PDA

View Full Version : Forum appreciation day

akelman
05-14-2013, 06:54 PM
Here's an incomplete list of things that people on this forum have done for me:

aoe sold me a bunch of REALLY NICE parts for next to no money. Then he did it again. happycamper did the very same thing (gave me a great deal on some parts). Except that one time he sent me a seat collar for no money at all. Some other people also sent me seat collars for free. Those people know who they are. firerescuefin practically gave me a Record rd this one time. He also offered to arrange an amazing cycling vacation for me (family health issues prevented me from taking him up on it). DRZRM has given me more stuff through the years than I can count. Then again, he's also stolen anything that I haven't nailed down in my shed -- including an Ibis Ti Mojo! -- so maybe we're even. oliver1850 has never failed to provide great advice, and this one time he agreed to a completely unfair trade for a part that I really needed. He does that kind of thing all the time, doesn't he? Jack Brunk sent me a Record fd when I was just getting back into riding. I'll never forget that. At the time, I wasn't sure why he did it, but it completely touched me. Then I learned that Jack is unfailingly generous. That's just who he is. liberace has given me more good deals than just about anyone else here. He's also hooked up friends of mine on a number of occasions. The same is true of gearguywb. These are good people who fly under the radar most of the time. thwart's another guy who's been exceptionally kind to me through the years. Why? Because he's a very good, very thoughtful, very annoyingly fit person. Louis sends me PMs that make me laugh and think and shake my head. He asks after me when my health isn't great. I really appreciate that. oldpotatoe...what's there to say about oldpotatoe? How often has he showed up to answer an insipid question that he's been asked a million times before? Yeah, I've lost count too. And then there's toomanybikes, who, because the tone around here just kept getting coarser and coarser, is gone now. Years ago, toomanybikes sent me a set of Chorus alloy shifters. I still have them. I still use them. I think of them as a gateway drug. I hate toomanybikes. What a jerk that guy is. pdmtong is smart as hell, has great priorities in life, and owns the most beautiful bikes. Yeah, I can't stand him either. Keith A and all of the other mods -- even William, I suppose -- make this place work. I'm deep in their debt. FlashUNC cracks me up. As does Christian. And, now that I think about it, reggiebaseball. What do we owe the people who make us laugh? I wish I knew. Joachim and I should probably just build a set of vacuum tubes between our homes. That would make it easier to swap parts and frames. Oh, xjahx gave me a sweet deal on the bike that helped me get back into riding. I know some people have issues with the dude, but he's a-okay in my book. Honestly, I could go on and on and on and on and on. I know for sure there are a bunch of people I've left out, and I feel lousy about that. Maybe I'll add to this list later. We'll see.

wooly
05-14-2013, 07:10 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mattfr2EDF1r58qigo1_500.gif

Dave B
05-14-2013, 07:12 PM
Yes.

So many here have heled me in ways that words don't due justice.

How can i thank them with the level they deserve. Sandy first and foremost, happy, darrenct, fireres, etc.

This place is unique...people who need it to be way they want only need to wait for a spell and find other like minded folk.

Good thread!

BumbleBeeDave
05-14-2013, 07:15 PM
. . . GAVE me some really nice Specialized sub-zero gloves after reading a winter glove thread that I couldn't keep my hands warm. Thwart GAVE me Campy Record brake calipers for my Vitus restoration. Countless other members of this forum have GIVEN me for free so many valuable life lessons . . .

BBD

eddief
05-14-2013, 07:29 PM
Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
Oh Lord, kumbaya

Someone's singing Lord, kumbaya
Oh Lord, kumbayah

Someone's laughing, Lord, kumbaya
Oh Lord, kumbaya

Someone's crying, Lord, kumbaya
Oh Lord, kumbaya

Someone's praying, Lord, kumbaya
Oh Lord, kumbaya

Someone's sleeping, Lord, kumbaya
Oh Lord, kumbaya
Oh Lord, kumbaya

Louis
05-14-2013, 07:29 PM
I'll limit my comments just to Ari -

Last year I posted a thread with an OT question about health care for my mother, who was coming to the US for some tests and what could have been a serious issue. Ari went out of his way to respond and provide a contact to a friend who was a local MD who in turn was able to answer some questions and provide a further contact to an expert who helped us feel better about the whole thing. In the end my mother didn't need an operation and all is well.

THANKS Ari :):):)

THANKS Forum :):):)

Oh, and I've also bought some great bike stuff from him. :)

akelman
05-14-2013, 07:34 PM
Oh Lord, kumbaya

No, not really. But it's a good place if one doesn't focus on the people who just want to stir the pot. Oh, wait.

akelman
05-14-2013, 07:40 PM
The postman just left a package from texbike, who's another seriously good dude.

eddief
05-14-2013, 07:46 PM
but I get the feeling all of them are just really good all the way around.

wooly
05-14-2013, 07:50 PM
The postman just left a package from texbike, who's another seriously good dude.

Ari - you are a good dude and forum asset. But crap you buy a lot. :banana:

Louis
05-14-2013, 07:52 PM
Ari - you are a good dude and forum asset. But crap you buy a lot. :banana:

Forum Intervention time?

akelman
05-14-2013, 07:52 PM
But crap you buy a lot.

Pot, meet Kettle. Kettle, meet pot. (Have you built the Legend yet?)

Louis
05-14-2013, 07:53 PM
but I get the feeling all of them are just really good all the way around.

Flattery will get you very far! ;)

wooly
05-14-2013, 07:54 PM
Forum Intervention time?

Absolutely. Btw, I've got a 56 Hampsten for a smokin deal...:hello:

FlashUNC
05-14-2013, 08:10 PM
Here's my mental image of Ari:

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/4690387456/hF4A62311/

christian
05-14-2013, 08:13 PM
Absolutely. Btw, I've got a 56 Hampsten for a smokin deal...:hello:Say what? PM me immediately. Ari says I'm funny.

pdmtong
05-14-2013, 08:13 PM
Pot, meet Kettle. Kettle, meet pot. (Have you built the Legend yet?)

This made me laugh, since I too know the wool(y)

Lunch on me (of course) when I see you soon.

akelman
05-14-2013, 08:18 PM
Here's my mental image of Ari

Fuller beard, tighter uniform. Otherwise, yeah, that's me.

akelman
05-14-2013, 08:22 PM
Absolutely. Btw, I've got a 56 Hampsten for a smokin deal...

Wait, what? Have I mentioned that Christian is a bit of a jerk? I mean, sure, he's funny, but not funny in anything like a good way. If you know what I mean.

wooly
05-14-2013, 09:01 PM
This made me laugh, since I too know the wool(y)

Lunch on me (of course) when I see you soon.

HA. I am IN on this lunch. I wish I could steal (or steel) away from my wedding in San Fran this weekend and hook up with you guys for a beer.

wooly
05-14-2013, 09:02 PM
Say what? PM me immediately. Ari says I'm funny.

Ya - we should get some kind of premium bike share program going and just pass these babies around.

rounder
05-14-2013, 09:06 PM
I would ride with and buy lunch for anyone here (probably could not afford to buy lunch for everyone here).

BumbleBeeDave
05-14-2013, 09:15 PM
. . . there are about 9000 members in the database. While far fewer than that are "active" I imagine many of them might become active again at the prospect of a free lunch! :rolleyes:

BBD

I would ride with and buy lunch for anyone here (probably could not afford to buy lunch for everyone here).

Uncle Jam's Army
05-14-2013, 09:40 PM
Ari, cut the crap. Aren't you the one that started the disputative thread? Now you want us to sing Kumbaya? Make up your mind!:p

rounder
05-14-2013, 09:47 PM
TANSTAFL

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

But, I would still ride with anyone here.

xeladragon
05-14-2013, 09:57 PM
Absolutely. Btw, I've got a 56 Hampsten for a smokin deal...:hello:
I thought you barely had enough time to ride your Sachs and Peg... so you decided to remedy the situation by picking up a Hampsten? Lol...

BTW, I've got a Hampsten on the way as well... can't wait!!

aoe
05-14-2013, 11:12 PM
Paragraph Structure Appreciation Thread. Anyone else lose their place when reading this and take 45 secs to figure out where they left off?

I'd guess that the feeling of appreciation, Ari, is mutual and likely even greater back in your direction for most of the forumites that you mentioned.

Louis
05-14-2013, 11:15 PM
Paragraph Structure Appreciation Thread. Anyone else lose their place when reading this and take 45 secs to figure out where they left off?

That's the price you pay for stream-of-consciousness. Almost as good as Faulkner.

akelman
05-14-2013, 11:21 PM

Yeah, I fretted about that a bit. But then I decided that I wanted people to read it all in one breath. I was probably being too cute by half, though, which has been the story of all of my writing lately. Like the forum, I'm in a bit of a rut.

DRZRM
05-14-2013, 11:22 PM
Aww Ari, nicely said...now where the f**k is that Rapha jersey?

Oh, and remember, I didn't steal that Ti Mojo, I swapped it for that Cherry Cycles MTB, which may have actually been worse. What on earth did you ever do with that?

akelman
05-14-2013, 11:33 PM
What on earth did you ever do with that?

Lifting that worse-than-worthless frame into the trash is why I had to have spinal surgery.

Louis
05-14-2013, 11:41 PM
Hmmm. Did the good Dr ZRM warn you that that bike could cause serious bodily harm? If not, you may have grounds for a personal injury lawsuit.

SpokeValley
05-15-2013, 12:14 AM
Too many blessings to count.

Thank you all! :hello:

soulspinner
05-15-2013, 05:23 AM
Been her about a decade. Learned a lot. Maybe more than anything was reminded of the fact there are a lot of great people on this board that want to help others with their cycling. Inspires me to ride even in the hail(Sunday). :p. Keep the rubber down and the atmosphere peaceful. You are among friends........

texbike
05-15-2013, 07:18 AM

Circle of Life my friend! :)

I was in Vecchio's the week before last and Peter and I were talking about what a well-rounded forum this place is compared to others out there. I love this place and rarely venture over to other cycling sites. I've said it before, but this place seems to have the greatest amount of individual life experiences and backgrounds of any cycling forum out there. There is value in that. It rocks.

Hugs and Kisses,

Texbike

Steve in SLO
05-15-2013, 10:32 AM
The best place on the Internet to start my day, IMHO.

I've met, both virtually and in person, and ridden with some really good people from this place.

As for the negatroids, That is everywhere, so I consider that static and don't let that color my impressions of the community.

axel23
05-15-2013, 11:07 AM

Texbike is a great forum member, and even greater in real life. A smooth as silk rider and generous with his knowledge and experience. You can buy from him with complete confidence and you can trust his advice on parts old and new.

merlinmurph
05-15-2013, 11:08 AM
:)

velotel
05-15-2013, 11:35 AM
Nice thread. For myself, I'm always impressed at the subjects that come up, frequently OT, that I learn stuff from. Good stuff. I suppose there's negative stuff based on comments but I just ignore that. Pick the good fruit, let the rest fall to earth, feed the worms. I like the pics people post, the places they ride. For me the forum is a good place to visit. Good enough that I never go elsewhere, not enough time, other stuff to do. Lots of visits I find the posts boring for my tastes. Wait for another day, that'll change, always does. A good forum, thanks all.

slidey
05-15-2013, 11:37 AM
This place is awesome...haven't been around long enough to be hobnobbing with ye old timers on a first name basis.

And, in spirit of the internet forums in general here's a dedication (http://youtu.be/__DrJI7mTHQ) :p

aoe
05-15-2013, 03:05 PM
Been her about a decade. Learned a lot. Maybe more than anything was reminded of the fact there are a lot of great people on this board that want to help others with their cycling. Inspires me to ride even in the hail(Sunday). :p. Keep the rubber down and the atmosphere peaceful. You are among friends........

You bring up a really good point. I came here initially looking for technical knowledge about a Legend frame I had picked up. I stayed because I was learning a ton about bikes and cycling in general. Now, it's the learning about things outside of cycling and the relationships formed with some really great members that keeps me here.

shovelhd
05-15-2013, 05:38 PM
The last experience I had with Campy was early 1980's Super Record. I learn a lot here about modern Campy gear. I'm a Shimano guy, Di2, even, but Campy is great stuff, and I'll never buy it in the future if I don't learn about it first.

soulspinner
05-16-2013, 05:51 AM
You bring up a really good point. I came here initially looking for technical knowledge about a Legend frame I had picked up. I stayed because I was learning a ton about bikes and cycling in general. Now, it's the learning about things outside of cycling and the relationships formed with some really great members that keeps me here.

Cool

BumbleBeeDave
05-16-2013, 06:07 AM
Nice thread. For myself, I'm always impressed at the subjects that come up, frequently OT, that I learn stuff from. Good stuff. I suppose there's negative stuff based on comments but I just ignore that. Pick the good fruit, let the rest fall to earth, feed the worms. I like the pics people post, the places they ride. For me the forum is a good place to visit. Good enough that I never go elsewhere, not enough time, other stuff to do. Lots of visits I find the posts boring for my tastes. Wait for another day, that'll change, always does. A good forum, thanks all.

. . . who posts some interesting pictures occasionally. :rolleyes:

BBD

OtayBW
05-16-2013, 06:24 AM
I've met some really nice women here on the forum. :rolleyes: