PDA

View Full Version : Pegoretti-ride report

sjbraun
12-04-2005, 08:05 PM
I've had the new Marcelo for just over a month now and I thought I'd take a minute to share my riding impressions. As anyone who follows his forum knows, Pegoretti frames are highly regarded, not just by owners, (Have you ever met someone who said his new ride wasn't the greatest ever?) but by builders such as the esteemed e-RICHIE.
In a nutshell, pretty much everything that's been said about Pegs is true of mine. Aesthetically, the welds and paint are flawless. The black that underlies the frame shines beautifully in the bright Arizona sunlight in which I ride. People always ask about the pics of Dario so carefully painted on the top and downtubes. Maybe my friends are just being polite, but the consensus seems to be that visually, this is a very striking frame. Oh, and I especially like the head badge.
Now, on to the ride. This bike is just sublime. It climbs with such ease, yet built with a hodgepodge of Campy parts, (mostly Centaur triple,) its no light weight. It weighs just over 20 pounds in a size 58 frame.
Descending is just as much fun as climbing. Pick a line, its yours; want to alter your line midway through a sweeping downhill curve, no problem. You just tell the bike where you want to go and that's where it goes. I've only taken it up our local mountain once. I found that my maximum speed was a good 5 mph faster on the Marcelo-and I wasn't trying to go fast.
The frame responds to my pedal input in a way that keeps making me smile. It goes every bit as fast as I can manage. I can accelerate at will. There is no wasted pedal effort with this frame. At the same time, this frame is so comfortable that in stereotypical fashion, I kept checking my rear tire for flats in the first few weeks. Even with my Michelin Pro2Race tires inflated to 120 pounds, the ride is smooth.
I must extend a thank you to the Serotta crew for allowing a competitor's frames to be discussed so freely. And to those of you who responded to my inquiries during the last few months, I must say thank you as well.

Fixed
12-04-2005, 08:12 PM
bro sounds like a bike ad i.m.h.o. cheers :beer: