PDA

View Full Version : Centerlock v 6-bolt

FastforaSlowGuy
05-19-2013, 04:45 PM
I'm something of a newbie to MTB, so apologies if this is a stupid question. Is there an advantage (weight, performance, other) to centerlock rotor mounts over 6-bolt?

c-record
05-19-2013, 07:31 PM
6 bolt is actually lighter. Some of my weight-weenie racer friends won't run centerlock because of that. Centerlock installs like a cassette-super easy. More limited in centerlock hubs though-DT/Shimano etc. Others exist but 6 bolt is much more common.

FWIW Shimano rotors are sweet. Consistently more true and they stay that way better than most others. Ice tech and new Shimano hydros are the bees knees.

thirdgenbird
05-19-2013, 08:40 PM
I saw an article on some new dt wheels and they were no longer center lock. It may only be shimano soon.

fungusamungus33
05-20-2013, 08:50 AM
I've also found center lock rotors to be less durable because of the use of rivets that can become loose and cause the braking surface of the rotor to become sloppy with no option for tightening it back up...

I like to put all of the punctuation at the end to save time typing??!! That's my excuse for that awesome run on sentence!

HenryA
05-20-2013, 09:03 AM
My vote is for centerlock. I'd maybe think differently if Shimano brake parts weren't so good, but they are. Current Shimano disc brake stuff is amazingly excellent. Centerlock goes on easy and flat, no distortion and does not loosen in use.

xjoex
05-20-2013, 10:03 AM
I am a big fan of centerlock. Easy on/easy off. Neither one is a "so much better" than the other. My new hard tail came with 6 bolt and I won't change it.

I have found if you leave 6 bolt discs on for a year or two, ride in mud and other conditions you should expect to remove the bolts with a dremel...

Cheers,
-Joe