PDA

View Full Version : Stem Asthetics

Paulburn
05-19-2013, 12:02 PM
I am considering a like new used frame that has a 1.5 degree drop so in my book that is essentially a level top tube in a 60cm st frame. My current bikes have slanting top tubes and tall head tubes to accomodate my short torso long legs. thus to get the bars on the same level it requires a stem with a positive rise or somewhat close to the same seat level a 0 degree stem.

Most of the level top tube bikes that I see have the stem flipped down which looks fine. I know this is silly bike vanity on my part but I am looking for input as to: whether level top tubes require or at least look best with negative/flipped stems?

TIA

EricEstlund
05-19-2013, 12:49 PM
Given equivalent fit and a reasonable spacer stack, to my eye level top tube bikes look best with a stem level or slightly angled (a couple of degrees). For sloping top tubes I like stems to be level or within a few degrees of the top tube slope. In most cases I prefer not to have stem drop. Flipping a stem irrespective of head tube angle sometimes looks a little awkward to me. A dropped stem with a tall spacer height even more so.

Really it's a matter of fit- all the stem angle aesthetics go out the window of the bike doesn't fit or if the rider looks (is) poorly situated on it

Paulburn
05-19-2013, 01:08 PM
Eric

thanks for your reply. Realistically my choices are stems with -6 degrees, zero ie 90degrees, or flipping the six to get a +6 degree.

This is one of those good deal frames but if you end up not really appreciating how a bike looks athetically it isnt such a great deal.

reggiebaseball
05-19-2013, 01:10 PM
all bikes ride fine with any angle stem, which you know.

When riding your bike you cannot tell the stem angle (Except that your bars are in the right spot).

From the side view, with a level top tube, anything more than a -6 stem looks "erect"

here is -6 see:
http://nycsportspics.com/moots/meatballsmarcelo1.jpg