PDA

View Full Version : Woman Brags on Twitter About Hitting Cyclist; Police Also Use Twitter

kurto
05-21-2013, 11:43 AM
Thankfully everyone is ok, and this jerk will get punished.

http://jalopnik.com/woman-brags-about-hitting-cyclist-discovers-police-als-509059331

MattTuck
05-21-2013, 11:49 AM
Thankfully, in the ven diagram of life the circles for 'dumb' and 'criminal' have pretty good overlap.

EDS
05-21-2013, 11:51 AM
Amazing how truly stupid some people are.

AngryScientist
05-21-2013, 11:53 AM
hating cyclists is one thing, but having that much disregard for another human life is unacceptable.

Aaron O
05-21-2013, 11:55 AM
The entire "I don't pay road tax" thing really infuriates me, but I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here. This also happened in England, and I have no idea how road funding works there.

druptight
05-21-2013, 11:57 AM
Thankfully, in the ven diagram of life the circles for 'dumb' and 'criminal' have pretty good overlap.

^This is awesome.

Fishbike
05-21-2013, 11:58 AM
It's another symptom of how social media helps promote narcissitic, arrogant, look-at-me, I-have-no-empathy behavior. More people need to sit down and talk to each other. And more people need to get off their butts and maybe go ride a bike.

chengher87
05-21-2013, 12:01 PM
There is no road tax in the UK, so......yeah, she's just a terrible driver and a worse human being (if she can be called that).

raygunner
05-21-2013, 12:03 PM
Initially I thought this thread title was something from Fark!

slidey
05-21-2013, 12:03 PM
Pretty sure she tweeted whilst driving. :eek:

Dumbass! (http://youtu.be/EyEEP2mKogg)

67-59
05-21-2013, 12:08 PM

Yep. Emma sounds like a great candidate to win a Darwin Award someday.

Aaron O
05-21-2013, 12:31 PM
It's another symptom of how social media helps promote narcissitic, arrogant, look-at-me, I-have-no-empathy behavior. More people need to sit down and talk to each other. And more people need to get off their butts and maybe go ride a bike.
The anonymity definitely seems to have some frightening consequences for some. We all know how it encourages extremist statements and aggressive stances we'd likely never take with one another in person, and most of us understand the difference of when and where we can get away with it. Like anything else, there are always some people who allow it to justify, or encourage, their stupidity/insanity.

The problem with the bee hive is that it's a numbers game...if .01% of the population is completely insane, and you can reach 100,000 people easily, you can easily find 10 other complete lunatics who believe as you do and will help justify your insanity.

neiltron
05-21-2013, 01:23 PM
http://theknowledgemarket.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/internetdickwad1.jpg

TPetsch
05-21-2013, 01:32 PM
It's this type of person -and the tweaked way they think- that frightens me the most.

Dallez
05-21-2013, 02:04 PM
http://theknowledgemarket.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/internetdickwad1.jpg

I think that formula is pretty accurate, but I just don't get it.

I am constantly puzzled why would someone change their real persona on the internet for some e-love or notoriety as if it doesn't really count against their integrity? How you act and behave as a reflection of yourself includes your keystrokes.

And before everyone thinks I some Jurassic retro grouch, I'm 34.

Aaron O
05-21-2013, 02:13 PM
I think that formula is pretty accurate, but I just don't get it.

I am constantly puzzled why would someone change their real persona on the internet for some e-love or notoriety as if it doesn't really count against their integrity? How you act and behave as a reflection of yourself includes your keystrokes.

And before everyone thinks I some Jurassic retro grouch, I'm 34.

I don't think it's a change in persona so much as highlighting certain aspects while lowering the diplomacy level. I'm the same guy on line as off line, but I'm much more prone to temper spats and stupidity on line. It's sort of like when you're drinking - you're the same person, just more so.

tuscanyswe
05-21-2013, 02:40 PM
I dont understand that anyone can have such little regard for another human. How can you leave somebody you hit without checking that they are okay? Its really unbelievable!! Okay if you panic and have remorse etc later on but she just thinks its nothing other than a nuisance. ffs ppl like this is scary for real!

MattTuck
05-21-2013, 02:46 PM
I'll just point out that the current environment is one in which news travels around the world instantaneously and is shared with others almost as quickly. This can lead us to believe that these things are much more common than they really are.

I'm not saying that it isn't bad, but I think that this kind of behavior isn't as common as is suggested by the number of stories we see about stuff like this. It is called availability bias, and is a big reason why people fear sharks despite falling coconuts being a bigger killer.

rwsaunders
05-23-2013, 07:39 AM
Apparently Emma is worried about her career as an accountant....

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/emma-way-apologises-for-bloodycyclists-tweet--37420/

krismac23
05-23-2013, 07:43 AM
Stupid knows no bounds.

Marz
05-23-2013, 07:47 AM

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/emma-way-apologises-for-bloodycyclists-tweet--37420/

Serves her right. A person of very bad character. What an a***hole.

In her apology she says "if I..." when previously she had tweeted "I definitely..."

Aaron O
05-23-2013, 07:56 AM
Y'know, I have little to no sympathy for her, but it is a little scary how one bad day and one bad decision can alter your life path permanently these days. Once you make a mistake, it's immortalized on the internet with no chance of parole.

avalonracing
05-23-2013, 08:19 AM

Probably not because of the assault but because of the "Road Tax" line.
It sucks for her but they should probably make a good example of her and make a lot of noise about the incident and the penalties.

Gummee
05-23-2013, 08:34 AM
I'll just point out that the current environment is one in which news travels around the world instantaneously and is shared with others almost as quickly. This can lead us to believe that these things are much more common than they really are.

I'm not saying that it isn't bad, but I think that this kind of behavior isn't as common as is suggested by the number of stories we see about stuff like this. It is called availability bias, and is a big reason why people fear sharks despite falling coconuts being a bigger killer.
As badly as I'm treated on the roads here in the DC area, I'll disagree with this.

I haven't been hit, but that's more a matter of where I'm riding rather than drivers being courteous.

M

Bikerist
05-23-2013, 08:45 AM
.... This can lead us to believe that these things are much more common than they really are......

Ding, Ding, Ding! We have our winner!

Although no one wants to hear this because most of us are drama whores!

kurto
05-23-2013, 08:45 AM
Y'know, I have little to no sympathy for her, but it is a little scary how one bad day and one bad decision can alter your life path permanently these days. Once you make a mistake, it's immortalized on the internet with no chance of parole.

But this "bad decision" could have cost a person his life, and from the other things I've read about Emma, it seems completely consistent with her character. She deserves all she's getting right now. I hope this inspires her to change, and maybe when she starts showing real remorse for what she did, not just for how it's currently affecting her, she can be forgiven and move on with her life. Yes, this will stick with her for a while, but deservedly so.

Mark McM
05-23-2013, 09:42 AM

The bad decision that got everyone's attention was the (remorseless) tweet - but that was actually the second bad decision that day. The first bad decision was to drive away after knowing that they hit someone with their car. Given the tone of her 'apology', I suspect that these are just a sampling of her bad decisions.

avalonracing
05-23-2013, 09:46 AM
As badly as I'm treated on the roads here in the DC area, I'll disagree with this.

I haven't been hit, but that's more a matter of where I'm riding rather than drivers being courteous.

M

Ding ding ding! We have a winner on this one.

It all depends where you live. I live in the suburbs west of Baltimore and over the 20 years that I've been road riding I cannot even begin to count the issues that I (and my friends) have had with drivers who have intentionally (or unintentionally) risked our lives.

Aaron O
05-23-2013, 10:10 AM
Folks - I'm not suggesting this is unfair to her...it's merely an observation that in the net age, you have to really be careful. She seems like a world class turd.

Gummee
05-23-2013, 10:13 AM
Ding ding ding! We have a winner on this one.

It all depends where you live. I live in the suburbs west of Baltimore and over the 20 years that I've been road riding I cannot even begin to count the issues that I (and my friends) have had with drivers who have intentionally (or unintentionally) risked our lives.

I 'discuss' this same stuff in a few threads on ADVRider. Its amazing to me the level of 'hatred' (for lack of a better word) for cyclists from MC riders. The predominate feeling from non-cyclists is 'get out of my way you spandex clad [sexual preference slur deleted]!'

Like I'M the greatest cause of your traffic woes! Other drivers impact your drive MUCH much more than I ever will, but yet, *I* get it taken out on me.

Probably because there's no consequences. You can screw with a cyclist with little to no repercussions. Even IF the cops are around, they typically either do little or even blame the cyclist!

Its a sad state of affairs that's gotten worse rather than better over the years.

M

chengher87
05-23-2013, 10:23 AM
It's mostly a symptom of a "fast-paced" society where people "need" to get where they are going instead of enjoying the ride. I ride smaller roads that should a cyclist be on the road, a car will have to enter the adjacent lane to pass the cyclist. But, it's such a small and secluded road that it's rare that two cars will ever pass each other, much less, where I am riding. It happens though and one time I was climbing a hill (short and not that steep) and was nearly at the top, if it were me, I would have waited until I tried to pass a cyclist because the hill makes it hard to see if a car is coming up on the opposite lane. Well, on this occasion, the car was already speeding and saw me from a ways away but decided not to slow down, passed me and didn't see the car coming on the opposite side, nearly hit both the other car and myself, honked the horn and flipped us both off, even though he was clearly at fault. The other car kindly stopped to ask me if I was alright and kindly went on her merry way. When I got to the end of the road, the guy was still stuck at a four-way crossing. As if the 5 extra seconds he tried to save by speeding past me outweighed the minute he spent at the intersection.

shovelhd
05-23-2013, 10:47 AM
That happens to me too often on the rural roads around me. The numbnut tries to pass right before a blind curve. I take the lane.

vqdriver
05-23-2013, 10:52 AM
“I didn’t realise it would ever escalate to this.”

this is why she apologized: because her online anonymity was compromised and is now carrying real world consequences. funny how consequences effect behavior.

azrider
05-23-2013, 10:52 AM
another blatant example of someone showing remorse just because she/they got caught

disgusting.

shovelhd
05-23-2013, 10:58 AM
another blatant example of someone showing remorse just because she/they got caught

disgusting.

+1

Arrogant "remorse"

67-59
05-23-2013, 02:27 PM
As others have stated, this was WAY more than just one bad decision - it was a series of bad decisions. And anyone with an iota of common sense can see that her only "remorse" is due to the fact that she might lose her job. If she truly felt bad for what she did, her "apology" would have started and ended with remorse for endangering another human being. Instead, it's nothing more than a self-serving afterthought.

Aaron O
05-23-2013, 02:49 PM
She's young...hopefully she'll eventually figure out that she's not the only important person in the world.

SamIAm
05-23-2013, 02:54 PM
That has to be the worst "apology" I have seen in quite some time. Her biggest regret was the tweet.

chengher87
05-23-2013, 03:05 PM
That has to be the worst "apology" I have seen in quite some time. Her biggest regret was the tweet.

I'd put it at 3. Behind Tiger Wood's "apology" and this number one of all time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Z3HBBUJTTFE#t=191s

Rueda Tropical
05-23-2013, 03:28 PM
Folks - I'm not suggesting this is unfair to her...it's merely an observation that in the net age, you have to really be careful. She seems like a world class turd.

Yes, if you are engaging in illegal and dangerous behavior, best not to share it online with the world. Not only will everyone know you are a complete douche but you might also get busted.

gone
05-23-2013, 04:30 PM
Interesting how her story keeps changing:

Version One (twitter): "I definitely knocked a cyclist off his bike earlier. I have the right of way - he doesn't even pay road tax"
Version Two (press interview): "I didn't think I'd hit hit him. If I had known I hit him I definitely would have stopped"
Version Three (BBC interview): "He was on my side of the road and he hit me"

Quotes from this interview (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-22636230):

"I would like to say my side of the story so maybe they can see where I'm coming from here," she told BBC Radio Norfolk.

"I don't really see I was in the wrong. If I had been in a bad accident I would have stopped”

"He [Mr Hockley] and another cyclist were coming down the hill at quite a speed.

"He came on to my side of the road. I pulled to the left as quickly as I could. He was right in front me.

"I felt his handlebar just clip my wing mirror and my initial reaction was to brake, stop and look in the mirror.

"He did wobble slightly but he was upright, he was fine.

"I didn't just leave the scene, because there wasn't a scene."

So you've all got it wrong, she's the victim.

BurritoGuru
05-23-2013, 08:04 PM
Aubrey Cohen wrote the article "Driver brags on Twitter about hitting cyclist" (http://blog.sfgate.com/hottopics/2013/05/22/driver-brags-on-twitter-about-hitting-cyclist/)and gives advice on how to be a better criminal at the risk of trying to be humorous.

She writes "Here’s a memo to drivers who hate cyclists: If you hit one, don’t Tweet about it."

Wish Aubrey the best of luck in being a more responsible writer.

SamIAm
05-23-2013, 08:34 PM
I'd put it at 3. Behind Tiger Wood's "apology" and this number one of all time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Z3HBBUJTTFE#t=191s

Ha ha. That was awesome, I had totally forgotten about Leaf, for good reason.

coylifut
05-23-2013, 10:12 PM
he's currently in jail. addicted to prescription painkillers. quite tragic. a life wasted.

uno-speedo
05-24-2013, 12:27 AM
Car owners pay road tax in the UK, and it is a common grudge that cyclists don't pay road tax, which is the weakest excuse I've ever heard because the majority probably do own a car :mad:

tuxbailey
05-24-2013, 08:50 AM
She is kind of cute :banana::p:rolleyes:

rileystylee
05-24-2013, 09:52 AM
She is kind of cute :banana::p:rolleyes:

How can a lying, arrogant, self centred beatch be cute?:eek:

tuxbailey
05-24-2013, 09:53 AM

It was a joke :)

Tony T
05-24-2013, 09:55 AM
She's young...hopefully she'll eventually figure out that she's not the only important person in the world.

How young is the driving age in the UK? In the US, you have to be an adult.

There's now a YouTube song parody: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ka2yhNQjLg

Rueda Tropical
05-24-2013, 10:49 AM
Car owners pay road tax in the UK, and it is a common grudge that cyclists don't pay road tax, which is the weakest excuse I've ever heard because the majority probably do own a car :mad:

UK drivers do not pay a road tax. That is a bit of "truthiness" used by ignorant self-entitled twits to justify anti-social behavior. Every tax payer in the UK car owner or not pays for the maintenance of roads.

For starters there's the tiresome fact that, as every cyclist knows, road tax doesn't exist – you pay vehicle excise duty for your car, and road maintenance is funded from centralised taxes. Yet, the canard of "road tax" as an annual toll for using roads is rolled out time and again by motorists annoyed at the mere presence of bikes on the road.

uno-speedo
05-24-2013, 01:02 PM
UK drivers do not pay a road tax. That is a bit of "truthiness" used by ignorant self-entitled twits to justify anti-social behavior. Every tax payer in the UK car owner or not pays for the maintenance of roads.

Good point.

To thoroughly define the term everyone pays towards the up keep (or lack of) of the roads in the UK through other taxes.

http://ipayroadtax.com/

bluesea
05-24-2013, 03:29 PM

Many are, unfortunately. I'm sure she has other virtues. :banana: