PDA

View Full Version : Replace this cable?

sfscott
05-22-2013, 10:22 PM
I was doing some brake adjustments following the installation of some new pads. While doing it, the brake cable ferule came off.

Before I could put a new one on, the cable ends began to fray below the bolt clamping the cable to the brake arm.

The cable is brand new, but do I need to replace it?

lhuerta
05-22-2013, 10:34 PM
Simply weave the cable back together by rolling/twisting your fingers in the direction of the weave and crimp the cable end back on. No need to replace.
Lou

neiltron
05-23-2013, 01:01 AM
You can also dip the tip of the cable in superglue. That will help hold everything together.

Ken Robb
05-23-2013, 04:18 AM
rubbing candle or bees wax on the end is another way to combat unraveling cable strands.

soulspinner
05-23-2013, 04:39 AM
rubbing candle or bees wax on the end is another way to combat unraveling cable strands.

Great tip, I learned something today and its only 538 am....

OldCrank
05-23-2013, 07:11 AM
and you have one or 2 recalcitrant wires, and you don't feel like replacing, make like a plumber and pull out your handy soldering iron and solder right up to the fray. Then cut. Go cheap on the solder or it may end up too fat.

godfrey1112000
05-23-2013, 07:14 AM
I realize it is below the bolt, so the internal condition of the cable should be fine,

I am not a skilled mechanic, so when I am at he LBS, when one cable goes they both go, $5-10 part to prevent a dnf on a long ride or even worse going down a mount and a brake cable failure with a sad ending

Shifter Cables about 2-3 times a year about every 4500 miles wear on a set of cables, usually the right is always worn, left shows very little wear

Brakes cables maybe every other year, since I have been riding in Colorado and Utah for the past few years I have been paying more attention to the brake pads, flatlanders going down mountains lean on brakes the first few days

Back to the original post, the recommendations are great, invest in those silver/color tips for the end of the cable in the future to prevent fraying