PDA

View Full Version : "Cycling Spandex Coup d'Etat"

laupsi
05-16-2013, 08:14 AM
I must be living in a bubble or perhaps I'm simply old and out of touch. Was not aware of the issues w/wearing my "kit". this in today's WSJ.

Nooch
05-16-2013, 08:29 AM
hrm. i commute in 'kit.' guess that makes me the worst kind of cyclist...

mktng
05-16-2013, 08:30 AM
Because people started wearing kits after Lance... right.

JAGI410
05-16-2013, 08:31 AM
Fred does not mean loser. That article is quite harsh and judgmental.

mktng
05-16-2013, 08:32 AM
^ Fred

William
05-16-2013, 08:33 AM
^ Barney!

:)
WIlliam

572cv
05-16-2013, 08:46 AM
^Wilma!

^his boy Elroy!

redir
05-16-2013, 08:50 AM
Because people started wearing kits after Lance... right.

And bright colored jersey's LOL Anyone remember the 80's?

downtube
05-16-2013, 08:53 AM
^Wilma!

^his boy Elroy!

Hey wait a minute, let's not rewrite history.....

Elroy was Georges son

Pebbles is Fred's daughter

And Dino was his errrrr dinosaur

572cv
05-16-2013, 09:23 AM
Hey wait a minute, let's not rewrite history.....

Elroy was Georges son

Pebbles is Fred's daughter

And Dino was his errrrr dinosaur

Conflated cartoons are us. The past is the future and visa versa.....my bad.:help:

mcteague
05-16-2013, 10:22 AM
Conflated cartoons are us. The past is the future and visa versa.....my bad.:help:

Sometimes thread drift is fun. For myself, I wear bright, tight fitting clothing on the bike. I do, however, avoid team jerseys. Fit and material are functional and the bright colors may assist in making me a bit more visible. Subtle and tasteful over loud and brash is my direction. Didn't like LA before the fall so no change there.

Tim

mktng
05-16-2013, 10:27 AM
i've heard the whole team kit is a no no.
but seriously.. if I can find a authentic team kit for cheap... im buying it!

rando
05-16-2013, 10:49 AM
There is money in selling the kids on unsanctioned booze ups and tattoos. More bikes and bike related crap are sold to that age group than Lance's sponsorship's did. At the same time Masters racing has exploded almost to the point fields are bigger than Elite races. Again, more bikes and bike related items are going out the door than during the last resurgence of popularity racing had. 6 full kits and two bikes a year take a good size net to catch all the cash.

They actually interrupted that article with a stock quote in case you are missing what spurred the need for that to be written, Nike is down .26%. (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324767004578485194028851214.html?m od=wsj_streaming_stream)

Never have I heard anyone complain about someone in the Northern US covering their pasty legs in the Spring with tall black socks to take the glare off. NY is pretty far North the last time I checked.

GRAVELBIKE
05-16-2013, 10:51 AM

Prendas in the UK usually has good prices on team kit (example: Nalini/MOA bibs for under $40).

Ardan MacNessa
05-16-2013, 10:58 AM
http://images.linnlive.com/5e5aa1838d2f1456e0ec2c4cd08c09d3/25de6400-6fee-4f05-aca3-58e561e57b77.jpg
I stopped wearing these recently but still do the red nail polish and over sized beads.

Elefantino
05-16-2013, 11:03 AM
Saying "the whole team kit is a no no" is a no no.

;)

OldCrank
05-16-2013, 11:09 AM
BWAAHAHAHA I love this stuff!!

Butt now I must attend to my boils.

mcteague
05-16-2013, 12:19 PM
During football season,whenever I go to the local grocery store my eyes are assaulted by scads of purple Ravens jerseys. Not just most of the staff but a good chunk of the customers as well. Men and woman. Whoever figured out how to get females so interested in football that they wear the clothing is some kind of mad genius. And these have the name of their favorite player on the back. Cycling kit really does not hold a candle to what goes on here.

Tim

flydhest
05-16-2013, 12:25 PM
I essentially only cycle in a full team kit.

Of course, it is of the team I ride for.

The downside is now I have to worry about others judging me. Oh, wait, I gave up on that in high school. Never mind.

beeatnik
05-16-2013, 12:53 PM
Solid-colored and stitched with breathable fabrics, new cycling apparel has emerged from giants like Levi’s and startups like SWRVE, Aether Apparel and Rapha, the Prada of cycling wear. Their customers, they boast, can go from bike to boardroom without changing. “You don’t have to wear a space suit and pointy helmet to ride a bike,” said Chris DiStefano, spokesman for Rapha, whose chief marketing officer once handled the Lance Armstrong account at Nike.

Hey Raphaz if I don't have to wear a space suit to ride my road bike, why do you guise keep spamming me with "personalized" SKY Team and Rapha "Pro" space suit spandexes.

mktng
05-16-2013, 12:56 PM
haha.
like I said. its what people say. I wear what I can afford :)

67-59
05-16-2013, 01:39 PM
During football season,whenever I go to the local grocery store my eyes are assaulted by scads of purple Ravens jerseys. Not just most of the staff but a good chunk of the customers as well. Men and woman. Whoever figured out how to get females so interested in football that they wear the clothing is some kind of mad genius. And these have the name of their favorite player on the back. Cycling kit really does not hold a candle to what goes on here.

Tim

Any overweight person (i.e., the majority of Americans) can wear a football jersey, and the jersey actually helps hide the girth. In contrast, cycling kit makes overweight people look really overweight. IMHO, the cycling kit backlash isn't so much rebellion against Lance...it's the fat guys getting upset about people who can still get away with form-fitting lycra.:cool:

aoe
05-16-2013, 01:56 PM
...it's the fat guys getting upset about people who can still get away with form-fitting lycra.:cool:

I'm not sure anyone really "gets away" with lycra.

mcteague
05-16-2013, 01:59 PM

How many times has this photo been posted?

Tim

laupsi
05-16-2013, 02:01 PM

Tim

yea, but he's either French or Italian

jbrainin
05-16-2013, 02:10 PM

Tim

N+1 too many.

67-59
05-16-2013, 02:30 PM

As a male, if I see a really hot, fit woman in lycra, she certainly "gets away with it" in my book. I saw a cyclist who met this description on my way into work today. And yeah - I let her get away with it.:banana:

Women want you to think they're different when looking at guys. Uh huh....

Lanterne Rouge
05-16-2013, 02:40 PM
I ride only in a full team kit with matching bike and bidons. I have covered my car with the appropriate livery and refer to my wife as Soigneur and colleagues as Domestique's. Yeah that's how serious I am about cycling.

And in case there was any doubt about how serious I am I have used the "Lucinda Sans Unicode" font for this post (I couldn't find Helvetica which as we all know is the most serious font).

N+1 too many.

I disagree - that photo can never be posted too much. It's amazing, truly amazing.

bluesea
05-16-2013, 02:52 PM
The fat Lampre guy actually looks pretty cool, because he's funny and everyone knows its a joke. In contrast take your average cyclist and put them in a public eating establishment with the same get up, and the result is pretty repelling.

spdcyclist
05-16-2013, 03:47 PM
I stopped wearing these recently but still do the red nail polish and over sized beads.

I'm glad. It made you a55 look big. :butt:

Bikerist
05-16-2013, 04:02 PM
Any overweight person (i.e., the majority of Americans) can wear a football jersey, and the jersey actually helps hide the girth. In contrast, cycling kit makes overweight people look really overweight. IMHO, the cycling kit backlash isn't so much rebellion against Lance...it's the fat guys getting upset about people who can still get away with form-fitting lycra.:cool:

+1

A rebellion driven by jealousy and laziness. Mostly from guys sitting in a jacked up truck, wearing camo in the middle of the city.

drinkslinger
05-16-2013, 05:23 PM
I ride only in a full team kit with matching bike and bidons. I have covered my car with the appropriate livery and refer to my wife as Soigneur and colleagues as Domestique's. Yeah that's how serious I am about cycling.

And in case there was any doubt about how serious I am I have used the "Lucinda Sans Unicode" font for this post (I couldn't find Helvetica which as we all know is the most serious font).

I disagree - that photo can never be posted too much. It's amazing, truly amazing.

Dude, you win the internet today!

Lanterne Rouge
05-17-2013, 07:36 AM
Dude, you win the internet today!

mktng
05-17-2013, 09:53 AM
I want to get my hands on some weird unique kits. Ive been looking at kits from bike stores and stuff.

Example.
King Kog NY has a great kit. Fairly priced. But no Large in stock.

Anyone have any ideas of where I should look?

Lewis Moon
05-17-2013, 10:12 AM
Heh...I wear whatever works well. I really DGAS what people think. My daughter likened my usual kit to technicolor lycra barf.

I really couldn't care less.

...except that I really dislike the whole Rapha/Giro hipster marketing trend.

Oops...ya caught me.

PaulE
05-17-2013, 10:15 AM
This morning I wore my US Postal yellow jersey commemorating 5 Tour wins stricken from the record with my yellow and Black on white Lemond socks for irony.

At what point do you go from being a MAMIL to an OMIL?

Lewis Moon
05-17-2013, 10:23 AM
I want to get my hands on some weird unique kits. Ive been looking at kits from bike stores and stuff.

Example.
King Kog NY has a great kit. Fairly priced. But no Large in stock.

Anyone have any ideas of where I should look?

I really want to get my hands on one of these:

http://03200a3.netsolhost.com/WordPress/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Jersey1.2-300x204.jpg

mktng
05-17-2013, 10:30 AM
I really want to get my hands on one of these:

http://03200a3.netsolhost.com/WordPress/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Jersey1.2-300x204.jpg

This is awesome. haha
Too bad they have jerseys only :(
I want to be a Piggly Wiggler

Ahneida Ride
05-17-2013, 07:31 PM
Brooks B17 .... cotton shorts .... cotton t-shirt

Nags&Ducs
05-18-2013, 04:46 AM

Tim

And this guy was just going to the grocery store. FACT!!!

Bkat
05-18-2013, 12:37 PM
How long will it be before a mainstream journalist can write about cycling without mentioning Lance Armstrong at least once in their piece?