PDA

View Full Version : Help me change Campy 11 brakepads

Dan Le foot
05-14-2013, 09:15 PM
So I need to change out the original brake pads on my Chorus 11 to ones that work with the new carbon hoops.
I read a review that stated all you need to do is release the spring tension on the brake shoe and slide the old pad out. Supposedly way easier than the old Campy pads.
I can't get the pad to budge.
What has been your experience?
Thanks.
Dan

lhuerta
05-14-2013, 09:45 PM
Gently insert a slim flat head screwdriver between pad and holder and pry out (your wheel will have to be off, of course). Installing the new pads requires no tools and you should be able to slide right into holder.

BTW...you can find plenty of service videos on Campagnolo's website:

http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/servicevideo/videocatid_4_videoid_29.jsp

Lou

Dan Le foot
05-14-2013, 10:49 PM
Thanks Lou.
They video shows the removal of the pre 2011 system. I did it that way on older brakes. The new ones have a spring that holds the pads in. Suppose to make it much easier to swith pads. Problem is my pads don't easily slide out as promised.
Dan

AngryScientist
05-15-2013, 06:29 AM
when i change brake pads, i put the actual pad block in the bench vise and squeeze lightly. this allows me to put more force on the carrier without destroying my thumbs. that method always works for me. a very small amount of grease on the back side of the new pads helps them slide right in and come out easier next time.

nrs5000
05-15-2013, 10:32 AM
I pry out the old pad as mentioned above. A splash of rubbing alcohol on the new pad makes it slide in easily. The rubbing alcohol evaporates before long, and the new pad will be in tight.

Dan Le foot
05-15-2013, 02:48 PM
Slipping a small screw driver under the pad and popping them off works just fine. Much easier than I thought.
And sliding the new ones on is real easy even without alcohol.
Thanks everyone.
Dan

sfscott
05-16-2013, 12:28 AM
Just changed the pads on my Record calipers. They're not new--maybe about 5-7 years old. Can't remember if I changed them when I went to 11sp

Anyway, I just removed the wheels and pushed the old pads off. No muss, no fuss. New ones went on easy as well. No spring on the carrier but also no hassles taking off the old ones.

Old pads were Reynolds blues and were replaced by Enve pads fwiw.

dd74
05-16-2013, 02:32 PM
when i change brake pads, i put the actual pad block in the bench vise and squeeze lightly. this allows me to put more force on the carrier without destroying my thumbs. that method always works for me. a very small amount of grease on the back side of the new pads helps them slide right in and come out easier next time.
The new Campy brakes eliminate the need to remove the block. You just need to unlatch the spring-loaded lever and push the pad out with thumb or small screwdriver.

ntb1001
05-16-2013, 02:42 PM
I have used a pair of channel lock pliers...the I squeeze the sides of the pad & pull them out.

UberBike
05-17-2013, 11:37 PM
try backing out the screw that mounts the cartridge holder.
some times they are a little too long and drag on the pad.