PDA

View Full Version : Old Jensie, the Ice (Age) Man

572cv
05-17-2013, 10:05 AM
I almost posted this on Steve in SLO's thread about seeing one of his favorite bikers.... Jens is one of my favorite bikers too. The attached is from Velonews. I found it disarmingly funny.

After Amgen Tour win, Voigt says it will take two riders to fill his spot

By Matthew Beaudin
Published May. 16, 2013
Updated 9 hours ago

According to Jens Voigt, a little history study could have prepared his breakaway mates at the Amgen Tour of California on Thursday. Photo: Casey B. Gibson | www.cbgphoto.com

AVILA BEACH, Calif. (VN) — The move he pulled in stage 5 of the Amgen Tour of California on Thursday is the same one Jens Voigt has been pulling since the Pleistocene — according to the German himself — and yet it just keeps working.

“I’ve done that move, basically, since many, many years. Almost since the last ice age I’ve been doing the same move,” said a jovial Voigt (RadioShack-Leopard) after he won in Avila Beach with a late attack from a waning breakaway.

“Sometimes, like in Colorado [2012 USA Pro Challenge], I do it with 140 kilometers to go, and today, with five to go. They know what my plan is. They know I cannot win a sprint. They know I have to be alone. You’ve got to catch them by surprise. They watch each other,” said the oldest rider in the pro peloton. “Peter Sagan looks at [Thor] Hushovd; Hushovd looks at Tyler Farrar. And they go, ‘yeah, it’s just old Jensie, let him go.’”

They should probably stop saying that, if they ever did at all. It’s hard to know — it’s not like Voigt, 41, is getting away off the front on charity when Sagan and Farrar are angling for stage wins, and Hushovd is sniffing around.

“Jens Voigt surprised us all a bit,” Hushovd said.

Farrar added: “I really wanted to win today. But Jens pulled an awesome move, and everyone was just dead from riding so hard the last hour, so he did a good one.”

Voigt and his RadioShack team parlayed a headwind that turned crosswind into a wedge in the main field, and other contenders were happy to play along. Tejay van Garderen (BMC Racing) was there, as was Michael Rogers (Saxo-Tinkoff). Once it was clear the group was going to stay away, Voigt said he eased off the gas a bit, and then sensed the moment at about five kilometers to go.

“It’s almost like a voice talking in your head. ‘Go now. It’s now or never. It’s now, it’s now.’ And then you listen to that voice,” he said. “And I think maybe they underestimated me and they say, ‘Oh, he’s going to die out there. He’s going to slow down.’ And, yeah, it played in my favor. I guess I’m allowed to say, every now and then, I do still have a little bit of go power. … And once I’m out there, once I can see and smell this victory, it’s hard to get it away from me.”

Voigt’s diesel engine kept moving, powering him to his 66th win as a professional, and second win in the U.S in his last two appearances. In Colorado last August, he won a stage from a ridiculous break with more than 100 kilometers to the finish town of Beaver Creek, solo.

He said 2012 would be his last in the professional peloton. This year, he said he’s not in the twilight of his career, but rather extending seasons.

“I like to call it Indian Summer. It’s — you know — how beautiful it is? That’s where I am. The Indian Summer of my career. But yeah, everything has to come to an end one day. … But age is just a number, currently. If I can still do my job, if I can still be out there doing what people want, what they expect of me … there’s no reason to stop or slow down or give it up.”

Clearly, he’s not giving up. Asked what rider he’d tap to replace him, for once he was stumped, with no clever answer. Until this: “I think it would take maybe two persons. One to do the funny part, and one to be the bike rider.”

It may take two, actually, to be the bike rider.

rwsaunders
05-17-2013, 10:05 PM
My favorite line..."You have to catch them by surprise. You gotta make sure they're busy watching each other - Sagan looks for Hushovd, Hushovd watches Tyler Farrar, and they just say, 'It's just old Jensie, we'll catch him back, he's going to die out there."

soulspinner
05-18-2013, 04:08 AM
Love it...

gone
05-18-2013, 07:25 AM
I've said it before, I'll say it again: I heart Jens!

Kirk Pacenti
05-18-2013, 08:04 AM
Jens Voigt Army! (http://teamjva.com/)

nighthawk
05-18-2013, 08:13 AM
Jens Voigt Army! (http://teamjva.com/)

That is an excellent reappropriation of the JFA logo.... and pretty funny website, to boot.

Kirk Pacenti
05-18-2013, 08:16 AM
That is an excellent reappropriation of the JFA logo.... and pretty funny website, to boot.

I thought so too.

VonTrapp
05-18-2013, 08:48 AM
During the Stage 6 TT, here in San Jose, Jens was the only rider we saw who interacted with the crowd on the final climb - smiling after someone would cheer something funny, and nearly gave someone a high five. Granted, he might not have been focussing as much as the Team Director might have wanted... but if you've just won the previous stage and aren't in contention for the GC, why not give the fans a little of what they want?

Kudos to Jens.

bluesea
05-18-2013, 09:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AexzqFLquG8&list=RD02t0TBq47vfps

BumbleBeeDave
05-18-2013, 03:56 PM
http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

:p

cash05458
05-18-2013, 04:01 PM
great...old jensie...whatever gives us old guys a charge and I include myself as older than old jens...whatever......pretty much the oldest doper and liar in the peloton...hero of us master racers ect...thing of beauty...let's hear it for the old time for junkies and moneymakers...yeah, he won in california under an amgen epo banner...sounds fantastic and inspiring...

gasman
05-18-2013, 04:38 PM
great...old jensie...whatever gives us old guys a charge and I include myself as older than old jens...whatever......pretty much the oldest doper and liar in the peloton...hero of us master racers ect...thing of beauty...let's hear it for the old time for junkies and moneymakers...yeah, he won in california under an amgen epo banner...sounds fantastic and inspiring...

Harsh

oldpotatoe
05-19-2013, 08:27 AM
Harsh

"At the end of October 2012, Voigt wrote a long blog entry to address the turmoil caused by the Lance Armstrong-USADA doping affair, and related in it his personal experiences, stating that he "just never doped".[50] Voigt argued that it was impossible for him to imagine that he would be regarded as a doper, and cheater by his children if he took performance-enhancing drugs.[50] Tyler Hamilton felt Voigt was jeopardizing his fight against doping in autumn 2012. While the American has no proof, he is convinced that Voigt doped. Voigt reacted by saying that he never heard about doping while he was on the CSC team. Hamilton felt this statement was like "spitting in my face", and "the most ridiculous thing I read in my life"."

-Wikipedia

weisan
05-19-2013, 09:39 AM
I like Jens.

But this is my personal view.
Internally, I have a line drawn that cannot be crossed under any circumstances.
It's a prohibited area. Once you enter in, you have raised the stakes exponentially and you need to be prepared to pay the ultimate price.

And that is this.

Whatever you do, never involve your wife or children in your public defense.
More often than not, it exposes your guilt and lack of basic decency and integrity, an open admission if you will.

A week before the authority released a thousand over pages long document, Lance said in public he would never lie to his children.

Mentally I put a check mark.
A line that cannot be crossed, had been crossed.
That was the last line of defense, out of desperation.

The most common remark made by someone involved in a scandal: please respect my family privacy...
Well, guess what, you should have thought about the welfare of your wife and children long time again...

I don't mean to be overly harsh, we all make mistakes and in need of grace and forgiveness....nor my intention to hijack a thread that really has nothing to do with what I just said...it so happened that old-pal's quote triggered something in my mind...my own little totally unscientific lie-detector cum bs-shredder.:p

PQJ
05-19-2013, 10:20 AM
Harsh

Truth hurts.