PDA

View Full Version : Best Shipper for Wheels?

gforce
05-20-2013, 10:02 AM
I had one bad experience with shipping a set of wheels using USPS. They totally
lost the wheels in handling!?! Luckily I insured them but it was a hassle.

What is the preferred carrier for shipping wheels among you guys for safety
and cost. I have also used UPS and Fed Ex without any incidents.

dave thompson
05-20-2013, 10:36 AM
FedEx.

cmg
05-20-2013, 11:01 AM
i just shipped with USPS. hope they don't lose my wheels. is there a way to ship with FEDEX and get a discount?

gforce
05-20-2013, 11:04 AM
Yes - you have to have an account.

dave thompson
05-20-2013, 11:11 AM
i just shipped with USPS. hope they don't lose my wheels. is there a way to ship with FEDEX and get a discount?

Yes, go to FedEx.com and set up an account. When you ship through your account, you'll get the discount, the ability to print shipping labels and then you can drop off your package at anywhere (Kinkos, Mailbox stores, etc.) that ships FedEx.

cmg
05-20-2013, 11:25 AM
Yes, go to FedEx.com and set up an account. When you ship through your account, you'll get the discount, the ability to print shipping labels and then you can drop off your package at anywhere (Kinkos, Mailbox stores, etc.) that ships FedEx.

cool, i'll give it a try.

snowcrash19
05-20-2013, 01:59 PM
I've shipped dozens of wheels. Honestly UPS is the worst for broken boxes. Had some punctured carbon wheels, some run over by a fork lift, etc. They all have their weaknesses but across the board UPS has been the weakest for me.

Just make sure to insure and take LOTS of photos if they get damaged.

biker72
05-20-2013, 04:35 PM
I've shipped just 2 sets of wheels via FedEx. No complaints.

vqdriver
05-20-2013, 04:50 PM
We need a pace line FedEx acct

shovelhd
05-20-2013, 05:23 PM
We need a pace line FedEx acct

Cool. We can use your credit card.

gforce
05-20-2013, 05:31 PM
I ended up using Fedex. With my account, a very well packaged set of
wheels cost about $21.00 to ship. Added insurance ran $15.00 - so not too bad.

cash05458
05-20-2013, 06:52 PM
CMG...me too and looking forward to getting them...hopefully!

But I can only say as I work for USPS...in ten years in my office we have never lost a single package...actually, now that I think about it I do remember one lost package in ten years...some cd or something that had no tracking number, but that was it...I am sure Fed EX do a fine job as well...

Drewmanchew
05-20-2013, 08:33 PM
bikeflights.com is a good way to ship

DRietz
05-20-2013, 10:09 PM
For wheelsets and frames, I always use USPS insured. They never lose my big packages.

retrogrouchy
05-20-2013, 10:15 PM
I've shipped dozens of wheels. Honestly UPS is the worst for broken boxes. Had some punctured carbon wheels, some run over by a fork lift, etc. They all have their weaknesses but across the board UPS has been the weakest for me.

Just make sure to insure and take LOTS of photos if they get damaged.

I think this is true regardless of what one might be shipping. Although USPS Parcel Post can really do a number on contents sometimes, so I just about never send send anything via PP, unless it is bomb-proof.