PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to PayPal...

FlashUNC
05-16-2013, 01:53 PM
For those in the classifieds unhappy with PayPal for whatever reason, you'll soon be able to send funds via GMail and the Google Wallet:

http://gizmodo.com/google-wallet-will-let-you-attach-money-in-gmail-507569306

retrogrouchy
05-16-2013, 02:24 PM
What will it cost?

I'm not a flag-waver for PayPal, but they do a yeoman's job for me, and have done so for over a decade. My bank that processes Visa/MC for me absolutely sucks in comparison....

Anarchist
05-16-2013, 02:26 PM
For those in the classifieds unhappy with PayPal for whatever reason, you'll soon be able to send funds via GMail and the Google Wallet:

http://gizmodo.com/google-wallet-will-let-you-attach-money-in-gmail-507569306

Oh goodie, inviting Google even further into my once upon a time private life. I think Google know more than enough about me, thank you. They don't need to add the last remaining bits to their data mining super computers.

FlashUNC
05-16-2013, 02:51 PM
What will it cost?

I'm not a flag-waver for PayPal, but they do a yeoman's job for me, and have done so for over a decade. My bank that processes Visa/MC for me absolutely sucks in comparison....

2.9%, or free in some circumstances.

93legendti
05-16-2013, 02:51 PM
Dwolla

jr59
05-16-2013, 02:55 PM
US postal money orders!

binxnyrwarrsoul
05-16-2013, 03:11 PM
Oh goodie, inviting Google even further into my once upon a time private life. I think Google know more than enough about me, thank you. They don't need to add the last remaining bits to their data mining super computers.

Plus One Billion.

rice rocket
05-16-2013, 03:12 PM

If your Paypal address you're using is your Gmail, they already know.

binxnyrwarrsoul
05-16-2013, 03:16 PM

Yay, .1% savings. Free, as in paypal being free when you "gift," or "payment owed" and we (we including me) abuse it and they take it away, or "warn" you to stop it.

I'm no paypal apologist, but they provide a service, and charge for it. I know there's been folks here with a lot of issues with them (including me, their fee structure on ebay is ri-god-damned-diculous), me personally, I have had little to zero issues with them.

Aaron O
05-16-2013, 03:36 PM
Dwolla

I was just typing this. Dwolla is fantastic.

FlashUNC
05-16-2013, 04:00 PM
Yay, .1% savings. Free, as in paypal being free when you "gift," or "payment owed" and we (we including me) abuse it and they take it away, or "warn" you to stop it.

I'm no paypal apologist, but they provide a service, and charge for it. I know there's been folks here with a lot of issues with them (including me, their fee structure on ebay is ri-god-damned-diculous), me personally, I have had little to zero issues with them.

Structure's a bit different. Free when transferring money from one account to another. If using a credit or debit card via the Google Wallet, its the 2.9% fee.

Just think it might be a tad bit easier to click the attach money link from a GMail window when I'm chatting with a buyer or seller 99% of the time anyways.

Way more convenient than logging into PayPal, jumping through their 4-5 screens to pay someone, etc etc.

Wayne77
05-16-2013, 07:15 PM
Another vote for Dwolla.

.25 fee

nuff said.

branflakes
05-16-2013, 07:28 PM
dwolla as well

Ralph
05-16-2013, 07:40 PM
I never pay a fee to transfer a credit balance in Paypal to my bank account. Like PayPal just fine, but think they are too expensive when receiving funds. Good to see them get more and more competition. That market needs it.

TopQuark
05-16-2013, 11:08 PM
dwolla

+1

Louis
05-16-2013, 11:13 PM
Is there a way to limit how much money PP can take from a bank account?

What if an account gets hijacked? Could the bad guys then take all the $ from a linked checking account? If so, do one have any recourse, or are they SOL?

R3awak3n
05-16-2013, 11:17 PM
I am not sure new accounts can take more than $500 out so the hijacker would not be able to withdraw more than $500.

There is also amazon payments that I know people in my other forums use a lot.

norcalbiker
05-17-2013, 12:37 AM
Dwolla

May I ask what's "Dwolla" means? I like the word itself but I just want to make sure that I use it in the right context.

VonTrapp
05-17-2013, 12:56 AM
Maybe some healthy, big name competition will help the PayPal fee decrease?

pavel
05-17-2013, 01:12 AM
^this.

Otherwise, I want to watch the ebay/pp fee structure BURN.

Buzz!
05-17-2013, 01:12 AM
Months ago I went to Dwolla's website to understand how it works. It doesn't explain much except their dislike of credit cards and the fees associated with them. No response from their CS either? Love to know how funds are sent and received??

retrogrouchy
05-17-2013, 02:19 PM

PayPal only charges me 1.9%.

Bank charges me around 5% total now for Visa/MC - obscene.

retrogrouchy
05-17-2013, 02:26 PM
Is there a way to limit how much money PP can take from a bank account?

What if an account gets hijacked? Could the bad guys then take all the $ from a linked checking account? If so, do one have any recourse, or are they SOL?

When I started using PayPal (over ten years ago - I was hesitant but a friend who already used it urged me to 'go for it') I opened a new account at an S&L. I have no other accounts there, and there is rarely more than perhaps $1000 or so in it. I figure this way, should the very unlikely happen, the most I will lose is a few hundred Dollars. Zero problems with PayPal, and I do large amounts in and out of that account each year (now). If the PayPal account gets up to where I want to pull some funds out, a check costs $1.50 regardless of amount. Simple....

rnhood
05-17-2013, 02:37 PM
Zero problems with PayPal here too. First rate outfit.

witcombusa
05-17-2013, 04:29 PM
Just say no to all things "google"

I've never had any problems with paypal and not for lack of trying

neiltron
05-18-2013, 02:54 AM
I dislike PayPal's fees, their interface is disorganized and difficult to use (as a merchant), their website is S-L-O-W, customer support isn't great. I've sat on hold for 45+ minutes with them...They've had questionable business practices in the past as well.

Dwolla is great. More and more vendors I work with are using it, and everybody's happy.

ryker
05-18-2013, 03:08 AM
PayPal fees suck but keep in mind that a healthy part of the fees go straight to Visa/MC. I'm not aware of a better deal than 2.9% to use credit cards. And people love credit cards -- for cash flow, fraud protection, extended warranties, air miles, cash back, etc. These perks are a part of the reason the fees are so high.

binxnyrwarrsoul
05-18-2013, 04:55 PM
Good to see them get more and more competition. That market needs it.

Plus one.

lukasz
05-18-2013, 05:31 PM

At this point, what's the difference? Paypal still sucks. I'd never give them access to my bank account info. And after more than a decade I've finally come up on the $10,000 transfer limit on my account.

I'd like to start using Dwolla but seems like not many people do, and if there's no rush then hell yeah to money orders.