PDA

View Full Version : Giro d'Italia stage 18 (spoilers!)

chengher87
05-23-2013, 10:04 AM
Cadel and Uran look to be fading a bit. Scarponi gaining time on both.

chengher87
05-23-2013, 10:13 AM
Whoa! Uran recovered miraculously on the second the half.

MattTuck
05-23-2013, 10:29 AM
The first time I watched an uphill time trial I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Now, I'm not so sure.

chengher87
05-23-2013, 11:43 AM
Unless Nibali implodes, I think he's got it. He may have gone full gas, but the rest of his teammates went pretty gingerly. They should have enough energy to drag Nibali over the mountains if need be and they might not have to if the Stelvio is cancelled.

jpw
05-23-2013, 12:01 PM
Nibali seems to have improved a little more than one might have expected for just one furtherl winter of training.

firerescuefin
05-23-2013, 12:38 PM
Nibali seems to have improved a little more than one might have expected for just one furtherl winter of training.

Really...has won the Vuelta...podium'd in the TDF last year, basically took on the entire Sky team by himself, and this years Giro parcours suits him perfectly.

jpw
05-23-2013, 12:47 PM
Really...has won the Vuelta...podium'd in the TDF last year, basically took on the entire Sky team by himself, and this years Giro parcours suits him perfectly.

and the opposition taken care of ;-)

firerescuefin
05-23-2013, 12:50 PM
and the opposition taken care of ;-)

To that I'd agree completely...warm/better weather...healthy Wiggins ....and Uran on a different team as the leader...different race.

chengher87
05-23-2013, 01:18 PM
Yeah, this year's Giro seemed prime for some fireworks with such a strong field. Although Cadel looked good, I didn't think he had it in him. Kind of reverted to wheel-sucking for a while (understandable though, since BMC decided to send it's A team to the ToC) and all the medium mountain stages that suit Cadel's style are behind them. Hesjedal and Wiggins dropped out. Basso didn't even start. So many teams don't have a true GC guy and the Colombia Coldeportes team has disappointed and may not even get a chance to ride at altitude if the two mountain stages are re-routed.

Even the sprinters have disappointed me a little bit. Degenkolb abandoned and Viviani has been less than stellar. I mean Cav has probably had a proper leadout for only one of his stage victories and was out of position a few times.

chengher87
05-23-2013, 01:22 PM

Well he may have been gifted that Vuelta. If Igor Anton hadn't crashed spectacularly.........

BumbleBeeDave
05-23-2013, 01:27 PM
. . . have indeed been removed according to VeloNews.

I cna hear Adny Hampsten muttering under his breath . . . "$@#$& wimps!"

:p

BBD

firerescuefin
05-23-2013, 01:30 PM
Well he may have been gifted that Vuelta. If Igor Anton hadn't crashed spectacularly.........

My point was that being right there in a grand tour is not new to him...and this was his targeted race for the year.

chengher87
05-23-2013, 01:37 PM
My point was that being right there in a grand tour is not new to him...and this was his targeted race for the year.

Oh I know, I was just being difficult :)

jpw
05-23-2013, 01:51 PM
Overall it's been a very uninteresting Giro. Even less interesting than last year's TdF. Sky got a lot of criticism for that, but Astana seems to be getting a free ride. Clearly there is an alliance of vested interests here, the race organisers, the wider Italian cycling media, the Italian cycling industry, et.c.

MattTuck
05-23-2013, 02:05 PM
Overall it's been a very uninteresting Giro. Even less interesting than last year's TdF. Sky got a lot of criticism for that, but Astana seems to be getting a free ride. Clearly there is an alliance of vested interests here, the race organisers, the wider Italian cycling media, the Italian cycling industry, et.c.

You think a memo is circulated before each stage saying, "Let Visconti win today." and the teams just fold like a cheap suit?

The amount of racing and excitement in the finishes has been great, I have thought. Much better than the TDF, where the peloton rarely allows a group to stay away.

As for the GC battle. It'll teach some riders a lesson about coming into the race too skinny with a compromised immune system.

CunegoFan
05-23-2013, 02:18 PM

The Giro has an excuse. The course was good but was neutered by the weather. The 2012 TdF has no such excuse; the course was bad from the beginning.

slidey
05-23-2013, 05:09 PM
Whoa! That's some scathing remark right there. I agree with most in that it isn't a fireworks packed Giro, but it isn't anywhere as boring as the Sky show last year in France! At least Nibali has been attacking from time-time.

chengher87
05-23-2013, 07:14 PM

Actually, Astana aren't doing quite as much as Sky. It's basically been Kangert and Nibali most of the time. And Kangert was able to attack and such, unlike Sky who basically formed a shell around Wiggins and never left. Nibali has done a lot of riding on his own and attacked with more panache.

As some people have said, the weather has limited the race a little. It has handicapped the climbers because they've less opportunity to attack. So riders can't really pull a De Gendt this year.