PDA

View Full Version : lightweights

T.J.
05-15-2013, 07:19 AM
I did a search but searching the word "lightweight" brings up a lot of stuff :rolleyes: Anywho, I have a chance to pick up a set of Gen III Lighweights. Anybody here have much time on them?

PS : I know they are way more wheel than I need but hell, how many of us ride bikes that are way more than we need?

Lionel
05-15-2013, 07:42 AM
Go for it ! Tried them and they are nice.

cfox
05-15-2013, 07:52 AM
I have had a season on a set on Gen 3. They are freaky wheels; they are so light but so stiff. I know I sound like James Huang (bike reviewer guy??), but I don't know how else to describe it. I think the stiff feeling comes from them being essentially a one piece wheel. The spokes are molded under massive tension and set pretty wide, too. Braking is fine, on par with other carbon wheels. They behave very well in side winds, too, which surprised me as their profile is nothing cutting edge. In think around 50mm for deep wheels is about perfect. (Enve 65's blew me around a lot).

edit: possible downsides depending on the user: clackety DT240 hub internals (but easy to service), and front hubs that need to go to Germany for bearing replacement (someone in the US would probably do it, though).

laupsi
05-15-2013, 07:53 AM
there's so much opinion out there on wheels that it's difficult to lend opinion w/out skepticism on the receiving end. but you're asking so I'm telling.

been racing/riding for over 20 years, own 2 pair of LW Gen III, tubular wheel sets. have ridden in all conditions. not the best braking surface in wet conditions. they are however, overall, the best performing wheels I've ever ridden and would choose them time and again over anything I've ridden up to this point. caveat; I have not tried every wheel set out there.

T.J.
05-15-2013, 10:12 AM
Just tryin to wrap my head around riding wheels that are that pricey

mktng
05-15-2013, 10:27 AM
ive been living under a rock. checked up prices... didn't know they were THAT expensive. .. wow.

laupsi
05-15-2013, 10:31 AM
Just tryin to wrap my head around riding wheels that are that pricey

fully understood. if your riding profile consists of riding hard, including descending (not to go back to that thread from yesterday) and racing then you will notice a significant advantage riding on a pair of LWs. do not purchase them or any wheel set for that matter for "looks". yes, they're very pricey. again, you need to look beyond price to get performance that LWs or other high end wheels provide. in this case the cost does mean better performance and more so than on a marginal level.

54ny77
05-15-2013, 10:36 AM
while it's not exactly what you're asking for.....a pal of mine rides/races on rzr's. he just raced a big regional race on some borrowed new lw clinchers. liked 'em a lot, from what he told me. that said, for whatever it's worth, he could race on a pair of 36 hole heavy duty open pro's and still do very well.

in other words, top shelf wheels are all pretty good.

T.J.
05-15-2013, 10:37 AM
I do race (cat2). Locally it's mainly crits but travel quite a bit to do mountain road races. That's what has me considering these.

laupsi
05-15-2013, 10:41 AM
don't know what you're currently racing on but if you try a pair of the lighter, deep profile carbons rimmed wheels, such as LW, in a crit, you may suffer, but you'll be smiling underneath!

T.J.
05-15-2013, 10:43 AM
while it's not exactly what you're asking for.....a pal of mine rides/races on rzr's. he just raced a big regional race on some borrowed new lw clinchers. liked 'em a lot, from what he told me. that said, for whatever it's worth, he could race on a pair of 36 hole heavy duty open pro's and still do very well.

in other words, top shelf wheels are all pretty good.

I have read several reviews talking about them being a noticeable difference even over Zipps etc. I think I might a little scared I will get hooked on them

T.J.
05-15-2013, 10:47 AM
don't know what you're currently racing on but if you try a pair of the lighter, deep profile carbons rimmed wheels, such as LW, in a crit, you may suffer, but you'll be smiling underneath!

Ha! Just did a crit this past Saturday that was pretty straight forward / non technical and avg'd 28mph for an hour. If these would have made me smile, so worth it

54ny77
05-15-2013, 11:04 AM
$5k +/- for wheels is insane no matter what brand!

(but that's a different hair-splitting topic not really worth discussing.)

if you can afford to own 'em, go for it.

i know a cat 1 who flew into a curb on his gen iii's at speed (bizarre crit crash), and they survived with zero damage. pretty amazing. body & bike condition, however, not so good....

I have read several reviews talking about them being a noticeable difference even over Zipps etc. I think I might a little scared I will get hooked on them

Jack Brunk
05-15-2013, 11:05 AM
T.J,
I've owned a half dozen set over the years. Fantastic wheel set for sure but compared to a really well built of Enve's, there's no way I'd ever buy another set of LW's. Reasons being one their way too expensive compared to the Enve's and two, I always found it almost near to impossible to deal with LW in Germany with a couple of warranty issues I had.

Jack

redir
05-15-2013, 11:53 AM
I do race (cat2). Locally it's mainly crits but travel quite a bit to do mountain road races. That's what has me considering these.

Do you want to get to cat 1? Well? Do ya?

:p

T.J.
05-15-2013, 11:59 AM
Do you want to get to cat 1? Well? Do ya?

:p

If only it was that easy :help:

Likes2ridefar
05-15-2013, 01:36 PM
If only it was that easy :help:

ride lots and buy the LWs:)

fwiw, would not be my choice of wheels unless I had a number of wheelsets already and/or $ simply did not matter.

poff
05-15-2013, 02:45 PM
If you want the lightest and stiffest climbing wheels go for LW Obermayers, otherwise ENVE is now making classic 25 rim in clincher so that what I would use for climbing setup.

wooly
05-15-2013, 02:52 PM
Yo TJ! I've had two sets. One way back when - purchased from Jack B. They were gen 1. I bought a gen 3 set last year with the blacked out decals. They ride really nicely. I don't race and honestly i haven't ridden mush this year due to work. So they're sitting in my garage, hanging up and taunting me. Now, I'm no JB and haven't tried the new enve smart wheels but there is something about the lw's that keep drawing me back to them. I could've bought the enves last year but like most things in cycling, this one was more of an emotional purchase. Like i said, don't race, pretty slow considering my form, but when i am in shape, i like to throw those babies on and have some fun. Come on out and you can use them. I've got the shimano hub :)

206campyrick
05-15-2013, 07:24 PM
I raced a set of Gen II tubulars for years, and now have a set of Gen III clinchers. Absolutely love the wheels. I agree the price is high, and some say "you can get Mad Fibers for half", but IMHO, these are more than twice the wheel of a Mad Fiber. Wider spokes on MF's are more prone to crosswinds, wheels are more flex (I'm a big guy, 220+), and the finish is well, crappy. Lightweights have been raced for so many years, from pros in the TdF, to us local riders, and I've yet to come across someone whose had a bad experience with them.
With over 35 years in the business, I've ridden so many wheels. Are Lightweights for everyone, under any condition? No. Are they the best combination of low weight, fantastic acceleration, durability and serviceability, and top shelf quality? You bet.
I also have a pair of Enve 3.4's and 6.7's, Campy Eurus, Enve 65's(on track bike), Campy Bora Ultras, and many handbuilts. Each have their place, but Lightweights are really special.

PoppaWheelie
05-15-2013, 10:32 PM
I have two seasons on a set of Gen III's...they're nice for sure. They feel great, though I can't say they make me any less slow. No durability issues for me...so far they've been bomb-proof. Good braking, stiff. Used they cost less than Enve's but I agree w/ Brunk about (fear of) repair. I live near AC and figure Chad would know what to do if I ever busted one of them.

rockdude
05-16-2013, 08:05 AM
I had a pair of LW Obermayers, they did nothing for me. Although, I did get more attention from females.

dd74
05-16-2013, 02:24 PM
$5k +/- for wheels is insane no matter what brand!

They're not $5K here. Much less, in fact.

http://www.bellatisport.com/shop/product/1827/Leightweight_Meilenstein_-_Meilenstein_Clincher_-_Meilenstein_Obermayer.html

54ny77
05-16-2013, 02:31 PM
Anywhere in U.S. at an authorized LBS (which is the only place I'd ever go to buy something like that), you're talkin' $5-6k USD for most models (per pair).

They're not $5K here. Much less, in fact.

http://www.bellatisport.com/shop/product/1827/Leightweight_Meilenstein_-_Meilenstein_Clincher_-_Meilenstein_Obermayer.html

dd74
05-16-2013, 02:35 PM
Anywhere in U.S. at an authorized LBS (which is the only place I'd ever go to buy something like that), you're talkin' $5-6k USD for most models (per pair).
Anywhere in the U.S. is way overpriced, and know it. As is, the warranty for the wheels stands with Carbonsports. If something happens to the wheels, you have to go to Carbonsports. More likely a LBS will wash their hands of the whole thing.

jimcav
05-16-2013, 04:29 PM
I did a search but searching the word "lightweight" brings up a lot of stuff :rolleyes: Anywho, I have a chance to pick up a set of Gen III Lighweights. Anybody here have much time on them?

PS : I know they are way more wheel than I need but hell, how many of us ride bikes that are way more than we need?

I bought a set of the white spoked version in a fit of aesthetic desire. I only got to ride them 5 times before i quit riding in January. I can only say:
--I was slightly embarrrased to have them given how fast i can ride,
--they overall felt awesome,
--i was faster (per my garmin),
--climbed great,
--felt harsher, but more than made up for by sound and speed
--no issues with crosswind for me

this is comparing to enve 6.7 SMART

I would not race them, but only because if i was inclined i'd just rent a pair from hi-tech bikes out here for $150 (that is the 2009 price).

I don't know how to say for you if they are worth it, but they are really nice wheels. And LW North America is out of NY I think.

jbrainin
05-16-2013, 05:05 PM
I bought a set of the white spoked version in a fit of aesthetic desire. I only got to ride them 5 times before i quit riding in January.

I don't know how to say for you if they are worth it, but they are really nice wheels. And LW North America is out of NY I think.

Do you still own these wheels?

ptourkin
05-16-2013, 05:08 PM
Anywhere in the U.S. is way overpriced, and know it. As is, the warranty for the wheels stands with Carbonsports. If something happens to the wheels, you have to go to Carbonsports. More likely a LBS will wash their hands of the whole thing.

The LBS two blocks from my house handles LW warranty issues. I can't really imagine a shop that sells these wheels not doing this - the money spent on a build that these things go on?

jimcav
05-16-2013, 05:46 PM
Do you still own these wheels?

hope springs eternal (and my wife does not know their value)

jim

dd74
05-16-2013, 07:10 PM
The LBS two blocks from my house handles LW warranty issues. I can't really imagine a shop that sells these wheels not doing this - the money spent on a build that these things go on?
Yeah, but it's the same Carbonsports warranty. If there are issues with the wheels, they still have to go back to Germany. The most an LBS can do for you is provide a box and maybe cover shipping costs.

T.J.
05-16-2013, 08:05 PM
I might be stupid but I am racing these every chance I get

dd74
05-16-2013, 08:09 PM
That's what they're made for. It's ridiculous to baby LWs. I know guys who walk their bikes downhill because they're on "fragile" race-ready carbon wheels and afraid of cooking the brake tracks. Or they don't use them at all.

They should get another wheel set, IMO.

wooly
05-16-2013, 08:11 PM

Hell yeah. Did they come with crash protection?

dd74
05-16-2013, 08:16 PM
Hell yeah. Did they come with crash protection?
Good question. I'd get crash protection if I were you, T.J.

LegendRider
05-16-2013, 08:24 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=108778&highlight=lightweight

T.J.
05-16-2013, 08:25 PM
nope no crash protection as I got them from a friend. but what the hell. after riding them I cant see me not racing them

shovelhd
05-16-2013, 08:36 PM
nope no crash protection as I got them from a friend. but what the hell. after riding them I cant see me not racing them

+1. Don't race what you can't replace.

dd74
05-16-2013, 08:43 PM
I think Carbonsports honors second-hand (and third and forth) purchases of their wheels for crash protection.

T.J.
05-16-2013, 08:44 PM
+1. Don't race what you can't replace.

I hear you but cycling is my vice , my one and only vice. I spend zip on anything else really outside mortgage payment, light bills, food etc. my car is a 2012, wifes is a 2013 both paid for. point is in all other faucets of my life I am frugal so I don't have to be when it comes to my racing. I have long lusted over these wheels and had the chance to snag them. having them and not racing them is like ( to me, not speaking for anyone else) is like when you see a $50,000 dollar , quad cab, lifted on lord knows what size tires 4x4 that has never seen a minute off of pavement . I sold my vagen, sold my madone and had bike money setting there and tada! LW's

shovelhd
05-16-2013, 09:08 PM
Hell, yeah. Nobody says the replacement has to be the same thing.

T.J.
05-16-2013, 09:14 PM
Hell, yeah. Nobody says the replacement has to be the same thing.

hoping these are as tough as people say. I have broken my share of zipps

shovelhd
05-16-2013, 09:19 PM
My coach has the Lightweight disc. Sick.

Calnago
05-16-2013, 11:20 PM
Race 'em! What's the point otherwise... to have them sitting around so you can look at them after the race? Enjoy them. Like you say, it's your only vice. Go all out. If you crash you crash. The cars are paid for at least. :banana:

Lol, I'm pretty new to this forum. And have to say, up until now I didn't really know what all the "bananas" were about when I read the posts on my iphone as they dont' show up in animation, just the word "banana". I just included one from the smiley icons which made me laugh. I think I get it now.

akelman
05-16-2013, 11:43 PM
The title of your other thread is "You only live once, right?" That's absolutely right. I woke up one morning last fall and my left leg didn't work. It does again now -- thanks, modern medicine! -- but there are no guarantees. Rock those wheels on that awesome bike. If something happens to them, pick up the pieces then. In the meantime, you only live once, right?

laupsi
05-17-2013, 07:35 AM
one thing that needs mentioning, despite what others on this thread have written my first hand experience w/LW and the warranty has been very positive. if you're not the original owner of a set of LW wheels then I'm afraid you may not get the same treatment. (however I don't know this personally) I did opt for the "service up" plan, and not only does LW stand by their products, they're very easy to work with providing you're the original owner of the product at issue.