PDA

View Full Version : schadenfreude for bikers in toronto?

moose8
05-17-2013, 02:16 PM
I remember reading awhile ago that this guy was very against bike riding and feeling bad for riders in Toronto: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17914504

I attributed his comments to being a crackpot, but it turns out I should have attributed them to him being a crackhead:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2013/05/17/rob_ford_crack_cocaine_toronto_s_mayor_allegedly_c aught_on_tape_smoking.html

I can't imagine he's going to be in office much longer with this, but you never know.

maunahaole
05-17-2013, 02:21 PM
I always thought that crackheads were, you know, skinny. Go figure.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. He should do a reality tv show with Marion Berry.

mktng
05-17-2013, 02:24 PM
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4931347/toronto-mayor-rob-ford-smoking-crack.html#ixzz2TZa3Uri6

Anarchist
05-17-2013, 04:13 PM
You should know something about the subjects you are posting about before posting.

The newspaper behind that story has been re-fighting the election since it was decided, against their candidate. They have a pathological hatred of Ford, he isn't one of "them".

They have been behind all manner of legal challenges and spurious news stories ever since.

It is the classic case of the downtown urbanites against those in the suburbs and I am willing to bet that the more the paper keeps going with this crap, the greater will be his win next election.

dbh
05-17-2013, 04:47 PM
Surprise he hasn't used the "bitch set me up" playbook. If you discount hizzoner's brief jail sentence, Mayor for Life Barry is doing quite well in DC post crack video.

Black Dog
05-17-2013, 06:21 PM
You should know something about the subjects you are posting about before posting.

The newspaper behind that story has been re-fighting the election since it was decided, against their candidate. They have a pathological hatred of Ford, he isn't one of "them".

They have been behind all manner of legal challenges and spurious news stories ever since.

It is the classic case of the downtown urbanites against those in the suburbs and I am willing to bet that the more the paper keeps going with this crap, the greater will be his win next election.

Are you saying that they are making up the story about the video? If the video is real and they refused by buy and show it, would that not show some integrity? What if the video is real?

slidey
05-17-2013, 06:47 PM
1. Seeing, and
2. Check for authenticity of video

is believing.

drinkslinger
05-17-2013, 07:03 PM
Surprise he hasn't used the "bitch set me up" playbook. If you discount hizzoner's brief jail sentence, Mayor for Life Barry is doing quite well in DC post crack video.

Damn. Ya beat me to it! I still have 3 "Barry in '94" bumper stickers....

moose8
05-17-2013, 07:49 PM

http://www.slate.com/blogs/crime/2013/05/17/rob_ford_crack_cocaine_simpsons_mayor_diamond_joe_ quimby_or_toronto_mayor.html

leftyfreak
05-17-2013, 09:26 PM

I grew up in the GTA, my sister is one of the "downtown urbanites" and my parents are "those in the suburbs." While I don't live there anymore, I'm still (unfortunately?) a fan of the Leafs and Jays, and keep tabs on the news in my home town.

Since this is a bike forum, my comment will be one that the populace here might be familiar with...this line of defense--attacking the media for its witchhunt, calling into question the integrity of the accusers--sounds an awful like the Lance Armstrong defense. Like the Lance scenario, I'm pretty certain that there will always be Ford "believers" and "unbelievers." I've got no idea how this situation turns out, but it sure doesn't make the city look good.

charliedid
05-17-2013, 09:37 PM
I bet he secretly rides a bike at night under cover of darkness.

What a clown.

zzy
05-17-2013, 10:21 PM
Just so people know, this guy is a joke who tries to slam urban citizens to garner support for his popular suburban base. It's reprehensible, but he says awful things like this because it gets him attention in the media. This guy also physically assaulted a reporter and demanded that he surrender his recording device, whom he felt has trespassing.

daker13
05-18-2013, 04:01 PM

I believe Gawker were the ones to break this story... They didn't post it until someone from Gawker told someone from CNN who went and asked the mayor's office for comment. And for anyone who really wants to see the tape themselves

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/rob-ford-crackstarter

alancw3
05-19-2013, 11:50 AM
"schadenfreude" possibly my favorite word in life.

Onno
05-19-2013, 12:00 PM
As a German friend of mine frequently said, "Schadenfreude ist die beste freude." Love it.

dancinkozmo
05-19-2013, 08:00 PM
english translation for schadenfreude....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo