PDA

View Full Version : Seized retaining nut Campy Freehub

45K10
05-22-2013, 09:37 AM
Anyone have any tips for removing a stuck RH side retaining nut? I am trying to change out the freehub on my Eurus wheels but I am unable to remove the nut from the axle.

I soaked it in penetrating oil (PB Blaster) overnight but no luck in getting it off.

I know the axle threads are Al but I think the nut is steel. Can I put some heat to the nut or try to freeze it?

Tony T
05-22-2013, 09:57 AM
How long a handle is on the wrench? (Try to increase the leverage by slipping a pipe over the handle)

45K10
05-22-2013, 10:46 AM
I tried that and broke the 5mm allen wrench

Ken Robb
05-22-2013, 12:00 PM
If you broke an L-shaped 5mm Allen wrench you might have success using a 3/8" drive allen socket. If your ratchet handle still doesn't provide enough leverage you can try a breaker bar or a 1/2 drive handle with a 3/8 to 1/2" adapter. OTOH you already have a pipe to try in conjunction with your ratchet handle.

My last idea would be to try driving the 5mm socket with an impact wrench borrowed from your favorite auto repair shop.

Liberace
05-22-2013, 12:20 PM
Anyone have any tips for removing a stuck RH side retaining nut? I am trying to change out the freehub on my Eurus wheels but I am unable to remove the nut from the axle.

I soaked it in penetrating oil (PB Blaster) overnight but no luck in getting it off.

I know the axle threads are Al but I think the nut is steel. Can I put some heat to the nut or try to freeze it?

Is it reverse threaded?

thwart
05-22-2013, 12:41 PM
Is it reverse threaded?

Yes, it is.

I've made the same mistake...

zmudshark
05-22-2013, 12:41 PM
You may want to RTFM:

http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/documenti/en/7225312_RECORD_Hubs_0407.pdf

Edit: Tom was more polite than I

45K10
05-22-2013, 03:05 PM
I got it off and yes I know it has left-handed threads.

I used a long 5mm allen head socket and 17mm socket both attached to breaker bars and I was able to get it to come free.

It does not look like the threads are corroded, like I originally thought. The threads appears to have some kind white locking compound applied to them.

Thanks for the help

Tony T
05-22-2013, 05:01 PM
It does not look like the threads are corroded, like I originally thought. The threads appears to have some kind white locking compound applied to them.

Sound like it may be corrosion. In any event, clean-up the threads and apply grease on the re-install.

oldpotatoe
05-23-2013, 07:29 AM

Oversized aluminum axle? Left threaded..comes off clockwise.