PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest option for shipping frames these days?

dawgie
05-19-2013, 06:15 AM
I sold a frame recently and was shocked at how much it cost to ship -- about double the cost from the last time I shipped one. It cost $78 to ship a frame & fork from North Carolina to California on FedEx. In the past, I had found FedEx to be the least expensive option for shipping bikes and frames, but I'm wondering if I need to do some shopping around.

In the past, I had shipped a frame to Maryland for less than $20, Seattle for less than $40, and various prices for points in between -- all using FedEx. Whenever I checked with UPS and USPS, they were always higher.

Has FedEx simply raised prices more in line with other shippers, or have they all gone up that much? Will anyone ship a frame & fork for about $40 any more?

binxnyrwarrsoul
05-19-2013, 06:17 AM
Dunno about the price increase for shipping something big like a bike, but shipping charges across the board seem to have gone up. The usual $6-7 for USPS Priority (small package/tyvek envelope) from the east coast to the west coast is now $9-10+.

tuscanyswe
05-19-2013, 06:18 AM
I would think USPS is alot less than that considering they charge about 75 to ship a frame to sweden from US.

Never used them for domestic shipping but im assuming its cheaper than international..

tmf
05-19-2013, 06:53 AM
I think shipping rates have gone up across the board. As mentioned, Priority Mail rates have gone up. For International Priority Small Box fixed rate, the price jumped from about $17 to around $26.

For any domestic shipping over $15, I usually use FedEx ground/home delivery. For under $15, I usually use priority mail flat rate boxes.

4Rings6Stars
05-19-2013, 06:53 AM
USPS Parcel Post (or whatever they call it now) is the cheapest for shipping a frame, assuming you can get it to fit in a box that is less than 108" girth + length. For anything around 58cm or smaller, this should be no issue. I have actually fit complete bikes (~54-56cm) in boxes this small, but you need to be creative. Once you go over that magic 108", the price skyrockets.

I shipped a 57cm frameset + parts from Boston to LA last week and I think before insurance it was about $35.

FedEx is typically the cheapest for larger boxes. UPS is a joke.

avalonracing
05-19-2013, 07:52 AM
I shipped from Maryland to CA this week via UPS. It was $50. Shipped weight was 15lbs.
At least I know that it will make it there with UPS. I cannot say the same for USPS.

oldpotatoe
05-19-2013, 08:28 AM
I shipped from Maryland to CA this week via UPS. It was $50. Shipped weight was 15lbs.
At least I know that it will make it there with UPS. I cannot say the same for USPS.

Well, at least with 'click and ship', USPS, you will know where it was lost.

Just had another letter lost(with a payment check), 3 this year..all sent in the USA.

gomango
05-19-2013, 08:45 AM
I think shipping rates have gone up across the board. As mentioned, Priority Mail rates have gone up. For International Priority Small Box fixed rate, the price jumped from about $17 to around $26.

For any domestic shipping over $15, I usually use FedEx ground/home delivery. For under $15, I usually use priority mail flat rate boxes.

I'm a Fedex fan.

Opened an account last year, as I knew I would be trimming the fleet around here.

I've sold thirteen bicycles/framesets since last August and shipped six of them.

Not only were their prices reasonable, all of the shipments arrived intact and on time.

I also like the flexibility of having my own account, as I ended up buying bicycles for my boys last winter. I just tossed the shipping charges on my account to take advantage of my discount.

Ahneida Ride
05-19-2013, 09:44 AM
Our nations private central bank is creating 85 billion frn a month by typing
them into a computer spreadsheet.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-03-20/fed-keeps-85-billion-pace-of-bond-buying-as-job-market-improves.html

That is over 1 Trillion extra frns per year inserted into the economy.

Keep on pouring water into the Sports Drink and eventually you need
to drink a gallon to acquire the electrolytes of a 16 oz.

Ahneida Ride
05-19-2013, 09:46 AM
I believe that Fex Ex (which is as about as federal as the federal reserve)
offers discounts for commercial customers with accounts.

pbarry
05-19-2013, 09:56 AM
Our nations private central bank is creating 85 billion frn a month by typing
them into a computer spreadsheet.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-03-20/fed-keeps-85-billion-pace-of-bond-buying-as-job-market-improves.html

That is over 1 Trillion extra frns per year inserted into the economy.

Keep on pouring water into the Sports Drink and eventually you need
to drink a gallon to acquire the electrolytes of a 16 oz.

Where's the shipping information? :confused:

victoryfactory
05-19-2013, 10:06 AM

That is because large boxes shipped by UPS and FedEx ground go by
dimensional weight, not actual weight!
Dim wt is:
LxWxH / 166
so a box that is say, 10"x 29"x36" is
10,440 / 166 or 63 lbs even if it weighs 15 lbs!
And DON'T FORGET TO INSURE!

Yo!

Ahneida Ride
05-19-2013, 10:20 AM
Where's the shipping information? :confused:

This explains why the prices are increasing. :)

victoryfactory
05-19-2013, 10:21 AM
I believe that Fex Ex (which is as about as federal as the federal reserve)
offers discounts for commercial customers with accounts.

Correct. All commercial shippers get volume discounts. They can get as
deep as 50% or more. It's impossible for small companies to compete
with the Amazon/ LL Bean/ Zappos of the world on shipping.
They also have a clever new system where they UPS some stuff to local
post offices and let the mail carriers finish the deliveries.
Everyone likes free shipping but not every company can do it.

drinkslinger
05-19-2013, 10:22 AM
USPS Parcel Post (or whatever they call it now) is the cheapest for shipping a frame, assuming you can get it to fit in a box that is less than 108" girth + length. For anything around 58cm or smaller, this should be no issue. I have actually fit complete bikes (~54-56cm) in boxes this small, but you need to be creative. Once you go over that magic 108", the price skyrockets.

I shipped a 57cm frameset + parts from Boston to LA last week and I think before insurance it was about $35.

FedEx is typically the cheapest for larger boxes. UPS is a joke.

100%. USPS Parcel post is your cheapest option. It does have a tracking # as well.
UPS/FEDEX have gotten too expensive. They want small and heavy. A buddy of mine (UPS driver) said this: UPS doesn't care how heavy, just how much room it takes up in the truck. Even though a bike box is relatively light, they'll ding you for size all the time.

texbike
05-19-2013, 11:05 AM
I've shipped a couple of frames recently and a forum member turned me on to USPS for shipping them. From Texas to Vermont and Texas to California, it was $40ish to ship a frame. The catch - the box has to have a combined girth and length measurement of less than 108".

Texbike

bluesea
05-19-2013, 11:29 AM
Had two frames shipped to me about a year ago, USPS Priority for $103-105. USPS Priority seems to charge the same rate across the continent.

alancw3
05-19-2013, 11:54 AM
based on my experience i would never again use ups to ship a bike or frame. fedex is clearly better suited to ship frames or bikes.

TPetsch
05-19-2013, 12:49 PM
if you want cheap ship it greyhound:

http://www.shipgreyhound.com/

Pete Mckeon
05-19-2013, 12:57 PM
for shipping bikes to vacations. I still use them. The only exception is if I fly South west airlines, I take it with me for cost is only $50 each way. Fed Ex ground picks up at house and on return picks up at departing hotel. I use a TRICO case and it cost from one coast to the nxt abouy $85. I have set up s personal account and it is some what less costly and done via phone or online

I sold a frame recently and was shocked at how much it cost to ship -- about double the cost from the last time I shipped one. It cost $78 to ship a frame & fork from North Carolina to California on FedEx. In the past, I had found FedEx to be the least expensive option for shipping bikes and frames, but I'm wondering if I need to do some shopping around.

In the past, I had shipped a frame to Maryland for less than $20, Seattle for less than $40, and various prices for points in between -- all using FedEx. Whenever I checked with UPS and USPS, they were always higher.

Has FedEx simply raised prices more in line with other shippers, or have they all gone up that much? Will anyone ship a frame & fork for about $40 any more?

bluesea
05-19-2013, 01:07 PM
for shipping bikes to vacations. I still use them. The only exception is if I fly South west airlines, I take it with me for cost is only $50 each way. Fed Ex ground picks up at house and on return picks up at departing hotel. I use a TRICO case and it cost from one coast to the nxt abouy $85. I have set up s personal account and it is some what less costly and done via phone or online

That's the direction I'm going for vacations. The thought of TSA repacking an Iron Case brings nightmares. Bicycle damage on airline flights are not uncommon these days.

dawgie
05-19-2013, 06:27 PM
What do you mean by girth? Is that simply the width or the length of tape wrapped around the box?

chrispino
05-19-2013, 06:31 PM
As others have said already, USPS is usually the cheapest

Stop by your local shop and grab an old cardboard box they are tossing out
They often have foam to wrap the frame with too

texbike
05-19-2013, 06:46 PM
What do you mean by girth? Is that simply the width or the length of tape wrapped around the box?

Yes. Take a tape and wrap it around the box top to bottom (this takes the height and width of the box into consideration). Add the length of the box to the girth number. For the best USPS rate it needs to be less than 108".

Texbike

Chris
05-19-2013, 07:30 PM
I just got back from Fed Ex. I'm shipping my bike from OK to NJ. $141! That sucked. It's cheaper to fly but when I figure in the hassle of transporting the fam, luggage and the bike to the airport and needing a bigger rental car it's probably a wash.

retrogrouchy
05-19-2013, 10:50 PM
Yes. Take a tape and wrap it around the box top to bottom (this takes the height and width of the box into consideration). Add the length of the box to the girth number. For the best USPS rate it needs to be less than 108".

Texbike

108" is the all-important number, and not only with USPS. Stay below that, which you can usually do for a frameset up to about 60-61 cm c-t, and you will at least get the best possible rate for shipping frames. (It's not impossible on slightly larger ones, typically, but it gets way tougher to do).

Also, I have purchased super-strong frame boxes in the past from Waterford's supplier in Illinois. Ask for "Waterford's Export Box without any logos" and you will get a great double-walled box that is under 108". In quantity, they used to be as cheap as $6 each, but that is FOB the box-maker's location, and that was several years ago. The single-box price was at least double that. Of course, I can't recall the supplier's name. Something like "Illinois Corrugated Box Co." iirc. Shipping can more than double the cost of your boxes, so keep that in mind. (They have to go by truck). I think the best price break was at a quantity of 50 boxes, but they have a long shelf life and will protect a frame and fork extremely well, so they can be a good investment, in my opinion.... If you aren't anywhere near Illinois, there may be a box supplier in your area that can do a similar box?

Just to review, that 108" is 2xW + 2xH + Length. Measure your box, and be prepared to defend that size measurement. FedeX and even USPS will sometimes 'round each dimension up' to the nearest full inch when measuring your box, which can push you over 108 if you are close. Don't fall for that scam....

For things like rims, etc., it is important to stay under 66" or they get you with the 'balloon charge.' After 108" the next slam is usually at 120 or 130" but it varies some by carrier. Tandems are a bee-otch to ship these days....

victoryfactory
05-20-2013, 01:09 AM
Some good shipping info above…
And please don't fall for the "I shipped my bike UPS/ FedEx for $30.
comments that you sometimes see. Those are " Trail Magic" and
usually the result of some uninformed clerk not knowing the 108"
rules and charging for actual weight. It still happens a lot but you can't
count on it.
VF

PS: Did I mention? ALWAYS INSURE!!!

51mondays
05-20-2013, 02:07 AM
try shipping stuff to Australia (to me). now that's pricey. these discount shipping companies seem ok though. Shipnex etc. cheaper and they use Fedex/UPS anyway. No probs so far.

dawgie
05-20-2013, 02:37 PM
Well, I measured the two bike boxes that I have been saving in the garage, and they are both well over 108" when adding girth to the length (about 114-116"). So it looks like I'll either have to pick up a smaller box somewhere or cut mine down to size. The frame I need to ship is a 57 cm, so it should fit in box smaller than the ones I have on hand.

Thanks for the tip about the magic number of 108. I should be able to work around that.

retrogrouchy
05-20-2013, 10:23 PM
Update:

The info. for Waterford's frame box supplier is as follows (found it....):

L & M Corrugated Container Corp.
Zion, Illinois
(847) 951-5000

Bradley Fuller was the guy I worked with.
bfuller@LMContainer.com

As you were.... :banana:

dawgie
06-05-2013, 07:32 PM
Fwiw, I shipped another large box today with a Yakima truck rack, and it cost $50 from NC to TX. The box about half the size of a bike box but weighed 46 lb. my conclusion is that FedEx fees have gone way up

Aaron O
06-06-2013, 06:46 AM
I sold a few things on eBay last month - shipped by USPS Priority mail, which is advertised as tracked, 3 day delivery. USPS boffed 3 of 4 items. When I tried tracking, it was useless and a USPS rep told me it's "courtesy scanning, not tracking." I spent hours on the phone with service reps - none of hem helped at all. I tried the escalation process - couldn't speak with a person and got form mail a week later.

One item showed up 3 weeks later, after I refunded money.

Never again with USPS.

victoryfactory
06-06-2013, 07:25 AM
Well, I measured the two bike boxes that I have been saving in the garage, and they are both well over 108" when adding girth to the length (about 114-116"). So it looks like I'll either have to pick up a smaller box somewhere or cut mine down to size. The frame I need to ship is a 57 cm, so it should fit in box smaller than the ones I have on hand.

Thanks for the tip about the magic number of 108. I should be able to work around that.

A little clarification on the 108" "rule"....
With UPS It's a bit more complicated, currently:

Up to 5184 Cubic inches - Box ships at actual weight.

Over 5184 Cubic inches - Box ships at Dim weight which is LxWxH / 166 (see my post above) or actual weight whichever is higher.

Except if the box is:
Over 130" Length plus girth (This is what you have to watch for with bikes!)
goes as Automatic min. 90 lbs no matter what it weighs PLUS a $55 Large Package surcharge!!!! That is where you get KILLED.

Finally, the maximum size box for UPS.FEDEX is 165" length plus girth.
(measure around the box and add length)

The 108" "rule" is a carryover from parcel post days It was the max size for USPS.

sorry, but the shipping rules are very complicated and few people really understand them.
It's a struggle to keep up with all the changes and it's even harder when large companies
who get super discounts are all over the place on shipping costs and even
offer free shipping built into the product price.
All the stuff above is out of the 2013 Official UPS rate book and does not mean
that your shipper uses it or even knows about it.

Finally for frame boxes, if the second longest side of any box is over 30"
they ad an $8.50 large package charge! Not added if your box is over 130"
and already gets the $55. surcharge.

I AM NOT making this up!

whew

sorry for the insanity, but I do this stuff at work

VF

ryker
06-06-2013, 11:07 AM
Same headache. Just when I think I've got it figured out a vendor has a special rate arrangement that changes everything.

VulcanVillain
06-11-2013, 11:16 PM
So basically saying I should stick to Craigslist to sell my old frameset. Got it.

Pelican
06-12-2013, 04:31 AM
Shipping is a pain but I just sent a frame clear across the country for $27 using USPS Parcel Post. Trick is to use a BMX box from the bike shop, which should fit a medium (~55cm) frame and still come under the 108" maximum.

Having said that, eBay sucks and I usually try to sell locally as well.

Cheers,
Hong

dawgie
06-12-2013, 05:10 AM
So basically saying I should stick to Craigslist to sell my old frameset. Got it.

Seriously, Craigslist is the best option if you can sell for a fair price. I recently sold another frame on CL at my asking price, paid no eBay or PayPal fees, buyer paid cash, and I didn't have to pack or ship it. I was so thrilled that I threw in a headset, bottom bracket and handlebar.