PDA

View Full Version : Back on the bike

Ryun
05-19-2013, 04:58 PM
Well at least back on the trainer.
After 6 titanium screws and a plate, the arm is healing well but still not cleared for road riding or activity without the cast. Still it feels good to pedal.
A month of doing nothing but looking at the bike has me feeling fat. Hopping on the trainer even just for an hour feels awesome.

Got some new hardware in the garage to match what is in my arm so hopefully June will be fun even if I am stuck in the back of the group.

All this metal should make traveling internationally fun as I explain why my arm is setting the detector off.

Anyway just never take riding for granted. You'll miss it when you are stuck inside for 8 weeks

chrispino
05-19-2013, 05:02 PM
One hell of a scar!

Best of luck healing up 100% and getting back on the bike

chrispino
05-19-2013, 05:03 PM
Also, titanium usually won't set off the alarms at the airport in my experience

spamjoshua
05-19-2013, 05:03 PM
Not jealous of the new arm hardware at all.

Happy healing.

merlinmurph
05-19-2013, 05:05 PM
Wow, that's ugly stuff.
Good luck coming back.
Enjoy your ride (on the trainer),
Murph

cmg
05-19-2013, 05:10 PM
another WOW.. Best wishes and continue healing.

Ryun
05-19-2013, 05:18 PM
And just in case you didnt catch the before
Here is what happens when you go down hard in a fast group sprint:
Oddly enough since I didnt break the small one also and since there were no scuffs on my hands, the doctor is pretty sure my bone broke from contact with the bike. Turns out 7000 series aluminum is stronger than my radius

54ny77
05-19-2013, 05:26 PM
you'll be back!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_yicluje2el0/TNQfWZ8mRzI/AAAAAAAABtQ/NshbfH6lHag/s1600/terminator_10.jpg

firerescuefin
05-19-2013, 05:36 PM
Tell me you can take that cast off and wash your arm after a spin on the trainer...hardware there for good? Shouldn't have any problems at the airport.

Be Well!

akelman
05-19-2013, 05:43 PM
Glad you're back on the bike, Ryun.

Ryun
05-19-2013, 05:45 PM
Tell me you can take that cast off and wash your arm after a spin on the trainer...hardware there for good? Shouldn't have any problems at the airport.

Be Well!

Yeah I have a 3/4 plastic formed splint I can take on and off. It cleans up pretty nice with no plaster funk

crownjewelwl
05-19-2013, 06:27 PM
You're lucky...my cast got really funky

mnoble485
05-19-2013, 06:45 PM
My two Ti knees raise eyebrows at the airport. I just tell them ahead of time and they change their procedure a little. Thankfully nothing too draconian.

Mike

FlashUNC
05-19-2013, 07:08 PM
I've got a lot more metal up at my elbow from my spill. Three plates, 16 or so screws. Doesn't set off the detector. Though I do have a note from the doc I always travel with just to be safe.

Docs mentioned any long-term effects? I think you're lucky it didn't happen at the joint.

And scars are always awesome.

Ryun
05-19-2013, 07:12 PM
No expected long term effects. As you mentioned I missed the joints so my arm is just stronger
I already am doing some rehab to get the range of motion back.
This is the more exciting injury but the damage to my quads from the impact are taking longer to heal

FlashUNC
05-19-2013, 07:14 PM
No expected long term effects. As you mentioned I missed the joints so my arm is just stronger
I already am doing some rehab to get the range of motion back.
This is the more exciting injury but the damage to my quads from the impact are taking longer to heal

Always does. I was cleared to ride six weeks after my break. Arm couldn't support a ton of weight from atrophy and I looked like Fernando Escartin slumped over the bike.

But surgery and recovery just destroyed my cardiovascular and leg muscle fitness. I was back at square one in June when everyone else was flying.

Fiertetimestwo
05-19-2013, 07:15 PM
I have a titanium plate and 8 or so screws holding my right clavicle together- for the last 7 1/2 years. There is quite a lot of hardware in there and I have never had a problem at an Airport.