PDA

View Full Version : I.C.E. plan for frame builders

SlackMan
05-15-2013, 06:19 PM
I've been a longtime lurker and only recently joined the Paceline. Despite being a new member, I hope that I can offer a potentially useful post about a topic related to some recent posts that seemed to stir up intense emotions.

As I read about the customers of Paul Taylor who lost significant sums of money when he failed to deliver the product promised, I could not help but think about other scenarios that could lead to similar outcomes. In particular, what would happen if the only person or key knowledgeable person running a small frame-building business unexpectedly becomes incapacitated or dies? I came very close to losing $3,300 on a custom wine cellar in such a situation.

Many one-man businesses (or very small business) of any sort lack an I.C.E. plan. An I.C.E. plan is an "In Case of Emergency" plan that is triggered when the business owner is unexpectedly incapacitated or dies. It instructs someone (e.g., a spouse, family member, or friend) how to either wind down the business or keep it going. It must contain information that allows the completion of outstanding transactions or refund money owed to customers whose orders will not be filled. It must tell the person where to find relevant records on outstanding orders and deposits, on bills owed but not paid, on bank accounts, taxes, etc. In short, the I.C.E. plan needs to tell everything anyone would need to know to wind down the business while satisfying all of its obligations or to continue the business so that all of its obligations are fulfilled.

Preparing an I.C.E. plan is not particularly fun to think about, but it is something every business owner should do. Indeed, it's probably obvious that ALL of us, business owners and non-business owners alike, should have an I.C.E. plan. If you were to become incapacitated or die tomorrow, would you spouse or loved ones know where your assets are, what liabilities you owe, etc.? Hopefully, this is a good time for all of us to be reminded of the importance of an I.C.E. plan. And since I will be in the market for a custom frame sometime soon, I hope that any frame builder that I work with would have such a plan.

Here's to hoping this thread doesn't go into a death spiral like some of the other related threads have. :)

Cheers,
Shane

MattTuck
05-15-2013, 06:24 PM
Welcome aboard Shane.

I think the ICE plan has pros and cons (like any other plan), but I respect that you're putting out a thoughtful policy piece as your first post.

In other news, can you share some info about your wine cellar? I'm sensing a paceline ride that ends at your place ;)

Ken Robb
05-15-2013, 06:35 PM
yeah Shane--where exactly do you live? Do you cellar BIG reds? I'll be your best friend. :banana:

csm
05-15-2013, 06:36 PM
Has there ever been a thread on wine cellars?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SlackMan
05-15-2013, 06:39 PM
Welcome aboard Shane.

I think the ICE plan has pros and cons (like any other plan), but I respect that you're putting out a thoughtful policy piece as your first post.

In other news, can you share some info about your wine cellar? I'm sensing a paceline ride that ends at your place ;)

I know you're joking about the wine cellar, but it does make for an interesting story. I ordered from a company that had a 20-year history making custom wine cellars. I'll be charitable in saying that the owner became "incapacitated" because towards the end, there were many emails and phone calls promising delivery "this week," and then "no next week,"' and then "no next week." It all sounded like something business related had gone awry and he was going to hose me. I wound up leaving a stern message (when the previously-full voicemail box would finally allow it) indicating that I was calling the FBI to initiate mail and wire fraud charges if I did not have a bill of lading indicating that if the wine cellar had been shipped the following Monday. Lo and behold, the cellar shipped and I received it. Several other customers who were less fortunate lost thousands of dollars when this business folded.

As for my first post being a policy post, well, it's another long story but I couldn't really introduce myself with a cool bike post. My only bike right now is my 28-year old steel Trek road bike with a variety of Franken parts. When I am fully recovered from compression fracturing three vertebrae, I plan to order a custom road bike.

Shane

SlackMan
05-15-2013, 06:43 PM
yeah Shane--where exactly do you live? Do you cellar BIG reds? I'll be your best friend. :banana:

I live in Central Texas. If you ever find gravel roads near where you live insufficiently challenging to ride, come try the PAVED roads around where I live. I do have some big reds, so you are welcome to visit.

Shane

christian
05-15-2013, 06:44 PM
Ahem, 1985 Treks are pretty f*cking cool in my book.

Welcome.

christian
05-15-2013, 06:45 PM
Cool:

http://www.vintage-trek.com/images/trek/DennisPieper/DP7602.jpg

SlackMan
05-15-2013, 06:59 PM
Ahem, 1985 Treks are pretty f*cking cool in my book.

Welcome.

Agreed. Now take that beautiful Trek in the above pic, make it faded blue with plenty of scratches and nicks, mix in a few newer Franken parts transferred from a recently broken carbon frame, jack up the seat and handlebars dramatically because it's now too small for me, and you wind up with something less cool. That's where my bike is. Which is why I'm hanging out at these forums and planning a new custom frame!

Shane

A1CKot
05-15-2013, 07:51 PM
Has there ever been a thread on wine cellars?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I remember a thread about storing tubulars in wine cellars. BTW welcome to the community.

christian
05-15-2013, 07:55 PM
I remember a thread about storing tubulars in wine cellars.
Posts by cfox are such stuff as dreams are made on.

parris
05-15-2013, 09:19 PM
is that trek a 760 or 770? I had a 770 of the same era for a while.

Tyler Evans
05-15-2013, 09:20 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/551102_490050277690853_1050833077_n.jpg

avalonracing
05-15-2013, 09:37 PM
This reminds me of one of Jimmy Fallon's best "Thank you notes":

"Thank you, microbreweries, for making my alcoholism seem like a neat hobby."

54ny77
05-15-2013, 10:13 PM
http://boxofficeboredom.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/vanilla.jpg

cfox
05-16-2013, 08:15 AM
I remember a thread about storing tubulars in wine cellars. BTW welcome to the community.

Posts by cfox are such stuff as dreams are made on.

You mean this? Christian, I have no idea what you're talking about, what kind of pretentious doof ages tubulars in a wine cellar? Oh, wait...oops...me