PDA

View Full Version : Hmmmm... (more wheel stuff)

ergott
12-05-2005, 09:21 AM
Just doing the math and found out the the combination of a Velocity OCR and American Classic rear hub will put more tension on the non drive side than the drive side!! The non drive side should have 111% of the the drive side tension (read, the rim is closer to the non drive flange). Without the offset the tension would be 78%. I just might have to build one up to see this for myself ;)
Just numbers.

PS It must be winter if I'm thinking about this stuff. :rolleyes:

marle
12-05-2005, 12:04 PM
Have you ever found a rim / hub combo with equal drive / non-drive tension?

ergott
12-05-2005, 12:17 PM
Have you ever found a rim / hub combo with equal drive / non-drive tension?

I did get me looking, but I haven't "dug in" just yet. I'm sure it's out there. THe only way it's going to happen is to have an off-center rim. Many hubs have the non drive flange between 18-19mm off center. That meens you need the non drive flange to be 26-27mm off center.

One consideration is the fact that if the non drive flang is too far to center you run into the problem of lateral stiffness. You could put the non drive symetrical to the drive side, but there isn't enough of an angle to support side loads hence, the compromise. The perfect solution is single speed where the hubs are symetrical and there is enough room to spread the flanges apart.

flydhest
12-05-2005, 12:29 PM
eric,

Would single speed be better than 135mm axles to build the equivalent of 130 wheels? Set the flanges symmetric, but push the dropouts out further . . .

ergott
12-05-2005, 01:17 PM
eric,

Would single speed be better than 135mm axles to build the equivalent of 130 wheels? Set the flanges symmetric, but push the dropouts out further . . .

135mm is better than 130mm. Single speed is the most ideal which is one more reason the Rohloff design is so good. It is a pain that there is no brifter version.