PDA

View Full Version : cyclocross fitting

Ottrott
12-15-2003, 02:55 PM
I'm thinking of getting a cyclocross frame for riding on trails -- if you will, a cyclocross "poser." Do I use the same fitting as I have from my regular roadbike or do I need to be specially fit for such a frame?

O

Dick Little
12-15-2003, 03:20 PM
I generally hear two trains of thought on this one. Some say size down 2 cm's from your road bike because the higher bb will decrease the standover. Others say try to get as close to your road setup as possible. Personally, I follow the second line of thinking. BB's generally aren't too much higher, and sizing down 2cm's is going to leave you with an awfully short TT. I wouldn't want to run too long a stem on a cross bike. Bear in mind, this is from a race setup.

Bruce K
12-15-2003, 04:55 PM
My foirst cross bike was 2cm smaller than my road bike.

This worked OK for a while, but eventually I dumoed it and got one that fits similar to my road bike.

Be careful when selecting a cross frame and check the geomtry carefully. Some manufacturewrs seem to have longer top tubes than on their road frames necessitating smaller stems.

Take a look at the www. cyclocrossworld.com website as they are having year end close-outs on selected frames.

BK

pbbob
12-15-2003, 06:43 PM
do a search on bike.com for adam myerson's thoughts on cross sizing and fit.

dbrk
12-15-2003, 08:33 PM
Unless you are going to race, don't size down your cross bike and try not to think of it as a road bike 'cause, well, it's not. A few years back there was this silly notion that 'cross bikes make good all-arounders. This is not so. Want an all-arounder? Think about a Rivendell Atlantis, now _that_ is an excellent trails bike without the foibles of 'cross frame.

Cross bikes don't need the higher bb that some builders put on them. BBs were higher BackThen (I was there...) because toe clips dragged when you dismounted and ran, and that would be bad. This stuff about clearance is nonsense. So a lot of companies are building 'cross bikes without actually having thought through it (surprise, surprise). We all defer to the usual standards of idiocy because they are the usual standards (jerk inspired comment). The higher bb is a terrible idea and size down onlyonly if you race and even then, don't.

If you really want to ride a cross bike on trails, not race, that's all fine but do yerself a favor and get one that fits like your road bike and find one with a "low" bb. Why? With bigger tires the bike will naturally be taller. You'd only size down if you were jumping on and off in an anerobic seizure (known as 'cross racing).

dbrk
who thinks most 'cross bike builders should listen to RichardSachs and do exactly what he does for design, no matter what material they choose...

DfCas
12-15-2003, 08:57 PM
I like a cross bike low and long-running a long stem in sketchy off-road situations is a recipe for a header.A high BB gains you nothing but instability,makes remounts harder and handling worse.I choose a bike at least as long as my road bike,and maybe even longer.

I think front-center is the critical number as it tells you where your bars (and therefore weight) are in relation to your front axle.

In sketchy terrain it is best to ride between the wheels,not out in front.

Almost everybody else on earth says to buy a smaller bike,so I am definitely abnormal,as usual...

Dan

gt6267a
12-16-2003, 07:57 PM
dbrk :

in another thread, you and the jerk were both less than complemtary about the IF geometry. this was in relation to their road bike.

i am wondering what you think of their cross geometry. both from the perspective as a race bike AND off road vehicle.

thanks and regards,
k

Balf
12-22-2003, 03:41 PM
I have recently bought a cross bike for racing as my mountain bike simpl won't go any faster.

As discussed most of the people I consulted suggested sizing down. In the end I acquired a bike that is the same length as my road bike. I've used a short angled stem to bring the bars as high as I can so I feel on control over the rough stuff.

The bike is an aluminium Alan, much lighter than my steel road frame. I doubt it will be any use as an all rounder as I don' think it will last long so I'll use it selectively. First race in January so will let you know.