PDA

View Full Version : Sad Times

Ray
12-05-2005, 04:10 AM
Haven't been around much lately. I've been hanging out with and tending to my 88 year old Dad in his last days. He died Saturday morning. Very old and worn out - he lived life per Len's signature line and didn't leave anything on the table. He was a great guy, as good a friend as I've ever had (as well as being a great Dad), I talked to him nearly every day, and I'm gonna miss him more than I can begin to explain. He was also my greatest cheerleader, blowing my everyday accomplishments up into the great acts of the last century. That was always nice to hear, as unrealistic as it was. I'm all out of parents now. It's wierd being the oldest generation in my family all of a sudden.

One slightly humorous note. We share the surname of a very well known framebuilder around these parts. In the obit's list of names yesterday, he was erroniously listed as Richard Sachs, instead of Arthur Sachs. You're still out there right E-Richie?

Anyway, this one got it right:

http://obituaries.roanoke.com/obits/schd?seq_num=1&spId=0&id=43803

-Ray

Kevin
12-05-2005, 05:19 AM
I am sorry to hear about your loss. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Kevin

William
12-05-2005, 05:20 AM
My condolences Ray. Good memories are the best thing a person can leave to those who love them.

Very recently, my stepfather lost both of his parents within a week of each other. They were both in their 90's and it was very much their time. He's torn between being sad that they have passed, but also being grateful that he was able have them around during so much of his adult life. The nicest thing is to sit and listen to him reminisce and laugh about all the good and funny experiences he had had with them during his life.

William

BumbleBeeDave
12-05-2005, 06:48 AM
. . . to those expressing their sympathy and hope that the good memories far outweigh the sad. My own parents are very old and in very bad health. It could happen next year--or tomorrow. You never know. In any event, my thoughts will be with you today as you deal with some difficult days of your own.

BBDave

Fixed
12-05-2005, 06:55 AM
bro I am sorry there is nothing like a dad mine passed 6 years ago I miss him everyday cheers :beer:

Kevan
12-05-2005, 07:15 AM
Thank you for reinforcing just how terrific my own dad is.

Gothard
12-05-2005, 07:20 AM
Sorry Ray,
I fear the day this happens to me. I try to have only good times with my parents.
Glad he lived the fullest life.

RABikes2
12-05-2005, 07:59 AM
My condolences Ray. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. As you deal with the difficult days to follow, remember the wonderful memories you have of your Dad. They will bring many smiles to you; your Dad would like that.

RA

93legendti
12-05-2005, 08:20 AM
My condolences Ray. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. As you deal with the difficult days to follow, remember the wonderful memories you have of your Dad. They will bring many smiles to you; your Dad would like that.

RA
Very well said. I am so sorry for your loss.

weisan
12-05-2005, 08:24 AM
Ray-pal...I am touched by what you wrote. Please know you are in my prayers.

ergott
12-05-2005, 08:31 AM
You have my sincere condolences. It is good to hear that he lived a full life and it sounds like you loved and appreciated him while he was with you instead of when it was too late. It makes me appreciate the family I have while I still have them around.

Climb01742
12-05-2005, 09:16 AM
after my mom passed away, i was also struck by not having a parent to talk to anymore. it's one of the true constants in our lives, from our earliest days...mom and dad are always there to talk. losing it does leave an emptiness. what has helped me, and perhaps you too, ray, is to speak even more often with your kids. i remember the comfort my folks once gave me, and now i think of giving that feeling to my daughter. i still miss my folks, but being the giver of that comfort helps. my thoughts are with you, ray.

Cadence230
12-05-2005, 09:32 AM
Regards. Mike

Skrawny
12-05-2005, 09:39 AM
I wanted to add my condolences as well.
-s

MartyE
12-05-2005, 10:01 AM
Ray,

my deepest condolences to you.

Marty

musgravecycles
12-05-2005, 10:14 AM
Ray,

My condolences go out to you and yours.

I, like Kevan, want to thank you for reminding me how truly blessed I am to have such a wonderful family.

george
12-05-2005, 10:24 AM
My condolences to you and your family. You must keep in mind that he is in a better place now watching us all from up above.

djg
12-05-2005, 10:32 AM
I am sorry for your loss. It's a hard and complicated thing to lose one's dad. I miss my own every day. I cannot pretend to know your situation, but you have my sympathy. I hope that you and your family are managing.

Dan

Serpico
12-05-2005, 10:51 AM
Sorry for you loss. Your father sounds like a classy guy.

Tom Byrnes
12-05-2005, 11:01 AM
Ray,

I am very sorry to hear about your loss. Your father sounds like he was a great guy. My condolences to you and your family.

Tom

manet
12-05-2005, 11:10 AM
reading the obit, for a split second i thought the arrangements were
done by oakley.

http://www.mystudios.com/manet/1880/manet_crystal.jpg

davids
12-05-2005, 12:10 PM
Ray,

I'm so sorry to hear this. It's been just over 4 years since my father dies, and I think of him every day (just like fixed!) I'll say the Kaddish for him.

Take care.

Ray
12-05-2005, 12:56 PM
Got back from the memorial service to see all of these very kind responses. Said the Kaddish and the Rabbi gave a great eulogy of a truly wonderful, if cantankerous, man. It was attended by so many people who touched and were touched by him - so very very moving. While I know he's in a better place (or at least removed from what was becoming a not very nice place for him in his Brokedown Palace of a body), I feel a huge void. Like my center of gravity has shifted (hmmm - does this call for a new bike frame?).

Sitting around with my brother and sister and our kids after the service, I had a different feeling, knowing we're now IT - the old wise ones. Or at least as wise as it gets. Feels like a great responsibility. But I know my Dad went through the same thing when he lost his mother (his father, also named Raymond, died when he was very young) and he rose to the occasion in a big way, so I trust that we will also.

Thanks so much, again, for the kind wishes. It's nice to have virtual friends (only a few of whom I've met in person), in addition to all those in the physical realm.

-Ray

shinomaster
12-06-2005, 03:15 AM
I'm sorry Ray...I love my dad too...

Sandy
12-06-2005, 05:03 AM
I think that you were already one of the "old wise ones". I am not sure about the old part, but I am about the wise part. I always thought that you demonstrated a wise, insightful, and genuinely helpful manner on the forum. You will do just fine.

Sorry for your loss. Most fortunately, unlike so many, he appeared to have led a long and rich life.

Sandy

Dekonick
12-06-2005, 10:47 AM
Sorry for your loss. Sounds like your dad was a good father and friend. I hope my son remembers me the way you do your dad (hopefully a long time from now...)

Keith A
12-06-2005, 11:35 AM
Ray,

I too am so sorry to hear of your loss, but take heart in the fact that it sounded as though you had a great relationship and took advantage of the time that you had together.

I am fortunate to still have both my parents alive and well, but during the Thanksgiving holiday I visited with one of my aunts who is 83 and has had a series of strokes that have robbed her of most of her sight and her ability to think, communicate or function normally. It was so hard to see her like this because she was always such a strong person and I have many fond memories of her. It will be a sad day for her to leave us, and that day is most likely near, but in many ways her passing will be a good thing. She is tired and seems ready for this to end.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

PBWrench
12-06-2005, 01:57 PM
May the memory of your Dad serve as a blessing for you and your family.

gasman
12-06-2005, 09:42 PM
My condolences.

I hope my kids say the same about me when it is my time. he sounds like a great guy with a wonderful son.

amg
12-07-2005, 04:42 AM
Ray,

My condolences to you and your family.

Antonio

Elefantino
12-07-2005, 06:12 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, Ray.

Like Fixed and others, I think of my dad, gone 4 years now, every day. And I only think of the good times, like when he bought me my first "real" bike (a Bianchi).

Please take care of you, too.

Mike

Len J
12-07-2005, 08:29 AM
The pain and loss will clearly be filled with outstanding memories that will be with you always.

He's still there, he'sjust inside you, and your kids.

Peace brother.

Len

ClutchCargo
12-07-2005, 09:15 AM
my condolences also. sounds like your dad was a terrific parent and great friend to you. it will get better with time as you are able to fill the void with good memories. speak of him often to your kids, nephews or nieces, etc.

L84dinr
12-07-2005, 09:55 AM
Ray,

My condolonces to you and your family on the passing of your Dad. Your memories of him will help fill the void.

Peace and Grace to you and your family thru Our Lord God,

Raymond

Ray
12-07-2005, 11:06 AM
Just able to get back online after a couple of days away and saw all of the additional kind notes of sympathy. Thank you all again, VERY MUCH. It's really heartwarming.

-Ray