PDA

View Full Version : OT: Camping in California Central Coast/Big Sur

killacks
05-14-2013, 01:02 PM
We're thinking of taking a road trip up to San Francisco in June or July. We'd like to plan on camping for a night or two (not necessarily at the same campsite) along the Central Coast/Big Sur area. There'll only be three of us (Wife, kid and myself).

Here's a VERY tentative idea of what we'd like in a campsite:

-Drive up (i.e. park close to tent site OR sleep in bed of truck next to fire ring/picnic/camp site)

-Bathroom and shower access

-Close to beach (5 min. walk??)

-North of Santa Barbara and South of Monterrey

Anyone have any suggestions or experiences to share?

redir
05-14-2013, 01:12 PM
My only experience to share is that you need to get campground reservations early because they fill up real fast. Other then that it's a great place to be. If you want to go inland a bit and make a big loop then Kings Canyon and Mono Lake is well worth the sights.

PQJ
05-14-2013, 01:24 PM
It's not really camping but it's still rustic, and recommended: deetjens.com.

It's not camping at all and if you want to splurge (and I really, really mean splurge), this place cannot be beat and is highly, highly recommended: postranchinn.com.

Sorry if I gave you info you weren't really looking for.

Big Sur is awesome.

maunahaole
05-14-2013, 02:03 PM
No suggestions other than make sure to pack some warm clothes. It can get pretty cool at night on that part of the coast in the summer. Watch out for ticks - they are everywhere.

enr1co
05-14-2013, 02:12 PM
Did a car camping trip in the Ventana area ~ 10 yrs ago- had a great time and appears to hit most of the requirements you listed.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/ventana-wilderness-camp-big-sur

http://www.bigsurcalifornia.org/camping.html

mvrider
05-15-2013, 12:33 AM
It may not tick all your boxes, but look up Andrew Molera State Park. It is a walk-in campground, meaning that you leave your car in the parking lot, and haul your tent and gear about 10-15 minutes in. It's a big flat field scattered with oak trees. Little mice scurrying around the tent may wake you up in the morning. The beach is only 5-10 minutes walk away.

It's first-come, first-serve, and on a weekday, you may just be able to drive up and find a spot. On the weekends, you'll have to be quite early.

Nearby, don't miss the Big Sur Bakery, right next to the Shell station. Pastries to die for. Also, the views from Nephenthe are justly famous, and the atmosphere is super casual.

On the way down, you would be remiss if you skipped Point Lobos State Reserve. It's one of the loveliest spots on Earth. Look for the sea otters frolicking just off the coastal trail.

pavel
05-15-2013, 12:55 AM
i would be very surprised if there were any unreserved campsites anywhere in big sur for that time frame. They usually get booked as early as feb/march.

ofcounsel
05-15-2013, 12:59 AM
I've camped at several.

Some of my faves:

San Simeon State Park. It's a 4 or 5 minute walk from the lower campsite area to the beach. I've stayed there before and really enjoyed it. They definitely have showers. I've stayed in the upper camp area too, and it's nice as well. It's very close to Cambria, which a great little tourist town with a good Farmers market for fresh produce supplies. Contrary to most other beach campgrounds, I've had luck getting reservations here in the summer on short notice. If you find some here, don't be afraid to stay here. It's on the South end of Big Sur furthest away from populated areas, so it's not as popular. But it's definitely a good location.

http://www.reserveamerica.com/camping/San_Simeon_Sp/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=CA&parkId=120086

Montana De Oro is also a great campground really nice. Not sure if they have showers though (I have an RV, so I shower in it). I'm staying there in June. Bring or rent an MTB because there's some great trails within the park. This one is right on the bluffs over the beach. It's a nice easy walk with a cove style beach good for getting your feet wet. It's very scenic too.

Morro Bay State Park is a very popular campground, adjacent to Morro bay (good for renting or launching a boat, doing some kyaking, but not for swimming). Campground is not my fave from a "campground" perspective because it's parking is set up of in a linear manner up rather than a "loop" set up like most over campgrounds.

El Capitan State Beach, just north of Santa Barbara is one of my favorites. And there's a nice kid-safe bike path that connects to the 2 other campgrounds a few miles north (Refugio and Gaviota). Be mindful, however, these 3 campgrounds are adjacent to the train tracks, and the Amtrak rolls through late at night. Don't stay at any of these if you're a light sleeper.

redir
05-15-2013, 08:12 AM
i would be very surprised if there were any unreserved campsites anywhere in big sur for that time frame. They usually get booked as early as feb/march.

Yeah but if you camp light then a lot of times they can make room for you. A few years ago my GF (who I proposed to on the beach there, yes I know sappy...) drove up and were able to get fit into spots. In fact we went to one camp ground and the attendant said they were full and we looked so bummed and they guy said, well actually I got a spot for you but you can't have a fire and there is no this and that... Sure. It was a spot right on the cliff over looking the Pacific and we were just in time to Open a bottle of wine and watch the sun set. Best car camping spot I ever had in my life.

But that could be much more difficult with a kid and you do have to hope you get lucky.

Of course if you ride a bike they have special biker camp grounds reserved and will almost always find a spot for you.

Steve in SLO
05-15-2013, 10:21 AM
Refugio and Morro Bay fit your preferences well, and Lime Kiln in Big Sur is popular with the locals around here.
There are lots of reviews of campsites if you go to Google and search 'Big Sur camping'.

rinconryder
05-15-2013, 11:06 AM
Jalama beach is unreal.

MadRocketSci
05-15-2013, 11:09 AM
bring deet and tweezers :)

bikingshearer
05-15-2013, 12:54 PM
Buy this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Moon-California-Camping-Complete-Campgrounds/dp/1598807528/ref=pd_cp_b_0

It will tell you almost everything you need to know about every possible campsite in California, including in the Big Sur area, and will give contact info so you can do follow-up research or try or make reservations. It is an invaluable resource.

maunahaole
05-15-2013, 01:59 PM
If you are taking a bike - go ride the Old Coast Road, which goes from Andrew Molera to the Bixby Bridge. You will need climbing gears or really good climbing legs and some big tires. It can get breezy at the top of the hill.