PDA

View Full Version : OT - Paul Taylor and Lance Armstrong walk into a bar...

Aaron O
05-15-2013, 12:28 PM
They should probably order Lagunitas! I have been so in love with this beer lately...

What beers have you been enjoying that might be under the radar?

moose8
05-15-2013, 12:32 PM
trillium in boston; maine beer company in new england

illdthedj
05-15-2013, 12:43 PM
anything made by Trappist Monks in Belgium.

rugbysecondrow
05-15-2013, 12:47 PM
not in a beer mood. I would drink Templeton Rye. I had it in Iowa last week and wish I brought some back with me.

eddief
05-15-2013, 12:48 PM
Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA and Lagunitas IPA = 2 of the best reasons to ride in Sonoma County. Good to drink before you ride so you don't notice some of the most beautiful pot holed roads around :).

They should probably order Lagunitas! I have been so in love with this beer lately...

soulspinner
05-15-2013, 12:50 PM

Once a week my buds and I do a two for one pint nite and they feature craft beers in rotation(over a dozen decent beers). Lagunitas IPA is one of my 3 favorites of the type. On a Southern Tier (NY) kick.....7.3 percent!!!!!!

Aaron O
05-15-2013, 12:51 PM
I am no prude, but I think PT has been dealt with fairly in prior threads. Making jokes now might not be fair.

I would drink Templeton Rye. I had it in Iowa last week and wish I brought some back with me.

Apologies...thread title is merely meant to be irreverent goofiness, nothing is meant to be read into it other than a way to up thread participation and perhaps a slight lightening of the mood.

Puget Pounder
05-15-2013, 12:59 PM
Mack and Jacks
Manny's
Ninkasi
Deschutes

To name a few

alessandro
05-15-2013, 01:02 PM
Mainly I reach for IPA, but some Belgian styles:

Victory Swing--they call it a session saison. It's only 4.5% ABV, but is tasty, and at that rate, I can have more of 'em

Mystic Brewery Saison is good... in Boston a couple of months ago I had their Vinland One, fermented with yeast grown on a plum in the brewer's backyard. There is no fruit in the beer, yet it has a subtle fruit taste that is restrained, something very hard to find in American beers. Anyhow, delicious.

Then there was the birthday trip to Hill Farmstead Brewery...

Aaron O
05-15-2013, 01:09 PM
I had that Mystic Brewery Saison! It was DELICIOUS.

EDS
05-15-2013, 01:12 PM
Been enjoying Ommegang's Rare Vos recently.

texbike
05-15-2013, 01:13 PM
A wonderful, Belgian-style Tripel. Nothing else has been in the house for months.

Lance would approve although I'm not sure about Paul Taylor...

Texbike

Matt-H
05-15-2013, 01:15 PM
Port Brewing Hop-15
Six Point Resin

mosca
05-15-2013, 01:24 PM
anything made by Trappist Monks in Belgium.I've tried A LOT of beers over the last 30 years, and still think that nothing is quite as good as a Chimay. Also, just found this on Wikipedia:

"As with all other Trappist breweries, the beer is sold only for financial support of the monastery and good causes. The brewery business pays rent for use of the property within the abbey, which is used to support the monastic community. The majority of the profit from the sale of the beer is distributed to charities and for community development around the region. As of 2007, sales figures for Chimay products exceeded $50 million per year.
The water for the beers is drawn from a well located inside the monastery walls. The filtered solids from the beer mash are recycled into livestock feed which is given to the same cows that produce the milk for Chimay cheeses."

Nice business model - anyone know where I can buy some of that cheese?:)

FlashUNC
05-15-2013, 01:27 PM
Anything by 21st Amendment out of San Fran, or Sweetwater in Atlanta.

Totally top notch brewers. Both make my top two IPAs.

Likes2ridefar
05-15-2013, 01:27 PM
I've tried A LOT of beers over the last 30 years, and still think that nothing is quite as good as a Chimay. Also, just found this on Wikipedia:

"As with all other Trappist breweries, the beer is sold only for financial support of the monastery and good causes. The brewery business pays rent for use of the property within the abbey, which is used to support the monastic community. The majority of the profit from the sale of the beer is distributed to charities and for community development around the region. As of 2007, sales figures for Chimay products exceeded $50 million per year.
The water for the beers is drawn from a well located inside the monastery walls. The filtered solids from the beer mash are recycled into livestock feed which is given to the same cows that produce the milk for Chimay cheeses."

i've seen the cheese for sale at many places. personally I don't like it that much but it's mostly because it's a mild cheese and I prefer a little more snap if I'm going to indulge.

One of my favorites on tap after a long ride on a hot day is Weinstephan Hefeweizen but in my realm of beer snobbery this is not really under the radar.

Aaron O
05-15-2013, 01:31 PM
Any other fans of Bell's Brewery? Their Two hearted ale and Oberon are delicious.

Likes2ridefar
05-15-2013, 01:32 PM
Any other fans of Bell's Brewery? Their Two hearted ale and Oberon are delicious.

love the two or three I've had. I recall them being all dark beers. Stouts and perhaps one porter...maybe a scotch ale?

FlashUNC
05-15-2013, 01:32 PM

The Oberon is pretty fantastic.

Aaron O
05-15-2013, 01:35 PM
love the two or three I've had. I recall them being all dark beers. Stouts and perhaps one porter...maybe a scotch ale?

Not the two hearts...it's a very medium bodied ale, though it's classified as an IPA. I think it's a bit more malty than most IPAs. I really like it.

Their Cherry Stout is also very tasty.

texbike
05-15-2013, 01:36 PM
I've tried A LOT of beers over the last 30 years, and still think that nothing is quite as good as a Chimay. Also, just found this on Wikipedia:

Bobo Van Mechelen is the U.S. importer for Chimay products and lives about 1/2 block away from Nick Crumpton in Austin. Bobo has been Chimay's importer for MANY years. If you think their public-facing beers and cheeses are good, you should have a chance to sample some of their limited releases and one-offs. They're incredible - nectar of the gods type stuff.

His wife has been our realtor for a number of transactions and I've had the good fortune to sit across from him at their kitchen table and get buzzed off of the beer and the incredible stories.

Texbike

toytech
05-15-2013, 01:36 PM
Anything by Drake's
and if I can find it Monk's Mistress

Aaron O
05-15-2013, 01:38 PM
I'm definitely going to Belgium to try some of the Trappist offerings in their natural habitat. For some reason Philadelphia is a Belgian beer mecca...if memory serves, we get more Belgian beers than any city but Brussels.

It's nothing too fancy, but I really like the La Chouffe.

Likes2ridefar
05-15-2013, 01:38 PM
Not the two hearts...it's a very medium bodied ale, though it's classified as an IPA. I think it's a bit more malty than most IPAs. I really like it.

Their Cherry Stout is also very tasty.

I havent had the IPA and will have to look for it. The ones I had were on my top 100 beers of all time list put together from ratebeer and beeradvocate. one i believe was called something like the kalamazoo stout. the other was a person's name. helpful, i know!

Aaron O
05-15-2013, 01:40 PM
I havent had the IPA and will have to look for it. The ones I had were on my top 100 beers of all time list put together from ratebeer and beeradvocate. one i believe was called something like the kalamazoo stout. the other was a person's name. helpful, i know!

I keep hearing about an IPA called Green Flash and have yet to try it. Some reliable friends claim it's the best they've had.

Likes2ridefar
05-15-2013, 01:41 PM
I'm definitely going to Belgium to try some of the Trappist offerings in their natural habitat. For some reason Philadelphia is a Belgian beer mecca...if memory serves, we get more Belgian beers than any city but Brussels.

It's nothing too fancy, but I really like the La Chouffe.

I like most all the belgium beers I've had, even the super sour ales, but if I had to give a nod, it would probably be St Bernardus 12 for my taste buds.

I really like Rochefort 10 and westvleteren 12 as well. O, and Chimay Grand Reserve, and gouden carolus grand cru for the emperor (blue print), red print is good too especially for a big blond...uhm, what else. I've been known to split a Delerium Tremens before.

Likes2ridefar
05-15-2013, 01:42 PM
I keep hearing about an IPA called Green Flash and have yet to try it. Some reliable friends claim it's the best they've had.

it's good but would never classify it in the realm of best, ymmv!

soupless
05-15-2013, 01:43 PM
Mack and Jacks
Manny's
Ninkasi
Deschutes

To name a few

Deschutes reminds me of riding in the San Juans a few years ago. Delicious beer.

Have been loving:
Avery IPA
Dales Pale Ale
21st Amendment Back in Black

soupless
05-15-2013, 01:44 PM

It's pretty awesome. V hoppy/citrusy. A pretty typical San Diego IPA

Likes2ridefar
Someone please send me a Pliny the Elder or Younger. I'll give you my Cervelo R5 for a case.

Likes2ridefar
San Diego IPA

alesmith!

soupless
05-15-2013, 01:45 PM

Also, they get mad props for sponsoring a bike team that rides Oberon themed Quirings!

Louis
05-15-2013, 01:46 PM
The Trappist beers top my list, but for something from this side of the ocean, Unibroue in Canada makes some very, very good beer. La Fin du Monde is my favorite of theirs.

http://diningindc.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/unibroue.jpg

Likes2ridefar
05-15-2013, 01:48 PM
The Trappist beers top my list, but for something from this side of the ocean, Unibroue in Canada makes some very, very good beer. La Fin du Monde is my favorite of theirs.

http://diningindc.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/unibroue.jpg

while on canada, how about Péché Morte? a delicious stout from quebec

zmudshark
05-15-2013, 01:49 PM
Costco here in PHX has been having Lagunitis IPA and Stone IPA recently. My wife picked up a case of Two Hearted when she was in MI a few weeks ago. It is awaiting my return in nice cold, dark spot ;) Nice that Costco has good beer lately. Shorts is another MI brewery, Huma Lupa Licious is their IPA.

When in AZ, try some Mudshark Desert Magic IPA. I believe it was named after me!

moose8
05-15-2013, 01:49 PM
it's good but would never classify it in the realm of best, ymmv!

I'd second this - Green Flash is a very good beer, but for IPAs I'd pick a Heady Topper or a Lunch IPA any day over it. This may be a function of me being on the east coast, so the local beers are fresher which matters for the hop flavors - on the west coast the Green Flash may taste better because it's not spending as much time in transit/on a shelf. I haven't tried Pliny, but it's also supposed to be awesome.

Likes2ridefar
05-15-2013, 01:52 PM
my favorite reasonably accessible IPA is Dogfish Head 90 minute. but I'm east coast as well!

I've not had Heady Topper or the Lunch IPA you mention. I've tried to score heady topper a few times from people who go skiing but so far it's always been sold out. A coworker had it on tap in VT and said he wasn't that impressed, but I'll be the judge of that myself!

pliny is pretty much impossible to get as far as I can tell. I gave up on it.

Dreadnaught IPA is awesome but tough to get unless you live in IN.

redir
05-15-2013, 01:54 PM
I think IPA's have gotten out of hand in the last ten years or so. I had some Black Cannon the other day that was quite good though. A black IPA.

killacks
05-15-2013, 01:54 PM
Anchor Bock (Anchor Steam Brewery)

Scrimshaw Pilsner (North Coast Brewery)

Matt-H
05-15-2013, 01:58 PM

Yeah, it's a really good West Coast IPA... among many. Pretty expensive.

Bells Two Hearted is a really good IPA. Their Hopslam is good, too, but not deserving of unicorn beer status imo.

I love the classic Belgian greats, but am also a sucker for the relative newcomers De Dolle Brouwers.

yngpunk
05-15-2013, 01:58 PM
i've seen the cheese for sale at many places. personally I don't like it that much but it's mostly because it's a mild cheese and I prefer a little more snap if I'm going to indulge.

One of my favorites on tap after a long ride on a hot day is Weinstephan Hefeweizen but in my realm of beer snobbery this is not really under the radar.

Alas, probably the pasteurized milk version, since the raw milk version isn't allowed to be exported into the US

yngpunk
05-15-2013, 02:01 PM
The Oberon is pretty fantastic.

Nothing says summer like an Oberon. I remember when they got into a dispute with their distributor and pulled out of the Chicagoland market for a bit until things got resolved.

Likes2ridefar
05-15-2013, 02:02 PM
Alas, probably the pasteurized milk version, since the raw milk version isn't allowed to be exported into the US

yes it certainly was. But I don't see how that would change much for this type of cheese. Subtle flavors, perhaps?

I always thought the chimay cheese would best fit being melted on a burger matched with one of their fantastic beers, but I still think I'd always reach for something a little stronger but like I said, that's just my preference.

FlashUNC
05-15-2013, 02:02 PM
Craziest I've had lately is Durham NC's own Fullsteam brewery's Working Man's Lunch.

The attempted to model the flavor after the combined flavors of eating a Moon Pie and drinking an RC Cola. Hence the name in true Southern fashion. I'll be damned if they didn't accomplish the goal either. Its eerie. I couldn't drink a whole pint, but its a pretty incredible brewing accomplishment.

http://www.fullsteam.ag/beer/workers-comp/

moose8
05-15-2013, 02:04 PM
anything by these guys is also really good. I was very impressed with their sours at a beer festival.

http://www.cascadebrewing.com/

Ardan MacNessa
05-15-2013, 02:10 PM

Yes....

kurto
05-15-2013, 02:20 PM
Yes....

I haven't been to Bell's in a few years, but the last time I was there, I drank the list (which was only like 7 different beers). It appears that would be harder to do now...

mosca
05-15-2013, 02:26 PM
Thanks Likes2ridefar and yngpunk for the cheese info. Will do further diligent research.

Bobo Van Mechelen is the U.S. importer for Chimay products and lives about 1/2 block away from Nick Crumpton in Austin. Bobo has been Chimay's importer for MANY years. If you think their public-facing beers and cheeses are good, you should have a chance to sample some of their limited releases and one-offs. They're incredible - nectar of the gods type stuff.

His wife has been our realtor for a number of transactions and I've had the good fortune to sit across from him at their kitchen table and get buzzed off of the beer and the incredible stories.
^^^officially jealous...

Someone please send me a Pliny the Elder or Younger. I'll give you my Cervelo R5 for a case.
Pliny the Younger is pub-draft, line-up-early-at-selected-pubs-for-two-weeks-in-February only. I need to make that happen at least once in my life.

Ardan MacNessa
05-15-2013, 02:27 PM
I haven't been to Bell's in a few years, but the last time I was there, I drank the list (which was only like 7 different beers). It appears that would be harder to do now...
Not really. Invite friends. It goes down easier.:banana:

soupless
05-15-2013, 02:57 PM
Costco here in PHX has been having Lagunitis IPA and Stone IPA recently. My wife picked up a case of Two Hearted when she was in MI a few weeks ago. It is awaiting my return in nice cold, dark spot ;) Nice that Costco has good beer lately. Shorts is another MI brewery, Huma Lupa Licious is their IPA.

When in AZ, try some Mudshark Desert Magic IPA. I believe it was named after me!

Shorts makes me think of Christmas Up North.

Michigan is the best state for beer in the entire country.

Pars
05-15-2013, 03:03 PM
Lots of good beers. I am partial to Lagunitas little sumpin sumpin APA as well. I need to try Three Floyds Zombiedust IPA also.

alessandro
05-15-2013, 03:23 PM
...is over the top, to my taste. I love hops, but it's too much. I get palate fatigue. I can drink one, and after that I'm pretty much done for the evening, which is less fun. Heresy, I know, but not everyone likes carbon bikes either, right?

The beer is available from the cannery in Waterbury, which is right off I-89, for those in a driving mood. In Burlington, deliveries are usually on Tuesdays at 10:00-11:00 a.m., and the stores are sold out by 5:00 p.m., sometimes earlier.

tkbike
05-15-2013, 03:36 PM
Currently drinking this, bottle wise as you can tell by the cap on the MTB. But we drank these last weekend.

I Want Sachs?
05-15-2013, 05:19 PM
St. Pauli Girl for Paul Taylor, afterall, that's the beer named after him, right?

Whatever Floyd Landis had at TDF would do for Lance.

Peter B
05-15-2013, 05:29 PM
Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA and Lagunitas IPA = 2 of the best reasons to ride in Sonoma County. Good to drink before you ride so you don't notice some of the most beautiful pot holed roads around :).

My choice comes from a little further north in Sonoma County--Anderson Valley's Hop Ottin' IPA. Mmmm....

Steve in SLO
05-15-2013, 05:46 PM

If you like this, Green Flash and Racer 5 are comparable.

Hop Stoopid from Lagunitas is a great IPA...one of my favs.

Just remember: with any of the IPAs their hop taste decrements fairly quickly with time and exposure to light, so don't judge them unless they're fresh and preferably on tap.

I returned from Maine yesterday and had Allagash White nearly every day on tap. So good when it hasn't travelled 3k miles.

mike p
05-15-2013, 05:53 PM
No new beers but I just bottled up a batch of Limoncello! Came out great!

Mike

wc1934
05-15-2013, 06:11 PM

Regarding beer sales at Costco (not trying to derail this thread) - From what I've read, at least here in MA, Costco must sell beer/wine to anyone - even if you do not have a Costco card - same goes for their pharmacy - those 2 licenses are administered by the State, thus those products must be available to all - Costco, BJ's etc all must sell those products to the public, but they would like to keep that a secret.

zmudshark
05-15-2013, 06:14 PM
Regarding beer sales at Costco (not trying to derail this thread) - From what I've read, at least here in MA, Costco must sell beer/wine to anyone - even if you do not have a Costco card - same goes for their pharmacy - those 2 licenses are administered by the State, thus those products must be available to all - Costco, BJ's etc all must sell those products to the public, but they would like to keep that a secret.

This is true. But why would you not have a Costco membership?

oldpotatoe
05-15-2013, 06:37 PM
Lots of good beers. I am partial to Lagunitas little sumpin sumpin APA as well. I need to try Three Floyds Zombiedust IPA also.

I feel like a sram user on a Campagnolo forum..

No micro/craft/IPA, blah blah, have I ever tasted that I liked. Nothing from Belgium either. I do like some German, other Pils..Mexican, Canadian..

Pretty plebian in my beers tastes...If I mentioned some of the ones I like, even tho it is 100% personal, I'm sure I'd get slammed but that wouldn't mean I drank some of the mentioned stuff. yuk

LegendRider
05-15-2013, 07:15 PM
I'm not a beer expert, but I enjoyed this recently.

http://www.motherearthbrewing.com/page/endless-river1.html

MarinRider
05-15-2013, 07:26 PM

The best IPA in Sonoma are Pliny the Elder and Pliny the Younger from Russian River. The Younger in particular is rare and worth the anticipation every year.

Death and Taxes from Moonlight might be the best local brew, perfectly capturing the spirit of the land here.

Also partial to Big Daddy from Speakeasy, comes in bottles for drinking at home, though they are from the city, not Sonoma.

dancinkozmo
05-15-2013, 07:32 PM
anyone try Trader Joes "Nametag" ??

surprisingly good quaffing beer and as a bonus----3.99 a six pack !!

Jack Brunk
05-15-2013, 08:53 PM
Double Dog Double Pale Ale. Great Divide Brewery Double Hercules DIPA, as Chen mentioned Pliny is without peers, Dogfish Head 90 IPA and just recently had the 120 IPA(WOW!) and finally Dogfish Head Palo Santo. My garage frig is always stocked with the above mentioned.

bheight1
05-15-2013, 09:25 PM
Readily available West Coast IPA's: Sculpin IPA from Ballast Point and Union Jack from Firestone Walker--very well balanced. Midwestern hearty ales from Founders. Anything from hard-to-find East Coast brewers from Hill Farmstead Brewery in VT and the up and coming Rushing Duck right here in Hudson Valley.

Louis
05-15-2013, 10:54 PM
I do like some German

I have to mention Weihenstephaner Korbinian (Doppelbock style)

Absolutely fantastic (ATMO) - try it if you ever have a chance.

http://thefullpint.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/Korbinian.jpg

bcm119
05-15-2013, 11:59 PM
Readily available West Coast IPA's: Sculpin IPA from Ballast Point and Union Jack from Firestone Walker--very well balanced. Midwestern hearty ales from Founders. Anything from hard-to-find East Coast brewers from Hill Farmstead Brewery in VT and the up and coming Rushing Duck right here in Hudson Valley.

Sounds like you know beer. I have been impressed with a few breweries in the Hudson Valley when I visit my folks back there-- Newburgh Brewing and Peekskill Brewery. Both made nice clean, interesting beers. Will have to try Rushing Duck next time I visit.

flydhest
05-16-2013, 06:13 AM
Off to Ft Collins, CO on Saturday for four days of riding in the mountains and local brews. New Belgium (Fat Tire) is the most famous, but there are several other breweries in town as well. Moreover, if all you know of New Belgium is Fat Tire, you are under appreciating them. That said, Avery and Equinox Breweries, inter Alia, make me smile.