PDA

View Full Version : Bike Build Question

Bikerist
05-21-2013, 06:51 PM
I'm doing my first build and don't have my cassette yet so I can't size my chain.

Can I install/connect the rear derailer cable without a chain or do I need to install the chain first?

Thanks

Peter P.
05-21-2013, 07:00 PM
Yes, you can connect the rear derailleur cable without the chain installed.

The method is to adjust the outer limit screw on the derailleur so the centerline of the pulleys line up with the outside face of the small cog.

The reason is, this setting will permit you a little screw adjustment to fine tune the gears and permit some latitude in cable tension adjustment.

Louis
05-21-2013, 07:07 PM
Yes, you can connect the rear derailleur cable without the chain installed.

+1

You can do the rough install and the fine-tuning once you have a chain. Just be sure not to cut the cable too short, so if you need to give yourself a bit more slack you don't end up too close to the pinch point.

Bikerist
05-21-2013, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the replies.

After I posted, I realized I could simply use the wheel/cassette from another bike to size the chain. Duh!

However, in the process of looking at my other road bike to copy the build, I found this.

Yikes!
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2808/8771196871_817674f8d9_b.jpg

Surprisingly it still shifts.

tmf
05-21-2013, 07:33 PM
Ack! Barnacles!!

Fishbike
05-21-2013, 07:34 PM
Nice macro photography

Louis
05-21-2013, 07:46 PM
However, in the process of looking at my other road bike to copy the build, I found this.

Dude, you have to clean up the BB area every now and then.

If you don't feel like disconnecting the cables:

While hand-pedaling in the work stand shift into the largest gear & cog front and back (assuming you don't have a funky r-der that pulls to the small cogs and you have enough chain slack to do it) to put the cables in as much tension as you can. Stop pedaling, then shift back toward the smaller ring & cog (as far as the r-der and f-der will allow, which won't be a whole lot).

That will give you some cable slack at the BB, and allow you to remove the Allen-head fastener and slide the BB cable guide forward and away from the BB. If you like you can take snips and remove the little plastic humps that prevent the cable from coming out of the channels - if everything is set up properly they don't really serve a purpose.

Once the guide is out you can then clean it all up.

bikinchris
05-21-2013, 09:28 PM
Stainless steel bolts and just a tiny bit of oil, sir.

kohlboto
05-21-2013, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the replies.

After I posted, I realized I could simply use the wheel/cassette from another bike to size the chain. Duh!

Yikes!
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2808/8771196871_817674f8d9_b.jpg

Surprisingly it still shifts.

this reminds me of images from the Titanic wreckage...

FlashUNC
05-21-2013, 09:34 PM
You sweat battery acid, don't you?

parris
05-21-2013, 09:48 PM
You mean that's NOT normal???

roydyates
05-21-2013, 09:52 PM
C'mon ... Tell us the old bike still shifts smoothly and precisely. :)

Bikerist
05-21-2013, 10:05 PM
C'mon ... Tell us the old bike still shifts smoothly and precisely. :)

I will confess that I have not ridden this bike since November. It did shift then.

The front shifted fine (relative term) tonight but the rear cable ***** the bed when I tried to 3 shift to the big cog.

Louis
05-21-2013, 10:14 PM
Nice macro photography

BTW, what sort of lens / dpi / whatever does one need to get this down and dirty?

(I don't know much about photography, digital or analog, but for the sake of the question I'll assume we're talking digital.)

Bikerist
05-21-2013, 10:17 PM
BTW, what sort of lens / dpi / whatever does one need to get this down and dirty?

(I don't know much about photography, digital or analog, but for the sake of the question I'll assume we're talking digital.)

I have a cannon G12 but in my experience damn near any digital camera will take great macro shots if there is good light.

soulspinner
05-22-2013, 05:08 AM
Its just a fleshwound..........