of Canton.

A friend who did it last year felt it was as much about bike handling skills as strength. Pulling wheelies on a hill is not fun! Then when you add in the cobbles and ...

CalfeeFly
12-05-2005, 01:39 PM
http://www.moneyforhouses.net/cycling/dd/Canton.jpg

Dr. Doofus
12-05-2005, 02:07 PM
now

get somebody with a lot of money

bankroll a pro race

add 10 miles to make it a loop

have em ride it twice

freaking epic

(and it'll never happen)

CalfeeFly
12-05-2005, 02:39 PM
Actually Pittsburgh had a race that got quite famous. They went up another one of the Dirty Dozen Hills 12 times. Lance won the last time. It was called the Thrift Drug Classic. The sponsorship went and so did the race unfortunately. Everyone came for that race since the hill was such a challenge. It ended with cobbles at the top. That street is Sycamore.

BumpyintheBurgh
12-05-2005, 02:48 PM
Calfeefly, great pictures.

Pittsburgh Hills
Being located in the foothills of the Alleghenies, Pittsburgh has more hills than most metropolitan areas. That combined with road conditions that include no shoulders in many areas, cobblestone and brick roads, as well as potholes and road debris makes the area quite a challenge. These are the 10 steepest grades in the city. The percentage expresses the steepness of the hill as the rise over run expressed as a percentage. A 0% grade is perfectly flat and a 100% grade is 45 degrees from the horizontal. The angle is the arctan of this number (37% = 20 degrees)
In general, Beechview has the steepest streets in the city. If you look at a topo map you'll see why. They force-fit a manhattan grid on Western PA terrain!
Street Neighborhood
1. Canton Beechview 37%
2. Flowers Hazelwood 28%
3. East Woodford Carrick 27.6%
4. Cutler Northside 26%
5. Rialto (Pig Hill) Troy Hill 24%
6. Tesla Hazelwood 24%
7. Newitt Carrick 23%
8. N. Winebiddle Garfield 23%
9. Hampshire Beechview 23%
10. Potomac Banksville 22%

bluesea
12-05-2005, 04:22 PM
Those pics make it look like a 100% grade.

Kevan
12-05-2005, 04:27 PM
the chest pains it creates.

davids
12-05-2005, 04:35 PM
I'm looking at the guys in the picture again, and the one that really troubles me is the guy off the bike - Imagine trying to push your bike up that slope. You're wearing cleats! You're on cobblestones! You're in trouble! :eek:

CalfeeFly
12-05-2005, 05:25 PM
I'm looking at the guys in the picture again, and the one that really troubles me is the guy off the bike - Imagine trying to push your bike up that slope. You're wearing cleats! You're on cobblestones! You're in trouble! :eek:

Worse yet Danny says go down and start over or go home! The poor guy will slip and slide on his cleats only to be told it doesn't count. The only thing that counts is up without stopping. (Although getting started again on a grade like that would be impossible I'd think...can you imagine trying to clip in to your pedals fast enough?)

coylifut
12-05-2005, 07:15 PM

I wonder if cement would just roll down it and therefore cobbles are necessary?

Skrawny
12-05-2005, 07:26 PM
...and I though San Francisco was hilly...

shinomaster
12-07-2005, 12:07 AM
School street in Arlington (just out side of Boston) is pretty steep. I could feel certain muscles in pain I never knew I had.
Any Portlanders ever ride up SW Corbett in Johns landing? Sick.

William
12-07-2005, 04:54 AM
School street in Arlington (just out side of Boston) is pretty steep. I could feel certain muscles in pain I never knew I had.
Any Portlanders ever ride up SW Corbett in Johns landing? Sick.

Ex-Portlander and yup.

Ever ridden up Newberry? Most people use it to drop down from Skyline to Hwy 30 to get to Sauvie Island. Not real long but has some steep sections as I remember it. Coming down is fun...just watch out for that right hand hair pin near the bottom. ;)

William

cycleman_21
12-07-2005, 06:18 AM

And can you imagine a steam roller at 37% :D :bike:
WAHOO

RC

chrisroph
12-07-2005, 10:14 AM
In Portland, we've got lots of 20% some of it a mile or more of 15% average with 20% stretches--like chehalem which the lance ride went up. Of course, lance, eddy et al missed it because they were being guided by somebody who knows the area like his wife's butt. But that 37% stretch--wicked even if it is short. And those are some great photos.

CalfeeFly
12-07-2005, 01:08 PM
Just in case you are curious...from the Dirty Dozen Web Site...(DD in the article refers to Dirty Dozen)...

"The most exciting challenge on Canton was a race between a runner and a cyclist, which made the front page of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette the next morning. Triathlete and IronMan finisher Joe Ross (who got his only point by placing 5th up Canton) would race 2004 DD winner & 2005 DD leader (future winner) Steve Cummings up Canton. They both started from a stop with Steevo doing a track stand at the bottom of the hill. Running in white socks on the cobblestones, Joe immediately opened up a slight lead, but Steevo took the lead in the middle of the hill only to see Joe sprint past him just before the top of the hill to win. Twas very exciting to watch. Joe told me that effort was easier than riding up any of the 13 hills he did all day."

:hello:

weisan
12-07-2005, 01:20 PM
Steve forgot to draft.

shinomaster
12-07-2005, 04:28 PM
Ex-Portlander and yup.

Ever ridden up Newberry? Most people use it to drop down from Skyline to Hwy 30 to get to Sauvie Island. Not real long but has some steep sections as I remember it. Coming down is fun...just watch out for that right hand hair pin near the bottom. ;)

William

I go up Old Germantown but not Germantown...too much...
When I rode school street in Boston I had a 42 / 21 ....no wonder it was hard. When I moved to Portland I put on a 39...and then got a 25..then a 26! MAybe I'll get a 27 next year..

RABikes2
12-09-2005, 09:07 AM
Have any of you Pittsburgians tried riding up Canton Ave? :crap:

Ahneida Ride
12-09-2005, 09:11 AM
22% is my Limit !
Why ? after that my front wheel becomes airborn !

RABikes2
12-09-2005, 09:14 AM
I grew up 6 miles southwest of downtown Pittsburgh in Castle Shannon surrounded by Mt. Lebanon, Bethel Park, South Park, Whitehall, Brentwood. I left for the military in 1974, but go back to visit relatives every few years. The photos tell a lot about the area; hills, hills, some more hills, and well, more hills (and potholes). I haven't cycled in the Pittsburgh area, but Danny's DD ride (met him on RAAM) has me thinking. Thanksgiving (same time as the Dirty Dozen) might be a good time to plan a family visit and try the ball-buster that he refers to as a "ride" :p . I'd probably fall backwards off my bike on the first "hill", but I could always have fun crewing for the other riders on the following 11 climbs! :p Curious? It sounds like a fun time, however, the photo of Canton Ave. gives me the absolute willy's. Yeeowza! :crap:

RA

BumpyintheBurgh
12-09-2005, 11:33 AM
Have any of you Pittsburgians tried riding up Canton Ave? :crap:
Haven't done Canton yet but went on a W.PA Wheelmen ride last spring that was doing several of the Pittsburgh hills. We started as a group going up Rialto St. (Pig Hill) 24% grade without a warm-up. Half way up the hill, the rider directly in front of me starts drifting back in reverse and rolls back right onto my front wheel. We both went down and he landed on my Campy Neutron, pancaking the wheel. Five minutes into the ride and it's over for me. We will probably do the same ride this spring and hope to complete it this time but with a warm-up and plenty of space between riders.

RABikes2
01-16-2006, 11:03 PM
I received this link from Danny Chew tonight. They were the photos taken at the 2005 Dirty Dozen ride. Looks like they had a fun time! :crap:
http://hypersurface.net/dpetrou/bicycling/dd2005/index.htm
RA

The Spider
01-17-2006, 01:38 AM
How bloody cold is it (in degrees in anyone knows!)? most be less than 4 degrees, close to 0

RABikes2
01-17-2006, 08:22 AM
How bloody cold is it (in degrees in anyone knows!)? most be less than 4 degrees, close to 0
:p You noticed the cold weather gear and the snow on the ground, too. :p According to Danny's recap story at http://www.dannychew.com/dd_05.html it was a 30 degree start with a high of 42 for the day. The ride was under a mostly cloudy sky.

CalfeeFly
01-17-2006, 12:57 PM
Awesome...I have a friend in there and it took until the last photo or so to spot him. (I did not know what he wore.) He comes up from FL to do the ride. :bike:

I started the thread and I'd love to do this ride. In fact I always dreamed someday...if work let up...if I could just ride a little more...if I could just lose 10 pounds...you name it but work took precedence. I live vicariously through my friends and I have done many of the hills with them. Some are just too steep for a 58 year old 220 pounder with a bad knee. When I hit about 18 to 20% or so I have a lot of trouble keeping my front wheel down. If only... :confused:

I did the Wall in Manyuk in past years...I forget just what it is but that is close to my max but I made it. That was once that day yada, yada, yada so no big deal in the bigger scheme of things. My son is grown so I can take my time.

I'm forwarding the link to my friends that follow the DD. Thanks again!

CalfeeFly
01-17-2006, 01:25 PM
I grew up 6 miles southwest of downtown Pittsburgh in Castle Shannon surrounded by Mt. Lebanon, Bethel Park, South Park, Whitehall, Brentwood. I left for the military in 1974, but go back to visit relatives every few years. The photos tell a lot about the area; hills, hills, some more hills, and well, more hills (and potholes). I haven't cycled in the Pittsburgh area, but Danny's DD ride (met him on RAAM) has me thinking. Thanksgiving (same time as the Dirty Dozen) might be a good time to plan a family visit and try the ball-buster that he refers to as a "ride" :p . I'd probably fall backwards off my bike on the first "hill", but I could always have fun crewing for the other riders on the following 11 climbs! :p Curious? It sounds like a fun time, however, the photo of Canton Ave. gives me the absolute willy's. Yeeowza! :crap:
RA

Hey RABikes2...I live in the poor 4th of Lebo! That is right in your neck of the woods. I live on Questend off Sunset. We've been here for 25 years. Too many other places to name them all before that.

I can't promise anything without the wife's approval but we have an extra bed if you want to come on the cheap. If you like Seinfeld...the sofa bed episode in FL...Elaine crippled from it...Jerry avoiding it...I'll warn you it is a sofa bed. :D

The good news it is fairly new and had little use. Those who used it said it wasn't too bad. My son is cool and you must like dogs. I have a Great Pyrennes. My wife is a great cook according to me, number 1 and only son and the number one ***** my dog. ;) I hope you know dogs and all this humor :confused: makes sense.

Please let me know. I'll ride with you to the start. My friend comes from Squirrel Hill I'll probably ride along with you for a little while. I know the first hill and I've done it. I'll let Danny know I'm not really in the full ride. I don't think he'll mind.

I'm on disability so there is maybe 1 chance in a thousand I might be able to reach that point. I know my limits at the moment and I doubt it.

Take care, ride safely.

Spectrum Bob
01-17-2006, 03:55 PM
This thread is definitely sparking my interest – I was born in Pittsburgh and grew up on the East End over by Highland Park. Our trips in are so filled with grandparents for our daughter that we rarely bring in bikes any more – I think in the spring I will need to bring in a bike – anyone want to join me for a couple of hills?

RABikes2
01-18-2006, 08:12 AM
Thank you for the great sofa offer CalfeeFly. :) (Yes, I love dogs!) Pittsburgh is the one place that when I go there's barely enough time for my son and me to visit all the relatives. My older brother and his wife live in Imperial and both of their birthdays are when the DD occurs. We have lodging obligations in Imperial, McDonald, and South Park. :) It would still be nice to meet you and your family and if I decided to bring my bike and try the DD, it'd be great fun to ride with you as far as you'd want to go. Hell, it might be all I want to go ;) :D !

My son and I have been tossing around some summer plans, one being a road trip to Pittsburgh this summer; something we haven't done. We usually visit when it's cold and yucky. We're still not sure what we're going to do, but if we decide to drive up, the bike will be in the Jeep for sure. I'll need a cycling "tour" guide, Calfeefly; maybe you and your cycling friends can show me around. Wow, Pittsburgh by bike...never thought I'd be considering that :rolleyes: .

For my birthday my cousin sent Sam McCool's New "Pittsburghese, How to Speak Like a Pittsburger" book. I left in 1974 and I still get asked if that's where I'm from; "Where are yunz going?" is the giveaway.

Thanks again CalfeeFly. Appreciate your offer! :)
RA

CalfeeFly
01-18-2006, 11:05 AM
I am always up for a ride and in season my "fair" weather friends can be counted in as well.

Bob believe it or not the DD starts just below where you grew up on Washington Blvd. The old State Police license test course is now a bike track that is used for crits. The group starts there.

RA...if you do the ride one really neat thing is the support car. They control traffic and all the support the team riders get. I'd like to do the ride just to experience a car blocking some nut from running me down.

Another thing in case you "Burghers" don't know they go through the Liberty "Tubes" (whatelse would a Pittsburgher call them)? For some reason there is a huge wind behind you and the speeds are 40 and up for most people.

If we are compatable riders I'd love to ride with someone and show them around. Tom Murphy's 12 years as Mayor went a long way in changing Pittsburgh from the number one most livable city to not even in the 10 fifty. The good news is with decreased population and vitually all shopping in the burbs the city has some great places to ride with pretty views and the whole 9 yards.

Why I said compatable is I tend to ride like nobody else does in terms of speeds. I climb like a 200 year old land turtle but I love hills and climb all day. I just don't give a crap if I get up a long steep hill three minutes sooner or not. I've been in highly competitive sales for 30 years and I don't need competition. When everyone else "digs deep" I downshift and often use my Blue Tooth to call a friend to make the mile or two go faster.

I should be able to ride a lot of the time...I'm on full disability/workman's comp and I won't be returning anytime in the near future.

Ride happy and safe! :banana:

Spectrum Bob
01-18-2006, 11:26 AM
CalfeeFly

That is where I took my drivers test – I heard they were racing there – my one and only crit was down in the zoo parking lot – it was a long time ago – when do they race on Washington Blvd?

CalfeeFly
01-18-2006, 12:31 PM
I believe it is Wednesday evenings every week starting ? If you are really interested it is easy for me to find out more since I have friends and guys I hang with that race there; around Lancaster (huge race country believe it or not); various local & state team members and the Trexlertown Velodrone racing guys.

Usually I'd be able to tell you with more confidence but I was in a car accident last July. One outcome is brain damage that has lessened certain brain functions along with some types of memory. Sorry. If you are into Google...do key words for T-Town, the Allegheny Racing Association (or something similar, the Washington Blvd track or just the steet name & bicycle etcetera. If you are fairly good at Google you should be able to track (pun intended...my corny humor is uneffected) down shedules and such.

Take care. If you are coming give me a shout. :bike:

manet
01-19-2006, 05:44 PM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e61/easterncaster/IMG_0239.jpg

Fixed
01-19-2006, 06:42 PM
bro that is m.p. i.m.h.o. bro cheers :beer:

Sandy
01-19-2006, 06:47 PM
To me a 37% hill looks like it is absolutely impossible.

Mission Impossible Sandy