PDA

View Full Version : Rage about eBay Auctions

liray
05-18-2013, 09:06 PM
Thought I'd express my annoyance at eBay sellers, and eBay for not having something to guarantee item shipment.

So here's the story. I've had my eye on a carbon frame, and I've watched it all the way until the end of the auction neared. It stayed at $0.99 for some odd reason all the way until the last 10 seconds. I placed my bid, and ultimately ended scoring the frame for $38 + $90 shipping.

I payed the seller, only for him to say: "Either give me 100 more via PayPal, or I will refund your money". Obviously I told him to go stick it in a chain ring, and he just went ahead with the refund.

Now, I wouldn't be nearly as pissed as I am, but he went ahead and re-listed the item again. Again, with no-reserve, as I told him he should have done if he was going to complain about the final price he got.
Here is the new listing... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=321128089072

Curses. :mad:

jds108
05-18-2013, 09:08 PM
Did you contact eBay? I'm curious to hear what they'd do about a situation like this.

TPetsch
05-18-2013, 09:13 PM
Hence the 90.9% feedback

weisan
05-18-2013, 09:13 PM
Er...didn't he say all sales are final in his listing? :butt:

Feeling your pain...

chengher87
05-18-2013, 09:14 PM
Thought I'd express my annoyance at eBay sellers, and eBay for not having something to guarantee item shipment.

So here's the story. I've had my eye on a carbon frame, and I've watched it all the way until the end of the auction neared. It stayed at $0.99 for some odd reason all the way until the last 10 seconds. I placed my bid, and ultimately ended scoring the frame for $38 + $90 shipping.

I payed the seller, only for him to say: "Either give me 100 more via PayPal, or I will refund your money". Obviously I told him to go stick it in a chain ring, and he just went ahead with the refund.

Now, I wouldn't be nearly as pissed as I am, but he went ahead and re-listed the item again. Again, with no-reserve, as I told him he should have done if he was going to complain about the final price he got.
Here is the new listing... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=321128089072

Curses. :mad:

Happened to me with a Cyfac frame. Scored it for $99 total. The seller refunded my money and re-listed the item with new tags: Specialized, Trek, Cannondale and then a link to Cyfac. Suffice to say, it eventually sold for $400 in the new auction.

akelman
05-18-2013, 09:15 PM
Hence the 90.9% feedback

This. You've got to work pretty hard to have feedback that uninspiring.

akelman
05-18-2013, 09:17 PM
Actually, it looks like his lone negative feedback is from the OP.

justinrchan
05-18-2013, 09:26 PM
I think ebay frowns on that - did you take it up with them yet?

slidey
05-18-2013, 09:29 PM
That is simply unfair. Try opening a case or calling them up to explain the situation. As long as all communication was done using eBay's messaging service, they should be able to verify your account of events. The way I understand it, auctions on eBay are 2-way contracts; buyer has to pay and seller has to sell. After items/money have exchanged hands (when they do), based on circumstances (like Tai's) things are renegotiated by eBay.

daker13
05-18-2013, 09:41 PM
He's not going to be successful on ebay for very long. There are ways to get around the no reserve thing (some people have a friend put in a shill bid, etc.) but it sounds like he was pretty brazen.

liray
05-18-2013, 09:47 PM
From what basic skimming I've read of other people's accounts on eBay, seems like we have no other choice than to simply accept the refund.

And yes, the lone negative feed back was actually me, which I hope will deter people from bidding on his stuff in the future.

Listen to what he had to say about this " You can think what you want. I was not dishonest with you, that feedback was slander. I told you exactly your options and followed through. I issued a refund as promised. I've reported you to ebay as well."

Not only have I slandered him, I've been "reported" Ha. :bike:

That is simply unfair. Try opening a case or calling them up to explain the situation. As long as all communication was done using eBay's messaging service, they should be able to verify your account of events. The way I understand it, auctions on eBay are 2-way contracts; buyer has to pay and seller has to sell. After items/money have exchanged hands (when they do), based on circumstances (like Tai's) things are renegotiated by eBay.

akelman
05-18-2013, 09:55 PM
Listen to what he had to say about this " You can think what you want. I was not dishonest with you, that feedback was slander. I told you exactly your options and followed through. I issued a refund as promised. I've reported you to ebay as well."

Make no mistake, he's the real victim. What a complete weasel.

dekindy
05-18-2013, 09:58 PM
With a clear audit trail wouldn't it be stupid for him to report the transaction?

Louis
05-18-2013, 10:22 PM
It's in e-bay's interests to go after guys like this, because I assume they (e-bay) make more money if the seller chooses an auction with a reserve price. Obviously he didn't want to pay that premium so he took his chances and lost.

eBAUMANN
05-18-2013, 10:30 PM
i had this happen once with a fork that i got for crazy cheap...guy told me his wife ran it over with the car the following morning...not much i could say, just took the refund and moved on.

in this case though, i would have definitely contacted ebay, there has to be rules against that kinda stuff.

joosttx
05-18-2013, 10:34 PM
"...I issued a refund as promised..."

Sadly he didn't sell you the bike as promised. That sucks man.

liray
05-18-2013, 10:45 PM
I think I'm going to call eBay tomorrow. I've always found that person-to-person usually works better than email responses.

I'm not sure what they have the power to do to be honest at this point. They can't really force the seller to ship the damn item, but hopefully they will IP ban him and he won't be smart enough to do anything about it.

eBAUMANN
05-18-2013, 10:47 PM
I think I'm going to call eBay tomorrow. I've always found that person-to-person usually works better than email responses.

I'm not sure what they have the power to do to be honest at this point. They can't really force the seller to ship the damn item, but hopefully they will IP ban him and he won't be smart enough to do anything about it.

yea seems like its too late for you to go through with your transaction, as the money has already been returned and item re-listed...you can definitely report the incident though, hopefully they will give him the boot.

jimmythefly
05-18-2013, 11:26 PM

Not only have I slandered him, I've been "reported" Ha. :bike:

LOL It's libel not slander.

In theory an ebay auction is a binding contract where once the auction is completed the seller is required to complete the sale just as the buyer is required to pay. Can't believe he actually reported it to eBay himself.

slidey
05-18-2013, 11:48 PM
Was the fork relisted??

i had this happen once with a fork that i got for crazy cheap...guy told me his wife ran it over with the car the following morning...not much i could say, just took the refund and moved on.

in this case though, i would have definitely contacted ebay, there has to be rules against that kinda stuff.

liray
05-18-2013, 11:55 PM
Yeah, that's how eBay should be, tough on you if you somehow fail to fetch a good price. But there's no way to actually do anything about it.

Either way.
If anyone is in Florida and knows a David Castrillo selling a carbon frame, wouldn't mind if a cog "accidentally" found its way in a place where the sun don't shine.

LOL It's libel not slander.

In theory an ebay auction is a binding contract where once the auction is completed the seller is required to complete the sale just as the buyer is required to pay. Can't believe he actually reported it to eBay himself.

Peter P.
05-19-2013, 05:33 AM
I wonder if you could post something negative to out the seller in the Questions section of the auction?

I had an eBay auction go south on me last December. I won a trainer which was legitimately lost in shipment. The seller wasn't forthcoming in issuing a refund and he lacked insurance. The eBay resolution process worked in my favor and quickly, and I received a full refund, while eBay extracted payment from the seller's credit card account.

My experience has been as another poster said; as long as your communications with the seller are through eBay's messaging system and you follow their resolution process, you're golden, and while you're not seeking a refund, as a minimum you should be documenting this occurrence so the seller has the potential to be banned.

binxnyrwarrsoul
05-19-2013, 06:11 AM
Seller has to check a box to allow the question to be posted on the auction comments.

98% feedback is pretty unacceptable in that strange world of ebay. 90% is a very red flag.

I wonder if you could post something negative to out the seller in the Questions section of the auction?

I had an eBay auction go south on me last December. I won a trainer which was legitimately lost in shipment. The seller wasn't forthcoming in issuing a refund and he lacked insurance. The eBay resolution process worked in my favor and quickly, and I received a full refund, while eBay extracted payment from the seller's credit card account.

My experience has been as another poster said; as long as your communications with the seller are through eBay's messaging system and you follow their resolution process, you're golden, and while you're not seeking a refund, as a minimum you should be documenting this occurrence so the seller has the potential to be banned.