PDA

View Full Version : Amgen tour of California and Stage 7 Mt. Diablo climb

cnighbor1
05-18-2013, 08:18 PM
For all of you that watched on TV the Amgen tour of California and Stage 7 Mt. Diablo climb to the top at just under 4000' elevation you saw the ride I do once a week. I ride at 76 years young to Junction at 2250' elevation. than I sit down at rangers station and have an apple. Get it is back down to the south entrance to Mt. diablo which the racers came up. Than it is on Danville and north back to Walnut Creek and a slice of Pizza at whole foods. In total it is 35 miles 2500 ft. of climbing. $3.93 for lunch In the summer when the pool at my complex is open I go in for a cool down.

Today I rode up Mt. Diablo to within 5km of the summit. the road was closed to cars and cyclist at 3KM. You walked to te summit if you wanted to see end of the race. It is sure fun to see all the crazies riding, walking and running up the mountain. than the racers are next. Than it is try too stay uprigth riding down with all the cyclists heading down including the auto's

I sure some of you wonder why I would do such an ordinary ride.

Just watch the ride on TV and you see why!

Charles Nighbor

Walnut Creek, CA

PS On Friday I rode around Mt. Tam, CA 40 miles and about 5000' of climbing

Ralph
05-18-2013, 08:23 PM
You sure have my admiration. I drove up Mt Tam one time, saw some cyclists climbing, and wondered how they keep from getting run over by auto traffic on that narrow rd.

branflakes
05-18-2013, 08:24 PM
at 76 years young, you my friend, are the schitt!

joosttx
05-18-2013, 08:47 PM
For all of you that watched on TV the Amgen tour of California and Stage 7 Mt. Diablo climb to the top at just under 4000' elevation you saw the ride I do once a week. I ride at 76 years young to Junction at 2250'

PS On Friday I rode around Mt. Tam, CA 40 miles and about 5000' of climbing

Charles you are an inspiration. Thanks for sharing.

weisan
05-18-2013, 09:16 PM
Charles-pal, I may have to ask you to produce a birth certificate :rolleyes::)

MattTuck
05-18-2013, 10:35 PM
Charles, I hope I am like you when I'm 76. If I am doing 1/2 the riding that you do at that point, I'd consider myself doing awesome.

TTigg
05-20-2013, 10:54 AM
Charles,
Amazing stuff and very inspirational. As others have said, I can only hope to be doing what you're doing when I'm your age, great stuff! so thanks for sharing.

xodus
05-20-2013, 11:18 AM
At 62 presently and grateful, I hope to continue to ride and be like you on the bike. Truly inspirational, especially for us "old heads". Great read. Thank you!

dyerwolf
05-20-2013, 11:24 AM
Charles, you sir are quite an inspiration. I have family down the road in Dublin-Pleasanton and know this route well. Kudos to doing every week. May we all have near the same form as you do at your age. The apples seems to help too!