PDA

View Full Version : Is this Carver 29er a good deal?

moose8
05-15-2013, 03:58 PM
I've never ridden one, but this seems like a deal: http://maine.craigslist.org/bik/3798920341.html

I'm looking for a frame to use with a rohloff wheelset, and this seems like maybe it would work. Is a broken screw in a sliding dropout a concern?

Thanks for any advice.

christian
05-15-2013, 04:22 PM
I wouldn't have a problem buying it if I could see it and was convinced I could get the bolt out. Would not buy it remotely.

ORMojo
05-15-2013, 04:41 PM
I've never ridden one, but this seems like a deal: http://maine.craigslist.org/bik/3798920341.html

I'm looking for a frame to use with a rohloff wheelset, and this seems like maybe it would work. Is a broken screw in a sliding dropout a concern?

Thanks for any advice.

I agree with the above - if it can be confirmed in person or by proxy that the screw is not an issue, then, yes, this is a deal.

However . . . one other thing, which you may well already be fully aware of - this does not appear to be set up to accommodate a Rohloff. In other words, while you can most likely make a Rohloff work, it will require zip ties and other accommodations that would, ideally, be built into a frame designed from the start for a Rohloff. But, knowing that going in, it should work.

To emphasize my opinion that it is a good deal, if you (the OP) decide not to pursue this, and are local to the bike, please let me know if you would be willing to facilitate my purchase/shipping of the bike.

moose8
05-15-2013, 04:54 PM
To emphasize my opinion that it is a good deal, if you (the OP) decide not to pursue this, and are local to the bike, please let me know if you would be willing to facilitate my purchase/shipping of the bike.

I'm not particularly local (a couple of hours away) but I've been looking for something that wouldn't require a chain tensioner with the rohloff and am willing to drive if I find a deal. I'm going to talk to the guy tonight to see about the bolt issue. I've never used sliders so I don't really know what the implications of a broken screw are.

ORMojo
05-15-2013, 05:13 PM
Good luck - hope it works out for you!

The implications of a broken screw in the setup on that bike are:
1. If the broken set screw can't be easily removed (backing out via visegrip, for example), walk away. Not worth the risk (IMO) of messing up the dropout itself.
2. If the screw can be easily removed, but the threads in the dropout are messed up, all is not completely lost. The set screw provides minimal, if any, "support" for the actual sliding dropout - if the slider is properly tensioned/tightened via the two main bolts, then you don't need the set screw for any support. The main function of the set screw is to "mark" the location for putting everything back in place quickly and accurately whenever you need to remove the rear wheel. In other words, it simply marks the spot where you originally properly placed the dropouts to achieve the desired tension/whatever, and then makes replicating that a whole lot easier. You don't need a set screw, but you will want one.

Hope that helps a bit - I don't think I did a very good job of writing down my thoughts, but I have a 4-year-old climbing all over me much more interested in 4-year-old play than dropout screws.

kurto
05-15-2013, 07:16 PM
Yes, if you can get the screw out, it's a fantastic deal. Great frame, and the parts are pretty nice as well (though I'd change out the fork). Using with a Rohloff might be a PITA with zipties, but it'll work.

Erik_A
05-15-2013, 07:28 PM
I would offer $800 and snatch that badboy up - sweet frame.

Thanks for any advice.

moose8
05-16-2013, 09:17 AM
I couldn't check it out until tomorrow and unfortunately it sold before then.