PDA

View Full Version : OT: Hyundai Santa Fe or similar

vav
05-18-2013, 11:11 AM
Anyone owns one? Thinking of replacing my 2000 manual tranny Altima with a Santa Fe. 2nd baby due in 2-3 weeks so this would become our "family" car.

I am looking ideally 2011-2014 with less than 20k miles and price tag around 20K as well, meaning could go up a couple thousand.

Santa Fe owners care to share your experiences? And what else I am missing similar to Santa Fe regarding price/space/performance, etc?

Thanks
Vincent

I 'll miss my manual transmission but my wife is non-negotiable with this :cool:

firerescuefin
05-18-2013, 11:26 AM
I don't have one, but my Brother in Law just got one 2 months ago for the same reason you did and loves it. He got the turbo and gets mid 20s and it flat gets up and goes. I've ridden in it and it is super nice. Made be kick around getting one as my next vehicle. Definitely worth looking at.

c-record
05-18-2013, 11:28 AM
I came half way to buying one a couple months ago. I went with a '14 Forester instead. They seemed like a nice vehicle though.

vav
05-18-2013, 11:37 AM
The Forester is another that I'd consider but it seems less spacious on the inside maybe?

93legendti
05-18-2013, 11:44 AM
I just got a Kia Sorrento that I love. I believe they are in the same class. We rent Kia's on vacation, usually the Sedona/Carnival.
Just about every day my kids remark how much they enjoy riding in the Sorrento

Ralph
05-18-2013, 12:04 PM
They come in two wheel base length....2 body sizes. I've driven a top of the line smaller one....the Sport model....with 2.0 Turbo. Was mighty impressed. Had all the gadgets....NAV, backup camera, hands free, etc. However....it wasn't so large. Would get the larger model myself with the 3.3 V6 with lots more power....290 HP I believe. More interior room. I think they can compete with anyone or anything in their size class.

4Rings6Stars
05-18-2013, 03:42 PM
I am in the maket for a similar vehicle, but probably not until next summer.

Forrester is in the lead. I would prefer something like a Jetta wagon (ideally an Audi Allroad but that might have to wait a few years...) but the lady is adamantly opposed to wagons for reasons I will never understand...

gavingould
05-18-2013, 04:19 PM
the Jetta wagon is awesome, but if you have child seats that need to go in, I hope you're not tall as they may not fit. back seat is pretty tight.

never had the Santa Fe, but I did have a Hyundai for 11 years. I'd buy another pretty easily; if they had a wagon or a big hatchback perhaps I would not have gotten the Jetta Sportwagen.

c-record
05-18-2013, 05:15 PM
The Forester is another that I'd consider but it seems less spacious on the inside maybe?

It felt like the Forester was more spacious after comparing and driving each. I didn't really consider the '13 Forester though as I wanted the fuel economy of the '14-the '14 is a redesign for the platform. 32 mpg/highway isn't too bad. I'm close to that so far.

oldpotatoe
05-19-2013, 07:16 AM
Anyone owns one? Thinking of replacing my 2000 manual tranny Altima with a Santa Fe. 2nd baby due in 2-3 weeks so this would become our "family" car.

I am looking ideally 2011-2014 with less than 20k miles and price tag around 20K as well, meaning could go up a couple thousand.

Santa Fe owners care to share your experiences? And what else I am missing similar to Santa Fe regarding price/space/performance, etc?

Thanks
Vincent

I 'll miss my manual transmission but my wife is non-negotiable with this :cool:

Son bought a used one. At about 75,000 miles broke a timing belt..$4500 repair, no warranty from the POS car dealer. Relatives involved(Bro-in-law and his worthless kid, who 'certified' the car)..fine car but do the timing belt when it calls for it or earlier if no warranty.

Columbus SLX
05-19-2013, 07:34 AM
Son bought a used one. At about 75,000 miles broke a timing belt..$4500 repair, no warranty from the POS car dealer. Relatives involved(Bro-in-law and his worthless kid, who 'certified' the car)..fine car but do the timing belt when it calls for it or earlier if no warranty.

Interference engine. The pistons and valves occupy the same space, just at different times (http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/files/2012/12/tardis2.jpg), so if the timing belt snaps they collide and the engine is done. Always change the belt at 55-60k, you'll be fine.

oldpotatoe
05-19-2013, 07:38 AM
Interference engine. The pistons and valves occupy the same space, just at different times (http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/files/2012/12/tardis2.jpg), so if the timing belt snaps they collide and the engine is done. Always change the belt at 55-60k, you'll be fine.

Yes, I know what was involved, valves, engine, etc. ...'dealer' said the timing belt was done, it wasn't.