PDA

View Full Version : Ventoux or Dolomites for a trip?

jeffg
12-03-2005, 02:03 PM
I likely have the chance to do one vacation with a cyclosportif/gran fondo next year with the family.

The choices are likely Ventoux (La Ventoux) in early June or the Dolomites (Maratona dles Dolomites) in early July.

The event in the Dolomites is more established and I was lucky to get a spot; however, Ventoux is Ventoux and spending the week after sipping wine in the south of France is not half-bad either.

If you could do one such trip (Grandfondo Campagnolo, L'Etape du Tour, etc.) what would it be?

93legendti
12-03-2005, 02:21 PM
I've done the Dolomites and they are fantastic. The weather can be cold and rainy (it was the week I was there in June), so consider that in making your decision.

sam
12-04-2005, 11:57 AM
I did the Maratona dles Dolomites while at the Carpenter-Phinney Bike camp. Had a great time....

Johnnyg
12-04-2005, 12:10 PM
I likely have the chance to do one vacation with a cyclosportif/gran fondo next year with the family.

The choices are likely Ventoux (La Ventoux) in early June or the Dolomites (Maratona dles Dolomites) in early July.

The event in the Dolomites is more established and I was lucky to get a spot; however, Ventoux is Ventoux and spending the week after sipping wine in the south of France is not half-bad either.

If you could do one such trip (Granfondo Campagnolo, L'Etape du Tour, etc.) what would it be?
Jeff I have not done the Dolomites but have done Ventoux and It is epic. Lance calls it the toughest climb in France! The region is beautiful. We stayed and rode from Gordes. Either trip would be vabulous! Good luck. JohnnyG

davep
12-04-2005, 07:50 PM
Didn't you do Ventoux this past summer?

Sipping wine in the Italian mountains ain't bad either.

Dolomites.

But then again l'Etape always looks interesting. Must be a ***** to have such choices :D

christian
12-04-2005, 08:40 PM
Boy, that's a tough nut, but can you really beat the whole Sella-Gardena-
Campolongo-Pordoi-Fedaia-Giau-Falzarego ride? Could there be anything better?

One of my favorite memories ever is climbing the west side of the Passo Falzarego from Arabba and looking back over my shoulder at the Marmolada an early July morning. About 10 degrees C, bright sun, birds singing, and me honking up the road. Too cool.

I think the Maratona actually rides up the east side of the Falzarego from Cortina and then heads north toward Corvara in Badia, but still, that's god's country up there. Oh my, I need to go to the Dolomites!

- Christian

jeffg
12-05-2005, 08:34 AM
Boy, that's a tough nut, but can you really beat the whole Sella-Gardena-
Campolongo-Pordoi-Fedaia-Giau-Falzarego ride? Could there be anything better?

One of my favorite memories ever is climbing the west side of the Passo Falzarego from Arabba and looking back over my shoulder at the Marmolada an early July morning. About 10 degrees C, bright sun, birds singing, and me honking up the road. Too cool.

I think the Maratona actually rides up the east side of the Falzarego from Cortina and then heads north toward Corvara in Badia, but still, that's god's country up there. Oh my, I need to go to the Dolomites!

- Christian

Indeed. The Maratona hits the Giau from the tougher side, which after the Campolongo (2X), the Pordoi, the Sella/Gardena starts to smart a bit. I think I have experienced the side of the Falzarego you climbed as the descent, which rules, espcially since it signals the end of the major climbing!

La Ventoux is no cakewalk either, though you get to tackle Ventoux from Bedoin early in the ride and then you hold on once you hit the interminable but gentle slog from Sault to Chalet Reynard at km 105 or so.

My real question is what would be better for a family vacation ... Corvara has great hiking and wonderful wellness hotels, whereas Provence is likely a bit more expensive in season but would have warmer weather, figs drizzled with lavender honey and cavaillon melons with Muscat-de-Beaumes de Venise by the pool ...

My kids are very young (will be 2.5 and 1), and I just want them and my wife to have a great time. I ruled out L'Etape since it seems you have to use a tour company and this would restrict the type of accomodation we could choose and make the cycling more of a focus. If you do it yourself with a loop ride I could head out one morning and be back by early afternoon, which keeps the impact fairly minimal.

Either ride would be great (and weather can be an issue on Ventoux even in early June or in early July in the Dolomites). This is likely our last year in Europe so I want to go out with a bang ...

Elefantino
12-05-2005, 06:53 PM
If you've got the family along, I'd take them to Italy. The Provence region is beautiful but not exactly thrilling with kidlets. Hiking with kids in Italy sounds fun.

I've done the Ventoux (from Bedoin) and want to go to Italy next, although we're returning to France next summer for our 25th.

Without the bike. Or so I've been told.