PDA

View Full Version : Custom Builders - which bikes have you had?

fuzzalow
05-16-2013, 08:15 AM
We have fans of custom bike builders here. So which ones have you had?

This topic might dovetail well with the thread MattTuck started about lessons learned from custom builders because every time I have gone down this road, I have learned something. Doesn't matter if it was the first custom from or whatever number you might be up to by now. - there is always something to be learned.

For some of us that have been in cycling a while, custom bikes were the only way to go in the early days: Good racing bikes were not that readliy available, the italian race bikes were coveted but very scarce to get State-side. Lightweight (22 pound) 10-speed (52/42x14-21) racing bikes were in their infancy in the US.

Only condition in listing a builder is it has to be a bike where you are the client. The bike listed was built for you and not bought pre-owned from a original client or marketplace.

For me, there were a few custom bikes in the beginning, a intermission of about 10 years until the newness of carbon, AL and Ti bikes wore off and a subsequent return to steel.

Dave Moulton - as a Paris Sport cycle because Dave was building out of the Fraysse brothers shop in Ridgefield (?) NJ. The bike did have Dave's interlocking "M" decal on the head tube

Francesco Cuevas - when he was building out of Astoria Queens NY. Ordered through his primary LBS dealer which was some bike shop on Roosevelt Ave. in Jackson Heights NY

Then a long break away from cycling and the whole infatuation with modern, high-tech materials

Roland Della Santa - time period is the early 2000's so now me as the client am dealing directly with the builder

Derosa King - this one never came to completion - the bike was in the pipeline but Derosa changed USA distributors a few times and my bike order was waylaid and changed in price enough times that I quit

Pegoretti - custom geo order placed through GITA

Vanilla - joined the list in 2007 and waited

Bruce Gordon - called the builder and placed an order

ergott
05-16-2013, 08:23 AM
Serotta Ottrott. Purchased through a dealer in NY. I gave them the geometry I wanted. I got what I wanted in time and was/am very happy.

Zanconato. Sent him the measurements he asked for. We chatted via email and phone about goals and purpose so he knew what the bike was for. I told him I wanted a legitimate race bike for cyclocross. I also wanted a pump peg and bottle cages so I could train with it. That's exactly what I got. I've done less racing and more gravel rides with it and it still does a great job for that.

I am in queue for at least two other frames with no set timeline and I didn't request one.

Bruce K
05-16-2013, 08:26 AM
Serotta: Concours (now with 93legendti) Ottrott, Meivici, Concours Cyclocross frame with polished hot rod flames

Zanconato: SS cross bike with eccentric bottom bracket for chain adjustment

Bedford: custom road bike with custom cut lug work and paint

BK

malcolm
05-16-2013, 08:35 AM
Kirk- I own two, one built for me the other bought from a forumite. I can't imagine an easier process than dealing with Dave.

Spectrum- While not built for me I did get it direct from Tom, it was built for someone else that backed out. He was very helpful in helping me determine if it would fit. It did like a glove and I still Have it.

Zank- built two coupled frames for me I never built up and have sold one here and still have another that I may get around to listing again. Very easy to deal with.

All the above I would do business with again without a second thought. I've owned numerous others but usually acquired from a previous owner.

jr59
05-16-2013, 09:02 AM
I'll list the ones that I have had a good experience with.

Spectrum- T.K. has built 2 ti bikes that I really like. 1 Road, and 1 rando

Ellis- I bought one from SamIam here on the forum, it fits very well and it has become my fav ride. So much so, I ordered another one from Dave Wages at the hand built show.

I'll leave this list incomplete, for I have had trouble with another builder, a well known builder, and his name is not RS.

So in other words, my post turns out to be a fanboy type post.

Oh yea, in before the lock!

T.J.
05-16-2013, 09:09 AM
Speedvagen~ as I would hope that most know, the greatest group of people to deal with. yes I did sale mine but that had nothing to do with the bike. if it wasn't for a refit i'd still be on it. there will be another one soon

Firefly~ picked it up from a buddy so no dealings with them but their rep speaks for itself. the bike freakin rocks btw

Taylor~ well you see I .....just kiddin':p

Aaron O
05-16-2013, 09:13 AM
My Marnati was built for me, Columbus MAX. I can't possibly recommend Daniele enough...he's a traditional Italian builder with years of experience making frames. I would probably stick to traditional style road bikes. I have ridden a lot of first rate bicycles, but this one does handle differently for me...nothing else I've ridden has quite the same pop or comfort level.

Daniele is probably not the builder for you if you need voluminous communication...and facilitating from Italy could potentially be an issue. He doesn't have a web site. If you want a master to make you a frame based on HIS experience, he is an excellent choice.

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad205/aolk67/Marnati/84115686-A03F-4BC3-B04A-77DD296999E2-2270-000002E72772AA49_zpsa8e3472d.jpg

toytech
05-16-2013, 09:24 AM
None of mine were built for me but bought used.
An extra small Paul Taylor. It was just a bit big for my wife so it went down the road. So so on detail, but the price was right.
A Fuso FRX by Dave Moulton. Awesome frame, no flaws that I could find and dead true on my frame table which never happens. Sold to buy more tools and missed.
Mikkelsen filet brazed road, would have never sold but a little big. For me this frame is the filet brazed frame all others will be judged by, it had filets like flowed glass. I have never seen a poor frame from Bernie though he will build you anything you ask for even if it is silly. A real underappreciated buildelr who deserves a place at the table with the greats imo.

SPOKE
05-16-2013, 09:24 AM
I first started buying custom frames/bikes in 1999.
Since that time I have had great experiences with 8 from Serotta, 2 each from Richard Sachs, Dave Kirk, & Kelly Bedford, and one from Tom Kellogg.
I still own all but one of these. (My 99' Legend went MIA on a return trip from CA).
I've had great experiences in every case.

toytech
05-16-2013, 09:26 AM
Nearly forgot the Bilenky which is unforgivable! probably the best touring tandem at any price I have seen.

Doug Fattic
05-16-2013, 09:27 AM
Well I don't fit the profile of the American buyer ordering a custom frame from an American builder that I'm sure you are looking for in this subject thread. I am a custom framebuilder although - as a always need to point out so there isn't confusion – my day job is to teach others how to build frames in framebuilding classes. In between classes I mostly do repaints on old Doug Fattic frames. I have however had custom frames made for me by European masters before I learned the trade.

In 1972 I had Italian correspondence with Faliero Masi (someone translated for me) to get a custom bicycle in Milan. It cost me $350 for the complete Campy equipped bicycle and I was delighted with the results :). I loved the cutout lugs and M in the bb shell. I still have the frame but sold the parts with a frame I made for one of my high school students in 75/76. That bike was stolen while he was in med school in Southern California.

In 1973 I had Alf make me a custom Hetchins frame (of course Alf wasn't the builder). I picked out the kind of lugs (spyder – a simpler design) and size (22 1/2") and color (dark green) but did not dictate other details. I paid somewhere between 50 and 60£ (I think the exchange rate was around $2.40 at the time). I've always liked some kind of artistic lug design. When I was apprenticing in England in 1975, I modified this frame a little and had it repainted blue. I also sold this to one of my high school students. She still has it.

In 1974 I had W.B. Hurlow (in my opinion the finest of the English builders) make me a sport touring frame so I could use wider tires with fenders and a rack. Again I left the details up to him except the size (22 1/2") and I wanted cut-out lugs. He suggested a flam red with light blue panels. I said sure. I liked the color okay but always thought it was a bit odd. I paid 50£ for it. I sold this bike to one of high school students in our bike club in 76 or 77. He crashed it and I replaced the top, head and down tubes as well as the head lugs. I've long ago lost track of him and the bike.

It has been a long time since I last made myself a frame and I should do it again. I've got some excellent guidelines to go on.

fuzzalow
05-16-2013, 09:53 AM
Well I don't fit the profile of the American buyer ordering a custom frame from an American builder that I'm sure you are looking for in this subject thread.

Naw, I'm not for being picayune. Any builder from anywhere as long as the bike was made for you, the client of said custom builder.

Gentlemen, this is intended as a positive thread, please, por favor, s'il vous plait, per cortesia...if you want to gripe then start a new thread to do that.

In a lifetime of cycling, never a bad experience with a custom builder. Even the DeRosa experience was exasperating but entirely due to the distributorship turmoil & the crazy way the product line was be repositioned for in the USA. I have never lost a dime.

juanj
05-16-2013, 09:55 AM
My first and only: ALLIANCE. Erik Rolf is a young frame builder who apprenticed with Carl Strong. I contacted him in April 2011 and we talked a lot by phone and email regarding goals and measurements. He was very patient with all my novice questions. Once I sent my deposit the bike (full build with Ultegra, minus wheels) was ready in 10 weeks as promised, and by late July 2011 I was riding it. Approaching 5,000 miles now without any problems. Beautiful and responsive bike. I see from Erik's website that he stays busy, building a lot of mountain and "all-rounder" bikes.

gone
05-16-2013, 10:03 AM
Several customs, all positive experiences:

Serotta Legend STS - my first custom frame. Kelly Bedford designed and built. Still have it, still love it.
Parlee Z1X - my first carbon custom frame. Bought when I was in Texas before they had a dealer there so I worked directly with Tom Rodi at Parlee. Still have it, still love it.
Kirk JK Special Terraplane - my first custom steel frame. Measurements to Dave and very detailed instructions to JB and it came back perfect. Still have it, still love it.
Hampsten Strada Bianca Ti - S&S coupled. Working with Steve was a pleasure. Just got this in January and it's already got 2500 miles on it (and I've got a lot of other bikes to ride).

My wife has a custom Kish Ti, S&S coupled. She loves it and the experience was also a positive one.

christian
05-16-2013, 10:15 AM
Gentlemen, this is intended as a positive thread, please, por favor, s'il vous plait, per cortesia...if you want to gripe then start a new thread to do that.Does that mean that if people had bad experiences with a custom builder, they shouldn't post?

My only custom bicycles to date were bought used, a Zanc cx bike and a Pegoretti. Both are/were delightful. I'm presently planning to get another Zanc and a Hampsten Strada Bianca in 2013/2014.

I actually think buying a recent used custom from a builder you'd consider is pretty smart, if possible. It'll tell you something about the finishing quality, the design preferences of the builder, and can usually be re-sold for little monetary loss.

danielpack22@ma
05-16-2013, 10:27 AM
Independent Fabrication (Crown Jewel) - Bought through LBS. Started with geometry from my Cervelo Soloist Team
Firefly - I went to Boston and met with Jamie and Tyler. I gave Kevin my thoughts on a do-it-all Club Racer type of bike and he drew up a winner.

I still have all of them, along with a bunch of other custom-for-someone else bikes...

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6200/6079708284_c8844a828f_b.jpg

Dan Le foot
05-16-2013, 10:31 AM
2 Serotta Legends
2 Sevens
2 Kish
1 Erikson

jeffreyt
05-16-2013, 10:31 AM
Jonny Cycles: Single speed/fixed cyclocross bike built by Jon Kendziera. This was my first fully custom bike. Jon was a great guy to work with, and he answered all my stupid questions. I love this bike and can't think that I'd ever sell it.

Engin: Relaxed road bike built around an all day riding geometry. Drew is just about my favorite person in the industry. Very opinionated and honest. I trust his opinions. It's a great bike and is still for sale in the classified, because I'm looking to have him build me a titanium Engin.

Pereira: Tony's original award winning Oregon Manifest city bike. Excellent quality overall with tons of details. Not handbuilt for me, but I am the first owner. If you haven't seen this bike, then take some time and do a google search.

JP Weigle: Another great guy with a ton of experience. Expect to spend 30 minutes or more just shooting the breeze talking about bikes. I have a beautiful classic looking ranndo bike that just rides superb.

Zanc: Mike's also a great guy to work with. I trusted his imput on my newest road bike and I'm very happy with how it turned out. I'd loive to have an aluminum Zanc when he starts selling them.

Jeff

sc53
05-16-2013, 10:33 AM
Serotta built me a CSI in 1996 and an Ottrott in 2005. I still own and ride both bikes but I never received a real "fit" until I ordered my Bedford last fall. Maybe I didn't really need one when I was young and fit! But I needed it this time so i went to see Smiley, and Kelly made me a beautiful well-fitting bike in the time promised (8 weeks).

ergott
05-16-2013, 10:35 AM
Does that mean that if people had bad experiences with a custom builder, they shouldn't post?

My opinion is they shouldn't post here. Keep this one for some good news. Good news is you know, good and all that.

fuzzalow
05-16-2013, 10:46 AM
Does that mean that if people had bad experiences with a custom builder, they shouldn't post?

My opinion is they shouldn't post here. Keep this one for some good news. Good news is you know, good and all that.

Gentlemen, the request was to list the bikes that you as a client have obtained from custom builders. What the members reading this thread get out of this is an overall view as to which builders have been chosen to do a commission by the Paceline members here.

Surely you can do just that simple thing in furthering a friendly, open discussion without using it as an opportunity to vent your spleen, yes?

jmoore
05-16-2013, 10:54 AM
1 Spicer aluminum track bike
1 Kelly Bedford steel roadie

both experiences great and I'd 100% recommend either again

mister
05-16-2013, 10:56 AM
bill davidson - only custom i've had that was built for me
easy experience, talked about what i wanted the bike for ("all arounder") and what i expected it to do. he said he still rides an all arounder he built for himself many many years ago and then he described what the design would be like. i have an ok understanding of how all that works and it sounded right.

i've had it 3 or 4 years now, i don't think it could be done better.

on tube selection and design i let him do whatever he thought would work well, and it does.

vav
05-16-2013, 10:57 AM
23 posts. Only 1 pic :no:

Would love to see more of the bikes mentioned here :)

Custom for someone else but fits me very well:

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/?ui=2&ik=7222878b00&view=att&th=13cf557c9ea726d6&attid=0.5&disp=inline&realattid=1427453584461529088-5&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P8ycmx2YR7Yd-8FnOozmxyf&sadet=1361326416877&sads=ArID2VnCFpelotvGS-b1yhG215I

cmg
05-16-2013, 10:58 AM
Curtlo S3 first shot at a custom. She liked the rollers.
Prolitariat S3 mix, a very stiff BB, it was a rocket.
Kish Ti sl butted tubing, current all rounder, she's fast, rides like steel and it has 8cm of BB drop. Very cool.

and a whole bunch that were custom for somebody else.

GRAVELBIKE
05-16-2013, 11:05 AM
Ibis - MTB, serial #95 (TIG welded)
Land Shark - pre-29'er (fillet brazed)
Rock Lobster - MTB (TIG welded)
Mercian - KOM Touring (lugged)

Dave B
05-16-2013, 11:05 AM
1 DeSalvo
4 Moots (I count them)
2 Serottas
1 Hampstem (Done by IF)
A few IF's

Have enjoyed most of them.

Here are some pics. Cris took a few of my old ones off of my name as other people own them now. Here are a few of ther good ones.

http://www.ifrider.com/?s=Dave+bradley

fuzzalow
05-16-2013, 11:09 AM
23 posts. Only 1 pic :no:

Would love to see more of the bikes mentioned here :)

All custom, all built for me.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-F34cT1p4oVQ/UGI8cxaj6gI/AAAAAAAAAJM/jNdFtjYU7Xw/s640/Peg-Side01.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-iKVESDHK4_4/UYJ2Qa8wWwI/AAAAAAAAAWU/onnek1KDk1I/s640/dsc00258.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-sxX9CmAL7RI/UW_5fPLmzEI/AAAAAAAAAVU/qA2z1X_EE9c/s640/dsc00251.jpg

christian
05-16-2013, 11:13 AM
Gentlemen, the request was to list the bikes that you as a client have obtained from custom builders. What the members reading this thread get out of this is an overall view as to which builders have been chosen to do a commission by the Paceline members here.My fear, based on the post below, as a for instance, is that you get a biased sample if you propose that people only post positive experiences; my intuition is that 95+% of all custom buying experiences are positive -- every person I ride with who has a custom loves it.

I'll list the ones that I have had a good experience with.

[snip]

I'll leave this list incomplete, for I have had trouble with another builder, a well known builder, and his name is not RS.

Surely you can do just that simple thing in furthering a friendly, open discussion without using it as an opportunity to vent your spleen, yes?I think we can do without the talking down to and dictating of terms of discussion. No one is talking about venting any ire, but it's a discussion forum, not a "listing" forum. If people want to discuss their experiences, that seems reasonably inbounds.

As for me, I haven't had a bike since the mid nineties I didn't like. They're all pretty good these days I think, possibly early-aughts small-sized Cervelos excepted.

velotel
05-16-2013, 11:16 AM
First custom built for me was in '86, a Salsa mountain bike built by Ross Shafer. Later five other mountain bikes but they were all copies of the Salsa but in different materials. That was in '87 I think. One was a beautiful (but heavy) Fisher, a Merlin, a Litespeed, a couple I've forgotten. First road bike a Litespeed built for me. Last road bike built for me an Eriksen. Still have most of the bikes though some are in my son's mountain bike collection. All were custom, built for me, not someone else.

ergott
05-16-2013, 11:20 AM
Oh you want pics.

This was freshly built up.

http://ergottwheels.smugmug.com/Sports/The-bikes/i-C2PpTd8/0/XL/Zanconato%20original-XL.jpg

Now (D2R2 180k ready)

http://ergottwheels.smugmug.com/Sports/The-bikes/i-FjLJjFb/0/XL/IMG_0351-XL.jpg

Favorite pic of the Ottrott
http://ergottwheels.smugmug.com/Sports/The-bikes/i-SV66HkJ/0/XL/_MG_3913-XL.jpg

More Serotta pics when it's built back up.

93legendti
05-16-2013, 11:30 AM
Carl Strong 6/4 ti compact. Fantastic. Should have kept.
Tom Kelloogg ti S&S compact. Fantastic. Should have kept.
Dave Kirk JKS Terraplane. Fantastic.

Serotta:
Ottrott ST
Concours
HC Cx
All fantastic and still here.

All of these Serottas have gone, only the steel Fierte's left me cold:

'93 Legend
Rapid Tourer
3 CSi's
Fierte
Fierte
Fierte Cx
Ti Fierte
Legend ST- really miss this one
Ottrott ST Kodak
Ottrott
Concours Compact
HC

dave thompson
05-16-2013, 11:43 AM
My turn.

Kirk. My first custom. Dave's first bike for a customer. Returned to Dave a year later to be converted to a Terraplane, first one for a customer.

Taylor. I took advantage of Paul's San Diego bike show offer and in my case, everything turned out well.

Milholland. From Greg Morris, a young builder I met at the Seattle bike show. He's no longer building under his name, he now works for Sacha at Vanilla.

Tsunami. An interesting buying experience but a terrific bike.

If/when I have another bike made for me, I will go to the builder to spend the time with him so they can understand what I like and need in a bike.

laupsi
05-16-2013, 11:43 AM
Oh you want pics.

This was freshly built up.

http://ergottwheels.smugmug.com/Sports/The-bikes/i-C2PpTd8/0/XL/Zanconato%20original-XL.jpg

Now (D2R2 180k ready)

http://ergottwheels.smugmug.com/Sports/The-bikes/i-FjLJjFb/0/XL/IMG_0351-XL.jpg

Favorite pic of the Ottrott
http://ergottwheels.smugmug.com/Sports/The-bikes/i-SV66HkJ/0/XL/_MG_3913-XL.jpg

More Serotta pics when it's built back up.

That Ottrott is oh so very special, WoW-Wee!!!

spacemen3
05-16-2013, 11:54 AM
Rivendell All-Rounder - Grant Petersen was great to deal with. A nice bike to ride with so many beautiful design details. However, I never warmed up to the moustache bars, bar-end shifters, and Brooks saddle.

Aaron O
05-16-2013, 11:54 AM
That Ottrott is oh so very special, WoW-Wee!!!
What on Earth is that crank?

christian
05-16-2013, 12:02 PM
SRM Powermeter.

mister
05-16-2013, 01:16 PM
here is a not so great pic.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7285/8745202238_5284dbf7cb_b.jpg

206campyrick
05-16-2013, 01:50 PM
I've got a bit of an unusual body proportions and great flexibility, so custom is pretty much a necessity for me. I have the following Customs:
1. Parlee Z1 road
2. Parlee Z1 track
3. Colnago C59
4. De Rosa Protos
5. Hampsten/Moots Ti rain bike
Since i have short legs, long torso, and good flexibility, my position has evolved to roughly a 55cm seat tube(level), 58.5cm top tube, 12cm stem, 73 degree seat tube, 10cm of saddle to bar drop. Most stock bikes that have the top tube i need are way too bike in the seat tube.

retrogrouchy
05-16-2013, 02:08 PM
I first started buying custom frames/bikes in 1999.
Since that time I have had great experiences with 8 from Serotta, 2 each from Richard Sachs, Dave Kirk, & Kelly Bedford, and one from Tom Kellogg.
I still own all but one of these. (My 99' Legend went MIA on a return trip from CA).
I've had great experiences in every case.

Where did you say your dental practice was located? :banana: :rolleyes:

tommyrod74
05-16-2013, 02:11 PM
All custom, all built for me.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-F34cT1p4oVQ/UGI8cxaj6gI/AAAAAAAAAJM/jNdFtjYU7Xw/s640/Peg-Side01.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-iKVESDHK4_4/UYJ2Qa8wWwI/AAAAAAAAAWU/onnek1KDk1I/s640/dsc00258.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-sxX9CmAL7RI/UW_5fPLmzEI/AAAAAAAAAVU/qA2z1X_EE9c/s640/dsc00251.jpg

Can I ask how tall you are? Those bikes look like they were built for me (I like a slack seat angle and to be way behind the BB, with a short enough TT to run a long-ish stem and lots of drop...) - hard to find stock bikes that work.

retrogrouchy
05-16-2013, 02:12 PM
Gentlemen, the request was to list the bikes that you as a client have obtained from custom builders. What the members reading this thread get out of this is an overall view as to which builders have been chosen to do a commission by the Paceline members here.

Surely you can do just that simple thing in furthering a friendly, open discussion without using it as an opportunity to vent your spleen, yes?

Your OP didn't say 'only if the experience was a good one.' So what is the ruling?

Just sayin'....

weisan
05-16-2013, 02:14 PM
One custom bike so far, and looking at my future disposable income projections, more likely than not it's going to be my last but that's okay because the custom frame builder completely and utterly nailed it for me. He has single-handedly killed or cured my bike lust depending on your perspective, which in itself is no small feat, as this is bike #15 or 16 after a string of high-end carbon, titanium and steel bikes over the last 10+ years.

Before the build process, I took the time to write up a 4-page long description of very specific details on how I want the bike to ride and what I will be using it for. The builder was very impressed.

Maybe i got lucky...communication was fine throughout the build process, within reason, understand that everybody got a life, spoke on the phone at least once every 1-2 weeks ...until towards the end, near delivery date, start to become a bit flaky...can sense that perhaps he was not telling me the whole truth about where he was, took some arm-twisting to finally get it in my hands, in the end, it was about two months later than promised.

Paid $1300 + $100 shipping total- unreal, perhaps once-in-a-lifetime deal.

End product - everything I asked for and more...I didn't quite realize just how much a difference it will make to be riding on a bike built specifically for me and to my preference. It was earth-shattering.

Had been my singular dedicated ride for the last four years...never fail to impress. It's one hell of a bike.

The frame builder - Mr. Paul Taylor

retrogrouchy
05-16-2013, 02:18 PM
Who is he? ;)

shovelhd
05-16-2013, 02:26 PM
ergott, just wow.

My only custom was a 1980's Ted Wojcik. Long gone.

sevencyclist
05-16-2013, 02:32 PM
1. 2003 Seven Verve Hardtail MTB, 2 months wait. Light 21.3 lbs and agile. Problem was Fox fork crown knobs did not clear downtube in the design, and I had so much chainsuck issues with moisture. Also rim brakes, so somewhat out of date for MTB. Now serves well as a commuter for my son to school.

2. 2008 Richard Sachs, 34 months wait. Not the lightest at 21 lbs, but comfortable and smooth. Killed my lust for getting another roadbike. I look at bikes, but have not felt the need to own another roadbike.

4. 2012 Coconino Rohloff Hardtail MTB, 8 months wait. Sturdy 26.5 lbs and comfortable. Intuitive handling. Mudproof.

3. On queue for 2013 Peter Weigle randonneur bike. Order placed 2009.

SPOKE
05-16-2013, 02:37 PM
Where did you say your dental practice was located? :banana: :rolleyes:

Too funny.....I actually sell cutting tools to machine shops for a living. Not nearly as lucrative as a well run dental practice......:(

etu
05-16-2013, 02:56 PM
2001 - Landshark road bike, you never forget your first!
2007 - Landshark all-arounder
2008 - Landshark carbon road
2009 - Strong Ti all-arounder
2011 - Alliance road
2012 - Alliance FS Mtn Bike

great bikes, keeping my Strong Ti, Alliance road and Landshark all-arounder.

DRZRM
05-16-2013, 03:08 PM
Lots of used customs for other folks (two frames built by two different builders for the same guy who must be my twin).

For me...

1994 Fat Chance Wicked, picked it up from Chris at the Somerville factory, didn't know they were about to move in with Serotta.

2012/13 Zanc 29er. Went in to his shop for measurement, talked bikes and fit for a while, few months later picked up my dream bike.

alexstar
05-16-2013, 03:13 PM
I have two bikes which were built for me - a Gaulzetti Corsa and a Rock Lobster 29er. The Gaulzetti handles like a dream. Craig was great to work with and very professional. He took my fit numbers and translated them into a fantastic bicycle that is by far my favorite ride. The Rock Lobster was a recent purchase and I'm still building it up, so I can't say how it rides yet, but Paul builds a great bike and is a pleasure to work with. I would recommend both of them without hesitation.

I recently got in line for a Kirk JKS X Terraplane, can't wait.

Alex

fuzzalow
05-16-2013, 04:11 PM
This forum has been likened to a friendly pub or a large social gathering.

I tend to look at it more like a dinner party where you can sit at the Paceline table and either just listen in or say as much or as little as you want. Most people that have experienced this know how to mind their manners, be respectful to others and not to unduly sidetrack or disrupt the conversation simply because they haven't anything to say or desire attention.

There is also often a separate table where the children are seated. Their world has none of the experiences yet of the adults, they can't relate with or care about topics of adult conversation and they are incapable of joining the flow of conversation with the adults anyway.

I speak to everyone here like we are all seated at the Paceline dinner table. I accord everyone at the table respect as intelligent, mature equals and adults.

Your OP didn't say 'only if the experience was a good one.' So what is the ruling?

Just sayin'....

Yes, you are correct. My OP did not say that. It was on purpose. How interesting could a one-sided conversation be that wouldn't include both the good and bad?

I was counting on the sophistication and the maturity of the person making the comment. They would have the skill in adding to the conversation in making a negative point about a builder that other adults could pick up on. Without venting their spleen, without an adolescents sense of self-absorption and lack of grace that would demand to train-wreck a conversation so that they can air their blunt opinion.

My turn.

Kirk. My first custom. Dave's first bike for a customer. Returned to Dave a year later to be converted to a Terraplane, first one for a customer.

Taylor. I took advantage of Paul's San Diego bike show offer and in my case, everything turned out well.

Milholland. From Greg Morris, a young builder I met at the Seattle bike show. He's no longer building under his name, he now works for Sacha at Vanilla.

Tsunami. An interesting buying experience but a terrific bike.

If/when I have another bike made for me, I will go to the builder to spend the time with him so they can understand what I like and need in a bike.

Understood.

rounder
05-16-2013, 09:26 PM
Two Kelly Bedford bikes. A lugged steel road bike and and a ti cross bike. Love them both.. No complaints.

Peter B
05-16-2013, 09:37 PM
My first custom was a Steve Rex randonneur in 2005. I was looking for a purpose built coupled frameset for the longest brevets and light touring duty. Steve was local to me and I knew his work from a number of friends. Knowledgeable, gracious, skilled. He sized me up and delivered exactly what I requested on schedule. Still riding it today.

My second experience was with Steve Potts. I wanted a ti fixed gear for ultras and PBP in 2007. I knew my fit and the few simple details I needed. Probably gave too much input into the process but Steve took it in stride and turned out a great frame. Had a minor crankarm clearance issue that he resolved immediately. Super knowledgeable and about the friendliest guy you'll meet. Delivery took a bit longer than hoped for but I had it in time for my event. Many, many happy miles on it since.

The third was a DeSalvo 10AE. I knew my contact points and relayed those to Mike along with several specific requests. He nailed the build and delivered as promised. Even invited me to stop by the shop as I passed thru Ashland on the Potts so I could see the build in progress. Easy going, skilled, straightforward and recommended.

My fourth was a stunning Llewellyn. I'd met Dazza at NAHBS in Portland and nearly bought his show bike but the fit was a bit off so he steered me away. I contacted him later that year, chatted a bit, got in the queue and waited. Several months later he contacted me but I wasn't quite ready. Next slot opened and he emailed again. This time we quickly worked through the details and a drawing was signed off. Many build photos followed, then a shipping notice. The frameset built up spot on and exceeded all expectations. Truly a gem. The completed bike is nice too.

Next was a semi-custom RoadVagen. Again, simple communication and a smooth process. Took a bit longer than stated, but they went through a bike show and move during the run so I was prepared for a delay. Had it in time to ride for the season so no worries. There was an issue with the Enve seatmast topper that was resolved quickly and professionally.

The last was a Bike Friday One Way Tikit. Communication was simple, bike arrived on time. No problems. They later issued a recall on the stems and handled the matter very professionally. Wouldn't hesitate to go back for another.

My takeaways from these experiences:

1) Know or learn your contact points.
2) Find a builder experienced in your preferred material/style.
3) Clearly relay your fit info and wants.
4) Trust your builder and let them do their job.
5) Chose a color.
6) If you must have the bike for a specific event order early.

Jack Brunk
05-16-2013, 11:12 PM
I could write a book.......

Great outcomes....
Issues with frames etc.
Issues with builders etc.
Mostly good outcomes....

It's only entertainment.

scrubadub
05-16-2013, 11:23 PM
Spectrum (not sure why I can't find any full shots, but it's getting rebuilt from the ground up anyway)
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7287/8744121277_f43fb16639_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lyenhuang/8744121277/)

and my Zanconato.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8524/8546519736_3974029826_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lyenhuang/8546519736/)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8243/8545420927_0a59404526_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lyenhuang/8545420927/)

Both Tom and Mike were great to work with. I'm a big fan of describing the riding I want to do and letting the experts sort out everything else. One of these days I'll get a custom bike that isn't lugged steel, but the next incoming one is also lugged steel (RS, been on the waitlist since 2006-7ish).

sbparker31
05-17-2013, 12:40 AM
I have had a number of custom bikes built for me, including road, track and mountain.

1. Serotta Ready-Custom Colorado road bike. This was spec'd out and purchased through Lee Bridgers of Dreamride Bikes in Moab, Utah. Since I am a fairly "average" guy, the ready custom 52" Serotta worked perfectly fine. The frame is modern shaped steel with top notch TIG welds and beautiful paint. An excellent value. I bought my parts kit and wheels from forumite Akelman (Campy Record 11 speed, 3!!! sets of wheels including Campy Hyperons). Overall, I put together a top notch custom road bike with the best components for less than 4K.

2. Spicer Custom Steel Track Sprinter Bike. One day I hit the jackpot and bought an old italian steel track bike with all 1960's era Campy pista components for $400 off Craigslist. The frame was basically a rusted out throwaway, but the parts (after some elbow grease) were pristine. I had Gene Spicer build me a True-Temper TIG welded track frame. I did my own custom paint. The frame was first powdercoated Kawasaki green. I covered the green frame with vinyl barbed wire sticker, and then painted over with 2-stage custom Mercedes Benz paint. After peeling off the vinyl masking, the paint job was phenomenal -- exceeding anything I have every seen, and I did it myself. Now picture this frame with mirror-polished 1960's Campy Record pista. . .

3. Dreamride 69'er Mountain Bike. Again, I had Lee Bridgers at Dreamride Bikes in Moab, Utah build me a custom Dreamride 69'er. Lee specs his frames completely custom from Sheldon Gibson at Ventana in California. This bike was completely custom spec'd for me, including custom paint that included a hand brushed feather (by Lee) on the downtube.

UNFORTUNATELY

This bike was stolen from my garage! So thanks to the great claims service at USAA insurance, I received full replacement value for the bike. Given that I had ridden the prior bike for two years and knew its stengths and weaknesses, I called Lee again to spec out the ultimate bike. So we worked together to build a bike for my and my environment (Boulder and Aspen, CO). The next build was another Dreamride (Ventana) 69'er, with the perfect frame geometry for steep climbs and fast downhills. Components were all XT, with latest Fox suspension, and the crowning touch -- Enve Carbon Wheels with Chris Kink Hubs. This is a 6" travel, totally bombproof all mountain bike that weighs in at 28 lbs.

If anyone wants pictures, I'm happy to post. Anyway, the bottom line is that working with a good builder is well worth any additional cost that might be incurred.

Steve

Oh, and by the way, Lee is a Pegoretti dealer -- And I know that he has a couple of frames in stock -- I know for sure he has a Love #3 in 54cm, and I think he has a same size Marcelo -- so look him up on the internet (www.dreambike.com) and buy one of his frames. You can't go wrong!

sbparker31
05-17-2013, 01:11 AM
I have had a number of custom bikes built for me, including road, track and mountain.

1. Serotta Ready-Custom Colorado road bike. This was spec'd out and purchased through Lee Bridgers of Dreamride Bikes in Moab, Utah. Since I am a fairly "average" guy, the ready custom 52" Serotta worked perfectly fine. The frame is modern shaped steel with top notch TIG welds and beautiful paint. An excellent value. I bought my parts kit and wheels from forumite Akelman (Campy Record 11 speed, 3!!! sets of wheels including Campy Hyperons). Overall, I put together a top notch custom road bike with the best components for less than 4K.

2. Spicer Custom Steel Track Sprinter Bike. One day I hit the jackpot and bought an old italian steel track bike with all 1960's era Campy pista components for $400 off Craigslist. The frame was basically a rusted out throwaway, but the parts (after some elbow grease) were pristine. I had Gene Spicer build me a True-Temper TIG welded track frame. I did my own custom paint. The frame was first powdercoated Kawasaki green. I covered the green frame with vinyl barbed wire sticker, and then painted over with 2-stage custom Mercedes Benz paint. After peeling off the vinyl masking, the paint job was phenomenal -- exceeding anything I have every seen, and I did it myself. Now picture this frame with mirror-polished 1960's Campy Record pista. . .

3. Dreamride 69'er Mountain Bike. Again, I had Lee Bridgers at Dreamride Bikes in Moab, Utah build me a custom Dreamride 69'er. Lee specs his frames completely custom from Sheldon Gibson at Ventana in California. This bike was completely custom spec'd for me, including custom paint that included a hand brushed feather (by Lee) on the downtube.

UNFORTUNATELY

This bike was stolen from my garage! So thanks to the great claims service at USAA insurance, I received full replacement value for the bike. Given that I had ridden the prior bike for two years and knew its stengths and weaknesses, I called Lee again to spec out the ultimate bike. So we worked together to build a bike for my and my environment (Boulder and Aspen, CO). The next build was another Dreamride (Ventana) 69'er, with the perfect frame geometry for steep climbs and fast downhills. Components were all XT, with latest Fox suspension, and the crowning touch -- Enve Carbon Wheels with Chris Kink Hubs. This is a 6" travel, totally bombproof all mountain bike that weighs in at 28 lbs.

If anyone wants pictures, I'm happy to post. Anyway, the bottom line is that working with a good builder is well worth any additional cost that might be incurred.

Steve

sbparker31
05-17-2013, 01:22 AM

UNFORTUNATELY

Steve

beeatnik
05-17-2013, 02:26 AM
One Sizemore Single Speed CX

Saw a deal on a hip blog. Figured why not try custom for a bike I wouldn't be riding much. So not too much invested emotionally. In the end the process was very personal and the bike had a lot of personality. Not the best looking welds, not the best looking paint, a couple of key specs were off. I think in the end that made me like the bike more. Anyway, Taylor Sizemore is a good guy, builds a bike that rides right.

gone
05-17-2013, 03:20 AM
Since pictures were requested, here are the bikes I've had custom made for me that I mentioned earlier in the thread. Still have and love them all. Posted in order of acquisition:

The Serotta Legend STS

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p170/ghsmith54/My%20Fleet%20of%20Bikes/DSC_0233_edited-2_zps280c85f0.jpg (http://s128.photobucket.com/user/ghsmith54/media/My%20Fleet%20of%20Bikes/DSC_0233_edited-2_zps280c85f0.jpg.html)

The Parlee Z1X

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p170/ghsmith54/My%20Fleet%20of%20Bikes/DSC_0222_edited-1_zps1eb88415.jpg (http://s128.photobucket.com/user/ghsmith54/media/My%20Fleet%20of%20Bikes/DSC_0222_edited-1_zps1eb88415.jpg.html)

The Kirk

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p170/ghsmith54/My%20Fleet%20of%20Bikes/DSC_0210_zpsc06613ad.jpg (http://s128.photobucket.com/user/ghsmith54/media/My%20Fleet%20of%20Bikes/DSC_0210_zpsc06613ad.jpg.html)

The Hampsten

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p170/ghsmith54/My%20Fleet%20of%20Bikes/IMG_20130128_113806_471_zps6132c911.jpg (http://s128.photobucket.com/user/ghsmith54/media/My%20Fleet%20of%20Bikes/IMG_20130128_113806_471_zps6132c911.jpg.html)

oldpotatoe
05-17-2013, 07:41 AM
One R-32, stainless, fancy lugs, really pretty but long wheelbase, looked like a Grandpaw bike. Not my idea, long story-sold to gent in the UK.

Present R-22, standard bike, opted for 1 inch head tube, fork, rides great BUT

I ride my Merckx, my favorite and it will remain so. Wet weather bike is a Custom Moots Vamoots.

Mikej
05-17-2013, 07:55 AM
Kent Eriksen road and Mtb. Good guy I really like that he really likes bikes, you know it's not just his job. Excellent craftsmanship and end product always early on delivery reasonable price to me. Would buy my next bike from him if they will put up with my late night calls etc....

rjfr
05-17-2013, 09:04 AM
I have two custom bikes. Each serves a different purpose. Each is a dream to ride.
- Cyfac Absolu V2. All carbon with Di2. Worked primarily with Aymeric Le Brun at the factory to work out details of the geometry. Custom paint along the guidelines of the production template. Very happy with the result. Di2 is the icing on the cake. This is my fair weather bike.

- Ellis Rando. All steel, combination of tubes, with lots of polished KVA stainless. My long distance and wet weather bike, though it works just fine in the sunshine. With all the polished surfaces, probably not fun to ride behind me in the sunlight:eek: Dave Wages really works with you to get it right! Really love this bike.
Lots of pictures in the builders gallery.

Fishbike
05-17-2013, 09:38 AM
Tig-welded Davidson sloper road bike with Reynolds 853. We did the order by phone and email. Great experience. They were very reponsive, very informative and very efficient. The bike is probably my most nimble. Sometimes I think it is so perfect it is boring.

Fancy lugged Circle A with True Temper and Deda. I went to the shop. Another very fun experience with very talented, detail-oriented, responsive folks. The bike is just what I envisioned. These guys excel at painting as well as designing / building. Indeed, I even had them repaint an old frame after I received my custom frame.

I have also ordered a Pelizzoli from Italy and a Hetchins from the UK. At the time I felt I was taking a little bit of a risk with both -- ordered solely through email. But both frames turned out great and met my expectations for the reasonable cost, but the paint on both is not quite on par with the best US painters. Both ride similarly.

bluesea
05-17-2013, 10:38 AM
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8526/8684750424_798d47c338_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pigmode/8684750424/)
DSC00161 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pigmode/8684750424/) by pigmode (http://www.flickr.com/people/pigmode/), on Flickr

fa63
05-17-2013, 10:45 AM
So far, two Tsunamis (both built for me) and one Zanconato (built for someone else, but fits me well).

After getting the Zanconato, I haven't really ridden the Tsunamis much...

David Kirk
05-17-2013, 11:17 AM
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8526/8684750424_798d47c338_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pigmode/8684750424/)
DSC00161 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pigmode/8684750424/) by pigmode (http://www.flickr.com/people/pigmode/), on Flickr

Simple in the best sense of the word.

dave

AngryScientist
05-17-2013, 11:40 AM
as some of you know, i just received my first custom bike, made for me, from Marty and the gang at GeekHouse bikes.

while i have not actually ridden it yet, i will say that the whole experience was flawless. from a trip up to Boston to get fitted at their cool shop to good communication to ahead-of-schedule (gasp!) delivery.

I had originally told Marty that i wanted my frame done by Father's Day, as a present to myself, and he delivered weeks ahead of that promise. i have nothing but good things to say about the whole process.

Bob Ross
05-17-2013, 01:16 PM
I'm in the queue for a Sachs, does that count?:banana:

My only other (or "non-anticipated") custom bike is this TIG-welded S&S coupled steel road bike that Carl Strong built me in 2010:

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu144/Dildo-Boy/BobR1.jpg

And you couldn't pry that bike from my cold dead hands.

retrogrouchy
05-17-2013, 02:09 PM
Two recent customs:

1. Curt Goodrich Sportif

2. Erik Noren Road.

... and I'd love to have a Chris Kvale Road. Maybe I should stop fixating on the Twin Cities? I don't even live there! :eek:

They do have lots of frame builders, though.

merlinmurph
05-17-2013, 02:17 PM
No customs - yet.

One thing I see from reading this thread is something I always pay attention to when trying to decide where to buy something.

Generally, it doesn't matter if problems are encountered. What does matter is how those problems are handled and (hopefully) resolved. The guys that get my business are the ones that are professional and work to resolve the issue.

This works both ways, too. In other words, don't be a dick. First, if the issue is actually your fault, man up, admit it, and work with the builder to resolve the issue. Most likely, that involves $$$$ - suck it up, you just stole someone's time. For other issues, be a gentleman, be patient and work it out.

Enjoy your ride,
Murph

christian
05-17-2013, 02:37 PM
Maybe I should stop fixating on the Twin Cities? I don't even live there!No, I think you're doing it right. I'm mad in love with Kvales. Cookietruck's purple one is the finest bike in the land.

LouDeeter
05-17-2013, 03:23 PM
Only two of the seven hundred plus I've owned were actually built for me, a Brian Baylis and Jonathan Greene.

mister
05-17-2013, 03:30 PM
No, I think you're doing it right. I'm mad in love with Kvales. Cookietruck's purple one is the finest bike in the land.

thanks, it's not custom to me so i didn't mention it.

you have to see something like that in person to truly grasp how nice the workmanship is.
it's even original paint...from 1985...

bking
05-17-2013, 05:18 PM
one kirk and my wife has one to match.
one kirk on the way
one pegoretti
one pegoretti off the shelf
one sachs built for me but stopped first at another guys house
one ti seven
one ti/carbon seven
one speedvagen, very sexy stays, lots of complements about my behind...
one llewellyn
one long co motion
some others off the self.

Climb01742
05-17-2013, 06:45 PM
I could write a book....

I'd read it.;)

retrogrouchy
05-17-2013, 08:09 PM
No, I think you're doing it right. I'm mad in love with Kvales. Cookietruck's purple one (Kvale) is the finest bike in the land.

Link to pics.? I probably shouldn't look at it, though, because I'll bet it's fabulous....

christian
05-17-2013, 08:21 PM
Mister/Cookietruck will have to share all the details...but here are the pics.

(ready?)

(really?)

(it's really really hot!)

(ok, here it is)

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5279/7052161687_c696839282_b.jpg

Joachim
05-17-2013, 08:28 PM
Yep, Kvale and Cherubim are on my list for something after the current two project I have with other builders are finished.

gomango
05-17-2013, 09:28 PM

(ready?)

(really?)

(ok, here it is)

Came close to picking up this frame at one point myself.

It is perhaps the prettiest bicycle I have ever seen in person. imho

I ended up with three Kvales anyway.

This is the newest, the older one I adore is up at the cabin.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7227/7330347860_e056807f8d_b.jpg

Have a beautiful Kvale frameset available if we could make it fit you.

At a decent price as well.

mcteague
05-18-2013, 06:17 AM
1980 something Condor Italia Reynolds 531- long ago, old school custom, not a full measurement thing. They just took some really basic dimensions and knocked out a frame. Rode really nice though until a car wrecked it and messed me up a bit as well.

2002 Seven Axiom db Ti. Wonderful bike, still have it.

2013 Seven 622 SLX Carbon Ti blend. Even better than the Axiom and that is saying something.

Tim

Len J
05-18-2013, 06:51 AM
2003 legend ti. Allowed fitter to talk me into lower position, unfortunately, back fracture never allowed me to get there, hated the aesthetics of the needed spacers. Sold it

2004 Ottrott SE. Fixed all the unhappy aspects of the legend. Still have it and love the ride. Next winter I'm planning a repaint.

2004 Kirk terraplane fixed gear w room for fat tires & fenders. Dave suggested 1" tubes for a retro look, gave joe Bell freedom on paint. Thought about every piece that went on the bike. Love the way it turned out. Dave was awesome to work with.

2007 Sachs Signiture. Took Ottrott to richies shop for the fitting. Rode w him, talked, then waited. Then went back to personally pick up the bike. Fits like a glove, confidence inspiring, awesome bike. Cured me of bike lust.

Custom for someone else, but fit me like a glove. 2005 Serotta CIII S&S coupled travel bike.

Len

fuzzalow
05-18-2013, 07:20 AM
There is far greater depth of experience in custom bike builders here in this forum than I could have guessed at. All credit to everyone for sharing their bikes and a snippet or two of their insights in going custom. Truly impressive.

Being able to access the members here about custom bike smarts is like striking oil in tapping into the knowledge reserves of the membership. This is not true for guys here like Jack Brunk and others - you gentlemen are less like an oil well and more like Saudi Arabia.

William
05-18-2013, 08:22 AM
I have had three bikes built for me, two from Serotta and one Zanconato. All three were on time flawless builds and I would buy from both of them again.

The issue I had with the Serotta builds was a fitter problem that had nothing to do with the fine construction standards of the builder.

One of the forum members contacted me recently and we suspect this might be one of my frames built by Kelly...

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h420/SodaFuel/Fixie%20wheels/CSI_zps8997121e.jpg (http://s1108.photobucket.com/user/SodaFuel/media/Fixie%20wheels/CSI_zps8997121e.jpg.html)

This one was built by Dave and was originally the classic red/yellow fade. Now owned by another forum member...

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h420/SodaFuel/Skunkbird2.jpg (http://s1108.photobucket.com/user/SodaFuel/media/Skunkbird2.jpg.html)

And of course, the Effin Zank! I went to Mike's shop to get fitted and discuss the build and what I wanted out of it. All I can say is Mike nailed it and killed my bike lust for a while.

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h420/SodaFuel/Fixie%20wheels/IMG_1330.jpg (http://s1108.photobucket.com/user/SodaFuel/media/Fixie%20wheels/IMG_1330.jpg.html)

William

SamIAm
05-18-2013, 08:42 AM
2 Kirk's
1 Zank
1 Sachs
2 Weigles
1 Bedford
2 Ellis
3 Goodrich
1 Mariposa
1 Pacenti

Still own

1 Kirk
1 Weigle
1 Ellis
1 Goodrich
1 Pacenti

Wish I still owned

1 Zank

Will shortly own

2 Serottaford's

Could own or sell:

4 Goodrich builds

SamIAm
05-18-2013, 08:44 AM
I have had three bikes built for me, two from Serotta and one Zanconato. All three were on time flawless builds and I would buy from both of them again.

The issue I had with the Serotta builds was a fitter problem that had nothing to do with the fine construction standards of the builder.

One of the forum members contacted me recently and we suspect this might be one of my frames built by Kelly...

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h420/SodaFuel/Fixie%20wheels/CSI_zps8997121e.jpg (http://s1108.photobucket.com/user/SodaFuel/media/Fixie%20wheels/CSI_zps8997121e.jpg.html)

This one was built by Dave and was originally the classic red/yellow fade. Now owned by another forum member...

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h420/SodaFuel/Skunkbird2.jpg (http://s1108.photobucket.com/user/SodaFuel/media/Skunkbird2.jpg.html)

And of course, the Effin Zank! I went to Mike's shop to get fitted and discuss the build and what I wanted out of it. All I can say is Mike nailed it and killed my bike lust for a while.

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h420/SodaFuel/Fixie%20wheels/IMG_1330.jpg (http://s1108.photobucket.com/user/SodaFuel/media/Fixie%20wheels/IMG_1330.jpg.html)

William

That Zank is awesome. As I recall we got ours around the same time. You were wiser than me to hold on to yours.

PacNW2Ford
05-18-2013, 10:46 AM
Custom:

Independent Fabrication Steel Deluxe
Hampsten Strada Bianca Allumino by Co-Motion
Tournesol Le Shopper 650b
333Fab Titanium
Hampsten MAX
Igleheart All-Rounder 650b
Lighthouse Mountain MAX

Not including handmade production bikes:

Schwinn Waterford Paramount OS
Waterford 2200
Gunnar Rockhound
Fat City Cycles Yo Eddy! Team Fat Chance

FlashUNC
05-18-2013, 11:32 AM
The Colossi and the Della Santa I just got in.

Can't wait to build the Della Santa up.

Joachim
05-18-2013, 12:11 PM
Could own or sell:

4 Goodrich builds

Argh....I could kick myself for forgetting about this ^^^, since I needed a new frame after my fit has changed substantially.

happycampyer
05-18-2013, 12:21 PM
Built custom for me: Moots RSL (custom geo), Serotta Meivici and an Eriksen-built Hampsten Strada Bianca.

Minstrie
05-18-2013, 02:54 PM
Four Strongs. One Kirk.

giverdada
05-18-2013, 11:23 PM
Only custom experience ever was with Carl Strong. Awesome.

Been riding the bike increasingly in the past few weeks with the vanished snow and the inability to run after the marathon. The thing makes me smile every time I even look at it, let alone ride it. The ride gets better every single time. Can't wait to take it out without a backpack and baggy shorts on... Hopefully tomorrow. Can't wait, also, to call Carl up again one of these days about a Ti build...

mister
05-19-2013, 02:15 PM

it has some cool details.
built in '85 so it's traditional size tubing, and the geometry they used for race bikes back in those days. it handles like it too.
also CK did alot of track racing i think...so steep angles, short rake and real stiff.
was kinda entertaining when i took it to a framebuilder to spread the rear to 130mm. he clamped the bb to the table and had a 2x4 wedged in the rear and was pretty much jumping on it for about 5 minutes.

i got lucky that the seller had the build sheet when he listed it, so i knew the fit would work, tt is .5" shorter than my davidson but the reach ends up .5" longer...

pretty nice work

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5236/6906073602_787b48b162_c.jpg

gomango
05-19-2013, 04:13 PM
it has some cool details.
built in '85 so it's traditional size tubing, and the geometry they used for race bikes back in those days. it handles like it too.
also CK did alot of track racing i think...so steep angles, short rake and real stiff.
was kinda entertaining when i took it to a framebuilder to spread the rear to 130mm. he clamped the bb to the table and had a 2x4 wedged in the rear and was pretty much jumping on it for about 5 minutes.

i got lucky that the seller had the build sheet when he listed it, so i knew the fit would work, tt is .5" shorter than my davidson but the reach ends up .5" longer...

pretty nice work

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5236/6906073602_787b48b162_c.jpg

As nice as they come.

William
05-19-2013, 07:15 PM
That Zank is awesome. As I recall we got ours around the same time. You were wiser than me to hold on to yours.

It's been good to me. I don't see getting rid of it in the cards but I have had an itch recently for a straight up road bike again.:)

William

retrogrouchy
05-19-2013, 10:54 PM

(ready?)

(really?)

(ok, here it is)

Oh my my! Oh hell yes! Honey, put on that party dress! I need to give CK a deposit before he up and decides to retire!!!

hainy
05-19-2013, 11:10 PM
Current:

Tig Welded Steel Espresso Baum Road Bike - Steve Hogg geometry
Lugged Robin Mather Road Bike - Steve Hogg geometry

Sold:

Tig Welded Capuccino Baum Road Bike

djg
05-20-2013, 07:38 AM
My one made-to-measure bike ever is my Spectrum Ti Super Cross bike. 2012 -- had the fitting done by Tom, in his barn. He nailed it -- great balanced bike that mostly disappears under me, as it should, no fault of the truly fabulous paint job.

So that's it. I've had a couple of Serotta bikes, and certainly Serotta is a custom builder, as it builds custom/made-to-measure bikes. Still digging the HSG Ti road bike, but that was a stock model -- hard to comment on the custom experience.

mattsbeers
11-16-2013, 04:05 PM
My first custom was from Rocklobster. At the time I was racing a lot but wanted all steel race bikes (why? who knows). So I ordered a steel road race frame with the same fit as my carbon teambike. What a dream! I raced a bunch on it and it still have it today. The best handling bike I have ever ridden, bar none. 50 mph sweepers on rough pavement, smooth as silk.

My next was from a local builder that no longer exits, Baron. He now works for Santa Cruz. I got a steel cross race frame (no bottle mounts!) through a sweet deal from a team we both raced on at the time. I gave him the fit and he did the rest. A small issue with chain stay clearance and it was a great race bike....for some one less powerful than me (or thinner). The frame was super light but a noddle. Raced it for three years and sold it to another local and he is still kicking ass on it, so all is good.

My next frame was a steel fender training bike from another local builder. I though I was helping him out (my frame was his number 11) and he thought he was helping me (bro deal). It rode well but the fit was way off from what I told him. Then it got hit by a car and I ordered another with OS tubing and double, triple checked the fit with him. I got the frame, the fit was further off than before and the frame had so many issues. He tried to fix most of them but a few still are remain....and the fit is too off to use as a training bike for 6 hour rides. Still have it but now demoted to commuter duty.

Last but not least my Primus Mootry alloy race machine. I frigging love this bike! I wanted to start racing again and after lusting after a Gaulzetti went the cheaper route and ordered Joe's version. I worked in bike shops for nine years and have owned and ridden hundreds of bikes (Dogma, Tramac, R5, Madone, Caad 5,9,10 super six, etc.) and nothing comes close to my Primus. This bike is a dream race machine and Joe's work is such and deal and was quick and delivered with true perfection.

I have a Hunter cross bike on order so.....to be continued.

Peter P.
11-16-2013, 05:29 PM
1979/80-Richard Sachs. I was 19, in the Air Force, with money to spend. I knew nothing about bike fitting and framebuilders; Richard didn't know enough then to say 'no'. I spec'd the frame using my brief experience with other bikes as a baseline. It was the right size and rode fine, but the top tube was too long and I refused to install a silly short stem to make it fit. Paid $415 for it. Sold it in 1982/3.

1982/3. Replaced the Sachs with a frame built by a friend who was a Cat. 2 racer, quasi-machinist, and hobby framebuilder. I ordered his frame #3. By now I had the geometry down. The frame fit but wasn't straight, and the framebuilder who painted it (Peter Weigle) checked the alignment and said whenever he aligned 'X', then 'Y' would go out of whack. Bike pulled to the left. I rode it a year then threw it in the trash. $500 down the drain. Funny thing is, my friend somehow was incorporated as a bike business even though he wasn't a real shop. He tried to talk me out of the custom frame and into a 3Rensho, which he could have sourced for the same $500. Had I done that I'd likely still be riding it today.

1988-1997. I'd been commuting to work for years and the stock Trek sport touring frame I had broke. I searched Bicycling Magazine's list of framebuilders and chose Bilenky Cycles, which was then building under the Sterling brand. I ordered a sport touring frame-fenders, rear rack, generator light. Nice lugged steel frame that handled the commuting job, as well as race training, errand boy, and foul weather just wonderfully. It was stolen.

1997. I replaced the stolen Sterling with a Bilenky Signature Clubsman. Customer service was appalling, including when the frame broke and I had Bilenky repair it. But I still have it and the handling of this bike is perfect for my tastes, and the duties it performs.

2009-I had a very bad experience with a popular framebuilder who specializes in mountain bikes. The first frame had so many errors I sent it back, giving the builder the option of repair, replace, or refund. The replacement corrected the errors but the frame didn't ride straight. I paid Peter Weigle to check the alignment and watched him do so. He said to me, "a hobby builder using a door as a surface plate could have constructed a straighter frame". I sent it back and promptly received a refund. I then turned to Paul Sadoff at Rock Lobster to build my ATB frame. I can't say enough good things about dealing with him. The frame is everything I wanted and more. There was a problem with the clear paint over powder coat but he readily accepted the frame back and corrected the problem. I was so pleased that it pained me, when I was in the market for a new road frame, to choose someone else. The only reason I didn't buy a second Rock Lobster is because I like variety.

2013. My 28 year old 2nd hand, lugged steel Trek (which replaced the 1982/83 hobby frame above) broke. I just took delivery of it's replacement in September 2013. This is the first time I've mentioned it on any bike forum because I haven't finished writing a review, but the pics are up. So The Paceline gets the inside scoop! Sean Walling was a pleasure to deal with. I spec'd the geometry; he did everything else.

See the pics of my Soulcraft Royale HERE (http://www.flickr.com/photos/53479013@N00/sets/72157637209167644/).

OtayBW
11-16-2013, 06:04 PM
IF Club Racer built for me, and
Serotta Legend Ti

Serotta was custom built for someone else, but I picked it up new as the person had to bail on the deal for some reason.
IF currently has fenders on and is commissioned as my winter tank.

mtb_frk
11-16-2013, 06:05 PM
2 Sevens
1 Quiring

Both builders were good to work with. Seven was a through a LBS so my interaction with them with minimal. But they answered all my questions any time I had them and built two great bikes.
Scott Q. built me a SS mtb based on my Seven and was also good to work with, and made me a great bike. I had talked to him a few times at Iceman over the years, he is a class act.

I am lusting after a Zank. This thread isn't helping of course. :)

ultraman6970
11-16-2013, 06:07 PM
Had like 3 from a builder you guys don't know, sold 2 and I still have one of them hanging, need parts to put that frame together, some day I guess :D