PDA

View Full Version : Indoor Training Options - Opinions Please

CT Rider
12-05-2005, 06:55 AM
I'm trying to sort my way through some options for indoor training. I presently have a Litespeed Classic with new (less than 1000 miles) Campy Record Components. I have a Serotta Fierte IT on order and plan to transfer the Campy Record Group & my Mavic wheelset over to the Serotta. My present indoor training consists of a Performance Mag Trainer doing Spinervals workouts about 5 times/week.

I am considering the following options:
1) Use the new Serotta on the existing mag trainer.
2) Keep the Litespeed Frame, buy some mid-range components & wheels and use this on the mag trainer.
3) Buy a Lemond RevMaster or a Cycleops trainer.
4) I have a couple of old 531 bikes from the early 80's which I could fix up and use on the existing mag trainer.

One of the prime reasons for considering options other than the Serotta for training may or may not be valid - to reduce the wear and tear (mileage) on the bike/components. I figure I would save about 1500 miles or so of use each year on the Serotta/Campy Group by using an alternative to the Serotta. I know the Serotta frame will last "forever" so I guess my concern is based mostly on wear on the drivetrain & wheelset.

First, am I being a bonehead to worry about the extra yearly mileage from indoor training? If I am not, which option would you choose?

Thanks for any input!
Stan

Tom
12-05-2005, 07:20 AM
or put something over it. Two years on the trainer and I'm going to have to rebuild the Trek's front hub and headset because they're frozen from my sweat. I think the bottom bracket's going. This morning I got into a nice squeak-squeak-squeak thing and tranced out.

keno
12-05-2005, 07:45 AM
I bought a used ti Lemond frame with the right dimensions and built it up for the rollers because I didn't want to damage the Ottrott or the Nimble wheels if I fall. Its fit numbers are quite close to those of the Ottrott. The trainer, though, is another story. BTW, now that I'm more comfortable with the rollers, I will use the Ottrott once in a while as it has the Power Tap hub on it.

On the trainer I use the Ottrott and drape a towel over the handlebars and stem end of the TT to keep sweat more or less under control. I find that it's my head and hands that seem to be the major sweat exit points. I'll also use a headband, and I suppose I could wear some wrist bands like the tennis players do to control the flow. Otherwise, I use the bike that puts me in the position I paid so much money for.

Question: how much component wear is there in the drivetrain when all of that road dirt and grit are absent? I'm guessing that it's the abrasives in the works that causes the greater part of any deterioration.

keno

CT Rider
12-05-2005, 08:30 AM
or put something over it. Two years on the trainer and I'm going to have to rebuild the Trek's front hub and headset because they're frozen from my sweat.

I have one of those terry-cloth "bike-thongs" that seems to work well.

I'm guessing that it's the abrasives in the works that causes the greater part of any deterioration.

Good point. There probably would be minimal wear if the drivetrain is kept clean (as it should be inside) and the chain well lubricated.

MartyE
12-05-2005, 10:40 AM
The terrycloth bike thong thingy doesn't work too well
for rollers as I prefer to have as many hand positions as
possible.
What has worked for me in the past was pipe insulation over the top
tube and wipe the bike down after a workout.

I'd put a pair of training wheels on (no not that kind) the Ottrott
and not worry too much about falling and damaging the frame.

Marty

CT Rider
12-07-2005, 06:33 AM
Well I decided on the following option:

Keep the Litespeed Classic Frame, build it up with Campy Veloce components and a set of used Campy Vento wheels I won on eBAY. As I see it this way 1) I have a bike to ride in rougher weather, 2) the bike has already been professionally fit and 3) I feel the workout on a "real" bike more realistic training than on a stationary bike such as the RevMaster.

manet
12-07-2005, 08:35 AM
and I suppose I could wear some wrist bands like the tennis players do to control the flow.
keno

careful there, as they may impede the I.V..