PDA

View Full Version : Span for replacement forks , F1, Q or Ouzo Pro

Smiley
03-03-2004, 06:41 AM
Ok , let me share with you what I am undertaking right now in my Hors Categorie make over. I have just ordered a new Ouzo Pro fork with 1 inch carbon steerer from my LBS . I have talked extensively with Tomo the guru at Reynolds and other Guru's at Alpha Q because I wanted to know when I replace my F1 ( yes it will be for sale soon , clear coated with threadless steerer ) which has a span of 365 mm with either the Ouzo at 372 mm or the Q at 374 mm span I realized that the head angle would change a tad as I was raising the bikes front end by the tangent ( or sine or cosine, yes Princeton Grad Fly figure it out for me please ) of 7 or 9mm and therefore effecting the head angle a tad. Now here comes the better of 2 questions. Should I have changed the fork rake to 40 mm for the Reynolds and 42 mm for the Q to increase or compensate for the trail change. Also will I be able to ride my new fork with 5 mm less of a spacer below the steerer.

I already know the answers and based on the advice of Master Frame builder Kelly Bedford I stuck with a 43 mm rake and selected the Reynolds fork over the Q cause even though it is only a difference of 2 mm in span I thought the Q would get my head tube angle just a tad more off then I care to experiment with. Funny thing that Tomo at Reynolds could not give me a difinitive answer on the handling change cause he too knew on paper it would change but he could not exactly pin the change to also make a rake change too that would have a real world feel change. While I had Reynolds on the phone I asked them about their adjustable rake fork being sold to Seven and he told me that They being Seven would glue the drop out rake changes in the fork blades. He could not on the record say if this was a good or bad thing as Seven now is a customer of theirs. I am really curious about my fork change out and how this will affect the handling of my bike as well the reduced front end weight of the frame. Has anyone out there made this change and questioned these issues too. All forks are not created equal so its nice to see first hand these changes. Did you reduce your spacer count too? Thanks and maybe e-ritchie or Dave Kirk or dbrk or yes the Jerk will chime in on this one.

Too Tall
03-03-2004, 06:59 AM
It is a good thing. Glue is glue. Parts is parts. Epoxy is so easy to use even I can't screw it up. Alignment OTOH :rolleyes:

Not long ago I built up a gorgeous custom 650 Spectrum with a custom rake Ouzo Pro fork and was wondering how he managed that?!? It is the first small wheeled bike I've ever test ridden that I could ride no hands. Impressive. *Imagine a giraffe riding a grasshoppers bike.

Smiley, why would you EVER NOT do what Kelly tells you to do?

Hey, you want to see an adjustable rake fork? Check out the latest Rivendell Reader.

Smiley
03-03-2004, 07:47 AM
I dare not go against Kelly's gut feeling or thoughts. If it was left up to me I would have shortened up the rake to 40 mm or 42 if Reynolds made that size.

NateM
03-03-2004, 12:34 PM
Smiley,
I have a stock 57cm Ti built in 95.The specs are 73 sta 73.5 hta,7cm bb drop. I went from a threaded F1 fork to an Alpha Q all carbon threadless.I liked the bike a lot more with the Alpha Q.The front end was lighter and had a very nice feel in the corners. I did this swap without any knowledge about span difference. I just liked the Alpha better than the F1. I recently put an Easton EC70 fork, 43mm rake (366mm span) on to accomodate 27mm Roly Polly tires. The front end is quicker,less stable,generally not as nice as the Alpha Q. I'm sure part of this is that the Easton EC70 is not on par with the Alpha Q. Maybe I would just like a more relaxed hta on this bike? You have done your homework,give it a try and please post your evaluations.

Climb01742
03-03-2004, 01:44 PM
smiley, why are you replacing your F1?

Smiley
03-03-2004, 01:48 PM
weight watchers and just to do something different. I need to talk to you off-line about a bike you own . Could you give me your phone # and a good time to call in my mail box . Thanks

zap
03-03-2004, 01:51 PM
Smiley,

I switched to an Alpha Q 3 years ago. Front end was raised up maybe 5 mm and rake went from 43 to 44. Other than the fork being stiffer, I did not notice any handling difference.

Speaking of forks. Yesterday I saw the new Seven fork on an Elium (sp?). In my humble opinion, Sevens choice of finish is questionable. Flat black just doesn't interest me at all.

Climb01742
03-03-2004, 01:58 PM
smiley, check your private messages. climb.