PDA

View Full Version : OT: You know you're getting old when...

Tom
12-03-2005, 01:16 PM
(1) You check out "Great Performances" on PBS
(2) It's the Cream reunion concerts from the Royal Albert Hall
(3) You get another beer and watch.
(4) You realize you don't look any younger than Jack Bruce.
(5) You realize his voice has gotten as bad as yours.
(6) You realize you don't have enough time left on this here earth to learn to play bass guitar like that.

OldDog
12-03-2005, 01:51 PM
What time does the replay come on?
:beer:

Kevin
12-03-2005, 01:52 PM
Its probably past my bedtime.

Kevin

zap
12-03-2005, 01:57 PM
Maybe I'm not that old after all.

davids
12-03-2005, 02:07 PM
You guys are in trouble:

I'm listening the the Afghan Whigs, and feeling old...

taz-t
12-03-2005, 02:17 PM
You guys are in trouble:

I'm listening the the Afghan Whigs, and feeling old...

Nice... "all messed up and nowhere to go"

Saw the PBS Cream show. So-so, but nice to see Clapton rock for once. A Blind Faith reunion would be interesting.

Taz in ATL

Frankwurst
12-03-2005, 02:30 PM
When I realize I don't look any younger than Keith Richards I will finally say, "you know I'm getting old", until then I say "Rock Hard and Ride Free" :beer:

Doc Austin
12-03-2005, 02:41 PM
You know you're getting old when...

On a beautiful 75 degree Florida day in December you blow off that 20 mile ride and have another twinky instead.

BumbleBeeDave
12-03-2005, 04:31 PM
. . . at least you have that beautiful new den to feel old in! ;)

BBDave

OldDog
12-03-2005, 06:31 PM
On a beautiful 75 degree Florida day in December you blow off that 20 mile ride and have another twinky instead.

Doc - you must still be a young pup...mature cyclists have learned to savor Krispy Kreams. Light enough to woof down a 1/2 dozen both before and after that 20 miler. :D

davids
12-03-2005, 09:15 PM
Nice... "all messed up and nowhere to go"

Taz in ATL
That was the one!

Of course, I prefer:

What should I tell her?
She's going to ask
If I ignore it, it gets uncomfortable
She'll want to argue about the past
Still I think she believes me
Every word I say
I think I'm starting to believe it all myself
Go ask the gentlemen who play it
But hate to pay

And it don't bleed, and it don't breathe
It's locked its jaws & now it's swallowing
It's in our heart, it's in our heads
It's in our love, baby, it's in our bed

It holds my arms down, sits upon my chest
It waves its finger at me every night & day
And it don't rest

And it don't breathe and it don't bleed
It's locked its jaws and now it's swallowing
It's all a lie, it's nearly dead
It's in our hope, baby, it's in our bed

And especially:

You hurt me baby
I flinch so when you do
Your kisses scourge me
Hyssop in your perfume
Oh, I do not fear you
And slave I only use
As a word to describe the special way I feel for you

You look like me
And I look like no one else
We need no other
As long as we have ourselves
But I won't cry about it
Every time you get obsessed
Every time I came undressed

All ugly thoughts are gone
I'm sure we'll all be friends
I'll try to break your back
You'll try to make amends
Curse softly to me baby
And smother me in your love
Temptation comes not from hell but from above

And there's blood on my teeth
When I bite my tongue to speak
Zip me down, kiss me there
I can smile now
You won't find out ever

Hurt me baby
I flinch so when you do
Your kisses scourge me
Hyssop in your perfume
Oh I do not fear you
And slave I only use as a word to describe
The way I feel when I'm with you

If I have to lie about it everytime I came undressed

justinf
12-04-2005, 08:52 AM
he picked up where Reznor left off. Late twenties/early thirties? We're getting there.

davids
12-04-2005, 10:46 AM
he picked up where Reznor left off. Late twenties/early thirties? We're getting there.
I'm 45, my friend! I am there!

I managed to keep up with the latest and greatest well into the 90s, and even now, I occasionally hear of a worthwhile new band.

But my heyday was the late 70s through the mid 80s - The Clash, Ramones, Elvis Costello, Replacements, Mission of Burma, X, Husker Du, Meat Puppets, Pere Ubu. (If you want to carbon-date me: I had my fake ID all ready to see the Sex Pistols, but they blew apart before they made the Cleveland show...)

Like another old guy once said, "Keep on Rockin in the Free World!"

CNY rider
12-04-2005, 01:27 PM

I managed to keep up with the latest and greatest well into the 90s, and even now, I occasionally hear of a worthwhile new band.

But my heyday was the late 70s through the mid 80s - The Clash, Ramones, Elvis Costello, Replacements, Mission of Burma, X, Husker Du, Meat Puppets, Pere Ubu. (If you want to carbon-date me: I had my fake ID all ready to see the Sex Pistols, but they blew apart before they made the Cleveland show...)

It was a sad day last year when I came into work and told my young secretary how bummed I was that another one of the Ramones had died (Johnny) only to have her look blankly and say "Who?"

Kevin
12-04-2005, 01:45 PM
It was a sad day last year when I came into work and told my young secretary how bummed I was that another one of the Ramones had died (Johnny) only to have her look blankly and say "Who?"

You should have fired her. ;)

Kevin

Fixed
12-04-2005, 01:58 PM
(1) You check out "Great Performances" on PBS
(2) It's the Cream reunion concerts from the Royal Albert Hall
(3) You get another beer and watch.
(4) You realize you don't look any younger than Jack Bruce.
(5) You realize his voice has gotten as bad as yours.
(6) You realize you don't have enough time left on this here earth to learn to play bass guitar like that. i heard them at a friends house muddy waters and robert johnson rip off but at least it was live music I thought the bass player sang pretty good for a old cat. I didn't get the drummers aong he sang must be some english folk thing ,enjoyed it overall cheers :beer:

eddief
12-04-2005, 02:09 PM
of course you all know that's when your stomach sticks out more than your d*ick do.

I thought the Cream concert was well done. A lot a music out of just 3 guys on stage.

Ray
12-05-2005, 03:49 AM
Taint nothin. I remember in the late seventies chatting up a sweet young woman (I was only about 20, she was probably 18) and mentioning Jimi Hendrix and getting the same blank look. When this was already happening to you 25 or more years ago, you REALLY feel old.

Ray

davids
12-05-2005, 08:06 AM
...it was Joe Strummer's death. He died about a month after my father, and I honestly think it was hearing about Joe's death that made my father's death real to me. (Those of you who've been through this may be able to relate...) I was devistated.

Johnny Ramone was a sweetheart. Joe Strummer was a hero.

Kevan
12-05-2005, 09:05 AM
I check out "Great Performances" regularly on PBS and I can easily pound down 1/2 dozen glazers before and after a 20 mile ride.

Wouldn't want to stray too far from Norm.

gary135r
12-05-2005, 03:33 PM
I'm going to see U2 tonight and the drugs I am taking before the concert are my cholesterol and high blood pressure meds! :beer:

William
12-05-2005, 04:07 PM
Your seven year old son is bugging you about something and you tell him he's starting to sound like a broken record. To which he seriously replies,"What's a record?" :crap:

William

davids
12-05-2005, 04:11 PM
Your seven year old son is bugging you about something and you tell him he's starting to sound like a broken record. To which he seriously replies,"What's a record?" :crap:

William
A couple years ago, I had the experience of showing one of my daughter's friends my turntable, and explaining how it works. He thought it was the coolest thing ever! Of course, this is the same kid who thinks I look cool riding my bike, so his enthusiasm is suspect... ;)

dsimon
12-05-2005, 04:14 PM
when i need 2 spoons of geritol before a ride :bike:

soulspinner
12-06-2005, 05:25 AM
When I quit using chamois cream and substitute Depends....

ClutchCargo
12-06-2005, 08:26 AM
A couple years ago, I had the experience of showing one of my daughter's friends my turntable, and explaining how it works. He thought it was the coolest thing ever! Of course, this is the same kid who thinks I look cool riding my bike, so his enthusiasm is suspect... ;)

and rented a car that had cranks to raise and lower the windows. His 15 year old was amazed at the concept of turning a crank to work the window (and was flummoxed by how it actually worked, but maybe that says more about our educational system these days!).

p.s. I first got that feeling of time passing when I noticed that some of the Playmates were younger than I was ! :(

lithiapark
12-06-2005, 09:55 PM
You know you're really old when you're looking through a bike magazine and come across an ad with a picture of Jessie Stensland riding her bike, and your first thoughts are "Gosh I wish I had legs like that" ;)

EPOJoe
12-06-2005, 10:37 PM
i heard them at a friends house muddy waters and robert johnson rip off but at least it was live music I thought the bass player sang pretty good for a old cat. I didn't get the drummers aong he sang must be some english folk thing ,enjoyed it overall cheers :beer:

Dude, Clapton's spent (almost) his entire career patterning his playing style after the great early blues guitarists. I personally think he's achieved a sort of washed out, generic style that lacks the emotion of the original players but that's just me, and lots of folks love him.

Jack Bruce has always been a personal fave of mine. I was sorely disappointed with the volume of the bass in the mix during the PBS program. Bruce was one of the true break-through artists of bass guitar, helping to make it a forefront instrument. His bass lines in Politician, Sunshine of Your Love and Badge *make* the songs, and inspired untold numbers of kids to pick up a bass guitar. Unfortunately, you could barely hear his playing here. That bass should have been RUMBLING. Sadly, he was looking a bit frail and unhealthy to me. Had to sit down several times during the set while playing. I’m starting to worry about Jack...

TimB
12-07-2005, 06:31 AM
So, been intending to post here, but just not had the chance...

I saw the Clash twice in the late 1970's early,early 1980s, and by far the most energetic shows I've ever been to. The second, maybe timed with the release of London Calling, was an 'open seating' event, which meant that just about everyone was on the floor in front of the stage at the St Paul civic center. Dangerous place to be at the time, squeezed in tight with slam-dancin' fools all around...

On the other hand, there is now this:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00007FOJ3/qid=1133958631/sr=2-3/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_3/103-9351371-0191003?v=glance&s=music

Oh yeah, I figured I was getting old the first time I saw a grey hair - on my chest.

davids
12-07-2005, 09:19 AM
So, been intending to post here, but just not had the chance...

I saw the Clash twice in the late 1970's early,early 1980s, and by far the most energetic shows I've ever been to. The second, maybe timed with the release of London Calling, was an 'open seating' event, which meant that just about everyone was on the floor in front of the stage at the St Paul civic center. Dangerous place to be at the time, squeezed in tight with slam-dancin' fools all around...
The most memorable Clash show I went to was at a roller rink in Royal Oak, MI. Same deal, open seating, etc. The show was right after the Who's disaster in Cincinati, where 11 people died in a crush of people. Standing in the crowd at the door, people started chanting, "Cin-cin-ati! Cin-cin-ati!!"

They let us in.

I was near the front, and as I walked toward the rink, I heard music. Loud music. It was the Clash, doing their soundcheck.

Imagine kids running into the rink, amazed to find the band onstage, Joe greeting us, "Hey, c'mon in. We're just finishing up." They played parts of a few songs, Joe said, "See ya!" and they were gone.

Two hours later, they were back, and ablaze. :banana: :eek: :banana:

Ah, memories. It's all us old folk have...

JohnS
12-07-2005, 09:42 AM
Dude, Clapton's spent (almost) his entire career patterning his playing style after the great early blues guitarists. I personally think he's achieved a sort of washed out, generic style that lacks the emotion of the original players but that's just me, and lots of folks love him.
I saw Clapton in concert in Mobile, AL over 20 years ago. It was disappointing. Muddy Waters opened up for him and was great. Then EC went onstage and tried to out-blues the old guy. It was embarrassing. I like all the Clapton fans that use his Derek and the Dominos stuff to "show" what a great guitarist he is. Duh, most of that was Duane Allman. Not that he's not good, he's just not what many build him up to be.

chrisroph
12-07-2005, 10:05 AM
you get to the bottom of a big descent, somebody asks you how fast you went and you respond "I don't know I forgot to put my reading glasses in my jersey pocket."

MartyE
12-07-2005, 10:08 AM
Clapton would play down the Guitar God appelation that
has been given him.He never was a guitar pyrotechnician ala Hendrix,
Van Halen, Alvin Lee etc imho.
What he is good at is the space between the notes, his timing is
excellent.
The whole reunion thing reminds me of

Well the time slips away and leaves you with nothing, mister, but boring
stories of . . . Glory Days…

marty

spiderlake
12-07-2005, 10:26 AM
Ah yes, The Replacements..... IMHO, one of the best bands ever. It's just too bad they were so far ahead of their time. 99% of the bands coming through the ranks now where their 'mats influence on their sleeves. Some even go so far as to rip lyrics from Westerberg and company without giving him credit. 'Let it Be', I think is their best album.

I followed the Ramones through England/Scotland in '90/'91 and got to meet them. Charlie Harper from U.K. Subs was a friend of a friend so we leveraged that to our advantage and got to live the life of rock stars for a few days. In short, not a life I'd like to have!!

I think the best show I ever saw would have to be The Smiths (Queen is Dead) in '86, Nirvana in '89 in Germany or U2 at Fountain Street Church in '81 in Grand Rapids..... People still don't believe they ever played in Grand Rapids but I was there along with a couple hundred other people!!!

To stay within the boundaries of the thread - you know you're getting old when some new band covers a classic and some teenybopper treats it as if it is original material. Case in point:

Back in '98, a band called Orgy covered the New Order classic, Blue Monday. I was driving down the road with an intern and she turned up the radio and said how much she loved the song. I replied back with, yeah, me too, the first time it came out back in '83. She gave me one of those, "this dude is whacked out" looks and became quite adamant that Blue Monday was an original song and that Orgy was, "like the best band ever"..... I didn't have the desire to take the conversation any further but it still makes me laugh.

Fixed
12-07-2005, 03:22 PM
[QUOTE=EPOJoe]Dude, Clapton's spent (almost) his entire career patterning his playing style after the great early blues guitarists. I personally think he's achieved a sort of washed out, generic style that lacks the emotion of the original players but that's just me, and lots of folks love him.

bro he does kind of remind me of freddy king a little bro but he lived in the 60-70 's

davids
12-07-2005, 04:01 PM
Ah yes, The Replacements..... IMHO, one of the best bands ever. It's just too bad they were so far ahead of their time. 99% of the bands coming through the ranks now where their 'mats influence on their sleeves. Some even go so far as to rip lyrics from Westerberg and company without giving him credit. 'Let it Be', I think is their best album.

To stay within the boundaries of the thread - you know you're getting old when some new band covers a classic and some teenybopper treats it as if it is original material...
One of my best college friends lived with the woman who became Westerberg's first wife. It was pretty cool knowing who all those amazing songs were about! Color me impressed, indeed!

My favorite 'Mats show was at Boston's Channel. My friends and I watched Bob Stinson drinking in the back room during the opening acts. We moved up to the stage for the main show, and the band came out without Bob! Paul asked if anyone had seen their guitarist, and then they started the set without him. He came sprinting through the crowd and jumped up onstage before they'd made it through a verse. That show showed them at their sloppy worst, the sloppy best ("Green Acres"), and their very, very best. It was a memorable night.

I don't know whether to cheer or cry when I hear "Bliztkreig Bop" selling cell phones. And didn't Moby write "That's when I Reach for My Revolver"?

Ozz
12-07-2005, 04:21 PM
...Westerberg's...

1-2-3-4
Road maps and bra staps
8 tracks and mud flaps
I don't give a damn
Cause I'm a free old man

Pulled it right up
Shoot her the shadey
All that I want
Is silver naked lady