PDA

View Full Version : Thanks NBC Sports

PSC
05-20-2013, 12:27 AM
Went to watch the the last 2 nights of Tour of California on NBC Sports, when they had it reserved for cycling (9pm PST). Instead of watching it live because they always have shows run over there time limit, I tape the late night show so I can see the whole race. Well hockey commentary ran over the cycling show and pretty much screwed over any one who tape the scheduled show. F***K You NBC sports.

slidey
05-20-2013, 12:35 AM
Guess NBC can't stand Itchy and Scratchy's commentary either.

In case you want to catch the stream in good quality head over here (http://cyclingtorrents.nl)

dd74
05-20-2013, 12:40 AM
Pro cycling needs a bad boy, much like Tony Stewart in NASCAR, to make it popular enough for the major networks to give a damn.

I have hope for Sagan to be that guy. Teejay is too Opie-like for the role.

dd74
05-20-2013, 12:47 AM
In case you want to catch the stream in good quality head over here (http://cyclingtorrents.nl)
Yeah, but that's the problem. I don't do torrents because they are known to infect computers. Also, half the time, the online providers of bike races don't work on my Mac; you either have to download a whole bunch of software and plugins, which I refuse to do, to see the race - that is if you can see it at all do to scheduling, etc.

I guess the simple fact is cycling isn't basketball, baseball, NASCAR/INDY or golf. As enthusiasts of the sport, we all have to simply deal with it.

slidey
05-20-2013, 01:14 AM
I have a Mac too, and I can understand not wanting to download torrents in general. However, cycling torrents is a strictly moderated, user participation based forum where the onus on sharing bogus torrents is minimal. The forum is a bunch of do-gooder enthusiasts really, and in the past couple of years I've downloaded a lot of stuff from the site without any issues whatsoever. I'm not saying that things can't go wrong, just that they haven't gone wrong with me...and extending the logic of the fringe sport that cycling is, who'd bother encoding viruses in such a low-impact torrent.

Yeah, but that's the problem. I don't do torrents because they are known to infect computers. Also, half the time, the online providers of bike races don't work on my Mac; you either have to download a whole bunch of software and plugins, which I refuse to do, to see the race - that is if you can see it at all do to scheduling, etc.

I guess the simple fact is cycling isn't basketball, baseball, NASCAR/INDY or golf. As enthusiasts of the sport, we all have to simply deal with it.

branflakes
05-20-2013, 06:41 AM
i don't subscribe to any kind of cable or satellite package, and haven't for about eight years or so. for awhile we had nbc sports as a secondary feed to our local affiliate over the air. i enjoyed it, and have at times tried to convince myself to get cable/satellite so i could watch it again. it's reaffirming that i made the right decision when i hear things like this thread. i'll stick with bootleg eurosport threads for as long we can get them. i'm just concerned about the options if/when the feeds go away.

merlincustom1
05-20-2013, 06:41 AM
Pro cycling needs a bad boy, much like Tony Stewart in NASCAR, to make it popular enough for the major networks to give a damn.

I have hope for Sagan to be that guy. Teejay is too Opie-like for the role.

A bad boy won't do it. Cycling is a 20th tier sport. Forget the networks.

FlashUNC
05-20-2013, 07:05 AM
More races need to follow the model of the Strade Bianche. Live stream, unfettered, worldwide.

Walter
05-20-2013, 07:09 AM
Went to watch the the last 2 nights of Tour of California on NBC Sports, when they had it reserved for cycling (9pm PST). Instead of watching it live because they always have shows run over there time limit, I tape the late night show so I can see the whole race. Well hockey commentary ran over the cycling show and pretty much screwed over any one who tape the scheduled show. F***K You NBC sports.

The Stanley Cup has far more eyes on it than does cycling. The networks pay to show this and other sports. The TOC probably pays to have the race shown. Given that it is not surprising which event got the scheduling priority.

Instead...I say thank you NBCSN for letting me see every stage of the race.

fuzzalow
05-20-2013, 07:10 AM
Agree about forget the networks as far as coverage of pro cycling. I'd even go one step further and say forget cycling as even 3rd tier sport as far as interest and commercial potential for American television. Akin to track & field.

Bob Costas was interviewed the other night on Piers Morgan/CNN. Asked about a certain TdF doping cheat. Costas' interesting side comment was that American sports viewers never had any interest in cycling. The entire ratings and commercial bonanza was crafted, driven and perpetuated by the the viewer entranced by the miracle story and larger than life celebrity. (Not Costas' actual wording, editorial bent here is my own).

Mass market consumer and with it goes mass market media. Of which neither is interested one whit in cycling.

oldpotatoe
05-20-2013, 07:25 AM

Well, geee..it's all about money isn't it? I get a giggle out of those that become twisted when cycling race coverage, a sport about 25th on the list of numbers of people in the US that are interested in it, gets cut. Even NHL, recognized as '4th' on the list behind NFL, NBA and MLB has many, MANY more viewers than a small race in CA.

Find alternative sources of coverage.

roydyates
05-20-2013, 07:32 AM
Here in the east, i dozed off during the hockey wrapup but when i woke up, Phil and Paul were on. Seems like they ran the full cycling show but started late.

chrispino
05-20-2013, 08:42 AM
I've totally given up on watching cycling on network television

Use this site: http://cyclingtorrents.nl
It will be your best friend

EDS
05-20-2013, 08:53 AM
More races need to follow the model of the Strade Bianche. Live stream, unfettered, worldwide.

I thought the Amgen tour tracker was great - quality video, useful graphics and info. Listen to phil/paul or not - you have enough info you don't need it. I wish similar coverage was available for all races.

TTigg
05-20-2013, 09:57 AM
Yep kind of bummed also, good thing was I was actually home and was able to tape the extra run over (which went into wrestling) so I was able to catch it. Overtime is one thing, and kind of understood, but having almost 1hr of "Post Match conversations" was not good programming at all!

4Rings6Stars
05-20-2013, 10:13 AM
I like NBC Sports for the very reason you despise them...they actually show some hockey! All of the other networks are focused on baseball, basketball and football...

(let's go Bruins!!)

David Kirk
05-20-2013, 10:33 AM
They have a feedback button on their website - I used it to express how I felt about their not holding to the published schedule.

I doubt they will change anything but it seemed worth it to send them a note.

I understand that ***** happens and things can run over but they aren't just running over on occasion.

Dave

jmoore
05-20-2013, 11:14 AM
There has to be a way for the DVR's to know when something is running over and auto-adjust the recording to compensate. Maybe I'm simplifying, but it seems relatively straightforward for there to be some sort of indicator sent at the end of one show and the start of another that the DVR could look for.

They have a feedback button on their website - I used it to express how I felt about their not holding to the published schedule.

I doubt they will change anything but it seemed worth it to send them a note.

I understand that ***** happens and things can run over but they aren't just running over on occasion.

Dave

firerescuefin
05-20-2013, 11:26 AM
There has to be a way for the DVR's to know when something is running over and auto-adjust the recording to compensate. Maybe I'm simplifying, but it seems relatively straightforward for there to be some sort of indicator sent at the end of one show and the start of another that the DVR could look for.

After getting burned on my share of cycling events...I schedule them to run 120 minutes over. Never disappointed.

thenewguy11
05-20-2013, 11:29 AM
I'm with firerescuefin - i always add on at least 90 minutes to any cycling show on the DVR. I'd imagine that the network could probably have some type of marker for when a show is running over, but that presupposes they want you DVR'ing the program to begin with. I'm sure they're rather you just watched straight through and caught each and every commercial.

dave thompson
05-20-2013, 02:10 PM
Often when programming to record cycling or F1 events, my DirecTV DVR will cue me that the program may run long and asks if I would like to add an extension.

bambam
05-20-2013, 02:11 PM
Yea i add 15 minutes to an hour over as well on the dvr.

kurto
05-20-2013, 02:24 PM

Calm down, bro. Set your DVR to extend the recording. NBC Sport, from what I've seen, still shows the TOC in its entirety; they just start and finish late.

zap
05-20-2013, 04:07 PM
Often when programming to record cycling or F1 events, my DirecTV DVR will cue me that the program may run long and asks if I would like to add an extension.

God damn rain effing with f1 coverage......I need to talk to god 'bout that. ;)

Keith A
05-20-2013, 04:13 PM
Pro cycling needs a bad boy...I thought we had too many bad boys right now...LA and company :rolleyes:

avalonracing
05-20-2013, 05:36 PM
And tv/radio commentary on professional team sports is always so enlightening. I can only imagine the important hockey observations that were being bestowed.

William
05-20-2013, 05:47 PM
I hate when cycling gets preempted.....except when it's for the Hanson's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJkHm2WtSsk)....maybe.:D

William

cash05458
05-20-2013, 06:20 PM
yeah, cycling torrents nl is pretty great...I think those torrents would be fairly clean as well tho I don't know about the mac stuff...great group of folks there as well...

I paid NBC for a couple of years to watch online races...I had no problem paying them...there is noone in my area who even has them ect...last year, they stopped letting you pay to watch online (tho they put the online coverage for those who already have them in a tv package! ?)...that really ticked me off...the whole idea was to get folks like me to harrass my local providers to use them ect...so I am certainly done with NBC foreever, online or wherever...

Walter
05-20-2013, 06:24 PM
What happened is pretty common. Whenever a show follows a major live event that runs over...the following event gets bumped.

When I see that a show I want to record follows something like a ball game, horse race when bad weather, etc., it is easy to just add more time onto the recording window. It ain't rocket science...

bambam
05-21-2013, 09:04 AM
I looked last night and it appears they are re-airing stage 7 and 8 . I think its 2 am wednesday EST.

Elefantino
05-21-2013, 08:10 PM
I thought the Amgen tour tracker was great - quality video, useful graphics and info. Listen to phil/paul or not - you have enough info you don't need it. I wish similar coverage was available for all races.
Not.

I's gone beyond them being caricatures. They're just ... awful.

Yes, I know that P&P have been the voices, but everyone but Tony Bennett eventually goes over the hill. They have become the Larry King of cycling coverage.

Thanks or all the great times, guys. Enjoy retirement. Me? I'll be awaiting David Harmon's return for the Tour.

jlwdm
05-21-2013, 09:45 PM
I like to watch cycling on TV. But the TOC and the hockey are a toss up to me - not interested in either. Did not watch or record any of the TOC.

Jeff

dd74
05-22-2013, 02:51 AM
They have become the Larry King of cycling coverage.
LOL! Classic. Now if only Howard Cosell and Don Meredith did (could do) pro cycling, well, the full circle would then be realized.