PDA

View Full Version : OT: Pushback from A&F public statement/marketing technique

firerescuefin
05-14-2013, 05:02 PM
I got a good chuckle out of the following video...background further down.

Awesome Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O95DBxnXiSo&feature=player_embedded#!

A&F doesn't want to sell women's XL or XXL

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertainment/2013/05/small-sizes-an-overweight-distraction-for-abercrombie-fitch/

CEO Jeffries told Salon magazine, “We go after the attractive all-American kid with a great attitude and a lot of friends. A lot of people don’t belong [in our clothes], and they can’t belong. Are we exclusionary? Absolutely.”

gasman
05-14-2013, 05:46 PM
That is great.
I may have to stop by goodwill myself.

Louis
05-14-2013, 05:53 PM
A&F doesn't want to sell women's XL or XXL

I thought the heroin chic look was out?

toytech
05-14-2013, 05:53 PM
Awesome! I would never buy their stupid crap anyway, but I would love seeing this take off.

slidey
05-14-2013, 06:55 PM
If I had any of the A&F crap in my closet, I'd be doing the donating thing too. Luckily, my wardrobe is like a one-man woot outlet.

fourflys
05-14-2013, 08:40 PM
awesome video...

Louis
05-14-2013, 09:03 PM
OK, I just watched the video.

I think it's insulting to the homeless folks. I'm sort of kidding, but seriously - like "Who are the worst people in the world we can think of to wear that A&F stuff? The most looserish folks, who will most tarnish the A&F image to the max? Oh, how about those homeless people downtown? Yeah, let's have them wear the clothes. THAT will show A&F."

fourflys
05-14-2013, 09:08 PM
maybe, I could see that I guess... I watched it and thought giving the clothes to the homeless is the antithesis of the the CEO having the "cool kids" wearing his stuff...

OK, I just watched the video.

I think it's insulting to the homeless folks. I'm sort of kidding, but seriously - like "Who are the worst people in the world we can think of to wear that A&F stuff? The most looserish folks, who will most tarnish the A&F image to the max? Oh, how about those homeless people downtown? Yeah, let's have them wear the clothes. THAT will show A&F."

Louis
05-14-2013, 09:11 PM
However, if the clothes fit, I'm sure the homeless folks are glad to have them - they don't give a d@mn what hot fashion house created them.

firerescuefin
05-14-2013, 09:13 PM
maybe, I could see that I guess... I watched it and thought giving the clothes to the homeless is the antithesis of the the CEO having the "cool kids" wearing his stuff...

I'd agree with your take Chris. Do something good for the homeless & disrupt their (a&f's) image...double win.

firerescuefin
05-14-2013, 09:14 PM
However, if the clothes fit, I'm sure the homeless folks are glad to have them - they don't give a d@mn what hot fashion house created them.

This

gasman
05-14-2013, 09:19 PM
I'd agree with your take Chris. Do something good for the homeless & disrupt their (a&f's) image...double win.

This was my thinking. I occasionally give Costco granola bars to the homeless as I commute home on my bike.

earlfoss
05-15-2013, 06:32 AM
Is this all shrapnel from his comments about fat people recently?

In the world of fat haters and a$$holes in general I think the win goes to Karl Lagerfeld. Just look up some of the quotes by him over the years.

verticaldoug
05-15-2013, 06:40 AM
In the 12-18 yr old segment, ANF is dead. The cool kids don't where ANF anymore.

54ny77
05-15-2013, 07:44 AM
i walk past their 5th ave. flagship store all the time, and it cracks me up that they make shoppers wait behind a velvet rope as if it was some trendy nightclub.

the meatheads wearing dark suits doing crowd control probably feel pretty stupid listening to parents and kids (tourists, mostly) yapping all day, but hey, it's a job.

In the 12-18 yr old segment, ANF is dead. The cool kids don't where ANF anymore.

verticaldoug
05-15-2013, 08:06 AM
i walk past their 5th ave. flagship store all the time, and it cracks me up that they make shoppers wait behind a velvet rope as if it was some trendy nightclub.

the meatheads wearing dark suits doing crowd control probably feel pretty stupid listening to parents and kids (tourists, mostly) yapping all day, but hey, it's a job.

all tourists. . . my daughters wouldn't be caught dead in that store.

Aaron O
05-15-2013, 08:13 AM
all tourists. . . my daughters wouldn't be caught dead in that store.

I guess for them any press is good press.

ahsere
05-15-2013, 08:21 AM
My wife's niece went to A&F looking for a job fresh out of high school. She was the hottest thing in Manhattan, it was a pain to go for a walk with her with all the cat calls and dirty looks, and to top it off she was "a popular kid with lots of friends", but she wasn't good enough for them, "too voluptuous" (she wasn't) and "had a front teeth gap" (she does, but barely and in fact most people find it cute). I couldn't believe they wouldn't hire her based on her looks. Live and learn. "A&F, where being young, hot and sexy is not enough".